Runescape on iPhone!

smartme

How far are we from being able to play Runescape via a mobile device such as an iPhone or Nintendo DS?

Speaking with some friends who have iPhones, they say that Java isn't currently supported. However, with all the developer kits out there, how difficult would it be to make it compatible?

I also stumbled across a friend in college who bought a Nintendo DS (maybe it's not called DS - it's the one that closes on itself and has 2 screens and a touch-pen) who is also a computer science major and says he can play Transport Tycoon Deluxe on it.

Now I realize that the "new" deluxe graphics detail of Runescape will not be able to run on a mobile device anytime soon, but I'd be amazingly happy if I could play Runescape even on "low" detail on the go.

Discuss.

I know the NDS could certainly handle it, but they would have to make a port in someway for it. (homebrew or otherwise).

The reason is that the screen size is much too small, not to mention the obvious problem with java. I know the NDS can handle it if it can handle Quake II (homebrew).

Porting Java isn't like simply copying a few files.

Its a big job.

I can see Java being ported to the iPhone (see this link), but as for the DS, PSP or other games consoles I doubt it.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Well, they probably could make it available for the iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody makes an "App" specifically designed for it, available on the app store, like the people at Sega did. (referring to the Super Monkey Ball preview in the Keynote)

Jmclark911.png

Jmclark911.png

• 6 months later...

I think runescape on the iphone would make jagex a lot more money. I'd wonder if the new 'high def' runescape would really be that impossible to port...seeing some of the other 3d games on the iphone already.

BUT STILL, even the low res version would be good. The problem, of course, is obviously the small screen size.

I'm not sure how small the smallest runescape screen is (for low res)...but i'm guessing probably 640x480 or 800x600. Whereas, the iphone's screen is only 480x320. Obvoiusly they would have to shrink things down even more to get everything to fit on the screen...

HOWEVER....

If they were to make a port then they would obviously want to make a few modifications to the interface. First of all, why not hide all the windows until a player calls them up? So the right side bar with all the player stats/inventory etc...why not just make it so it minimizes into a tiny tab on the right side of hte screen? If the player wants to access it they simply touch the tab and it pops out...most of the runescape commands require you clicking the object once to highlight it (which can be done fine) and then clicking the object...so on the iphone you could pop out the tab, clikc the item, minimize the tab and click wherever on the screen.

With a bit of work the interface would fit fine. The screen would still be a little small for more delicate situations but for those you could probably create some kind of zoom feature.

The biggest problem for Jagex is that they wouldn't be able to offer an advertisement version without covering WAY too much of the screen. They could get around it by making the demo version only playable for 30 minutes at a time or something...or make players view an add before logging in each time...or both...with the pay version also requiring a monthly subscription they could pull in a lot more money.

And the best part is since iphone users won't be typing much they don't even have to worry about them getting annoyed at the nazi swear filter. :P

Out of all the mmorpgs on the market, runescape is the only one that has a real chance of working out as a port. I don't even play runescape anymore and I know I'd buy the app if it came out. Sure, you need wifi, but if you have wifi it'd be kinda neat to run around cutting down trees and monsters.

Do you realize just how painful it would be to play RS on the iPhone? It'd probably cut your battery lifespan in half, you'd never be able to keep a charge for more than 3 hours, and every time someone called, you'd be disconnected. I think the words "utterly pointless" can be said here.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Do you realize just how painful it would be to play RS on the iPhone? It'd probably cut your battery lifespan in half, you'd never be able to keep a charge for more than 3 hours, and every time someone called, you'd be disconnected. I think the words "utterly pointless" can be said here.

I completely agree. The only thing this would be good for is a proof of concept even that is still pointless on such a small device.

And I kind of find it funny that you think the average runescape player is going to have an iPhone here. It's by far and large a kids game whom most I don't think are spoiled enough to have an iPhone.

And I kind of find it funny that you think the average runescape player is going to have an iPhone here. It's by far and large a kids game whom most I don't think are spoiled enough to have an iPhone.

:shock: You obviously do not know modern kids.

I has herd, that lesser demons, MAY or may not, drop tormented demons. \:D/ :roll: :x :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

Due to a typo, I am now stuck with 1k dragon darts and no buyer. Can I has bail out from tip.it plox?

Wow this topic got bumped up after 6 months.

Anyway this is about as much information on Java on the iPhone as you need.

You should note if Java or RuneScape was ported to the iPhone it would/should also work on the iPod touch (same OS).

This increases the market even more.

If they slightly stripped the interface as well as making it better suited to the slightly lower resolution it could work. (Using quick chat to talk).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

• 1 month later...

I don't work for Apple, but I just know that Apple won't allow this in the App Store.

I don't think Apple would even allow a Java program in the App Store.

I guarantee you, nobody will ever create RuneScape for iPhone, unless Apple

adds Java support to the iPhone.

:shock: You obviously do not know modern kids.

ai has ipod touch :twss:

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

It was confirmed last month that Adobe and Apple are working on flash, and no for some reason they didn't feel it was essential to have to make flash on the iphone. You think they would have had one by now but no. I think they're going to wait til the next iphone release (which should be around April) to officially release a flash and have everyone spend the $10 to upgrade to iphone 3.0 software if they want flash.

tFtfA.jpg

Just for the record, there is safe and even possibly even free to get RS on your iPhone/iPod. Just download a VNC application from the App Store (I believe there is a free one that works pretty well, but you can pay up for more features). Configure your PC, and you're good to go. You can log on to RS on your computer and continue on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Of course, regardless of your connection, the lag is going to suck terribly. Although, you could use this for non-precise tasks, such as wood-cutting or fishing where you don't need to continuously click and constantly focus on it.

tipitsig.png

It was confirmed last month that Adobe and Apple are working on flash, and no for some reason they didn't feel it was essential to have to make flash on the iphone. You think they would have had one by now but no. I think they're going to wait til the next iphone release (which should be around April) to officially release a flash and have everyone spend the $10 to upgrade to iphone 3.0 software if they want flash.

SUN microsystems is working on Java

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I know who makes java, but I was talking about flash not java. On the topic of java, beyond SUN Mircosystem's saying they want to make java available on the iphone it hasn't happened yet. I haven't found a single article written within the past 6 months addressing the matter. As far as I know java dead before it even made it off the ground.

tFtfA.jpg

I know who makes java, but I was talking about flash not java. On the topic of java, beyond SUN Mircosystem's saying they want to make java available on the iphone it hasn't happened yet. I haven't found a single article written within the past 6 months addressing the matter. As far as I know java dead before it even made it off the ground.
Apple wants to monopolize, and have monopolized, their own market. By not releasing the iPhone/Touch to Java/Flash, it gives developers an incentive to use QuickTime. And, with QuickTime X coming out late in Q2 with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, it should become far more feasible.

Maybe with the iPhone 2,1 which has been spotted on servers in California. The iPhone 3G is doing to well for them to completely revamp it. It'll most likely be an iPhone that doesn't require a data plan, furthering Apple's goal to gain market share.

Just my speculation.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Ya I haven't really been reading up to much on rumors or anything for a while so I'm not sure what Apple's future plans are, I just know that flash is in the works and has been confirmed by Apple. I think an iphone that does not require a data plan would be sweet but its really hard for me to actually picture an iphone without one with all its features. I'm just going to through this out there, but with Snow Leapord coming out in Q2 do you think they will be releasing an upgraded iphone to go along with the new OS's launch?

tFtfA.jpg