Medical Marijuana

user1991

Here's a thought: quit buying drugs on street corners, it's not rocket science. Yes drugs are illegal, yes that pisses me off, but the law's the law, and you'd better believe that if I choose to indulge, I will make every effort to lessen the risk that I'll be caught. Buying drugs in public, smoking drugs in public, carrying drugs on your person and in your car necessarily. If people would quit being stupid, they'd quit being arrested. If drug arrests would go down, perhaps there could be more of a push for decriminalization? So long as it's a money maker though, it's not likely to happen.

I do find your post intelligent BUT, I have another idea. Why not protest against this bs. Not protest like we currently do waving some stupid "legalize it" signs, but really protest. Why not start openly smoking it. There are many researches millions of people do it, but they do it behind closed doors and secretly. Why not go out and just start doing what you like to do, we all know this is bs, power in numbers: they can't arrest everyone.

It's not like we would be doing something morally wrong or violent. Just smoking weed and having fun. It would be so intresting to see what would happen if there were thousands of people smoking weed. Would police try to break up the party? They propably would. Then do it again and with more even more people. Seriously, we need to stand up for our freedoms, this is really an outrage.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An issue like this cannot be dealt with as a "single-issue". You need to revolutionize the whole way we, as a people, deal with governance in general. I mean it's great that this issue is so important to some people, and it should be important to all, but there are priorities that need to be in order.

Look at the way we need to deal with energy costs: get rid of our need for oil. Until there is not a need for it, the costs will never go down. The same can be said about this...you need to reduce arrests and take away the amount of money brought in from throwing people in jail to get things done.

Change happens from the ground up, not the top down. It's easier, and healthier, to broaden the scopes of people's eyes through a set of ideas and not one single issue.

This will gain no traction until then. Furthermore, rather than going after the National Government (for Americans), why not hit your state governments? As states start decriminalizing (there's quite a few now, like 10 or so), others will follow. Set the standard, be the example...

But marijuana doesn't just come with "perfect" users. You have to get those drivers, or those lunes who just lose it. You can't have both. Sorry. I don't know anything about Amsterdam, or have anything to back up anything I say, or you say, so I'll refrain from saying anything.

Lets ban food because people eat it while driving and cause accidents.

As stated earlier nothing has 'perfect users'.

But he was talking about why isn't it socially acceptable to be in ones house, lighting up a joint, and not going to jail. Sure I suppose that's OK. But in reality, we all know that's not what happens every time.

Here's a thought: quit buying drugs on street corners, it's not rocket science. Yes drugs are illegal, yes that pisses me off, but the law's the law, and you'd better believe that if I choose to indulge, I will make every effort to lessen the risk that I'll be caught. Buying drugs in public, smoking drugs in public, carrying drugs on your person and in your car necessarily. If people would quit being stupid, they'd quit being arrested. If drug arrests would go down, perhaps there could be more of a push for decriminalization? So long as it's a money maker though, it's not likely to happen.

I do find your post intelligent BUT, I have another idea. Why not protest against this bs. Not protest like we currently do waving some stupid "legalize it" signs, but really protest. Why not start openly smoking it. There are many researches millions of people do it, but they do it behind closed doors and secretly. Why not go out and just start doing what you like to do, we all know this is bs, power in numbers: they can't arrest everyone.

It's not like we would be doing something morally wrong or violent. Just smoking weed and having fun. It would be so intresting to see what would happen if there were thousands of people smoking weed. Would police try to break up the party? They propably would. Then do it again and with more even more people. Seriously, we need to stand up for our freedoms, this is really an outrage.

Sure, they can't arrest everyone...But the fact that you are asking for hundreds of people to start smoking just to prove a point is well, not going to prove anything. You'd either have multiple people backing down, knowing you don't have nearly enough people to revolutionize the way pot is seen. Or you'd just get the SWAT team called on you.

At my neighboring middle school(high school, and middle school are like inches apart), 12 users were caught using heroin, sure they didn't do anything to harm anyone else, but they did have the SWAT team come in. A few minutes later, at least 20 men armed in bullet proof shields lined up and arrested them. If that's 12/600, and didn't prove anything, I'm sure hundreds/millions isn't going to change much either.

This will gain no traction until then. Furthermore, rather than going after the National Government (for Americans), why not hit your state governments? As states start decriminalizing (there's quite a few now, like 10 or so), others will follow. Set the standard, be the example...

There's just that problem that, I'm pretty sure, any stat you go to in the Union, would deny this as a valid argument. And you'd end up on the 5 o' clock news.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Tbh magekillr, i'm not sure what youre suggesting. To stop using it and wait it to get legalized that way?

you need to reduce arrests and take away the amount of money brought in from throwing people in jail to get things done.
Money is brought in when someone goes to jail? how?

Sure, they can't arrest everyone...But the fact that you are asking for hundreds of people to start smoking just to prove a point is well, not going to prove anything. You'd either have multiple people backing down, knowing you don't have nearly enough people to revolutionize the way pot is seen. Or you'd just get the SWAT team called on you.

But in U.S. alone, there are millions (literally) smoking marijuana* Nobody would have to start smoking for that, so many people are already doing it. Even if small percentage of those people would show up to the protests, say 600,000. Even swat team couldn't do anything about that. Law is really only a word. I say broke it. Viva la revolucion!

But he was talking about why isn't it socially acceptable to be in ones house, lighting up a joint, and not going to jail. Sure I suppose that's OK. But in reality, we all know that's not what happens every time.

Now youre going in circles. Ofcourse thats not what happens every time. Not every time someone decides to buy a gun he will only shoot squirrels with it. Not every time someone decides to buy junk food will he eat it in sensible manners, no sometimes he will eat too much junk food and end up weigning 200kgs and dieng off a heath failure. Or maybe someone decides to buy herself a new shiny high heels and then decides to drive with having them on! What happens? A car accident! But high heels aren't illegal get it?

*A recent government survey showed:

Marijuana is the most frequently used illegal drug in the United States. Over 83 million Americans over the age of 12 have tried marijuana at least once.

Over 12 million had used the drug in the month before the survey.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

But in U.S. alone, there are millions (literally) smoking marijuana* Nobody would have to start smoking for that, so many people are already doing it. Even if small percentage of those people would show up to the protests, say 600,000. Even swat team couldn't do anything about that. Law is really only a word. I say broke it. Viva la revolucion!

But getting 600,000 people to even consider that, is well, insane. And I'm sure it wouldn't just be a "peaceful" riot. It'd be like the gay parades, there's always at least one basher. From there

violence could set in, and military, police, swat, you name it forces would be set in to keep the peace. And no doubt if something, even a protest with 600,000 people, probably in D.C or state capital, marshal law would be set in.

Now youre going in circles. Ofcourse thats not what happens every time. Not every time someone decides to buy a gun he will only shoot squirrels with it. Not every time someone decides to buy junk food will he eat it in sensible manners, no sometimes he will eat too much junk food and end up weigning 200kgs and dieng off a heath failure. Or maybe someone decides to buy herself a new shiny high heels and then decides to drive with having them on! What happens? A car accident! But high heels aren't illegal get it?[/quote

But owning guns, and eating food, all those are legal. You can't expect millions of people to own marijuana, and no one dying as a second effect. I've already shown you the statistics of people illegally driving while consuming alcohol. Needless to say the number of users who've used marijuana and driven would increase this number exponentially. The right to bear arms, in the United States, is extremely different, because you can't take this right away. People need or want guns for self defense, or recreational purposes. Back when the constitution was writen, there couldn't have nearly been the same amount of murderers, etc. But the some 80,000 people that die due to firearms in the United States over the course of two years, over half of which were suicides and attempted suicides. Food-You literally need it to survive, which flaws your analogy. Of course you have people that eat for fun and such, but the benefits outweigh the risks, unlike marijuana.

*A recent government survey showed:

Marijuana is the most frequently used illegal drug in the United States. Over 83 million Americans over the age of 12 have tried marijuana at least once.

Over 12 million had used the drug in the month before the survey.

At least once, so you're also showing me the number of users who would be most likely to start this drug is legalized. This only furthers my point, that the millions that die because of drinking and driving a year, would now increase because of people now, smoking and driving.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

There's just that problem that, I'm pretty sure, any stat you go to in the Union, would deny this as a valid argument. And you'd end up on the 5 o' clock news.

What are you talking about? I'd end up on the news to try and begin change from the group up by talking to state politicians rather than national ones? Well maybe I would, but not for the reasons you're implying.

Tbh magekillr, i'm not sure what youre suggesting. To stop using it and wait it to get legalized that way?

I'm saying you need to broaden the scope of larger ideas in general rather than tackling this as one issue and one issue alone. It won't get you anywhere.

Money is brought in when someone goes to jail? how?

You're forgetting who owns this country: corporations.

But marijuana doesn't just come with "perfect" users. You have to get those drivers, or those lunes who just lose it. You can't have both. Sorry. I don't know anything about Amsterdam, or have anything to back up anything I say, or you say, so I'll refrain from saying anything.

Lets ban food because people eat it while driving and cause accidents.

As stated earlier nothing has 'perfect users'.

I'd be up for banning Iphones for that reason. As well as many other things. Books, makeup, magazines, food, etc.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

What are you talking about? I'd end up on the news to try and begin change from the group up by talking to state politicians rather than national ones? Well maybe I would, but not for the reasons you're implying.

I'm saying no state, at the moment would be crazy enough to legalize the stuff. There just that big problem of all the people that want to smoke the stuff move into that state. Which leads to the need of more public housing, police officers, any kind of building really. That city would have higher levels of poverty, homeless people, the list goes on. You can't just have one state.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

There're so many carcinogens, there's many in tobacco as well and the government's trying to make people stop using that too...

Personally I don't have a problem with it. No I don't smoke it. It's nothing special.

The main reason it'll never be legalized is that...well when one's high on pot one tends to do stupid or dangerous things in public. That and there's no way to mandate what you cut the stuff with so you can get all sorts of unwanted side effects :(

I'm saying no state, at the moment would be crazy enough to legalize the stuff. There just that big problem of all the people that want to smoke the stuff move into that state. Which leads to the need of more public housing, police officers, any kind of building really. That city would have higher levels of poverty, homeless people, the list goes on. You can't just have one state.

I said nothing of the sort as far as legalizing. I said decriminalizing and medicinal.

Medical: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map- ... a-laws.png

Decriminalized for illicit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map- ... -laws2.svg

No state is crazy enough huh? Even if you want to talk about full blown legalization, Alaska is getting close. It's been getting shot down by mid-50s and early 60's votes...so +5-10 more votes for legalization and it'll be legal there.

I said nothing of the sort as far as legalizing. I said decriminalizing and medicinal.

Decriminalized for illicit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map- ... -laws2.svg

No state is crazy enough huh? Even if you want to talk about full blown legalization, Alaska is getting close. It's been getting shot down by mid-50s and early 60's votes...so +5-10 more votes for legalization and it'll be legal there.

Medically or recreational?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Recreational, medical is already legal there.

On November 2, 2004, voters in Alaska rejected Measure 2 by 44-56 percent. Measure 2 would prompt the state legislature to tax and regulate marijuana, and would have removed criminal penalties for marijuana use by adults aged 21 and older

Nevada and Colorado are two other states, however, theirs keep getting rejected by like 60-40 margins.

Recreational, medical is already legal there.

On November 2, 2004, voters in Alaska rejected Measure 2 by 44-56 percent. Measure 2 would prompt the state legislature to tax and regulate marijuana, and would have removed criminal penalties for marijuana use by adults aged 21 and older

Nevada and Colorado are two other states, however, theirs keep getting rejected by like 60-40 margins.

Not that I know anything about it, but I still have my doubts that it will ever become fully legal. :shame:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

But owning guns, and eating food, all those are legal. You can't expect millions of people to own marijuana, and no one dying as a second effect. I've already shown you the statistics of people illegally driving while consuming alcohol. Needless to say the number of users who've used marijuana and driven would increase this number exponentially. The right to bear arms, in the United States, is extremely different, because you can't take this right away. People need or want guns for self defense, or recreational purposes. Back when the constitution was writen, there couldn't have nearly been the same amount of murderers, etc. But the some 80,000 people that die due to firearms in the United States over the course of two years, over half of which were suicides and attempted suicides. Food-You literally need it to survive, which flaws your analogy. Of course you have people that eat for fun and such, but the benefits outweigh the risks, unlike marijuana.

Circles but whatever..

I'd put junk food in the same gategory with marijuana. Both are not something we really need. Both have risks. I don't want junk food to be illegal just because it's bad for the society. I want people to be free to choose, no matter how stupid they might be or how wrong decisions they might make for themselves. How much does it cost for a country to have overweight people with illesses such as diabetes? It can't be cheap.

Only valid argument against marijuana in this thread is that some people would propably drive doped. It's true, there are always some stupid [bleep]s who don't care about other people or just are too stupid to understand basic things. But thats how it is with everything.

Guns. Guns I wouldn't really put into same gategory with marijuana or junk food, they are relatively harmless compared to guns. It's really funny how you can defend right to own guns and not the right to smoke or eat some plant? Guns are made to be harmfull and thats what they are. Not talking about hunting guns or anything like that. Isn't it true you can relatively easily buy handgun or even an uzi in U.S.? Compare the dangers some random idiot can do with a gun thats made for killing and the dangers some random idiot can do with a flower.

Edit: What i'm trying to say is the right to choose for yourself is more important than the few car crashes it would propably induce.

Junk food does not cause flawed vision, dizziness, etc, etc. Which is the big deal. It's the side effects of the "flower" that kills innocent people, not the "flower" itself.

People drive doped, yeah, and would kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people a year, in the United States alone. I can't even tell you the millions that would die in the world as a whole.

I defend the rights to own guns, as they can be used in self defense for some good. What good does some silly drug do? Make some silly teen feel good?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I sincerely doupt the marijuana related car accidents would occur more than alcohol related ones.

I defend the rights to own guns, as they can be used in self defense for some good. What good does some silly drug do? Make some silly teen feel good?

What marijuana does (or so I have heard, never used myself) is it makes you relaxed. It makes you feel good. Why does it have to do something more? If it makes you feel good, isn't it the best thing in the world? The best things make you feel good.

Lets again do a little comparisation. Guns = kill people. Weed = makes people feel good. Seriously how can it be that hard to understand which one is the devil? I think anything that is created just solely on the purpose of killing people can't do any good. Self defense? yeah, keep telling yourself that. But it doesn't change the fact that this self defense weapon of yours can as easily be used for attacking. Or killing tens of your fellow students. Yeah, you just have to have guns.

I sincerely doupt the marijuana related car accidents would occur more than alcohol related ones.

What marijuana does (or so I have heard, never used myself) is it makes you relaxed. It makes you feel good. Why does it have to do something more? If it makes you feel good, isn't it the best thing in the world? The best things make you feel good.

Lets again do a little comparisation. Guns = kill people. Weed = makes people feel good. Seriously how can it be that hard to understand which one is the devil? I think anything that is created just solely on the purpose of killing people can't do any good. Self defense? yeah, keep telling yourself that. But it doesn't change the fact that this self defense weapon of yours can as easily be used for attacking. Or killing tens of your fellow students. Yeah, you just have to have guns.

Which bring me back to the point that you never have "perfect users". There will be numbers in the millions of people dying because of DUI's from Marijuana. Yeah, guns can and will be used for attacking, but they can bring some good. If guns were to not exist, then things would be all fine and dandy. But if made illegal, only those looking to kill would have them. And those who abide by the law would have no way to defend themselves. You can't take back something you already know unfortunately. So we balance this by making it legal to own a gun.

However marijuana only makes people feel good, which is great. if that was the only thing it did, everything would be great. But look at this(I'm sure you don't want to read the entire thing, as I wouldn't either, but I underlined my point):

How does marijuana affect driving?

Marijuana affects many skills required for safe driving: alertness, the ability to concentrate, coordination, and reaction time. These effects can last up to 24 hours after smoking marijuana. Marijuana use can make it difficult to judge distances and react to signals and sounds on the road.

There are data showing that marijuana can play a role in crashes. When users combine marijuana with alcohol, as they often do, the hazards of driving can be more severe than with either drug alone.

Symptoms

If someone is high on marijuana, he or she might:

* Seem dizzy and have trouble walking

* Seem silly and giggly for no reason

* Have very red, bloodshot eyes

* Have a hard time remembering things that just happened

* When the early effects fade, over a few hours, the user can become very sleepy

The effects of marijuana on each person depend on the type of cannabis and how much THC it contains; way the drug is taken (by smoking or eating); experience and expectations of the user; setting where the drug is used; and whether drinking or other drug use is also going on. Some people feel nothing at all when they first try marijuana. Others may feel high (intoxicated and/or euphoric).

It's common for marijuana users to become engrossed with ordinary sights, sounds, or tastes, and trivial events may seem extremely interesting or funny. Time seems to pass very slowly, so minutes feel like hours. Sometimes the drug causes users to feel thirsty and very hungryan effect called "the munchies."

Regarding children, parents should be aware of changes in their child's behavior, although this may be difficult with teenagers. Parents should look for withdrawal, depression, fatigue, carelessness with grooming, hostility, and deteriorating relationships with family members and friends. In addition, changes in academic performance, increased absenteeism or truancy, lost interest in sports or other favorite activities, and changes in eating or sleeping habits could be related to drug use. However, these signs may also indicate problems other than use of drugs.

In addition, parents should be aware of:

* Signs of drugs and drug paraphernalia, including pipes and rolling papers

* Odor on clothes and in the bedroom

* Use of incense and other deodorizers

* Use of eye drops

* Clothing, posters, jewelry, etc., promoting drug use

Side Effects

Short-term effects:

* Problems with memory and learning

* Distorted perception

* Difficulty in thinking and problem solving

* Loss of coordination

* Increased heart rate

* Anxiety

* Panic attacks

* Daily cough and phlegm

* Symptoms of chronic bronchitis

* More frequent chest colds

Long-term effects:

* Abnormal functioning of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke

* Impairment of critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning

* Recent findings indicate that smoking marijuana while shooting up cocaine has the potential to cause severe increases in heart rate and blood pressure.

Causes

The main active chemical in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). In 1988, it was discovered that the membranes of certain nerve cells contain protein receptors that bind THC. Once securely in place, THC kicks off a series of cellular reactions that lead to the high that users experience when they smoke marijuana.

Marijuana is addicting because it causes compulsive, uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences. Over 120,000 people enter treatment per year for their primary marijuana addiction. In addition, animal studies suggest marijuana causes physical dependence, and some people report withdrawal symptoms. Children and young teens start using marijuana for many reasons. Curiosity and the desire to fit into a social group are common reasons. Certainly, youngsters who have already begun to smoke cigarettes and/or use alcohol are at high risk for marijuana use.

-Medicine.net.

So as you can see, it has other sideeffects which can cause the user to harm other people, innocent people. There's just to much to lose to legalize some drug to make some teenager feel good.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

* Recent findings indicate that smoking marijuana while shooting up cocaine has the potential to cause severe increases in heart rate and blood pressure.

I know I'm not really contributing to the discussion but seriously, if you are shooting cocaine and smoking pot at the same time, it's no wonder you are gonna get increased blood pressure. Get findings that state with marijuana alone, heart rate increases.

I know I'm not really contributing to the discussion but seriously, if you are shooting cocaine and smoking pot at the same time, it's no wonder you are gonna get increased blood pressure. Get findings that state with marijuana alone, heart rate increases.

* Increased heart rate
hopesolopatriot.jpg

[hide=quotes]

* Increased heart rate
[/hide]

If that's the game we're playing, then ok

*cocaine

* Increased heart rate

If that's the game we're playing, then ok

*cocaine

You must have missed it then:

* Problems with memory and learning

* Distorted perception

* Difficulty in thinking and problem solving

* Loss of coordination

* Increased heart rate

* Anxiety

* Panic attacks

* Daily cough and phlegm

* Symptoms of chronic bronchitis

* More frequent chest colds

The cocaine part was for severe heart rate increases.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Which bring me back to the point that you never have "perfect users". There will be numbers in the millions of people dying because of DUI's from Marijuana. Yeah, guns can and will be used for attacking, but they can bring some good. If guns were to not exist, then things would be all fine and dandy. But if made illegal, only those looking to kill would have them. And those who abide by the law would have no way to defend themselves. You can't take back something you already know unfortunately. So we balance this by making it legal to own a gun.

So make it illegal to smoke and drive. Simple solution to "millions" of deaths.

So make it illegal to smoke and drive. Simple solution to "millions" of deaths.

Why don't we do the same with alcohol! :roll:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Junk food does not cause flawed vision, dizziness, etc, etc. Which is the big deal. It's the side effects of the "flower" that kills innocent people, not the "flower" itself.

Technically, junk food can cause flawed vision. Ever heard of diabetic retinopathy? While diabetes is a hereditary condition in some cases, you can get it from not eating properly (i.e. too much sugar, causing the pancreas to overload and stop creating insulin). And since diabetic retinopathy can cause issues with the eyes and vision, your statement is, in all technicality, false.

As for the whole debate, it would be nice if this country would legalize it in some way, but it really won't happen, mainly because alot of people have been fed a bunch of anti-marijuana propaganda by the government. Although there are some tobacco companies that are pretty much ready to grow marijuana if it does get legalized.

Also, that whole thing about being stoned and driving is completely stupid. Anyone that irresponsible to go get high and drive are already drinking and driving. It's the same stupid mindset "I drive better in that condition". No you don't, you just have illusions of superiority. They also have extremelystrict laws against drinking and driving. They would probably extend those same laws to include weed if it were legalized.

So yeah... it's no use beating a dead horse. This debate has been going on for a few decades, and unless this debate is brought into the public, rather than just a handful of online places, it won't get done.

I know I'm going around in circles, it's mainly because that's the way my brain goes. It has nothing to do with anything I may or may not have done in the past, it's the fact that my mind naturally moves around in circles really really fast. In cases like this, I just type out whatever it is I'm thinking in the most acceptable way possible.

Technically, junk food can cause flawed vision. Ever heard of diabetic retinopathy? While diabetes is a hereditary condition in some cases, you can get it from not eating properly (i.e. too much sugar, causing the pancreas to overload and stop creating insulin). And since diabetic retinopathy can cause issues with the eyes and vision, your statement is, in all technicality, false.

Yes, I have heard of it.

But you don't get it from eating just a serving of junk food. That's seriously pushing it. -.-

As for the whole debate, it would be nice if this country would legalize it in some way, but it really won't happen, mainly because alot of people have been fed a bunch of anti-marijuana propaganda by the government. Although there are some tobacco companies that are pretty much ready to grow marijuana if it does get legalized.

Pretty much.

Also, that whole thing about being stoned and driving is completely stupid. Anyone that irresponsible to go get high and drive are already drinking and driving. It's the same stupid mindset "I drive better in that condition". No you don't, you just have illusions of superiority. They also have extremelystrict laws against drinking and driving. They would probably extend those same laws to include weed if it were legalized.

Exactly, so most of them already consume alcohol. Ever taken diet coke and mentos? Now try it alcohol and marijuana. They have extremely strict laws sure, but that doesn't stop 1.8 million people dying, in just a year caused by alcoholic related motor accidents. Make marijuana legal, and that number rises exponentially.

So yeah... it's no use beating a dead horse. This debate has been going on for a few decades, and unless this debate is brought into the public, rather than just a handful of online places, it won't get done.

I couldn't agree more. And this whole "make marijuana legal" thing is so off topic.

Sigh... -.-

hopesolopatriot.jpg