Triplewich's Maging, Meleeing, Ranging Guide on Metal Drags

Triplewich

Note, this is for high levels and is dangerous. You must have money to spend, and the hopes of getting something worth alot more. You might have to kill alot to get dragon items/visage, but don't say i'm not gonna get anything good and just leave, have to spend time to get stuff ( doesn't mean no lifing it, do a little each day ) Onto the guide.

[hide=Maging]Maging Reqs: 85+

This will help you hit more and actually kill them, if you have lower mage you will most likely splash alot. Maging here is very expensive, so do not try unless you are willing to kill many dragons without having a drop.

Equipment:

eq1an9.png

Helm: 3a Mage Hat/farseer helm/Ahrim

Top: Ahrim Robetop/3a mage top

Bottom: Ahrim Bottom/3a mage bottom

Weapon: Air staff/Fire Battlestaff

Shield: Dragon-Fireshield/ Anti fire shield---[size=150]DO NOT FORGET!!![/size]

Boots: Infinity boots/Mystic Boots

Gloves: Chaos Gauntlents/Barrow Gloves/Dragon Gloves

Necklace: 3a Mage Ammy/Amulet of Fury/Charged glory

Ring: Ring of wealth [size=150]OR [/size]Seers, This is just if you believe in ROW, or just want higher mage bonus.  

God Cape

Can also use dust runes, depending on ge pricing.

Chaos guantlents are from family crest, if you completed already, just go to the bar northeast of varrok, and go to the 2nd floor, the brother should be in one of the rooms.

Also air staff is better because fire runes are 9 gp and airs 15. so each cast of fire bolt costs 36 in fires or 45 in airs

so 9 gp saved per cast. if it took only 50 casts per dragon, you still save 450 gp, compared to the 45 lost in an alch.

you wont be alching every kill either.

But fire staff with dust runes would be best option at 30 gp in elemental runes per cast vs 36/45 Little extra mage xp, and gives alot of cash. Around 200k+ per run.

Thanks to ilovecardj.

This is the best inventory i can think of, you do not need a tele, you can just use home.

You can also leave room for charm drops.

invaw2.png

Simply mage them by far casting using FIRE BOLT, your chaos guantlents will increase the damage to 15. Make sure they are not in meleeing range cause it does hurt :boohoo:. If you do happen to be getting meleed, simply take 2 steps back, and he will start using his range attack again. I always try to stay close as possible, simply so you don't forget to pick up drops.

ouch1ye9.png

ouch2ix9.png

When you are getting hit, you can definitely tell the difference, so if you have sound on, and able to hear pretty good, you can do other things while maging. Lastly, with the new charm update, if your out of room, you can drop 1 item, pick up the bones, bury, and pick up again. If you want to pick up more charms but no room, just leave them, it's only 2...you will get more

Try bringing as many anti-fire pots as possible, they are 6 minutes per DOSE. 20 x 4 = 80 x 6 = 480/60 = 8 hours per trip. Also not bad xp, and training 3 cb skills, mage, hp, and prayer.

100 casts per dose= 400 cast per anti-fire potion (4)

6k fire bolts = 15 anti fire(4)

iron dragons-----i averaged around 1300xp per kill. Sometimes it will be more, sometimes less, but in that area. I found it takes around 1 - 1.5 minutes to kill, so around 4 kills per dose of anti fire.

steel dragons----i don't really kill these often due to other people there but i averaged around the same, maybe a little more. Around 1500-1000xp per kill. You will splash( miss ) more, which might give higher xp. Found it takes around 1.5 - 2 minutes per kill.

This setup will last you around 7.2 hours, which is around 288-400 dragons per trip. MOSTLY every kill, a dragon drops 2 charms ( mostly green ). I averaged around 150-300 charms per trip.[/hide]

[hide=Meleeing]Plz note, this might not be the best gear, but I am still practing and testing out new items. Feel free to pm/post something that needs to be updated or that is wrong...

Meleeing Metals

Recommended Levels.

Attack:90+

Strength:85+

Defense:Does not really matter

Hp: Does not really matter cause you shouldn't get hit anyway :thumbsup:

guideequip1zn9.png

Helm: Helm of Nez./Berserker Helm---Black Mask for slayer  :

Body: Proselyte/Monk

Legs:Proselyte/Monk

Boots: Dragon Boots/Rune Boots/Climbing Boots

Gloves: Barrows/Dragon---Also dragon slayer gloves for slayer

Shield: Dragon-fireshield/Anti-dragon Shield

Weapon: Whip/Dragon Scim

Ring: Berserker/Warrior/Row

Necklace:Amulet of fury/Glory/Stole

Cape:Fire Cape/99 Cape(T)/God Cape( From Treasure Trails )

Inventory: DO NOT FORGET HOLY WRENCH if you have done the quest.

Using this, i was able to get 3 attacks off per 1 prayer point drained.

Juggling Prayer. It makes your points last over double the time than if you just kept the prayer on the entire time. What you do is turn melee prayer off right after you see the dragon hit. Then right after you hit, wait a split second and slap on prayer again. You should get hit for a 0 and the melee prayer icon should pop up at the same time. It's easier with sound. After you attack the metal dragon you hear its "groan". When the "groan" is nearly over, that's when you activate prayer.

Thnx to zaaps1

inventorylo3.png[/hide]

[hide=Ranging]80+ range (75+ would work as long as you used broad bolts)

Helm---Armadyl/Archer helm/Helm of Nez

Body---Armadyl/Black D'hide

Legs---Armadyl/Black D'hide

Ammy---Fury/Glory/Amulet of power

Bow---Rune c'bow

Bolts---Broad Bolts/Emerald(E)/Adamant

Shield---Dragon-Fireshield/Anti-fire shield

Gloves---Barrows/Dragon/Bracers

Boots---Ranger Boots/Snakeskin

Cape---Ava accumulater

Ring---Ring of wealth=Ranger ring

Or Full Ranger void

rangeye1.png

Axe of any kind...1/28

905gp...1/28

Range pots(4)...6/28

Antifire pots(4)...13-20/28[/hide]

If you have 52 Summoning, i would advise bringing a spirit terrorbird with you, and an extra pouch also, thnx to zaaps1, i did this b4 summoning was released.

[hide=Getting There, their drops, and my achievements]Getting There

For the first timers. Simply teleport to ardougne and follow the maps below.

map1lg7.png

map2ir9.png

Making way through Brimhaven Dungeon. I think the requirements are 30 woodcutting and 34 agility to get to dragons, but not sure. Map below shows best way to get through. Also, if you are low on def, you can pray melee so you don't get hurt much by dogs and the gaints/demons. ( Map was made by Tip.It. ) I advise to save run for dungeon, and use where the pink is, and i advise using one dose of anti where the purple is.

map3cw9.png

Their Drops, starting with steels, then irons

( This was copied from tip.it's bestiary )

Cyan=Rare and haven't got

Orange=Rare and have gotten

Dark blue=Common

Gold: 470-3000

100%: Dragon bones, Steel bar(5)

Weapon: Adamant battleaxe, Adamant bolts (7) Adamant javelin(7,20), Rune axe, Rune battleaxe, Rune dart(p)(12), Rune javelin(4,7), Rune knives(5,7), Rune longsword, Rune 2h sword, Rune mace, Rune spear, Dragon spear

Armour: Adament sq shield, Adamant kiteshield, Adamant platebody, Dragon platelegs, Dragon med helm, Dragon plateskirt, Rune kiteshield, Rune full helm, Rune sq shield

Runes/Arrows: Blood(15,20,25), Nature(67), Law(45) Rune(42), Steel(150), Soul(3,5), Death(45), Rune bolts(2-12)

Misc: Clue scroll(lvl 3), Curry(1-3), Shield left half(dragon), Uncut gems, Cut dragonstone, Half key, Runite bar, Runite limb, Silver ore(100), Super attack(3-dose), Super defence(2-dose), Super strength(1-dose), Nature talisman, Draconic visage

Gold: 150-3000

100%: Dragon bones, Iron bar(5)

Weapon: Mithril 2h sword, Adamant javelin(20), Adamant axe, Adamant 2h sword, Adamant battleaxe Rune 2h sword, Rune battleaxe, Rune mace, Rune axe, Rune javelin(4-7), Rune knives(5), Rune dart(p)(4,9) Rune spear, Dragon spear

Armour: Adamant sq shield, Dragon platelegs, Dragon med helm, Dragon plateskirt, Rune kiteshield, Rune med helm, Rune platebody, Rune sq shield, Rune full helm

Runes/Arrows: Blood(15-20), Death(45), Nature(67), Law(45), Soul(3), Steel(150), Rune(42), Adamant bolts(2-12)

Misc: Adamantite bar(2), Clue(lvl 3), Curry, Nature talisman, Runite bar, Runite limb, Silver ore(100 noted), Super attack(3 dose), Super strength(1 dose), Super defense(2 dose), Uncut gems, Cut dragonstone, Half key, Shield left half(dragon), Draconic visage

My achievements (OUTDATED)

94zj2.png

95gs3.png

96mageso8.png

97magely7.png

98mageym7.png

Drop List]I usually do not stay to the end of a run, because i usually just want to finish the clues i get. Heres some pics that i took though.

clueed3.png

The rest are some of the clues i did and took a pic of.

Clues 5/10]9cluewl3.png

9thbl9.png

10cox1.png

1112aw7.png

clue7aq4.png[/hide]

I hope you like, i will try to update as much as i can, feel free to pm in this or in-game. Or simply post.\' Also, you can post what you want to updated/changed

Drop list is in siggy, i lost track of how many i killed so far, i say around 2kl now...just guessing though.

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Sig made by Dragon100177/Hatebringer.

Triplewich's Blog

Solo Drops: Saradomin Hilt: 1xBando Hilt:1x Bando Tasset:2x Bando Plate:1x Godsword Shards:3x Saradomin Sword:5x

Team Drops(CS): 1x Saradomin Hilt: 2x Saradomin Sword

Team Drops(LS): 1x Saradomin Hilt

Metal Dragon Maging/Ranging/Meleeing Guide by Triplewich

11,026th to 99 mage!!!51,536 to 99 Str!!!30,960 to 99 Range!!!47,435 to 99 HP!!!2,048 to 99 COnstruction!!!72,957 to 99 Att!!!

pretty nice guide so far just a couple things

theres a bronze axe spawn in the pub in brimhaven its a lil outta the way but if ur makin alot of trips its worth it cause u can drop it and u wasted no money

also when maging/ranging u can stand with 1 square between u and the drag w/o gettin hit with melee this saves antifires as the mage/bolt doesnt have as far to travel

also when maging bloods/bolts/rune drops will almost always pay for ur trip and u pretty much get a clue every trip

and to harp on wat u said ive killed over 4k irons/steels trying to balance them out as evenly as possible and my drops (in sig) are very good compared to most people so u can get pretty rich here or you can be just getting xp with no drops whatsoever

gl with the rest of ur guide :D

Dk team: axe - 5 zerker - 7 warrior - 4 mud - 1 seercull - 2

Barrows: guthans helm - 2 guthans skirt - 2 torags legs - 1 ahrims skirt - 2 ahrims staff - 2 torags helm - 1

Dragon: axe - 1 legs - 4 skirt - 4 med - 3

Draconic visage - 2

• 4 weeks later...

Or you can pay 30gpeach for iron ones from ge and just drop, saves run energy ::'

Ya, i think i put stay a little away from dragon, i don't think it makes a difference between 1-5 squares though.

Yep, save your bloods, i wasted them, and i lost alot of money...And ya, you get tons of clues there

And ty, but the guide is done already :wall:

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

Solo Drops: Saradomin Hilt: 1xBando Hilt:1x Bando Tasset:2x Bando Plate:1x Godsword Shards:3x Saradomin Sword:5x

11,026th to 99 mage!!!51,536 to 99 Str!!!30,960 to 99 Range!!!47,435 to 99 HP!!!2,048 to 99 COnstruction!!!72,957 to 99 Att!!!

Pretty good guide but as a Ranger I mostly looked at that and I got shocked that you didn't even mention Range Void. I always range with Void and Emerald (e) Bolts. About the amulet, Fury/Glory is the same because their range attack bonus are both the same, I don't see why Fury would be better? Glory even has a teleport if you don't take one in your invent. And the defence is obviously not needed because you're not meleeing them so i'd take the Glory for the teleport.

Also, the boots aren't called Robin Boots but Ranger Boots and the Ranger Ring is an Archers Ring. :lol:

After killing over 10k with range I think I helped a bit ::'

Goodluck improving your guide, you got a good start.

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

pretty nice guide so far just a couple things

theres a bronze axe spawn in the pub in brimhaven its a lil outta the way but if ur makin alot of trips its worth it cause u can drop it and u wasted no money

also when maging/ranging u can stand with 1 square between u and the drag w/o gettin hit with melee this saves antifires as the mage/bolt doesnt have as far to travelalso when maging bloods/bolts/rune drops will almost always pay for ur trip and u pretty much get a clue every trip

and to harp on wat u said ive killed over 4k irons/steels trying to balance them out as evenly as possible and my drops (in sig) are very good compared to most people so u can get pretty rich here or you can be just getting xp with no drops whatsoever

gl with the rest of ur guide :D

I think the speed of your casts is the same, regardless of how far you are standing.

I'll help you a bit on the melee section, after what I learned from a Metal Dragon task.

I used Bandos. Forget it. Complete waste of prayer. Go for Initiate at the least, although some people were using Veracs, it's honestly not worth the minimal bonus.

Juggling Prayer. It makes your points last over double the time than if you just kept the prayer on the entire time. What you do is turn melee prayer off right after you see the dragon hit. Then right after you hit, wait a split second and slap on prayer again. You should get hit for a 0 and the melee prayer icon should pop up at the same time. It's easier with sound. After you attack the metal dragon you hear its "groan". When the "groan" is nearly over, that's when you activate prayer.

Bring dds to poison. It helps.

For a task of 73 irons I used 3 anti fires and 8 prayer potions. However, I only began to juggle after I had 20 left, since I only had 2 prayer potions. The effect? 24 Iron Dragons killed using only 6 prayer doses. Very good no? Only about 3-5 points per dragon, and that's with Bandos, not Proslyte. Without juggling, I used about 15-25 points per dragon. Again, these are not steels. They're on my personal block list.

I also brought a Spirit Terrorbird to get there faster, and to hold extra items. However, it didn't last the entire time. If anyone brings on, I suggest bringing another pouch, so you have backup when it runs out. There's an obelisk in the lair.

• 3 weeks later...

K, i editted some stuff, was away, and forgot about this.

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

Nice guide. 1 thing though, when you name the boots for ranging, you put robin...should be ranger boots :P

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)

TY, just changed it.

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

You should leave some inventory spots empty in your mage guide for the charms and the drops you don't alch, and it's better to use air staff + fire runes in my opinion.

Still, nice guide.

Also, if you feel like adding it to your guide, I've noticed that 95% of the clues I've recieved from metal dragons came with Rune Darts (p) (perhaps it was just random, but I've recieved over 15 clues from there).

Nice double post, next time use edit.

For the meleeing part I use a fury, it is more efficient.

For the ranging part use broad bolts, they have the max hit of adamant bolts and the accuracy above mithril bolts.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

K, changed everything, thanks, but it's better to use lava staff, since you don't have to bring extra fire runes(for alching), and usually not worry about running out. And about clues, they drop alot, it comes with random drops, not really a big deal if it dropped rune darts(p) with it...

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

I don't know how buyable dust runes are from the GE but they are listed at 10gp ea compared to 15 for air runes

also air staff is better because fire runes are 9 gp and airs 15. so each cast of fire bolt costs 36 in fires or 45 in airs

so 9 gp saved per cast. if it took only 50 casts per dragon, you still save 450 gp, compared to the 45 lost in an alch.

you wont be alching every kill either

But fire staff with dust runes would be best option at 30 gp in elemental runes per cast vs 36/45

ilovecardj.png

ilovecardj.png

Dragon Drops: 80+ boots, 7 med, 3 skirt, 2 left half, 2 Spear, 2 2h

Slayer: 30+ whips, 4 Bows, 1 Mask, 3 Granite Legs, 1 Visage (Wyverns)

Notable GWD Splits: Bandos Tassets: 12, Bandos Chest: 11, Bandos Hilt: 2

Proud Slayer of 99 Att/Str/Def/HP/Range/Summoning

Thank you for the help, just changed.

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

Bump.

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

awesome guide! i'm definatly gunna try it! (gotta change my gauntlets back) i made a good 600k from avasiaries (started out with 800k) and i'm gunna use about 400k killing these. ( i know a i'm poor, i'm trying to make some cash)

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

Good luck, hope you can get a visage :thumbsup:

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Triplewich's Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome guide Trip! However, on the maging section I would reccommend using dust runes instead of airs because they're 7gp cheaper and that's alot when airs are just 17gp lol.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

If you're going to train strength, use a dragon longsword, not a scimitar. Metal dragons are weak to stab attacks.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall: