Looking for some guidance on MMOs

AThousandLies

I'm looking for a new MMO since I'm not really satisfied with RS anymore. I want something new and different, preferrably with graphics better than those of Runescape. I've bookmarked a list of about 50 MMOs which I've seen and I hope to try them out over time, but it'd be nice if I had some direction on where to begin. I'm looking for games that offer a free trial/free version (ala RS F2P) that don't require a retail purchase. I'm thinking something a little different - maybe something sci-fi, historical or real-world, but I'm not averse to a fantasy MMO either. My current list includes Dungeon Runners, Face of Mankind, Rubies of Eventide, Entropia, Talisman Online and plenty others, but I've no idea where to begin. Any direction would be appreciated; thanks.

... AFAIK WoW offers a ten day free trial at warcraft.com or somesuch. Could be worth checking out.

Tru dat

World of warcraft site -

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml

Try WoW for free for 10 days -

https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/tria ... etrial.htm

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

http://rappelz.gpotato.com/

An absolutely amazing game. Spectacular graphics for a free game. They actually almost look Guildwarsish:P Really fun, good combat system.

The games only fault is that you can pay for xp bonuses -.- , so that means some ridiculously good players. But it is still worth its 4gb dl :P

If you are interested in trying some mmo's in beta stage,

go to http://www.outspark.com

They currently have two games: Fiesta, and Secret of the Solstice(2 or so more weeks until OBT, but I played CBT for it, and its pretty fun)

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

get guild wars or tabula rasa, its a one time cost to buy them in stores and after that its f2p.

TR isn't B2P. There's a 15 dollar-a-month subscription fee.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

The guidance I would give is forget about MMOs.

Yeah, I played just about every MMORPG there is, just can't be bothered to repeat the grinding all over again and be pestered by immature kids and scammers...

MMORPG's are usually not for the 'average' person. You just can't become good, or one of the best, by playing 1 hour or less daily. Just about all of the good level 70+'s in WoW have played 5 to 15 hours daily, raiding dungeons for weeks just to get a certain item, etc..

I find FPS games requiring much more skill, and they can be played casually for more fun value.

Dark fantasy games like Diablo are excellent though, require strategy, and also have a fun element in it.. Wouldn't mind if Blizzard came up with a D3

The guidance I would give is forget about MMOs.

Yeah, I played just about every MMORPG there is, just can't be bothered to repeat the grinding all over again and be pestered by immature kids and scammers...

MMORPG's are usually not for the 'average' person. You just can't become good, or one of the best, by playing 1 hour or less daily. Just about all of the good level 70+'s in WoW have played 5 to 15 hours daily, raiding dungeons for weeks just to get a certain item, etc..

I find FPS games requiring much more skill, and they can be played casually for more fun value.

Dark fantasy games like Diablo are excellent though, require strategy, and also have a fun element in it.. Wouldn't mind if Blizzard came up with a D3

It doesn't really take that long to really get good in certain MMOs.

For example, WoW. Once you hit 70 (doesn't take long) if you want to get decent gear you don't have to devote that much time. Spend a few hours a week doing arena's to get points for PvP gear -- or you can just raid for 4 hours a week and get gear that way. Joining a good guild now means that you can just spend 4 hours in a day out of an entire week and do well.

Other MMO's take different bits of time to do well. The biggest thing you have to keep in mind is to not worry about becoming 'the best' and instead just enjoy the game for what it is.

Are there any games, sort of like RuneScape, where you don't have to download anything? And that are still free?

Not really. If there are they're most certainly a waste of time.

^ Well, Nadril, what would you recommend for a good MMORPG?

He already said Anarchy Online.

I played that for a while, but I personally didn't find it that much different than your average grinding MMORPG. I suppose the sci-fi was a nice twist, but I found it much less addicting than games such as Silkroad. (It might just be me...)

As for Silkroad, it's not THAT great. After RuneScape, I suppose you might think it's the best thing on Earth. Like most free MMORPGs, basically all you do is kill. The quests? Kill x of x. Caravans add a little fun, but still...Nothing much. Woohoo, you made a bunch of money. Now you can buy some stuff and kill some more.

I found Europe much more fun than China. I was a cleric, and the fact that I didn't die made it pretty nice. As it was my first MMORPG after RuneScape, I thought it was addicting. I might be playing it still if I didn't get a few games in August.

I guess 9Dragons might be better than Silkroad in a sense. It's basically the same thing, just a little different, and could be considered to have more variety. It's also a grinding game, so...Yeah...

To be honest, RuneScape is the only MMORPG I've played (Okay, Club Penguin too...) in which you do something other than kill and make money.

If you want sci-fi, go for Anarchy.

If you want something with swords and older weapons, 9Dragons or Silkroad is my recommendation.

If you want fantasy, I don't know. RuneScape is the only fantasy MMORPG I've played. There should be plenty other out there though.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

... AFAIK WoW offers a ten day free trial at warcraft.com or somesuch. Could be worth checking out.

Tru dat

World of warcraft site -

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml

Try WoW for free for 10 days -

https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/tria ... etrial.htm

@Rushrock

World of warcraft is a good start for anyone, loads of playability, a good community(despite some [developmentally delayed]s), very beginner friendly, easy to learn. Just try the trial and if you still dont like it, WoW isn't for you :)

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

The Silkroad site was screwy so I gave up on that, might give it a go later. I tried PlaneShift but it was so tedious and boring that I decided it wasn't worth my time. I gave Voyage Century ago but once again the registration itself was frustrating enough. I think I'd be put off a lot of these games by the tutorial and learning curve which is often 1) large and 2) incredibly tedious. My download cap's running low so I'll stick with Runescape until it resets and maybe give WoW ago as I bought a 14 day trial CD. Any more advice is appreciated.