No censor? No RuneScape.

Cowman_133

Last night I was playing and two other players were having a conversation regarding a pen and the word is. My daughter looked over my shoulder and asked what they were saying. I managed to explain that the " Pen is mightier than the sword" This is not what they were saying.

Do we need a censor? Oh yes! I would not play and neither would my kids if not!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, personally, have also always hated the WoW comparisons. I like the idea of all the "z0mg wow has these things make em jagex!!" players going to play WoW. I think the world would be better without them.

However, that's not on-topic. I think you're absolutely right - RS would die without the censor. I know I certainly would have some troubles with the style of play that'd be involved. Can you imagine the amounts of swear-word spam that would go on? It'd make the game so annoying to play it would be boring and frustrating. One of my favourite parts of the game is the community (especially with the new clan chats - Lightning ftw? =D). I've made some good friends over the years. However, if we could swear... The community would be ruined. I'd probably stop playing. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. RS would be down the drain.

Kinda funny how you're playing WoWscape, right?

Solution: Make the censor optional. People who want to curse can and the people who dont mind hearing curses can. Those who get annoyed can turn on the filter :P

I dont find any flaws. Do you?

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

I, personally, have also always hated the WoW comparisons. I like the idea of all the "z0mg wow has these things make em jagex!!" players going to play WoW. I think the world would be better without them.

However, that's not on-topic. I think you're absolutely right - RS would die without the censor. I know I certainly would have some troubles with the style of play that'd be involved. Can you imagine the amounts of swear-word spam that would go on? It'd make the game so annoying to play it would be boring and frustrating. One of my favourite parts of the game is the community (especially with the new clan chats - Lightning ftw? =D). I've made some good friends over the years. However, if we could swear... The community would be ruined. I'd probably stop playing. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. RS would be down the drain.

Solution: Make the censor optional. People who want to curse can and the people who dont mind hearing curses can. Those who get annoyed can turn on the filter :P

Hmm, not flaws but 1...

Why does anyone need to swear?!?

There is no reason to make it available for everyone to cuss and be a jerk. Can you imagine all the immature people swearing for no reason? Trust me. Even if you would like to swear here and there, it would be badly abused.

I, in no way, shape, or form, support a toggle or slackening from offensive words/slurs.

1.png
generic_signature.png

No censors would mean total chaos and anarchy, aswell as tons of reports going into the system. That would be quite entertaining.

lol yeah that would be prety entertaining. And anyways for the people who still decide to play after the 3/4 have left and so have their friends and children get kicked off by thier parents, u wouldnt be able to find anyone on rs to actually talk to, trade with, or anything else. rs would become pointless

death_note-2.gif

My idea for removal would be this:

Make it optional and remove the offensive langauge report option, change it to spam.

If some one swears too much and you want to continue uncensored, use your ignore list.

If your offended, put the censor on, im 22 years old i dont need to be babied.

Hmm, not flaws but 1...

Why does anyone need to swear?!?

There is no reason to make it available for everyone to cuss and be a jerk. Can you imagine all the immature people swearing for no reason? Trust me. Even if you would like to swear here and there, it would be badly abused.

I, in no way, shape, or form, support a toggle or slackening from offensive words/slurs.

So you'd rather restrict speech? Are you applying this to real life? How would you like it if your gov't said you couldn't say a list of certain words?

People swear because they want to. If you don't want to listen to it, TOGGLE it off. If you dont mind (I dont), just keep it on. In WoW, you have the option to turn it on and off. NO one abuses cursing either. There is not a single reason why this would not work in RS. It has nothing to do with maturity either. Even if people do abuse it, TOGGLE it off.

dmanxb7.jpg

Why would Jagex be sued if they added a toggle censor? They didn't copyright it or anything, and it's not like it's a white raven of censoring methods. Talk about stupidity.

I don't want a censor toggle or an actual censor weakening. (Except for "damn", really. "Crap" can stay censored for all I care. What if I want to talk about the movie "Village of the Damned"? It's not a swear word) I want some of the questionable stuff uncensored. Those which disturb speaking in Dutch or whatever. Or Hungarian, for that matter. There is a common word in Hungarian which includes the expression "lust"... whoops, I can't say it?!

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Despite being rather new on the forums, I am going to bring some of my own (rather controversial) ideas to the thread. I think that people should be able to choose whether or not they want to listen to cusses. Yes, this does mean I am asking to use a WoW suggestion, however, even WoW comes up with good ideas. If someone has a solution, is it wrong to use it? Example.

"Macintosh created the mouse pointer, Windows shouldn't use it." Which is true, but yet you can't blame Windows for using it.

So my basic idea is to keep the filter an option, so that overbearing parents can turn it off for their young son/daughter, or that it can be used by people who like the ability to use any words in their vocabulary. No, I'm not saying that running around screaming "HEY ******" is alright. I'm saying swears can be used to express states of high anger. It should be the player's choice to listen to what they want.

Finally, one last thing I would like to point out. That words only have meaning if we let it. I'll make it really easy to understand.

I run down the street yelling "CRAZ." People would think I'm a raving derelict. Then I run down the street yelling swear words. Everyone knows what I'm talking about, and they're disgusted. Now everyone knows swear words, and we don't like them. Why? Because we think they mean something nasty. Why? Because society grew that way. Why protect kids from 4 letters (We all know the 4 letters I'm talking about)? Is it going to make them wonderful people? No. Some people will always be nasty, whether or not they have 4 letters. Children use these four letters simply to get reaction or display anger. Sure, Jagex cares if I say (censored), but no one cares if I say CRAZ. Now if people started conjuring up bad meanings for CRAZ, it gets a meaning. Then Jagex comes down it like a hammer. I would then stand there, dumbfounded, about how stupid this all looks. At one point, CRAZ meant nothing, now it's a word no one should say.

Nuts to the filter, words mean nothing unless we associate it with something. I could make the entire dictionary full of swear words if I tell people to use words differently, and they listen. One of society's biggest problems.

Now, in closing, I'll leave you guys to find the many holes in my theory. I know from experience that many people hate different views, that think they alone know everything.

-South, North, East, West - Up, Down, Right, Left-

-Fire, Water, Earth, Air - Kill, Examine, Loot, Share-

-Mine, Craft, Smith, Pray - Cook, Fletch, Fish, Slay- -Stab, Block, Eat, Run - Spells, Skills, Emotes, Fun-

Name: Sulpheric's Runescape

Despite being rather new on the forums, I am going to bring some of my own (rather controversial) ideas to the thread. I think that people should be able to choose whether or not they want to listen to cusses. Yes, this does mean I am asking to use a WoW suggestion, however, even WoW comes up with good ideas. If someone has a solution, is it wrong to use it? Example.

"Macintosh created the mouse pointer, Windows shouldn't use it." Which is true, but yet you can't blame Windows for using it.

So my basic idea is to keep the filter an option, so that overbearing parents can turn it off for their young son/daughter, or that it can be used by people who like the ability to use any words in their vocabulary. No, I'm not saying that running around screaming "HEY ******" is alright. I'm saying swears can be used to express states of high anger. It should be the player's choice to listen to what they want.

Finally, one last thing I would like to point out. That words only have meaning if we let it. I'll make it really easy to understand.

I run down the street yelling "CRAZ." People would think I'm a raving derelict. Then I run down the street yelling swear words. Everyone knows what I'm talking about, and they're disgusted. Now everyone knows swear words, and we don't like them. Why? Because we think they mean something nasty. Why? Because society grew that way. Why protect kids from 4 letters (We all know the 4 letters I'm talking about)? Is it going to make them wonderful people? No. Some people will always be nasty, whether or not they have 4 letters. Children use these four letters simply to get reaction or display anger. Sure, Jagex cares if I say (censored), but no one cares if I say CRAZ. Now if people started conjuring up bad meanings for CRAZ, it gets a meaning. Then Jagex comes down it like a hammer. I would then stand there, dumbfounded, about how stupid this all looks. At one point, CRAZ meant nothing, now it's a word no one should say.

Nuts to the filter, words mean nothing unless we associate it with something. I could make the entire dictionary full of swear words if I tell people to use words differently, and they listen. One of society's biggest problems.

Now, in closing, I'll leave you guys to find the many holes in my theory. I know from experience that many people hate different views, that think they alone know everything.

=D>

Sad part is, idiots wont change their mind because of what you said...too stubborn those fools.

dmanxb7.jpg

Right you are, especially funny to see people thinking that using offensive language makes you them look more mature. Having rule 1 is a principled matter, with or without censor, so it's nice to see that the game is run by acutal mature people.

About 1/4 of lines I say Estonian have asterisks in it and it yet doesn't stop me to easily cope with it.

Hope offences lovers also manage to grow up on one day, well sure they do, life is just right there to teach them, only have to be wise enough to understand what life is trying to tell them. Yes, acting like some under 13 years old inteligent kid is also a possibilty.

That's how it's not only the matter of what your PC can ran, whether to play RS or Wow, it's also how things are run in two kind of role playing societies, on a more or less inteligent way, games have their standards for one's who play these, standars which doesn't have a lot to do with player's age.

The censor does annoy me, I must admit. I find it to strong...

I wouldn't mind a toggle, however you know some random noob will come along and abuse it to the best of their ability...

So for this reason I say keep the censor as it is, And quite frankly, You will get used to it being there, I admit, I swear in day to day life (not in a crude manor) no, and not exactly what some would say to be the worst words, Either way, Runescape has been a place where I can calm down more because of not being able to swear...

It's not that hard to get used to.. And frankly, for people who say "if you can't stand the swearing then leave the game", Then I'm sorry, but I think it should be you whom needs to leave the game... If you can't handle a game period without having to go and swear, Go back to your GTA:SA and stop trying to get the censor removed of Runescape if this is the case.

We all know there are younger players on the game, regardless of the age restriction, And I am sure Jagex knows about it.

You must also understand that some people are very emotional, And if people get verbally bullied when playing a game it can lead to them committing suicide.

The censor is there for a reason... Learn to accept it.

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

No censor? You won't see me logging in anymore.

It's the one thing that's keeping this game becoming invaded by potty mouthed immature brats.

Although I've been a regular on the RSOF Rants forums for a while now, I really don't visit that thread. It's all people making up stupid excuses for cursing.

madmax_410.png

madmax_410.png

No censor? You won't see me logging in anymore.

It's the one thing that's keeping this game becoming invaded by potty mouthed immature brats.

Although I've been a regular on the RSOF Rants forums for a while now, I really don't visit that thread. It's all people making up stupid excuses for cursing.

Yes I feel the exact same way as you.

It would be abused to the point where even people who want the toggle off would become annoyed and would probably start ranting on the forums again.

Or if some 6 year old who plays with their parents had a lvl 95 account, and turned it off one day, imagine the disappointment that kid would have because he parents disallow him to use it after seeing such trashy language.

I agree at some times it is a little harsh, but it really is for the better.

1.png
generic_signature.png

I'd leave if they removed the censor.

But not because i'd get offended because some 12 year old called me a swear word.

As it stands, you see people bypassing the censors all the time with slashes and whatnot. And they think its oh so funny to be saying(typing?) a swear word.

I just don't think I'd be able to tolerate seeing the f word every 10 seconds no matter where I go. Sooner or later, it'll get on my nerves, and for once, turning public chat to friends won't save me.

It's a word. It's no different from any other word. It just has a negative connotation (well, most swear words). But the majority of the RS population is too immature to realize this.

Seventi.png

im sorry but is there was no censor i would have been baned for flameing every annoying noob i see

and you would want to be flamed now would you?

i do then i would flame back

filewf5.gif

rarely ever check forums.

• 4 months later...

Judging it is a young community, yes a censor is neeeded. If you started playing at 18 , or turned 18, jagex should allowthe option to turn the censor off tho, because ast this age you are now free and adult to decide if you wanna say or hear swears. I never found swearing thinks like [bleep] or oh [cabbage] ,bad ,theyre just expression, aI find it bad when poeple use curses to insult and flame.

gene.png

gene2.png

gene3.png

person who won the most awards: Generaldesor

RETIRED

I do agree that there has to be a censor, but some words should not be censored at all! For example: Damn, urine (they allow pee but not urine?), crap. I mean, those words have an incredibly small offencive value.

j0xPu5R.png

I do agree that there has to be a censor, but some words should not be censored at all! For example: Damn, urine (they allow pee but not urine?), crap. I mean, those words have an incredibly small offencive value.

I am not a terriblely large fan of the word 'damn' and I cannot see Jagex uncensoring it because some people do not wish to see it around at all. The word 'urine'... where is the need to say that word ingame? And crap I can understand because people use it like darn and dang and not in the sense of feces which actually gives it a use. Who cares if you can't say urine in game? :shock:

Also I'll need to rewrite this article as it isn't cached and I found it to be poor anyways.

~The Cow~

1.png
generic_signature.png

People will say "I need to have a pee, brb". How many of you are going to say "I need to urinate"? That is weird to begin with.

Problem for me with no censors is as stated numerous times, kids just going to fling it around with careless disregard. I swear sometimes, not a lot, but I really only use it when I need to show my feelings in a direct way. It is not pleasant, I don't enjoy hearing it nevermind reading it.

Those that is starting to get into teenage year will swear all the time and it just isn't going to be pleasant. And for many, their limited vocab tends to mean that possibly the swear word that begins with "F" is their generic choice of adjective. It does slightly amusing listening to them though.

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

i havn't checked if anyone has suggested this yet, but a lot of games (halo 3 online comes to mind) lets you choose between uncensored and basically "free" chat, although this is actual headset communication and stuff, i'm not sure if there'd be any specific issues applying to text based chat,

why not do that? have worlds that are free chat for over 18's, and censored for the younger audience... yes i know younger players would cheat it, but that's how the interent works, its not runescape's problem

why not do that? have worlds that are free chat for over 18's, and censored for the younger audience... yes i know younger players would cheat it, but that's how the interent works, its not runescape's problem

Unlike many others, Jagex at least trys to make difference and considering the scales of this game, not too little difference at all. After all, someone has to give a good example to others. The whole Interent with only mature people around, without thinking whether it's ever going to happen or not, is a nice aim for sure.