Why didn't Jagex just remove skilling?

Sly_Wizard

What if they just made pking a skill? Maybe the higher level you get you can attack people with more valuable items. I dunno though, it means that rwts would have to raise it to make successful transactions and pkers could still pk people and get loot. Maybe it'd be a very hard skill to train too?

But thats just me, I'm a crazy fool like that.

happysigbp0.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't work. More people skill than player kill. It's like dropping a nuclear bomb on New York because there was a suspected terrorist in one of the buildings. Hey, millions of lives will be lost, but they at least got the terrorist, right?

j0xPu5R.png

It wouldn't work. More people skill than player kill. It's like dropping a nuclear bomb on New York because there was a suspected terrorist in one of the buildings. Hey, millions of lives will be lost, but they at least got the terrorist, right?
Thats what they did to pking.

Let it be known that zubee approves of this thread :mrgreen:

I could stop and pick at every argument saying that this would be a bad idea for whatever reason/that skills are more important then pking becase...

but quite frankly if you're arguing against removing skills from the game then you've completely missed the point of this thread. A lot of people now find that the fun has been sucked right out of RS, in the name of stopping macros, and tbh if you agree with the recent updates but think that it would be unjust for big bad jadex to touch skills you are a hyprocrite :|

Quit runescape, now playing EVE-Online(Mail Cambarus and say hi :mrgreen: )

PKing was nerfed because, and only because, it is a form of transferring items. If you have a better solution then please share it.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

Remove Fishing, Woodcutting, and Mining. Greeeaaaaatttt Plan there.

I'll probably just be repeating other things already said, but here goes.

If you remove fishing, there goes a good source of getting food for sure. People would have to resort to eating cakes, pies, pizzas, and the like. If you were a cook, then this would be an advantage to you. Anyone else, probably not.

Remove Woodcutting, yeahhhhh no. I for sure admit that most macroers, and thereby Real Word Traders, woodcutted, but that's no reason to remove it. Woodcutting is needed for both fletching and firemaking, well, not entirely needed for Firemaking, but pretty essential.

And last but not least, mining. If you can't mine, you would either have to kill monsters or buy all of your weapons and armor. People who generally smith or mine for a living would be in an uproar. What about the people who have high levels in those skills? (Fletching, Woodcutting, Firemaking, Mining, Smithing, and Fishing, possibly Cooking for those who only cook fish and refuse to cook anything else.)

And if you couldn't mine, you certainly couldn't get rune ess, and there goes Runecrafting. While we're at it, Crafting would probably be mostly gone too, all you would have is leather. Sure, you could buy runes, but probably most people would rather make it themselves and save some money. Well, not most people. But from Rune Stores? Really, why?

Your theory of removing those skills from the game is just..well...kind of not able to happen. PKing wasn't a skill, and while a lot of people did that for a living, even more so use skills. Yeah, if skills were removed instead of PKing, there would probably be a bigger uproar than there is now. But there might be some people who could learn to deal with it. New accounts would never have known the skills of Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, Smithing, Fletching, Firemaking, Runecrafting, and seriously changed Crafting and Cooking.

So, in closing, getting rid of these skills and bringing back PKing is not such a good idea in My Opinion.

And before anyone accuses me of being a no good, rotten skiller, who never knew what PKing was like, well, that's a lie. I did PK a little, and quite frankly I miss it a little, but not enough to quit the game. The same should be true of anything removed from the game, because after all, if your favorite thing was removed, and yet there was still plenty of other things that you enjoyed, is it enough of a reason to quit a good game?

Twibb.png

Let it be known that zubee approves of this thread :mrgreen:

I could stop and pick at every argument saying that this would be a bad idea for whatever reason/that skills are more important then pking becase...

but quite frankly if you're arguing against removing skills from the game then you've completely missed the point of this thread. A lot of people now find that the fun has been sucked right out of RS, in the name of stopping macros, and tbh if you agree with the recent updates but think that it would be unjust for big bad jadex to touch skills you are a hyprocrite :|

I see the point in this thread pretty clearly, when it said that he wants the non-combat skills taken out because they are the source of the autoers gold.

Granted, maybe if the pkers and stakers would stop buying and selling rs gold for real money, maybe they wouldn't have to have done this to you. Oh well, it was your call, same with the runescape classic players who autoed, and are now complaining that the game is shut to the public.

It's the difference between shutting off a lamp in a house to conserve energy, and deciding to shut off everything in the house that doesn't run on batteries. It's not hipocracy, and the arguments you (you and sly) have been putting up look to me as nothing more than grasping at a point neither of you have, so you bring up hipocracy and not reading the thread properly.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I see the point in this thread pretty clearly, when it said that he wants the non-combat skills taken out because they are the source of the autoers gold.

You clearly don't see the point of this thread,it's one big statement showing how stupid and unfair it was of jagex to destroy pking in the name of stopping RMT. The OP makes this statement by making a suggestion that is NO DIFFERENT yet viewed as absolutely ridiculous. The EXACT way that you feel about having skills removed is what the PKers felt when THEIR favorite aspect of the game was destroyed. Removing skills from the game would NOT destroy the game, technically, but it would ruin it for a lot of players. Destroying PKing did not technically ruin the game, but destroyed it for a lot of people.

Granted, maybe if the pkers and stakers would stop buying and selling rs gold for real money, maybe they wouldn't have to have done this to you. Oh well, it was your call, same with the runescape classic players who autoed, and are now complaining that the game is shut to the public.

That is one of the most ignorant things I've ever seen posted on these forum, and I've been here a while (anyone remember striker? :lol: )

Do you have ANY proof that it's only the pkers that buy RS gold? Or is this an assumption that you pulled out of thin air? I'd say a skiller desperate to get a rare or one who's working on a skill like smithing or fletching is every bit as likely to go to a GP selling site as a pker. And before you justify this ignorant statement by saying that skillers make money while pkers do not, how do you think the pkers got their combat levels up? Those lvl 90s running around the wildy didn't get their lvls by hitting a training dummy :?

It's the difference between shutting off a lamp in a house to conserve energy, and deciding to shut off everything in the house that doesn't run on batteries. It's not hipocracy, and the arguments you (you and sly) have been putting up look to me as nothing more than grasping at a point neither of you have, so you bring up hipocracy and not reading the thread properly.

Skilling != all of RS (It's been a while since I last did an RS/RW comparisson, so forgive me if it sucks :P )

Timmy likes to play games on the computer.

Billy likes to watch TV.

Billy tells Timmy that because their electricity bill is so high, he can only play on the computer for half an hour a day,thereby severly limiting Timmy's play time.

Billy then goes and watches as much TV as he wants.

Timmy likes to PK.

Billy likes skilling.

Because the the number of macro users and RMT is so high, jagex severely reduces Timmy's ability to PK

Billy then goes and skills as much as he wants.

PKing is every bit as much a part of RS as skilling is, so yes, if you truely believe that is was right for jagex to ruin it like they did while whining that removing (some) of the skills from RS would be bad then you are a hypocrite. It's either right of jagex to ruin important aspects of the game to limit RMT or it isn't.

What Jagex did was to remove parts of the game that were used by a minority.

Logically should Jagex remove something used by 10 percent of the players, or something used by 90 percent of the players?

Using the wild... No, using the edge to safe PK was a minority sport, and so was high stakes gambling.

Jagex had to remove the ability for RWT to function easily. Sure, removing skills would do that, but it would DIRECTLY affect the majority of players.

Removing the PKers from the wild and removing high stakes gambling from the game not only affected less players, but also removed many scams along with it.

In conclusion:

Jagex could have gotten rid of skills, but it would have affected more players. So they choose the safer option, and adjusted PKing, and staking.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

Logically should Jagex remove something used by 10 percent of the players, or something used by 90 percent of the players?

Using the wild... No, using the edge to safe PK was a minority sport, and so was high stakes gambling.

Jagex had to remove the ability for RWT to function easily. Sure, removing skills would do that, but it would DIRECTLY affect the majority of players.

Removing the PKers from the wild and removing high stakes gambling from the game not only affected less players, but also removed many scams along with it.

In conclusion:

Jagex could have gotten rid of skills, but it would have affected more players. So they choose the safer option, and adjusted PKing, and staking.

The minority pked? are you on crack?, out of the 8 million current runescape accounts im willing to bet about 6 million of them were pk accs.

Well if 6 million people PKed, and did absolutely nothing, no skills, no nothing, just being in the Wilderness 24 hours a day, getting all their supplies and money from killing things or hiring people to go back into where people can not PK each other, where of course he would never go. 6 million people. No...

You're telling me that only 2 million people don't PK? If you're trying to say that 6 million people HAVE at one time in their Runescape career PKed someone, then probably that is true.

PKing is an optional part of the game. A lot of you wanting those skills removed would say the same for those skills, I'm sure. I would be upset if all those skills were removed, since that's what I mostly do.

That's how it would be. You PKers are upset because PKing is what you normally do. If those skills were removed, those who used the skills would be upset. The people who never PKed don't really care about the wild, the people who never skilled don't really care about the skills.

Quite frankly, I think both of them were sort of needed for Runescape. Maybe not needed, very much wanted and appreciated. But with the removal of the Wilderness as everyone knew it caused much less of things probably all of you may have complained about one time or another, such as Macroers.

Twibb.png

Quite frankly, I think both of them were sort of needed for Runescape. Maybe not needed, very much wanted and appreciated. But with the removal of the Wilderness as everyone knew it caused much less of things probably all of you may have complained about one time or another, such as Macroers.

Welcome to the point of the thread.

Neither pking nor skilling are needed to keep the game going, and what the OP suggested was removing the skills like mining,fishing, wc and other such things, not all skills.

The point is that what jagex did was ridiculously stupid, but there are some people who think that it's acceptable because it limits the use of gold selling. Well, removing a bunch of the previously mentionned skills would also reduce gold selling, hell, removing gold altogether would all but eliminate it, but doing so would ruin the game, much like BH did for many people.

You simply cannot put fourth any argument for keeping skills that couldn't be used for keeping pking the way it was, which is the whole point of this thread.

The update was to regulate all forms of transfer items, the Wilderness being one of them.

You say remove skills to stop bots, but bots aren't the target! Real world trading is! Bots were a side-effect of RWT (with a very minor percentage of people doing it for personal wealth/experience that end up getting banned.)

Removing the ways bots made money will not stop RWTers unless Every profitable thing in RuneScape was removed. And at that point, RuneScape will have degraded into a PvP only game such as MapleStory, or worse the combat skills will be taken out as well (because you can make money that way, too) and it will become exactly like Club Penguin.

I'll say it again, the update was to regulate all forms of transfer items. Not stop bots.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

In conclusion:

The minority pked? are you on crack?, out of the 8 million current runescape accounts im willing to bet about 6 million of them were pk accs.

Not according to Jagex's own polls.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

What I meant was that if you removed, as you suggest, major money makers, and therefore major macroers, Woodcutting, Fishing, and Mining, you might as well just remove things that come from mining, so there goes smithing, a large part of crafting, and runecrafting as well. There's one quest gone, and 6 skills by your theory. Ok, 5.5 skills. No, there are plenty of quests taken out by this too. No more Knight's Sword Quest, Rune Mysteries, and Doric's Quest. Then remove Woodcutting, most of Firemaking's gone, and fletching is gone as well. 7.5 skills now. Take out fishing, then cooking is changed by how most people train cooking, but otherwise it is about the same.

Plus, even if you removed those, Macroers would merely shift to the next skill, that is, if there are any left after that would happen if you would make it so.

Skills are needed to the game, you wouldn't have Runescape without skills. You CAN however, have a game without PKing. Some might argue just the opposite. But skills, especially those three, are what many Runescapers do for a living. PKing was a minority of people who made a living off of it.

Twibb.png

Skills are needed to the game, you wouldn't have Runescape without skills. You CAN however, have a game without PKing. Some might argue just the opposite. But skills, especially those three, are what many Runescapers do for a living. PKing was a minority of people who made a living off of it.

I explained this before, but I can explain it again. Skills aren't vital to Runescape. In fact, the only things skills are good for are meeting arbitrary quest requirements. Skills feed into other skills, but they don't provide anything useful in the game in terms of powerful, unique items (Minus slayer and the upper escelons of hunter and fletching). The best weapons and equipment aren't player made, but either dropped by an NPC, found or bought.

No one ever has to skill. You want to skill. Therefore skilling is expendable and can be taken out of the game. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

The Exact same could be said of PKing you realize, which is the whole point of your argument of course.

I'm assuming you are a member, yes? If you are, then what you say is true. However, if you are F2P, then its the opposite. I don't know of very many things that drop Rune items (the highest armor in F2P obviously.)

However, by using mining and smithing, you can get this armor. Also including rune weapons, the most powerful weapon you could get in F2P.

As for fish, the generally accepted best food to eat in F2P is you guessed it, fish. Sharks for the members. There goes a major source of food, generally liked because it only takes one bite to eat.

Also, you stated that Fletching is useful. Fletching is a direct product of woodcutting, which you suggested to remove.

More or less, if you are a member, then this would make perfect sense. If you are F2P, its the biggest load of nonsense you ever heard most likely, since most F2P do use these skills.

Twibb.png

The Exact same could be said of PKing you realize, which is the whole point of your argument of course.

I'm assuming you are a member, yes? If you are, then what you say is true. However, if you are F2P, then its the opposite. I don't know of very many things that drop Rune items (the highest armor in F2P obviously.)

However, by using mining and smithing, you can get this armor. Also including rune weapons, the most powerful weapon you could get in F2P.

As for fish, the generally accepted best food to eat in F2P is you guessed it, fish. Sharks for the members. There goes a major source of food, generally liked because it only takes one bite to eat.

Also, you stated that Fletching is useful. Fletching is a direct product of woodcutting, which you suggested to remove.

More or less, if you are a member, then this would make perfect sense. If you are F2P, its the biggest load of nonsense you ever heard most likely, since most F2P do use these skills.

You do realise nobody smiths rune anymore right? rune f2p uses is from the currently existing stock in the game, rune prices are so low thanks to ge that runesmithers lose money making it.

Also i wasnt aware the vast majority of f2pers had 99 smithing.. lol.

Many of the p2p quests require certain levels of these skills. If you take out these skills, then the quest would have to be taken out too. All the p2p players worked for would be gone. Not to mention that with the release of new things to do that require these certain skills for the p2p players, more people would be apt to start paying to play, if these skills are taken away, people would cancel their memberships and start playing as a free player, or even quit playing. MMORPG's are a dime a dozen now days and if these skills are taken away it's something that will make people turn towards other games like Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Neverwinter Nights, etc. These are skills that make Runescape unique from other games and thus make it attractive to players. If these skills are removed, players would drop the game entirely and start playing another game. This would hurt Jagex as a corporation and force them to make the game so that you MUST pay for it. This would draw all the free players from it and reduce its number of players even further.

Oh, ok then, That makes perfect sense! (Not)

Sure, nobody smiths Rune, good for them. You cancel out mining (and thereby smithing), then any smithable armor that doesn't have a random spawn point anywhere, or is dropped for some odd reason by a monster, you guessed it, DISCONTINUED!

In that case, if Jagex truly did remove Smithing, Mining, Woodcutting, Fishing...They'd have to change tutorial Island for one, the entire first part wouldn't be possible. All the trees in Runescape, well, they have no purpose, and must be eliminated. :x Then all the mining spots are gone, furnaces and anvils removed, it'd be a different landscape practically. With PKing removed, the Wilderness looks pretty much the same, except with the new additions.

Many of the p2p quests require certain levels of these skills. If you take out these skills, then the quest would have to be taken out too. All the p2p players worked for would be gone. Not to mention that with the release of new things to do that require these certain skills for the p2p players, more people would be apt to start paying to play, if these skills are taken away, people would cancel their memberships and start playing as a free player, or even quit playing. MMORPG's are a dime a dozen now days and if these skills are taken away it's something that will make people turn towards other games like Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Neverwinter Nights, etc. These are skills that make Runescape unique from other games and thus make it attractive to players. If these skills are removed, players would drop the game entirely and start playing another game. This would hurt Jagex as a corporation and force them to make the game so that you MUST pay for it. This would draw all the free players from it and reduce its number of players even further.

There we have it. It doesn't seem like what I was trying to say, but I guess in a way it is. Skills truly are essential. PKing was not. I don't know of many f2p people who became members solely to PK. I'm sure there are some, but probably more came on for the skills, the extra skills, the new skills. Even the skills they already had, in your case, fishing, mining, and woodcutting.

Twibb.png

Since 99.99999% of all auto'ers participated in a non-combat skill (Fishing, woodcutting, mining) why couldn't Jagex simply remove those skills and label the innocent players caught in the crossfire as 'collateral damage'? The ends, after all, seem to justify the means (In Jagex's eyes, of course
).

because then there wouldn't be much point to rs. people could just play WOW or Halo 3, there combat systems are much more evolved.

IM+mos+DEF.png

No one ever has to skill. You want to skill. Therefore skilling is expendable and can be taken out of the game. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

No one has to PK, merchant, or stake either. They want to do all those.

Removing skilling would be saying "OK Autoers, we get it, you win. We have no choice but to remove wooductting, fishing, mining, and runecrafting, because you've ruined them."

Removing PK-ing, on the other hand, was like saying: Since you've abused your ability to do A, we're taking away B to make sure A is no longer abused and can return to normal. (A = skilling, B = Pking.)

rho421.png

Because only ~10-15% of the RS population pked, and pking can be turned into minigames. 100% of the RS population has gained at least 1 exp point outside of tut island. And can you make a minigame for skills?

More precisely, if RS were an arch, then skills would be the keystone that holds the whole thing together, while pking would be a few strands of ivy growing across the archway. Get it?

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg