Becoming a police officer.

Denismage

That's what i'm actually going to do. I just finished up my second semester and I start again in the fall. Majoring in Criminal Justice so that I can enter a program called 'alternate routes' that if selected you get put through their police academy. I find out if I get into the Alternate routes program prior to my 3rd semester.

Why? I have a long list of law enforcement in my family. My grandfather is a senior corrections officer, my uncle is the Chief of Police for the town he works at and my fathers a lawyer, and a few other distant relatives are also police officers and the like.

I don't think I'm lawfull enought to be a police officer. :P

Don't get me wrong, i'm on the good side. But you might get to do some stuff you would rather do. Like arresting your friend or arresting someone from smoking weed.

edit. These smilies are so cute xD

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

I don't agree with much of the legal system, and as it's the job of a police officer to enforce the law regardless of how "just" it truly is, I don't think it could ever be my profession.

No, just the salary itself is horrible as it is in most countries. Working a responsible job like that for $6 and possibly even putting your health or life at risk.. No thanks. I don't wonder why cops turn crooked in many countries like Russia, etc.., or just become straight out criminals and misuse their power to extort people for fines, etc...

Sure it's disgusting, but if a guy earns $200 a month and needs $800 to feed his family, what's he gonna do, suck it up? (A valid question since that's about the avg. policeman salary in eastern european countries+russia)

American and west-european cops have it a little better, you can actually live a somewhat-normal life on the $2k/Eur1.7k a month it provides, but unless your wife works a job too, you wont really feed any more than 3, with penny pinching 4 mouths in the household (that is, you, the significant other, and 2 kids)

Well, I originally wanted to become a solicitor, though I've decided to join the police force. It looks like a good career. In the area I live in their wages aren't that bad, though I'm not really that interested in the money. I hope to join the special constables at 18 (Police but work for free) and do that for 2 years. From that I hope to join the actual police force (specifically the Dog Unit hopefully).

I don't really have to mind about danger since we don't have any high rates of 'bad' crime (knife/gun crime etc) so I wouldn't hopefully be at that much risk.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I was planning on minoring in criminal justice, and possibly looking into joining the State Bureau of Investigations, which is similar to the FBI but on the state level (less traveling lol). The pay for state and federal officers is a little better than the pay for local officers, so that's a plus. But I agree completely, the pay for police in general is appalling, considering the responsibilities and danger involved.

With that considered, I just could never see myself behind a desk all day. I'm the kind of guy that needs to be out doing something, and an office job, no matter what the pay, just seems miserable to me. Who knows, I might even make it on the tactical response team if I'm lucky. :pray:

With that considered, I just could never see myself behind a desk all day. I'm the kind of guy that needs to be out doing something, and an office job, no matter what the pay, just seems miserable to me.

Amen.. Said that when I was 10 years old, still think it at 20+, will think the same at 30, 40, 50... Sure someone needs to do those jobs, but all I know is I wont be one of those people that sits in an office for 8+hours a day doing paperwork, sipping coffee and reading emails for mediocre salary.

Hope you get picked. 8-) Tactical response teams can get interesting assignments too, not just violent ones. Ones that involve a sense of empathy for example, if you're sent to settle a fight/domestic violence in a home (both throwing objects at each other, saying they have no right to live there, etc.), you need diplomacy, not force, to solve the problem.

I just got hired on, and currently work as a Deputy Sheriff here in South Carolina as my other job. I love the job, always interesting. You meet a lot of interesting people, maybe not people you want to associate with but its the nature of the job to come across them.

Salary sucks yes, but the job makes up for it in my mind. Helping people out, as corny as it sounds, just makes you feel good. Like everyone else you have to put time in to move up. So to get jobs like K9, SWAT, Narc, etc you have to work up from the courts, then the road, etc. At least its like that here. My dream has always been to work SRT/SWAT and thats a goal of mine. I'd also love to work K9.

Its always been a choice of State or County for me, chose county because they pay more and their hours are better for a "normal" lifestyle. I've wanted no other job (Other then being a Marine). And part of me becoming a Marine was to get Military experience for this line of work. I currently don't even hold a Criminal Justice degree, though i am in school for it right now. Its a great rewarding job IMO. Knowing you take guns and drugs off the streets every day and do your small part to make things better is rewarding. Not every police officer is the stuck up fat pissed off cop that writes everyone a ticket, they are just always looked at that way.

I get a lot from friends like "You're a buddy [bleep]er. How does it feel to screw people over." "Great" i say, "If they weren't doing something illegal in the first place they wouldn't of had to screw themselves."

I encourage anyone intrested in it to check it out. Theres tons of stuff you can do with a Criminal Justice degree. Most importantly GET YOUR DEGREE. Your salary goes up with the amount of experience you have and a 4 year degree holder makes quite a bit more then someone who doesn't have one or only has a 2 year. Get your degree even if its not in the minimum requirements.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Since the last thread got wiped, I'll create a new one.

What are your opinions on police? Would you become one, why? What are the ups and downs?

The ones in GTA suck, cuz they're mean to me :x

But I know some people that are cops. Dunno much about it though.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Well I know a guy who's a police officer.

One useful tip he gave me: don't bother for a degree in criminal justice. Nowadays, police departments hire people of almost any degree. The police Academy teaches you all you need to know about police duty. so really the degree is pointless. and lets face it. when you become an old 60 year old fat man, unless you enjoy desk duty at the police offices, chasing bad guys might not be that easy for you any more. You're better off with a degree in something you can use after you turn in the badge so you can insure your income. and often times people with a degree in criminal justice find that police duty isn't for them. there's a certain time you have to run a mile in and many people with the degree just can't run the mile that fast (in Chicago I'm pretty sure its 7:46 or something) or do other sort of activities police officers normally do. if you decide police duty isn't for you, you're stuck with a degree unless you go to criminal desk duty or something else you might find slightly boring.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

One useful tip he gave me: don't bother for a degree in criminal justice. Nowadays, police departments hire people of almost any degree. The police Academy teaches you all you need to know about police duty. so really the degree is pointless. and lets face it. when you become an old 60 year old fat man, unless you enjoy desk duty at the police offices, chasing bad guys might not be that easy for you any more. You're better off with a degree in something you can use after you turn in the badge so you can insure your income. and often times people with a degree in criminal justice find that police duty isn't for them. there's a certain time you have to run a mile in and many people with the degree just can't run the mile that fast (in Chicago I'm pretty sure its 7:46 or something) or do other sort of activities police officers normally do. if you decide police duty isn't for you, you're stuck with a degree unless you go to criminal desk duty or something else you might find slightly boring.

Truth. My brother, also a county deputy has a Business degree. Worked at a bank and then decided he wanted to work as a police officer. Hired. A degree is a degree, however i really like the Criminal Justice field. I get to learn a little more in depth into the laws and how the system works by going to school for it.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

That's why I'm minoring in criminal justice, and majoring in engineering. Also, the physical fitness part of it is no problem at all for me.