Will the Release of Summoning Drop an Old p2p Skill Down?

warshadow212

You talk about rejuvating the f2p economy. Is it in problems? Are the common options of money making drained? To me, it seems that many skills still make good cash in f2p. Mining, woodcutting, runecrafting, fishing even all seem to be good and reliable money makers. If anything, f2p economy has grown since the introduction of the GE. So what part of the f2p economy needs a boost to get back to the lvl of some years ago?

I hate to say this, because for the most part it was real, and it was true - bots did fuel the economy from the ground up (f2p up to p2p). Now, with bots gone, prices [bleep]ed back up to what f2pers were used to from the last 4 years. Players are starting to pick up on their own, however, slower than bots worked.

My guess, farfetched as it might sound, is that gold-farmers will get smart, create accounts and actually lvl up so that they're not so obvious, farm needed resources, and flood the GE with them, increasing the supply. Demand will go down, prices will lower, and they'll keep on doing it, with the intent to take as much gp as they can. Sure, they can't transfer easily to one account. But with many accounts used for farming, and as jobs in 3rd-world countries with easy Internet access, they'll keep on doing it, and soon all those accounts will be filled with GP. They'll make enough money to buy out all the rares on the GE. (Dumm, dumm, dumm...)

All in all, I really feel that f2p is good as it is. Sure, it is not perfect, but it is not meant to be so. I do get tired of all the posts and madness on forums every time somebody thinks f2p could get an update. And I cannot really blame the people saying the simple answer: "f2p doesn't pay and therefore doesn't deserve an update." All the time I was f2p, I never expected or asked for an update. I realized that if I wanted updates, I should become a member. Why can't many other players realize the same thing?

This is the p2p elitist thinking. I'm not against p2pers, no, but I am against p2per's elitist thinking's main 2 points:

1) Everyone has a credit card, and is not using it to get membership. They should, though!

2) F2P does not need a thing more.

Here's the problem with both these points:

1) Not everyone is 18+, or has parents that are willing to let them get p2p. So, please shut up when you say this. Not everyone is as fortunate as p2pers are. I know I could get p2p if I wanted, I don't need my parents for it. But, if I get bored of this game (sooner rather than later) I don't want to spend a penny in the first place.

2) F2P IS the advertising. P2P is the product. To get to P2P, players interested will complete as much f2p as they want, whether it's tutorial island or up to 99 in every f2p skill. However, it gets old, and without any variety than the set skills f2p has, and without any variety in the game, such as new items or new skills, or new abilities within skills, then F2P gets old, and sometimes, SOMETIMES, sells P2P well. Either the f2per is bored, and wants more of a challenge --> will buy p2p (as long as reason #1 is complete), or will quit based on RL stuff (or negative of reason #1).

I'm not jealous, phata. This is another example of p2p elitist thinking. You might think, phata, that just because you're in p2p makes you the better person, but it doesn't. You give reasoning against my points, but fail to see that not everyone is like you, game-wise. People might think like you, and hell, to a certain degree, I think like you, without your biting remarks.

I will and always advertise f2pers to join p2p. It's worth the $5 US/month. However, there are issues, both RL and RS-related, that might hinder them from joining p2p. For me, it's the disappointment of the loss of PKing. I know my character is a hybrid, not useful for BH. I could do Duel Arena, but no one wants to stake. I know I'm a hybrid and could not originaly last in the wildy anyways compared to pures. But, I was pretty successful myself when I pked. Now, with teams in BH, I don't want to lose one more gp. I'm slow when it comes to making money.

I think to myself why I even came back to playing RS again. I could have been playing (hell no WoW) FlyFF, Corum, Rappelz, Adventure Quest, MechQuest, Maple Story, Holy War, Fallen Sword, BOTS, 9 Dragons, Angels Online, etc, etc. But I've come so far in RS, that now I can decide whether to quit for real or continue playing. Many of the players playing think like me. Much of me staying depends on any new updates f2p receives. If JaGEx doesn't feed a bone to the masses of the labor force known as f2p, then JaGEx should just charge $5 per month and have no f2p.

~WSW~

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess, farfetched as it might sound, is that gold-farmers will get smart, create accounts and actually lvl up so that they're not so obvious, farm needed resources, and flood the GE with them, increasing the supply. Demand will go down, prices will lower, and they'll keep on doing it, with the intent to take as much gp as they can. Sure, they can't transfer easily to one account. But with many accounts used for farming, and as jobs in 3rd-world countries with easy Internet access, they'll keep on doing it, and soon all those accounts will be filled with GP. They'll make enough money to buy out all the rares on the GE. (Dumm, dumm, dumm...)

Don't you think this kind of thinking is a little premature? Let's have some faith in Jagex and go with what they say. I have no reason to believe that commodity resources are being mass gathered by bots or gold farmers now. That would mean that the resources are gathered by real players, exactly the way it should be.

This is the p2p elitist thinking. I'm not against p2pers, no, but I am against p2per's elitist thinking's main 2 points:

1) Everyone has a credit card, and is not using it to get membership. They should, though!

2) F2P does not need a thing more.

Here's the problem with both these points:

1) Not everyone is 18+, or has parents that are willing to let them get p2p. So, please shut up when you say this. Not everyone is as fortunate as p2pers are. I know I could get p2p if I wanted, I don't need my parents for it. But, if I get bored of this game (sooner rather than later) I don't want to spend a penny in the first place.

First off, don't assume things you think I MIGHT think. You don't know me and you don't know how I think. Only respond to the words I write.

You post 3 arguments:

1 - they cannot pay or parents do not allow them to play p2p

2 - it's too expensive

3 - do not want to become member anyway

1 - Paying over the internet has more risks than paying in real life and I understand that it is everyone's own decision to pay digital or not. However, Jagex does have several payment options and from what I know internet payment has become a lot more safe. However, these players are in my mind not interesting for Jagex. Jagex cares about making f2p players members. If they do not want to pay now, why would they want to pay in the (recent) future, since the problem will not go away anytime soon?

The same reasoning for when the parents do not allow them. You can't seriously suggest that Jagex will simply have to wait untill the parents finally give permission?

2 - It is not expensive. $5 a month is equal to 2 drinks in a bar. one evening dinner at home or half a movie. Everyone can come up with $5 a month for a game they want to play for hours and hours. Otherwise, they should prioritize their preferences on what to spend their cash.

3 - If the players don't want to become members anyway, there really is no reason at all to spend revenue on them, now is there?

2) F2P IS the advertising. P2P is the product. To get to P2P, players interested will complete as much f2p as they want, whether it's tutorial island or up to 99 in every f2p skill. However, it gets old, and without any variety than the set skills f2p has, and without any variety in the game, such as new items or new skills, or new abilities within skills, then F2P gets old, and sometimes, SOMETIMES, sells P2P well. Either the f2per is bored, and wants more of a challenge --> will buy p2p (as long as reason #1 is complete), or will quit based on RL stuff (or negative of reason #1).

If a player gets bored of f2p and still does not want to become a member, then he is very likely just bored of the game. That will eventually happen to all of us. I don't read a reason why it is such a bad thing for f2p to get old. Yes, you might lose some f2p players, but those were not going to get p2p anyway. Why would Jagex care about them?

For new players, f2p is still full of excitement. That is what matters. If even new players find f2p boring, then it is time for action.

I'm not jealous, phata. This is another example of p2p elitist thinking. You might think, phata, that just because you're in p2p makes you the better person, but it doesn't. You give reasoning against my points, but fail to see that not everyone is like you, game-wise. People might think like you, and hell, to a certain degree, I think like you, without your biting remarks.

I fail to see the reason for a personal attack on me. I think it is not suited to the situation and it offends me. Consider yourself fortunate that I am mature enough to continue this discussion in a rational and social way.

I state again: Do not assume things I did not write! You don't know me and you don't know how I think, so don't make (rude) assumptions about it.

I do need feel a better person and luckily not everyone thinks the way I do, since that would make a very boring world indeed. And perhaps against your better judgement, I have plenty of friends and make new friends very easily.

I will and always advertise f2pers to join p2p. It's worth the $5 US/month. However, there are issues, both RL and RS-related, that might hinder them from joining p2p. For me, it's the disappointment of the loss of PKing. I know my character is a hybrid, not useful for BH. I could do Duel Arena, but no one wants to stake. I know I'm a hybrid and could not originaly last in the wildy anyways compared to pures. But, I was pretty successful myself when I pked. Now, with teams in BH, I don't want to lose one more gp. I'm slow when it comes to making money.

I think to myself why I even came back to playing RS again. I could have been playing (hell no WoW) FlyFF, Corum, Rappelz, Adventure Quest, MechQuest, Maple Story, Holy War, Fallen Sword, BOTS, 9 Dragons, Angels Online, etc, etc. But I've come so far in RS, that now I can decide whether to quit for real or continue playing. Many of the players playing think like me. Much of me staying depends on any new updates f2p receives. If JaGEx doesn't feed a bone to the masses of the labor force known as f2p, then JaGEx should just charge $5 per month and have no f2p.

~WSW~

Runescape changed a lot recently, it sounds like you start to get boring of the game. Could be, It will happen to me too some day. However, it is not a reason for updating f2p.

I am still waiting for a good reason from you why Jagex should update f2p.

phata_elise.png

I'm sorry to have offended you, I was not trying to attack you personally.

Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to attack you, you think and answer like a majority of the p2p elitists. I'm sorry to have boxed you in a class of players that think highly of themselves, and treat f2pers like garbage, just because f2p doesn't pay. I'm sure you're a nice person who is friendly. I'm sorry you had to answer so elitist-like.

As far as my farfetched idea is, it's as farfetched as I had called it myself. Thanks for pointing the fact out that it's crazy. I've already done that. It's usually called humor! LOL let's have a laugh, shall we? We can't be all tense when having a good off-topic argument on a thread nothing having to do with f2p vs p2p advantages.

1 - Paying over the internet has more risks than paying in real life and I understand that it is everyone's own decision to pay digital or not. However, Jagex does have several payment options and from what I know internet payment has become a lot more safe. However, these players are in my mind not interesting for Jagex. Jagex cares about making f2p players members. If they do not want to pay now, why would they want to pay in the (recent) future, since the problem will not go away anytime soon?

The same reasoning for when the parents do not allow them. You can't seriously suggest that Jagex will simply have to wait untill the parents finally give permission?

I don't think it's a matter for parents to use a credit card over the internet. I don't know if you've heard, but most people around the world now use the Internet as their main way to shop. And what do many people use? Credit cards. JaGEx is safe to use a credit card. IF you use eBay, you can use money in your Paypal account as well to pay. So, it's not a matter of parents not feeling safe about using a credit card over the internet, it's that they feel they know what's best for their child, whether it's focusing on education, athletics, extra-curriculars, a job, etc. Anything else more useful than an online game.

If a player gets bored of f2p and still does not want to become a member, then he is very likely just bored of the game. That will eventually happen to all of us. I don't read a reason why it is such a bad thing for f2p to get old. Yes, you might lose some f2p players, but those were not going to get p2p anyway. Why would Jagex care about them?

For new players, f2p is still full of excitement. That is what matters. If even new players find f2p boring, then it is time for action.

Runescape changed a lot recently, it sounds like you start to get boring of the game. Could be, It will happen to me too some day. However, it is not a reason for updating f2p.

I am still waiting for a good reason from you why Jagex should update f2p.

I already told you why. I know, with new players, it's too new for them to realize that grinding gets boring. This game gets too extensive sometimes. Thinking about 24 skills in this game, compared to about max 10 skills in other MMORPGS. Not even 5 sometimes. RS gets too big for some people. I find myself to see that moving a character in RS is too slow, compared to other games' chr movement.

I don't see why I just join another MMORPG. I don't see why a lot of players just join another MMORPG. But, for most players that are med to high lvl f2pers like me playing still in f2p, without p2ping, we're getting a bit bored. Yes, you might say, hey, you should pay to play the rest of RS! And yeah, I might say, I'll think about it. I'm still thinking about it, and if you look at my sig, I've got goals to meet. But, I have RL issues to deal with, and those things won't happen in 1 day. They're gonna happen for the next month, next couple months, and then the next couple years. I consider RL to be extremely more important than RS. But, I'm on break, and I'm not in school until next week. So, I'm still considering my options. I think, if I get members now, and get going with this coming semester, I will have wasted about $30, money I could have used for other necessary things.

I want this thread cleaned up, so I'm reporting your comments. This thread was not meant for flaming. I've warned many a time already. Off-topic banter can go in Rants, or Off-Topic. This was speculation of another idea. Not f2p vs p2p.

~WSW~

There are many skills that are part F2P, but can really only be used well, or trained easily in P2P. Rcing is the prime example, but prayer, wcing, crafting are others ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ why? Because those skills are essential to enable the F2P player to experience the game.

The ranger has never been able to make arrows/bows in F2P so why start now? Rangers in F2P have coped quite well without this ability thankyou very much.

Construction? Again the question must be asked ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ why? Construction is primarily a money sink with a few helpful items being able to be made (teletabs, portals, altars etc). Construction is almost like a bonus skill that you do not need to have to be able to play the game ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ i.e. not required in the F2P format.

Herblore: There would need to be another 15+ bank slots opened to F2P should herby ever be opened to F2P. If revÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s can indeed poison in F2P then they need to sell anti-p pots in a shop somewhere in F2P land. No rightminded individual will make def pots out of ranaars, and they would need to have mage and range pots if they are to introduce attack, def pots ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ too big for F2P in my mind.

Agility: This is currently the one thing that benefits a P2P player in a F2P world. Would putting a low levelled course in F2P land draw the crowds and make them want more (i.e. pay to get P2P?) highly unlikely. Once they got their 50 agility and use it run around Bounty Hunter better etc, they will have 1 less reason to subscribe to P2P. Something Jagex would want to avoid I imagine.

Next is Summoning. This is a skill that affects your combat level, which has a huge amount of flow-on effects. F2P has always been able to match P2P players combat levels, and had a shot at beating the P2P player in level 1 wildy. Jagex have stated that they will be bringing out a single player bounty hunter type game in 2008, so if summoning up 8 more combat levels is not achievable for F2P, then P2P players in F2P land would be at a disadvantage. I would hazard a guess that a small section of summoning will be available to F2P to enable the F2P max combat to be the same as P2P.

My 2p :)

I'm sorry to have offended you, I was not trying to attack you personally.

apology accepted.

I don't think it's a matter for parents to use a credit card over the internet. I don't know if you've heard, but most people around the world now use the Internet as their main way to shop. And what do many people use? Credit cards. JaGEx is safe to use a credit card. IF you use eBay, you can use money in your Paypal account as well to pay. So, it's not a matter of parents not feeling safe about using a credit card over the internet, it's that they feel they know what's best for their child, whether it's focusing on education, athletics, extra-curriculars, a job, etc. Anything else more useful than an online game.

I understand that point, but that still doesn't make for a reason for Jagex to update f2p.

I don't see why I just join another MMORPG. I don't see why a lot of players just join another MMORPG. But, for most players that are med to high lvl f2pers like me playing still in f2p, without p2ping, we're getting a bit bored. Yes, you might say, hey, you should pay to play the rest of RS! And yeah, I might say, I'll think about it. I'm still thinking about it, and if you look at my sig, I've got goals to meet. But, I have RL issues to deal with, and those things won't happen in 1 day. They're gonna happen for the next month, next couple months, and then the next couple years. I consider RL to be extremely more important than RS. But, I'm on break, and I'm not in school until next week. So, I'm still considering my options. I think, if I get members now, and get going with this coming semester, I will have wasted about $30, money I could have used for other necessary things.

I see your point. But don't you think that the attraction of p2p is much bigger since jagex doesn't update f2p?

I want this thread cleaned up, so I'm reporting your comments. This thread was not meant for flaming. I've warned many a time already. Off-topic banter can go in Rants, or Off-Topic. This was speculation of another idea. Not f2p vs p2p.

~WSW~

First you make an apology, then suggest we have a laugh about it, then you want to report perfectly fine comments?

I did not flame you at all. I gave constructive, rational remarks. yes, they are different from you opinion, but that is not a reason to report.

I am trying to discuss with you the reason for jagex to update f2p, which adding a skill to f2p is. My reasoning is, is that jagex will not ad a skill to f2p since they have no reason to update f2p at all. What is off topic about that?

phata_elise.png

perhaps you're right about my reporting you. but i've also reported myself within the comments.

I want it cleaned up, so we can talk about the matter at hand, and I know it's an update. I just dont want us 2 to rant on about each other's remarks.

~WSW~

I think this is a great idea!!!

F2p could possibly get bits of fletching, like with runecrafting.

maybe f2p could get up to maple bows and addy arrows? but then the problem falls here... you cant make heads in f2p and you cant cut maples in f2p. But with the need for these items for f2pers the price for these items would jump, making it worth while for p2pers to get them!

Discuss

Socc.png

Socc | 99 Magic | 95/99 Range | 99 Defence | 99 Hitpoints | 96/99 Summoning |Join SODB for some monster Slayin! |

runescape market would become totally instable if all of a sudden hundreds of thousands of f2P players start fletching

compare it with bots...

Making p2p skills f2p is opening doors for macro's. they flood the economy with goods, and prices crash.

You are f2p yourself, and to me it seems that you want the member stuff back, without having to pay for it.But that's just my personal opinion.

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

I'd rather see achievment capes f2p than a skill. I mean, those capes don't even do anything except an emote and to show you got a 99 skill. Problem is, most sellers are in p2p.

Just my input.

Yes, i'm f2p.

Going for 99 fm.

I'd rather see achievment capes f2p than a skill. I mean, those capes don't even do anything except an emote and to show you got a 99 skill. Problem is, most sellers are in p2p.

Just my input.

Yes, i'm f2p.

Those capes earn JaGeX customers

I don't think many people just pay p2p for the capes. If they pay p2p, they probably do some other stuff than log on, get their cape, log off, cancel p2p and resume f2p.

"Look, I paid 5 bucks just for a cape!!"

Going for 99 fm.

runescape market would become totally instable if all of a sudden hundreds of thousands of f2P players start fletching

compare it with bots...

Making p2p skills f2p is opening doors for macro's. they flood the economy with goods, and prices crash.

You are f2p yourself, and to me it seems that you want the member stuff back, without having to pay for it.But that's just my personal opinion.

You forget that we're in an age where there are no longer mass amounts of bots mass-producing raw materials and items.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I don't think they should get anything <.<

"I DON'T THINK p2p SHOULD GET ANYTHING CUZ MOST R MEAN 2 ME :((((((("

No, not really. We don't pay, but we DO NOT make the decision if stuff is f2p or not. Unhappy? Cancel your p2p and turn to WoW.

Yeah, that might sound rude.

Going for 99 fm.

I'll give my 2 cents here.

I'm F2P and always have been. I have been playing RS since there were only 3 Philadelphia servers (maybe 5?). I'm in and out, and I really only play the game to pass the time. I don't play enough to want to get members, but since p2p has been accelerating I'm certainly thinking about it.

I don't think F2P deserves any updates. Maybe a few here and there like the grand exchange and treasure trails items and the duel arena and new logs...little things like that. RS1 was pretty fun and it had 1/8 of the features we have today so I don't see why anyone is complaining. To Jagex, this is a business. Do you think they're sitting around only thinking about how to make the game fun? They have financial issues in mind, but yet they keep a pretty large part of the game free forever. A lot of other games are just like "Ok, no more F2P we're P2P now." Jagex could have done that and honestly they're being quite generous keeping half the servers open for free (those things can get costly).

Perhaps there will come a time when P2P will be so updated that F2P will practically be a joke, but I don't see that coming.

Just pay if you want more features jeeze. It's like 65 / year now. Go mow 2 or 3 people's lawns and you'll have a 1 year subscription lol. Don't wanna use a credit card? There's literally like 20 other methods of payment.

Just pay if you want more features jeeze. It's like 65 / year now. Go mow 2 or 3 people's lawns and you'll have a 1 year subscription lol. Don't wanna use a credit card? There's literally like 20 other methods of payment.

I want more feature. Problem is NOT getting the money. It's sending it. Even if I DID manage to, mom would notice some of my money is gone. I WANT more feature, but I CAN'T pay. Yet I don't complain about it. Ok, I complain about stuff once in a while, but it's more about p2pers bothering me in p2p, not about p2p itself.

Going for 99 fm.

I think this is a great idea!!!

F2p could possibly get bits of fletching, like with runecrafting.

maybe f2p could get up to maple bows and addy arrows? but then the problem falls here... you cant make heads in f2p and you cant cut maples in f2p. But with the need for these items for f2pers the price for these items would jump, making it worth while for p2pers to get them!

Discuss

Fletching is actually a horrible skill to pass over to F2P, I mean where would you stop? Maple longs/addy arrows? Maple longs are a decent way to fletch yourself to 99, especially as a F2Per, but what purpose would this bring? All of a suddon F2P would get the easiest 99 skill handed to them on a plate, denying Jagex of another potential customer ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ aint gonna happen.

Cutting it down to say willow longs again serves only to provide enough of a ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâtasteÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ of a skill to produce completely worthless goods.

Just my input.

Yes, i'm f2p.

Those capes earn JaGeX customers

I'm sorry, even I agree that we should not get achievement capes in f2p. That's something you SHOULD pay for. Good suggestion though.

Any other suggestions?

~WSW~

I'm sorry, even I agree that we should not get achievement capes in f2p. That's something you SHOULD pay for. Good suggestion though.

Geez, sorry for wanting achievment capes f2p. I don't see WHY it couldn't be. Afterall, it's a cape. They could remove the bonuses that I wouldn't care. Like I said, getting money isn't hard, paying(for me anyways) is.

Suggestions? Don't be silly. F2pers won't get anything since summoning will be p2p.

Going for 99 fm.

I believe that there is no way Agility will become f2p, first because there are no agility courses in f2p, and second because restoring energy is one of the biggest (although highly) over looked benefit of being a member. As for construction, it is also a big motivation to become a member (although not nearly as good as most f2p probably think) and that it is very hard to make money in f2p, as well as the fact that they would probably have to spend lots of money to store all the information that comes with houses (they spent a lot for members, imagine the cost for f2p. Fletching however is a possibility. Members don't do any of the fletching (for the product) that f2p would make. As long as they kept most things members (crossbows, darts, etc.). As for summoning, it seems like it will almost exclusively being a support skill. With the simplicity of all the f2p skills a support skill isn't exactly necessary. Also lots of people have quit because of the trade update. Summoning could possibly bring a lot of those people back.