Need EXTREMLEY urgent help! (Updated)

Quinton595

What, exactly, is it actually doing?

Scraping a hard drive for a virus problem is way beyond overkill. Chances are you just need to scan with an anti virus and hopefully catch it. Worst case scenerio (and I do mean worst case) you have to reformat the drive.

Neither of these mean getting a new hard drive however.

If you have a completely unresolvable virus / windows corruption, to the point where nuking it is easier than diagnosis, then you need a disk WIPER.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You'd need to download and make the bootable media elsewhere to ensure it was not compromised, but if you're set on a complete re-install, that is the way to go.

Trust me.. i need to nuke it ( :twisted: )

How would i re-format my hardrive? and would that delete everything on it?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

If you have a completely unresolvable virus / windows corruption, to the point where nuking it is easier than diagnosis, then you need a disk WIPER.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You'd need to download and make the bootable media elsewhere to ensure it was not compromised, but if you're set on a complete re-install, that is the way to go.

Re-formatting the computer is like setting a phone back to it's factory settings, so yes I believe it would delete all files.

To do so, I think this works on all computers

Restart your computer

Then repeatidly press F11/F10 (Not 100% sure which) while it's loading

Then follow the instructions from there

liverdh1.jpg

Help me starting out again - Give YOUR advice!

If you're collecting in game "hyt's" send me a message here or in game :D

That wouldn't really do anything except maybe get him into his bios depending on his mobo. There are numerous programs to repartition/reformat your hard drive and even a simple one is popping in the windows disk and doing it from there.

Still, I don't know if you would need to completely reformat, or what to do at all unless you give us specifics. Basically, ll you said was "My computer is [bleep]ed up, if I tear out the harddrive, will it fix runescape?"

Really, 99% of viruses we can get rid of if you just let us know what's wrong.

Yeah just let us know whats wrong. Trying to reformat your hard drive is a bad idea, especially if you don't have your OS cd or repair CD.

Please, just tell us what it is doing before you [bleep] up your PC for good.

On the 2 encounters I've had with viruses I reformatted each time because both where due to not thinking and the hard drive was basically a fresh format anyway... Get a good virus scanner like NOD32 (gotten at eset.com) (the trial one is free for 30 days) or avast (not sure about that one) and do a scan and try and fix it before formatting.

One thing to check - your host file.

(this is assuming you are on XP)

Goto C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Open the file called "hosts" in notepad

It should look something like this:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If it has extra entries, thats probably why, most "messups" which block sites are because of viruses editing the hosts file. If it is the problem, to get NOD32 just type the IP: 72.32.7.91 into the address bar to get to the site for it. (not 100% sure that works though)

First of all, calm down. :wink:

Here are some very common symptoms of a virus.

1) Slow Start-up

2) Corrupt Files

3) Frequent Crashes

4) Disappearing Programs

5) Unexpected Restarting

6) Strange Music Playing

7) Unusual Error Messages

8)Strange add-ons that you did not add

9) Sloe overall system speed

Even if you suspect a virus on a computer, the first step you would want to take is to simply run a virus scan from an anti-virus software. If it is proven to be too slow to scan due to the virus, then the next step would be to reimage your computer or in other words, format the hard drive. That simply would put the computer back to it's original factory settings and remove any files that were added on. I am not sure how this works on other computer, but on HP computers, you would simply hit the F10 key upon start-up (Blue Screen with HP Logo) and go on from there.

WARNING: ALL files will be erased from your hard drive if you choose to format your hard drive.

Good-luck.

Callahan140.gif

Callahan140.png

70$ an hour?!

And I only took 20$ for my virus removal-data backup job which took 3 hours.

:roll:

Well your stupid for only taking $20. I just charged $45 to fix an overheating job that was changing the thermal paste and cleaning the case of dust. If the person that asked me doesn't like what I charge, I simply say take it to Bestbuy and pay 3x more :) (btw they charge over $100 for what I did).

goldenblade995.png

e.

WARNING: ALL files will be erased from your hard drive if you choose to format your hard drive.

First off, i know that, thats exactly why i want to do it.. and, this is whats wrong.

-I lost 62GB!! of space in 1 1/2 weeks, without downloading, or installing anything.

-Programs wont open

-since programs wont open, i CAN NOT RUN ANTIVIRUS SCANS

-With each day, i lose more GB, and my computer deteriorates.

-Programs randomly freeze

-Takes up to twenty clicks just to open 1 Mozilla Firefox browser

-Ive checked it all, and its not a hardware problem *such as the fan not working* but more of a virus.

Now please. Could someone tell me how to re-format my hard drive?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

There's a thing called safe mode, you know =)

But anyway, the simplest way would be to pop in the windows disk, when it boots up, press what key it says to enter setup (usually delete) and make sure your boot priority is set with your cd-rom drive first. Then save & exit and it should boot into windows. Depending on your os, it may look different, but you should be able to manage your partitions from there.

e.

First off, i know that, thats exactly why i want to do it.. and, this is whats wrong.

-I lost 62GB!! of space in 1 1/2 weeks, without downloading, or installing anything.

-Programs wont open

-since programs wont open, i CAN NOT RUN ANTIVIRUS SCANS

-With each day, i lose more GB, and my computer deteriorates.

-Programs randomly freeze

-Takes up to twenty clicks just to open 1 Mozilla Firefox browser

-Ive checked it all, and its not a hardware problem *such as the fan not working* but more of a virus.

Now please. Could someone tell me how to re-format my hard drive?

This site describes how to install XP from the cd:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... _clean.asp

You'll need drivers for hardware etc though, and if its a pre-built it might have a restore to factory settings feature built in.

Ok. Im sorry if this sounds rude, but im starting to lose my patience, because my parents, nor my friends will help me.

Errdoth and l0l0lpur3 are the ONLY people that have given me some insight as what to do. l0l0lpur3 also helped me with the link.

Now. First off, thanks Errdoth and LOLOLpur3 for your help.

Second of all, LOLOLpur3, if i understand the link correctly, doing this will

-Delete every file on my computer,

-Kill all the viruses,

-And re-install XP?

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

DBAN (Dariq's boot and nuke) is more than a format, it is a "secure erase" which will obliterate everything, partition table, your pr0n collection, the lot, leaving the drive needing to be partitioned as if it was a new one.

NB. If there are any Supplier reserved areas (recovery/service partition etc.) it will nuke those as well.

Ok. Im sorry if this sounds rude, but im starting to lose my patience, because my parents, nor my friends will help me.

Errdoth and l0l0lpur3 are the ONLY people that have given me some insight as what to do. l0l0lpur3 also helped me with the link.

-Kill all the viruses,

-And re-install XP?

TRY TO REBOOT IN SAFE MODE AND RUN A VIRUS SCAN. ONLY RE FORMAT AS A LAST POSSIBLE OPTION.

It has been said a hundred times and you still are sticking to the idea that you need to reformat.

But meh, if you don't listen this time w/e, I give up.

-Kill all the viruses,

-And re-install XP?

We are saying that because there is much less destructive ways of deleting a virus. But anyway, If you really want to nuke your HDD, heres how to do it:

1.Download the program above "DBAN"

2. Download a program for writing image files to cd's. Note an image, or "ISO" file is NOT a regular cd that can be just copy and pasted. You will need a program specifically made for writing ISO files to cds. I use PowerISO, but a quick google search yielded the free program Here. Follow the instructions listed there to burn the ISO image to a cd.

3. Once you have the CD burned, turn your computer off and on again (a hard reboot, don't just restart it). In the first few seconds before the windows XP login screen appears, there should be a screen with Either the computer manufacturer's logo if it was prebought, or the motherboard manufacturers logo, if you built it. When this screen is displayed, you should see something along the lines of "Press F12 to enter setup" or "Press [DEL] to enter setup" The key you need to press varies by manufacturer, but it is generally one of the "F" keys or the delete key.

4. After that, you should be to a blue screen with several different options in a list like "processor", "ram", "system clock" and (most importantly for you) "boot order". Use the arrow keys and enter to select the Boot order menu. Inside you should have several disks listed in a row, that looks something like this:

1. Floppy drive

2. HDD 0

3. HDD 1

4. CD drive

5. USB

and so on and so forth. This list tells the computer where to look for operating system files first. Your computer should look something like that above. Again, since you want to boot from the CD drive and not the hard drive, Use the enter key and arrow keys so that "cd drive" is repositioned at the top of the list. Now exit these screens, saving the settings when prompted.

5. Now again turn off and restart your system, with the DBAN disk you just made already in the CD drive. You will get the DBAN prompt. Now type "Autonuke" and hit enter. This will Completely wipe your hard drive - no files will be recoverable. Now let DBAN do its work, and once it's done turn off your system and insert the windows Disk you have, or have made. The windows disk should have come with a prebuilt system. If it did not, call the manufacturer and have them send you one. Alternitivly, you can download the CD and burn it to a disk just like you burned DBAN. Windows cd's are not copy protected - only the cd keys are, so it IS legal to do this. Again, when you boot into the computer, a windows XP install screen should appear. From there windows guides you through the process, so ill leave ya there.

However, Nadril is right. You should ONLY do the above AFTER you have tried booting into safe mode first. That's not particularly hard to do, but if you need help in doing that, I can give you instructions on how to do it.

DBAN (Dariq's boot and nuke) is more than a format, it is a "secure erase" which will obliterate everything, partition table, your pr0n collection, the lot, leaving the drive needing to be partitioned as if it was a new one.

NB. If there are any Supplier reserved areas (recovery/service partition etc.) it will nuke those as well.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOT MY PR0N COLLECTION!! :ohnoes:

( :XD: :-s )

Things about the dban, i dont really understand how it works.. like.. how to use it.

TipitSiggy-1.jpg

70$ an hour?!

And I only took 20$ for my virus removal-data backup job which took 3 hours.

:roll:

Well your stupid for only taking $20. I just charged $45 to fix an overheating job that was changing the thermal paste and cleaning the case of dust. If the person that asked me doesn't like what I charge, I simply say take it to Bestbuy and pay 3x more :) (btw they charge over $100 for what I did).

45$ for putting thermal paste on the processor/heatsink? LOL. To me, it sound like such a rip off, but it's probably because I know how to do it. Anyways, next time I'll know better.