Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Longsword Versus Scimitar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

lesta
[ Display Name History ]

lesta

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 56 posts
the ultimate way for training considering your attack is 60 or just a bit more would be

Dragon scim

dragon b axe spec

2 doses of sup att (only on first spec after its just 1 zip)

voila ... nothing more to debate bout

ok ok ... if u have at least santa u could use str pots and instead of d b axe d dager++ spec

d long is just as aged weapon as r2h in f2p --- there is really no need for this topic since it shouldd be known from the moment there was a quest update: monkey madness - only excuse for d long now is - I wont bother doin the quest coz soon i can wear whip

net180
[ Display Name History ]

net180

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 13 posts
After having used both extensively, i vote longsword for a number of reasons:

- It is more accurate.. i just HATE zeroes

- The strength bonus is better.. Gatta love those 25s

- The spec is better.. I'd rather hit MUCH higher than end their protection prayers for a mere 5 seconds!

- More versatile.. you can slash or stab!

I can live with a slightly slower speed. Looking in an old file of calculations, i think d scimmy gets 5 hits for every 4 d long hits. If one of those d long hits is a special and the randomizer is taken out, dragon longsword should do more damage over the course of the fight. Also, because of it's less accuracy, chances are the d scimmy will hit more zeroes than the d long, furthering the longsword's lead.

For training however, i vote d scimmy.

~Net

Cacmypants
[ Display Name History ]

Cacmypants

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:5th Density
  • RSN2:Precise Nova

- The spec is better.. I'd rather hit MUCH higher than end their protection prayers for a mere 5 seconds!

I can live with a slightly slower speed. Looking in an old file of calculations, i think d scimmy gets 5 hits for every 4 d long hits. If one of those d long hits is a special and the randomizer is taken out, dragon longsword should do more damage over the course of the fight. Also, because of it's less accuracy, chances are the d scimmy will hit more zeroes than the d long, furthering the longsword's lead.

~Net

I could argue against this, but it could turn out ugly. I just dont like the fact that you are suggesting that the d scimmi it's OH SO MANY zeros compared to the d long, when there really isnt much of a difference, especially if you've got a half decent attack level.

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

~Net

Valid points, but not by as much as you think. The increased accuracy over D scim is minimal. About the same difference between bronze and iron.

Str bonus is nice, but it won't increase your max hit unless you are about to in combination of other things,

Spec is good, but damage still is not as good.

Stab is a bonus. But where would you use it?

Also, your thinking of 4-5 ratio is correct, but your thinking is incorrect. If you take out the randomizer, and hit the max everytime, D scim would win in a absolute landslide. Dlong spec or not. If you think about it, 4 more hits with +1 damage over D scim(best case scenario), is not going to offset a EXTRA HIT. Would you rather hit 25-25-25-25, or 24-24-24-24-24?

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.
I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.
PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.
My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Cacmypants
[ Display Name History ]

Cacmypants

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • RSN:5th Density
  • RSN2:Precise Nova

~Net

Valid points, but not by as much as you think. The increased accuracy over D scim is minimal. About the same difference between bronze and iron.

Str bonus is nice, but it won't increase your max hit unless you are about to in combination of other things,

Also, your thinking of 4-5 ratio is correct, but your thinking is incorrect. If you take out the randomizer, and hit the max everytime, D scim would win in a absolute landslide. Dlong spec or not. If you think about it, 4 more hits with +1 damage over D scim(best case scenario), is not going to offset a EXTRA HIT. Would you rather hit 25-25-25-24, or 24-24-24-24-3?

hehe, fixed

Fairness
[ Display Name History ]

Fairness

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

~Net

Also, your thinking of 4-5 ratio is correct, but your thinking is incorrect. If you take out the randomizer, and hit the max everytime, D scim would win in a absolute landslide. Dlong spec or not. If you think about it, 4 more hits with +1 damage over D scim(best case scenario), is not going to offset a EXTRA HIT. Would you rather hit 25-20-0-24, or 24-24-24-24-4?

hehe, fixed

Fix'd: The revenge!
Posted Image

You're being watched.

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts
lol.

go2guy
[ Display Name History ]

go2guy

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 53 posts
Scimitar. nuff said. :thumbup:
Posted Image

lorddayu
[ Display Name History ]

lorddayu

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • RSN:lorddayu
  • RSN2:d a y u
If you're fighting NPC's and you're working on strength, dragon scimitar would be the better choice. If you're in PvP, think about getting a longsword. In any other situation, or if you want to go into PvP with a whip, get a whip, it's faster and stronger than the longsword.

net180
[ Display Name History ]

net180

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 13 posts

Gatta love posts like this.

About my calculation errors, you're right, of course. *facepalm*

Looking at the str bonus once again it's +5, which is an increase of 1 damage, probably 2 max.

So upon futher examination, i change my mind :)

D long really does look cooler though ;)

~Net

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

If you're fighting NPC's and you're working on strength, dragon scimitar would be the better choice. If you're in PvP, think about getting a longsword. In any other situation, or if you want to go into PvP with a whip, get a whip, it's faster and stronger than the longsword.

Scimmy beats longsword by a mile in PVP. Obviously whip's better for both PVP and training.
Posted Image
Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29
GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots
Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Gatta love posts like this.

About my calculation errors, you're right, of course. *facepalm*

Looking at the str bonus once again it's +5, which is an increase of 1 damage, probably 2 max.

So upon futher examination, i change my mind :)

D long really does look cooler though ;)

~Net

It is impossible to increase your max hit by 2 with D long.

You would be VERY lucky to increase by 1.

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

~Net

Also, your thinking of 4-5 ratio is correct, but your thinking is incorrect. If you take out the randomizer, and hit the max everytime, D scim would win in a absolute landslide. Dlong spec or not. If you think about it, 4 more hits with +1 damage over D scim(best case scenario), is not going to offset a EXTRA HIT. Would you rather hit 25-20-24-24, or 24-24-24-24-4

In a debate, you must have the same conditions.

00hydro
[ Display Name History ]

00hydro

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 213 posts

That it is longsword VS scimitar, not longsword vs scimitar + DD/AGS

I know I'm saying this a few weeks late, but this IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD. It's pretty much what I've been trying to say since that argument occurred, but Cacmypants but it nice and blunt for me.
Posted Image

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts
Can we let this die?

Kingkapugen
[ Display Name History ]

Kingkapugen

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 283 posts

Can we let this die?

it was dead untill ur [wagon] posted -.-

Macdre237
[ Display Name History ]

Macdre237

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
Well i only read the first page. But i say scimmy because when i had my other player and i only used scimmy because the dlong is to slow imo and the speed of the scimmy makes up for the loss of stats(but i hit the same with both weapon)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lan735
[ Display Name History ]

Lan735

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 24 posts
Well ill have to go with longsword for its extra more powerful abilitys.Scimitars are faster than long swords but not by much.you can hit a scimitar user with the long sword almost the same.Well except for maybe doing a double hit with the scimitar.The specials are almost identical.Both are equal though.Use 1 until you can use the other.Then use both.Example:Say your fighting a blue dragon.You are almost dead but so is the dragon,Use the dragon scimitar to hit first,considering you get something other than a 0.But i say,stick with the dragon long sword.Its cooler
Lan735
Proud member of the fighting saints
Fight as one and Die as one
1 person can change the world

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Well ill have to go with longsword for its extra more powerful abilitys.Scimitars are faster than long swords but not by much.you can hit a scimitar user with the long sword almost the same.Well except for maybe doing a double hit with the scimitar.The specials are almost identical.Both are equal though.Use 1 until you can use the other.Then use both.Example:Say your fighting a blue dragon.You are almost dead but so is the dragon,Use the dragon scimitar to hit first,considering you get something other than a 0.But i say,stick with the dragon long sword.Its cooler

A Scim is ALMOST 2x as fast. The D Long special is better, but not enough to get a better damage ratio.

Anyways, I've been pretty much recanting everything I've been saying. We should let this die...

Rune_User
[ Display Name History ]

Rune_User

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • RSN '07:Rune User 91
  • Clan:Clanless
It really depends.. on what you're doing. In training, I'd probably use the scimitar, as it's faster and all that, but the dragon scimitar's special is trash. Remember that we're talking about longswords and scimitars only, obviously if you include a third weapon (say, a dagger) the dragon scimitar & dagger is better than the longsword, but the longsword's special attack advantage cannot be overlooked in a discussion like this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users