Tip.It Times Presents: QuickChat-Only Worlds

Rcty

[This might mean] the beginning of the end for free chat.

I am 100% against that statement. I am sure that "free chat" will NEVER be taken out of this game. Interacting with each other socially is what puts the "Multiplayer" in MMORPG.

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)

I went to a quick chat world... And loved it! I'm more of a solitary player myself, so not having people constantly bugging me was a big plus. For one the grand exchange was (mostly) quiet! The only disadvantage is having to turn my private chat off, as there is no good way to explain to your friends about being in a quick chat only world (I think). For the majority of my communication needs, I will have to use regular worlds, but when I'm doing a quiet, single player activity (Soloing GWD\Woodcutting\Barrows\Whatever), its nice to get time to relax and not hear all the chit chat but still get important things.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Hmm, yes I can see how a quickchat world might be nice for when you simply want quiet, and rather than turn public chat off and have people following you around saying who knows what, you can just do your things in silence for a while without fear of people screaming all over (whether you see it or not) that you're a bad autoing fool or whatever.. :lol: It is really just a little strange to me though to be walking around a world that is so silent. I would rather chance some unpleasant interactions on a world where people can talk freely than spend much time on a quick chat world.

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

I think that quick chat is nice. IMO The 2 worlds just created are for

1. Muted people

2. people trying out quick chat

3. Peopl who are working the system.

By that last comment, I mean that most people think the same thing. Quick chat worlds are far more underpopulated, so that makes it perfect to go to some places on your own. The first day It came out, I was working on 70 attack fighting Mossies. I used that world and for a long while NO ONE appeared... at all. around an hour later 1 person came and thats it.

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

I think a emote only world is way overdue. Doesnt seem fair they release a quickchat before they release the emote only worlds. :cry:

Meaning: Whats the point. :roll: Its a bit disturbing considering jagex always edit their news posts for them to even think up this idea.

I haven't logged in lately, so I have one question... Does the QuickChat rule apply to private chat as well, or just to public?

Yes, it applies to private chat as well. The only private chat option is the quickchat.

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

I haven't logged in lately, so I have one question... Does the QuickChat rule apply to private chat as well, or just to public?

Both.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

when I'm doing a quiet, single player activity (Soloing GWD\Woodcutting\Barrows\Whatever), its nice to get time to relax and not hear all the chit chat but still get important things.

Couldn't agree more. It's very very quiet =) lovin at actually.

2w23pcm.jpg

when I'm doing a quiet, single player activity (Soloing GWD\Woodcutting\Barrows\Whatever), its nice to get time to relax and not hear all the chit chat but still get important things.

Couldn't agree more. It's very very quiet =) lovin at actually.

Agreed! :)

kappp.png

Did anon #3 say that 50 words a minute is slow typing? ("Their fifty-words-per-minute has ceased to be an impediment") That's pretty darned fast, given that the average slow typer has problems with getting out 20.

P2P forever!... Or at least 'til <insert excuse here> happens

Falterflame.png

98% of people have signatures with made up statistics in them. If you're one of the 2% that doesn't, copy this and add it to your signature.

I think it's good for players who are sick of hearing abuse from other players. What's wrong with playing the game alone? Sure, it's a multiplayer game but it's not like player interaction is mandatory. Sometimes it's nice to get away from all the yippity yap. Adding those worlds was a nice idea.

The only problem I foresee is that Jagex could say QC prevents a ton of rulebreaking. It would make their jobs easier because they wouldn't have to work on so many reports everyday with the Quick Chat.

They promised us they would not replace Free Chat with Quick Chat though, and if they do then that just makes them lazy liars. I would be outraged and I'm sure many others would be too. They saw how angry PKers were about the removal of the wilderness. Imagine that on a much much greater scale because every player is effected by chatting. I don't see them ever doing something that stupid.

I agree with the fact they wouldn't do that, however, there is the fact that pretty much the only thing that requires them to put the 13+ only rule on account making is the free chat. It may not stop any kids, but it may stop some parents (who control the wallet). So I think the next logical step is making a lot more QC only worlds and then allowing people under 13 to create accounts. They just have to play on QC-only worlds.

P2P forever!... Or at least 'til <insert excuse here> happens

Falterflame.png

98% of people have signatures with made up statistics in them. If you're one of the 2% that doesn't, copy this and add it to your signature.

[This might mean] the beginning of the end for free chat.

I am 100% against that statement. I am sure that "free chat" will NEVER be taken out of this game. Interacting with each other socially is what puts the "Multiplayer" in MMORPG.

What about Club Penguin or Toon Town? To the best of my knowledge, neither one allows "free chat."
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I see it's now possible to create an account if you're under 13 (without lying about your age). And if you do, you're restricted to quickchat regardless of which world you're on. The terms & conditions for under-13s state that you will be prevented from submitting any personal details through the website. And, thanks to quickchat, you're prevented from submitting any personal details through the game too.

Perhaps this is what the whole quickchat system is for? Jagex decides to allow younger players in, on condition that they can't talk in case they say their personal details? It seems reasonable enough that there should be QC-only worlds in that case.

(Given that there've been people under 13 playing for years, I'm surprised Jagex bothered with this. But it doesn't harm the rest of us.)

Looks like the Tip.it Times has lost it's ol' glory.

I think if every article is only getting 15 posts & 260 views we shouldn't even have them anymore. Now that "The Editor" is gone, it doesn't seem like people are interested in reading the articles. No offense, but it just seems like a lot of wasted effort.

Not that the running of the [bleep] is any of my business, but this thread's a bit of an exception. They launched this thread a long time after the letters were published (when the forums were brought back online), so there was a lot less drive for people to come and post on it. The more recent article by Das seems to have got far more attention. And disagreement.

• 4 weeks later...

i went onto a quick chat only world today..... im not usually a very social person, but i was kind of disturbed by the silence. i guess im just used to talking, and i like it that way. also, if something happens all practically all i can say is "Hello"

noobymonster.png

Yes, I am a total noob.