Pagan Reference In Runescape?

zdavenz

Obviously, Runescape suggests polytheism. There's really not much to debate on that point.

3zh5ap4.jpg

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man sleepy and blind in the eyes.

Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!

If it's the thought that counts, why aren't humans innately telepathic?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, Runescape suggests polytheism. There's really not much to debate on that point.

There's nothing else TO debate. Guess this is the end of this thread. :cry:

For those who didnt read the whole thread,

RUNESCAPE = LOTS OF GODS

I have not had a post locked since: July 17th, 2008. \:D/

Attempts at Beating GH3 on Expert: 16 and counting \:D/

Check out my new RuneScape-Only Forum at http://www.runeforum.moonfruit.com There's not a single mod there! Be in the first 100 to join! It's Free! OMG OMG OMG!! Lol, seriously there are no mods at all.

zdavenz.png

86/99 Fletching. The siggy lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It's not pagan, Frank. Everyone's wearing clothes.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

ahahaha it's just a game. You can role-play your character however you want. You can have your character worship one god or another if you wish, but the game should have no impact on real life, where you can also have whatever religious beliefs or lack thereof that you want.

Some people may think that it is silly that others believe in a god that created the world, but they probably think that it is silly that others believe that the world was created from nothing in the big bang. Now for some actual argument, if you say that the universe must be created by something and you call that something a god, then what created the god? Is it just infinite? In that case, why can't you just say that the universe is infinite? I'm going to have to side with the atheists because for science, it seems, not knowing something is the beginning of the search for knowledge. For religion, it is the end. Now something for the religious people out there: religion may have started wars, but science ended them, such as with the atomic bomb. So don't use that argument.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

Tbh, they had 3 gods not for a real religious reasons, but for more fun and games.

I mean who wants to play Castle Wars when there is only one castle, one team, and one flag?

With 3 gods you can have, bad vs good vs neutral.

I'm sure there are more examples of how RS would be really dull if it weren't for the 3 RS gods.

08sig.png

Yes, it's Pagan. So are many other games. It doesn't mean you are Pagan if you play it though, unless you start praying to Zamorak irl :P
Personally, I worship Saradomin in IRL. No different from praying to "Jesus". Some prayers get answered, some don't.

Me, I worship Guthix IRL. Always take the middle path, never either of the two extrememes.

kwarlord.png

"Hey, I can't help it if I was born this cool." Adell, Disgaea 2

Yes, it's Pagan. So are many other games. It doesn't mean you are Pagan if you play it though, unless you start praying to Zamorak irl :P
Personally, I worship Saradomin in IRL. No different from praying to "Jesus". Some prayers get answered, some don't.

Me, I worship Guthix IRL. Always take the middle path, never either of the two extrememes.

"...never either of the two extrememes"

A godly Satanist? :|

Check out my new RuneScape-Only Forum at http://www.runeforum.moonfruit.com There's not a single mod there! Be in the first 100 to join! It's Free! OMG OMG OMG!! Lol, seriously there are no mods at all.

zdavenz.png

What I find is interesting is that the Egyptians worshiped cats and they gave yearly human sacrifices to the Nile. Just thoughts from someone living in the 21st century reflecting on the past with the wisdom of knowing that one's race was once full of fools and it can happen again.

...How is worshiping a cat or giving human sacrifices any more foolish than worshiping a man who claim's he was born from a virgin and is the son of a god?

As far as how Paganism is defined, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism. Read that. Apparently both sides are right. Paganism did originally mean a certain kind of religion, but eventually people began using it as anyone not a Christian, which is kind of stupid imo, but whatever. Oh well, whats so bad about paganism?

It's not really paganistic. Paganism is to do with nature and gods commanding each element of and it and ritual sacrifice etc.

The runescape gods don't really reflect these qualities

If anything saradomin and guthix reflect christinity (churches etc) and druidism most closely.

Its stupid to try and apply real world religion to rs though. EVERY good fantasy world has its own religions setup based on thier own rituals and gods, it is however inevitable certain features relfect reality. Why? because thats the frame of reference. If your making a holy building or a holy ritual yor are going to base it on what you see in the real world from religion whether that means it relfects pagan styles, christian churches, muslim mosques or w/e

The issue is everyone WANTS to classify these things in terms they know, as such they see these things and are like oh they aren't christian or muslim or budist or w/e. Then most people just think oh many gods = paganism and therefore decide everything that isn't one of the big modern religions regardless of it being a fantasy or not is paganism. When in reality paganism is far more defined than most modern religions and most, if not all of them have stolen pagan festivals for thier own celebrations eg christmas was a pagan festival originally

this last paragraph is very much true. (i'm not arguing with the rest you said either)

I'd also add that Christianity is the most biggoted, ignorant, hate-filled religions on the planet and a response such as "not christian= Pagan" doesn't surprise me one bit.

kwarlord.png

To my understanding, pagans are anything other than the followers of Christ. There have been alot of pagan religions started after Christianity. Are they not pagan?

by what you just said, you've just proved to everybody reading this what an ignorant fool you really are. :wall:

kwarlord.png

I'd also add that Christianity is the most biggoted, ignorant, hate-filled religions on the planet and a response such as "not christian= Pagan" doesn't surprise me one bit.

Oh, don't be so mean, they are just doing exactly what their preacher tells them to do. It's not their fault they were taught to let someone else tell them how to live.

/sarcasm

Kwarlord..... you just gained yourself a nice portion of WIN.

Oh, don't be so mean, they are just doing exactly what their preacher tells them to do. It's not their fault they were taught to let someone else tell them how to live.

/sarcasm

Kwarlord..... you just gained yourself a nice portion of WIN.

It's the word of god dude look it up. God help you all :pray:

zdavenz.png

It's the word of god dude look it up.

says the people who created it.

God help you all

Why? I don't really need help with anything at the moment.

Hope you enjoy your vacation in a crisp and hot place south of florida. =D>

zdavenz.png

Please make sure that there is no flaming in this topic.

I know religion is a sensitive topic for some, and any flaming will be removed and possibly punished.

Pryomancer.

Keep this in mind guys.

Yes im trying to convince a mod to lock down this thread now, so quit flaming! #-o

zdavenz.png

END FLAME WAR HERE.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, there are pagan references in the game. But there are a lot less now than there used to be. For example, I can't find any of those little pentagram wall decorations anymore, but then again I haven't really been looking. But does it really matter? I don't care that there are little pagan thinggys every now and then. It's just a game after all and I personally don't see why anyone would take it seriously. It's really not a big deal.

Yes, there are pagan references in the game. But there are a lot less now than there used to be. For example, I can't find any of those little pentagram wall decorations anymore, but then again I haven't really been looking. But does it really matter? I don't care that there are little pagan thinggys every now and then. It's just a game after all and I personally don't see why anyone would take it seriously. It's really not a big deal.

What he said. =D>

And besides...no one has yet to give me a reasonable answer as to what is wrong with paganism.

Pagan religions are technically any religion other than Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. So yes, it's a bit of an umbrella term.

which is why the rest of the world hates christianity.

kwarlord.png

Pagan religions are technically any religion other than Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. So yes, it's a bit of an umbrella term.

which is why the rest of the world hates christianity.

Actually a lot of the world loves Christianity, due to the fact that most Christians are polite.

While athiests are one of the most untrusted groups in the world.

08sig.png