No censor? No RuneScape.

Cowman_133

Wooah... you post just got scrued over.... might wanna edit it back to the way it should be :o

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Adolf Hitler's strategy should be effective in theory against this issue. Physically working on the issue is resource costing and ineffective. I'm sure most of us have seen those cleverly constructed swearing words that can go through the filter. A psychological solution is, in this case, much more effective than building bigger and more complex censors.

Imagine the next day, Jagex lifts the censor, and stated on the frontpage: Whoever get caught offending other people with swearing words will be permanently IP banned. Two days later, Jagex publishes a list of usernames which are banned from swearing in the previous 2 days.

If that's done, then I don't think there will be cases of offensive language directed at players ever again. And Jagex can save the time editing censors to do something else, and all the complaints would be gone.

as i've always advocated for a censor level bar. with options ranging from even worse than the current filter to a level of censorship where you could make all your sentences be *'s if it that sentence was said on the current system.

Account created on Weds, December 21st, 2005

99 cooking on December 12th, 2010. 99 Agility on September 30th, 2011. 99 Fletching on August 17th, 2012. 99 Prayer on March 22nd, 2016. 99 Farming on April 4th, 2016.

Without the censor jagex would lose a lot of younger players. Also, cursing and insulting would be rife. Even though I would carry on playing Runescape, a lot of people would quit.

The censor is put in place to protect people from unsuitable language. Jagex may have went a bit to hard on the censor but that is because people try so hard to get around the censor. I think if the Runescape community matured a bit and stopped being so immature Jagex might soften the censor a bit. But as that is unlikely to happen, we should just accept the censor. The censor does not stop you having a conversation if you use proper English, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Without the censor Runescape would explode. :D

Although it should be loosened a little bit. Things like 'butt' and 'poof' should not be censored. There's a whole bunch of extremely stupid things in there that could not possibly be offensive.

Also, I do not like typing, 'fone'. It makes me feel little and unfosisticaded.

MSSW4TI.png

Currently P2P

stats

I also forgot that we would be seeing immature players act like RS is da ghetto and pimpin' hos-scape. In short, RS would be screwed. :x

In your attempt to dignify your "debate" you have in-fact contradicted what you are so whole heartedly agreeing with. I, personally, find your statement very offensive as it pertains to a certain race, even if not intended in that manner it sure did come off that way. :shame:

-----------------------------

Sorry if I offended anyone, but you should see some of the people talking like Fiddy Cent in RS and most of them aren't black (maybe I've met too many people like that.)

I'm glad to see that this debate is still being continued :)

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Maybe they should make rated worlds like World ## Rating: PG/15/18

I think then, levels of the censor can be lifted, the higher the rating. I.E. on a world rated 18, there is no censor, but on a PG world The censor would be high (No swear words whatsoever)

It is true that the censor on runescape should be revised.

The time of darkness is here. Now the true vampire arises

vincent.jpg

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Final Fantasy 7

Click here for freedom from Macroers!!

• 2 weeks later...

RuneScape with censor

Player:OMFG, wtf, I ******* lagged and logged out by a ******* rev!! Wtf jagex!!!!

RuneScape without censor

Player:S**t!!!!!!! I motherf***ing lagged you f***ing [wagon]!! I lost my f***ing full 3rd age and godsword to a gay rev!!!!!!!!! Go f*** yourself gaygex!

So, pretty much without a censor, we can expect that!

The censor is nice for some things but it goes a little to far. Like why can't you say the "bob" in spongebob. Or poof? Ya I know that poof refers to somthing drug related but whoever they are pretecting by censoring poof wouldn't understand what it means. And now that anyone can sign up for runescape with just quick chat it is needed more than ever. So my thought is keep the censor but tune it down.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

I literally cannot come up with words to describe the magnitude of scary/funny that would be the norm for the sixteen seconds that RS would survive after the censor was removed. :-#

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

The players should be able toggle the censor ON/OFF. This way, I could speak to my french friends without having to use 1/2 word in english. They should consider other languages.

However, overall, the censor is a very good thing to have in the game.

WarBlastoise.png

I also forgot that we would be seeing immature players act like RS is da ghetto and pimpin' hos-scape. In short, RS would be screwed. :x

In your attempt to dignify your "debate" you have in-fact contradicted what you are so whole heartedly agreeing with. I, personally, find your statement very offensive as it pertains to a certain race, even if not intended in that manner it sure did come off that way. :shame:

-----------------------------

As for the censor debate, I really have no comment on it. I agree it should be kept to a certain extent because I would really hate to see random people bellowing curse words just because they can. Especially the ever so popular "N-Word" that many 11 year olds like to call others due to a lack of information and maturity.

A slight decrease in the sensitivity would be satisfactory for me though, I mean it would be nice to say "GL" (Good Luck) to a friend,in a sentence, without seeing more asterics than letters. :roll:

It didn't come off that way, people that claim not to be racist, usually seperate groups of people into parts of a "City". I'm guessing you're thinking black people only live in the ghetto? They don't, I know whites, russians, chinese and latino people that live in projects/ghetto, I even used to live there, and I'm white. So I say you sir are the racist, and he is not, you seperated the races, and pertained them to certain areas, while he did not.

As for my opinion on the Censor, I believe YOU should be able to "Create" your own censor, such as near the report button you'll see a button called "Censor Toggle" the default censor will block out what the censor in place does now, and any word you don't wish to see, you can just type into it, so, if you didn't want anything to be "starred" out, just delete the censor box, lets say if you didn't want to hear someone say "[wagon]" you could type "[wagon]" into the box, and when someone says "[wagon]" it comes out as "*******". Simple as that.

Well that's my 2 cents.

Halo3Example.jpg

I_tuna69_I.png

"While traveling you find someone in need, help them on their journey, you will be a better man for it, and that much closer to your destination."

-Chinese Proverb