Medical Marijuana

user1991

Considering normal marijuana use is probably not gonna be legalised anywhere in the near future - what are your opinions on marijuana for medical use?

I think it should be legal, personally. It has been shown to have various medical properties - it would be one of the safer drugs out there when you take into account all the stuff big pharma pumps into the system. Don't forget, that it doesn't have to be smoked. So the whole argument about lung cancer is not all encompassing, when you consider the fact that you don't even have to use it that way.

I know there are synthetic versions of THC (the active chemical in marijuana), but still, it all comes down to a question of choice. You generally decide which medication you take, with advice from your doctor, and if one doesn't work, you have the freedom to move onto a different one (again, with approval of a medical professional). I don't live in the US, but I've followed the medical marijuana program there closely considering American acceptance of weed would do a lot for our ignorance over here in Britain. Doctors are actually advising aids patients and such that marijuana may help them, and some states have voted to allow this, yet the federal government continues to prosecute those who use it even with advice from a medical expert. Kinda ridiculous, when you think about it.

Your opinions?

Hey.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definably think medical marijuana should be allowed, because the more people accept it, the closer we'll get to get the whole thing legalized.

It's much safer then cigarettes or drinking, ban those instead.

I definably think medical marijuana should be allowed, because the more people accept it, the closer we'll get to get the whole thing legalized.

They'll never be illegal.

Well, smoking cigs MIGHT, well not really. Kinda.

Alcohol, no way. Ever, ever.

I think weed should be legal anyway, but we're a long way off from that. Medically though, I can see it happening. One thing, how do we go about attaining such status?

Hey.

depends what you drink though. Bleach anyone?

on topic: if its solely for MEDICAL use only then yes i think it should be legalised, but if its for some pot-head 15yo look for an excuse i hope my ban-hammer finds you.

as for smoking ciggarettes, in australia were making it close to being banned to smoke in public and for anyone under 18 to both obtain and smoke. pity were craking down on this rather then 13yo teens getting drunk and pregnant. O.o

Popoto.~<3

depends what you drink though. Bleach anyone?

on topic: if its solely for MEDICAL use only then yes i think it should be legalised, but if its for some pot-head 15yo look for an excuse i hope my ban-hammer finds you.

as for smoking ciggarettes, in australia were making it close to being banned to smoke in public and for anyone under 18 to both obtain and smoke. pity were craking down on this rather then 13yo teens getting drunk and pregnant. O.o

Woah woah, who said anything about 15 year old potheads?

Hey, if they require it, they should get it. It doesn't have to be smoked either.

Also, a doctor has to approve you. You can't just make up some disease, they have to have tests and stuff.

Hey.

Of course it should be legal. It's not nearly as harmful as commercials try to give us the impression of. It can actually be pretty beneficial when it comes to health problems. It has been known to help with problems dealing with appetite, pain, sleep, and stress.

My dad's friend had tourettes(sp) and they were at the bar, he said after one joint the guy wasn't shaking at all. He smokes pot regularly and it helps him cope with it.

Also helps when people cant eat or something from sickness.

I say it should be cheaper for medicinal use, and legal.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

:|

No question it should be legalized, for medical, and non medical use. The question is.. Why isn't it legalized yet? Things like these make me hate the world.. The idiotism of the majority and rulers.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Why do all "potheads" seem to have a grudge against tobacco and booze? Shouldn't they argue for the freedom to use what we wish as long as we don't interfere/harm other people's lives? (I say "potheads", refering to the 15 year old stereotype)

I haven't really seen any convincing studies to show the medical value in marijuana, but I think that is due to the fact that it is hard to research because it's illegal. Research would be a lot easier with legalization.

The government gets way too much money from taxing those, they'll never ban them. Here in Ontario, they made it mandatory that in small stores you can't have cigarettes open for people to see behind the counter. So store owners had to cover them up with stuff. The governmenet is making it look like they are trying, but they will NEVER ban cigarettes.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

I don't think you guys are seeing the entire picture. Medical Marijuana is already legal in twelve states, if not more. Marijuana for recreational purposes will never become legal. Why? The risks out ways the benefits. Then why isn't alcohol illegal? Cigarettes? The were established before democracy's were founded, and before evidence linked to health hazards on such a large scale as it is today. They have been sown into the economy. To be honest, they should just make both of these drugs illegal. And the only thing that is keeping them legal is well paid lobbyists, and economic factors.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Until the government can control and tax the druglords, it ain't gonna be legal.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't think you guys are seeing the entire picture. Medical Marijuana is already legal in twelve states, if not more. Marijuana for recreational purposes will never become legal. Why? The risks out ways the benefits. Then why isn't alcohol illegal? Cigarettes? The were established before democracy's were founded, and before evidence linked to health hazards on such a large scale as it is today. They have been sown into the economy. To be honest, they should just make both of these drugs illegal. And the only thing that is keeping them legal is well paid lobbyists, and economic factors.

And the patriotic ideal of freedom. Cigarettes came around in the late 1800s; democracy was founded in the US before cigarettes. They are "sown into the economy" because people want them; basic supply and demand. Lobbyists don't tell people to smoke cigarettes, people make that decision.

Until the government can control and tax the druglords, it ain't gonna be legal.

They could make it legal then throw all the druglords in jail for tax evasion :thumbsup:

And the patriotic ideal of freedom. Cigarettes came around in the late 1800s; democracy was founded in the US before cigarettes. They are "sown into the economy" because people want them; basic supply and demand. Lobbyists don't tell people to smoke cigarettes,

Tobacco in general was here long before the Revolutionary War.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

Just like any other small pain killer like Advil, Tylenol, Aspirin, Motrin, etc....its just something to cover up your problems and pain. I don't approve of it, but its better then using it recreationally and used by kids underage.

The real reason it won't become legalized for recreational purposes is the US can't tax it and can't regulate it plain and simple. Therefore, until they can....it won't be legal recreational wise.

EDIT: Just saw my last point was already covered.....still its true.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

The real reason it won't become legalized for recreational purposes is the US can't tax it and can't regulate it plain and simple. Therefore, until they can....it won't be legal recreational wise.

This is something I don't get. So many think like this but to me it doesn't sound logical at all. Surely it could be legalized even without taxing? Would it lead into economical catastrophe? The country (any country which it is illegal in) is already losing money because of it (inprisoning people for owning it), but it wont stop people from using it.They could just tax it and ofcourse there would be people just growing their own weed and it would reduce the tax income from it, but at the time the tax income from it is 0. Or below that (prisoners). So it coudn't possibly be worse.

The whole thing just doesnt make sense.

I think the real reason is that people are scared of the bad social influenses. All the propaganda has did its work all too well. Albeit, Some those influenses could be true, not denying that.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

And the patriotic ideal of freedom. Cigarettes came around in the late 1800s; democracy was founded in the US before cigarettes.

Tobacco, was here long before the 1800's. :|

Lobbyists don't tell people to smoke cigarettes, people make that decision.

Do you know what a lobbyist is?

Lobbying includes all attempts to influence legislators and officials, whether by other legislators, constituents or organized groups. Governments often define and regulate organized group lobbying.

So, no, lobbyists don't but they sure persuade legislation to vote against putting more ads up against smoking, making smoking in movies illegal, etc.

They are "sown into the economy" because people want them; basic supply and demand.

Supply and demand has little to do with the fact that they are legal. I'm sure Marijuana has a much greater demand than its supply, and what do ya know, it's illegal. People want them sure, in fact, millions of people do, maybe even climbing to the billions. But that's only because it wasn't made illegal in the first place. Billions upon billions of dollars has been dumped into tobacco products,and if that all went away, we are looking at a hurt economy. It just needs to be highly taxed, and have a similar solution as gasoline, high prices, until people realize, it's not only bad for them/the environment, but hurtful to their wallets.

The problem with MJ becoming legal, is that it leads to social decay. People striving to get it, and then OD'ing, leading to "premature deaths". What's the point in it becoming legal? So you can get a "high", feel good? There's plenty of legal ways to do that, even ways costing less.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Just move to Alaska, it's legal to posess small amounts of marijuana even if it's not for medical use. I have some relatives that come down here to Wisconsin to visit every 5 years or so and everytime they're here, they just light up a joint in public because no one cares about it in Alaska. We always have to yell at them and tell them to stop it. And by the way, these people are over 40 years old, not some young party group of kids.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The problem with MJ becoming legal, is that it leads to social decay. People striving to get it, and then OD'ing, leading to "premature deaths". What's the point in it becoming legal? So you can get a "high", feel good? There's plenty of legal ways to do that, even ways costing less.

Sorry but that statement alone shows that you don't really have a good understanding of the drug. You can't OD and die from marijuana.

Medical marijuana is allowed (Atleast in MA)... Or my friend-sence-birth is apperently getting illegaly from his doctor... At one of the biggest hospitals in the state... I'm don't have a clue what my friends condistion is, but he gets very pissed off very easy and freaks out if he doesn't have his medication (marijuana).

If I'm not mistaken isn't it used to help people with cancer to easy there physical pain?

And the patriotic ideal of freedom. Cigarettes came around in the late 1800s; democracy was founded in the US before cigarettes.

Tobacco, was here long before the 1800's. :|

I thought we were talking about cigarettes. Tobaccoo has been used in nonconsumer ways for thousands of years.

Lobbyists don't tell people to smoke cigarettes, people make that decision.

Do you know what a lobbyist is?

Lobbying includes all attempts to influence legislators and officials, whether by other legislators, constituents or organized groups. Governments often define and regulate organized group lobbying.

So, no, lobbyists don't but they sure persuade legislation to vote against putting more ads up against smoking, making smoking in movies illegal, etc.

I think you missed the point, but, yes, no one likes lobbyists.

They are "sown into the economy" because people want them; basic supply and demand.

Supply and demand has little to do with the fact that they are legal. I'm sure Marijuana has a much greater demand than its supply, and what do ya know, it's illegal. People want them sure, in fact, millions of people do, maybe even climbing to the billions. But that's only because it wasn't made illegal in the first place. Billions upon billions of dollars has been dumped into tobacco products,and if that all went away, we are looking at a hurt economy. It just needs to be highly taxed, and have a similar solution as gasoline, high prices, until people realize, it's not only bad for them/the environment, but hurtful to their wallets.

My supply and demand statement was refering to what keeps cigarettes and alcohol legal, not what made them legal.

Just a helpful hint: don't listen to anti-drug/smoking ads on television, they are purely propaganda. Smoking marijuana does not make a person forget to pick up their little brother from soccer practice; it is the person's fault for being irresponsible.

Sorry but that statement alone shows that you don't really have a good understanding of the drug. You can't OD and die from marijuana.

So if I take 10kg of marijuana, and smoke/inhale it within an hour, I won't die? From lack of oxygen, or just from the drug itself? :|

Just a helpful hint: don't listen to anti-drug/smoking ads on television, they are purely propaganda. Smoking marijuana does not make a person forget to pick up their little brother from soccer practice; it is the person's fault for being irresponsible.

I guess not, but I know enough about the drug, that I wouldn't consider taking it.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Marijuana I think should be as legal as Alcohol or Cigarettes, even more so than Cigarettes. It really comes down to what the government sees as socially acceptable, couple of people relaxing in a park while high or some mid-20s people fighting outside a pub while drunk? :wall:

What's the point in it becoming legal? So you can get a "high", feel good? There's plenty of legal ways to do that, even ways costing less.

Best post in this thread so far.

Who says it has to be a death from the plant itself? What about a death from the effects of the drug? Impaired while driving? And don't tell me you don't get impaired when taking the drug thats [cabbage]. Its ironic that one of the field sobriety tests given by law enforcement is the same for both Alcohol and Marijuana.

Smoking weed may sound cleaner because you don't get tobacco, but you still are getting Carbon monoxide, Carcinogens, AND Hydrogen cyanide which are all contained in the smoke burned from anything. Sounds yummy.

It effects you though most hippies fail to realize it. It slows reaction times, much like alcohol and could easily lead to death by other means.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Of course there are marijuana related deaths. For goodness sakes, there are pen cap related deaths. That's not what we were talking about though. She said you can OD and die from marijuana and that just goes to show that she needs to do some more research before making judgments like that.

I'm not trying to advertise the drug to anyone. If you don't want to do it, I'm perfectly fine with that. But when you come on here and tell us false things to make it look worse than it really is then that's just propaganda.

What's the point in it becoming legal? So you can get a "high", feel good? There's plenty of legal ways to do that, even ways costing less.

Yeah let's make video games illegal too since kids have been known to become addicted to video games and even kill other people over consoles. There are video game related deaths and you have to pay money to play so they should be illegal too...