Tip.it Times Article In Progress

Hawks

Are you in the Tip.it Times Article?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in the Tip.it Times Article?

• Yes
    • No, and I do not plan on being in it.
    • No, but I plan to be in it.

VALID ON OCT 18 ONLY!

Forum Feature ~ Falador Library

Foreword

Welcome to the Forum Feature!

This is a chance to get a behind the scenes look at a specific forum at Tip.it. This one is all about your one and only Falador Library, a forum filled with off-the-wall role-playing and fun.

Join as we take a tour through some of the insane things that happen in this forum. We'll start with a fictional story that gives you a little insight into the world of the role-players. It's a little strange, maybe, but the events that occur here are fun and more than worthy of your time. We will also hear a 'first-hand' experience of how Falador came about. Next is an interview, questions thought up by us of the Library... They might be a bit biased, but if you've got unanswered questions we'll cheerfully answer them. We've got a little group portrait to show you, and a surprise for you at the end.

So I hope you enjoy this once in a lifetime chance to see just a bit of how things go on behind the scenes here in the Falador Library. At the bottom, you will find a list of helpful links that will lead you to some useful topics for your future reading pleasure. Thank you for allowing us to showcase our own corner of TIF and we hope you enjoy all our hard work put into this production.

On behalf of the whole Falador Library, we hope you enjoy our Forum Feature!

Stumble - A Faladorian Story

[spoiler=Druther Long]The day was starting to end and the sun hit the horizon slowly and steadily. The woman ran around the streets holding wearing a helmet, easily about two sizes too big for her, and a long green trench coat. She was quite young, maybe in her middle twenties.

A bomb struck the building behind her like a fiery mass of destruction. She was thrown in the air; she fell on the floor and tried to run more; it was utter chaos on the ruined streets. Most of the buildings had been destroyed in one way or another, although there was one building that gleamed beautifully in the sunset. She couldnt seem to see it perfectly; the sun glared in her eyes not allowing her to see but she managed to walk inside.

Hello, the man said solemnly. He seemed old, about seventy, with fuzzy grey hair, and wore a suit of the same color. Under his suit he wore a bow tie and was dressed very well. The woman pulled off her large helmet and let it clatter to the floor to reveal long brown hair. She threw her trench coat in the corner and watched as it seemed to float for a bit.

Can I help you? the man asked.

Wheres Reldo? she asked.

Reldo was the librarian of the Varrock Library; he was much younger than this man.

This is the Falador Library, he said slowly.

The woman walked about and looked at the books. They were arranged randomly, and appeared unordered apart from a small alcove that read Rusco. She walked towards the alcove, picked up a red book, and started to look through it quickly, flicking through the pages. There was nothing in the book; just a blank book and then she blinked. She wasnt in the library; she was in a deserted house.

She was in a bedroom, but there was no bed, it was jet black but she could see small cracks of light beaming through the roof. She looked around and with a whoosh a playing card flew past her face. The Joker. It was a normal paper card but it was as hard as steel.

She waited for her eyes to adjust to light and there she saw a single glowing dot, the dot became larger to reveal an eye; and then again whoosh she felt a sharp pain right in her heart. She looked down to reveal another card, the Ace of Diamonds.

She felt more hit her and then her eyes closed slowly. She had died, or she was going to. She closed her eyes and she was back in the library, the book by her feet.She jolted backwards into the books behind her. The librarian stood right in front of her.

Where was I? she shouted at the man, terrified.

You were in Rusco he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Wha. the woman said slowly but quickly walked to another book.

She stood by the wall in the armoury, with a dagger in one hand and a katana in the other. The knight wore black armour and stood in front of her, his build large and his face covered by a black helmet; only his dark eyes were visible through the helmet and they seemed to pierce through the girl like a knife. He wielded a two handed sword in one hand and in the other hand a large spiked gauntlet. The sword crashed down on the other weapons in the room tipping them to the floor, bending and breaking them.

She dropped the dagger on the floor in fear but she held the katana very tightly. The two handed sword swooped right over her head nearly touching her but she managed to duck. Another swing of the sword hit her but she managed to catch the sword; it cut slowly into her hand. Then the librarian appeared wearing a clean black suit and finely trimmed black hair; he held two long meteor hammers in his hands and looked at the woman. Remember, you can do nearly anything here. The man turned around to reveal an army of knights like the one that she was fighting but they wore silver armour. He swung his hammers around and cracked their breastplates; then in an instant he swung an invisible wire through the people, a microscopic wire. He pulled and watched as all the knights fell to the floor.

Remember, anything. He then seemed to disappear in an explosion of black feathers, when they subsided he was gone.

The women looked at the knight and pulled two knives from behind her back, she hadnt noticed they were there, a magic satchel seemed to be behind her and she seemed to be able to withdraw most weapons from it. In an instant she took out another dagger and threw it into the slit between the helmet and its visor. The dark knight lifted off his helmet the reveal chain mail and then a face, with dark piercing eyes and black shaggy hair.

In an instant he held five long bayonets in each hand, they seemed to shine and glow with magical power. He threw them at the women but she managed to dodge them.

DIE SCUM! he shouted at the top of his voice, the room shook.

She swung the katana with all of her force at his head; he raised his gauntlet and the weapon shattered into a thousand pieces. She drew a flick knife and another sword. This time the dark knight grabbed the woman, lifted her into the air and pushed her against the wall. He took the sword out of her hand and went to drive it right through her heart, but she took the flick knife and drove it right into his forehead. He fell to the floor in searing pain.

The woman was once again inside the library; the librarian stood by the woman and asked, Why did you try so hard to get to the Varrock Library?

Overdue book, she replied honestly.

The man laughed and walked closer to the door of the library.

Oh yeah, youd better run, he said quite quickly and opened the door to the library.

Now! he said in a patronizing voice.

The women started to run and exactly where she stood a bomb hit

When the smoke cleared, the library had gone, or had it?

How we go about creating a role-play/other falador related story

I'm working on the 'classroom' angle.

An Interview with the Members of the Falador Library

[spoiler=Also Long]

Hi, and thanks for offering your time to tell us a little about the Falador Library.

archimage_a: Np, its what I am not paid to do.

Tylerelyt: No problem. Anything to drag more people into the evil wonderful land of Rusco.

hawkxs: Cool, I'll do what I can to show people how amazing the Fally Library really is.

hextriplet: What else would I waste that five minutes on? It's my holidays. Anyway, you're welcome for thanking me. I'll do nearly anything (don't get any ideas) to get more people into Falador Library.

How did you find out about the Library in the first place? What drove you to join it?

archimage_a: It all started years ago when I was in Varrock Library and there was a story called 'Smoke Eagle and Gaalsian' or something similar, which was my first experiance of roleplay. Because I was new I couldn't join it, but as I got better at writing I wanted to do one of my own, and so when the chance came up to moderate the new Falador Library I jumped at the chance.

hextriplet: Well... really, as soon as I created an account on Tip.it I looked for roleplaying as I've done it before on the RuneScape forums and I found it quite fun, I realised it was not there until I found Falador Library.... what could it be, maybe it was a meeting place for people within RuneScape. I didn't know, I slowly moved mouse over the text, it highlighted... I clicked! and then I realised that I had to register, I Pmed Archimage the rules written in my own words and hesitated at first to join a roleplay but I joined Project Desiral as soon as it started and it is really fun.

hawkxs: I was involved in the beginning and thought up a lot of the randomness that now makes up the Library, along with archimage_a and many others who have left, sadly. Since I was invovled in the beginning, I'm pretty much guaranteed to join it. It was finally a bit of role-playing in with the arts and literature in TIF.

Tylerelyt: I heard about in a Tip.It Times article about the more obscure parts of TIF, and I decided Rusco sounded amazing, so I joined. I have to say, it was more amazing than I thought it would be.

hawkxs: So it worked! (I wrote that article.)

Can you tell us a little bit about what happens in the Library?

Tylerelyt: A few fights. A few friendships. A little spying. A little mobstering. Some goblin slaying. Some robot slaying. Yeah. You get the picture. But mainly you get to join a very fun community in a community with some great people.

hawkxs: Pretty much craziness. If you spend a few minutes here, we're guaranteed to rub off on you. Role-playing happens, but also a lot of fun and interesting discussions. I think we might spend more time discussing rping than actually rping.

hextriplet: You roleplay, it's like telling a story but with many different writers, it's really fun to do because you're only effecting your character, its like being a story writer apart from less then half the work and one hundred times the fun.

archimage_a: Writing mainly, though we are branching out into video and recently into singing, though that might drive people away. =P

What's up with all of this story stuff? Why do you role-play that way?

hextriplet: Well, there are tons of ways of roleplaying, you can roleplay in games and on a tabletop with funny dice and complicated xp systems.... which is seen to most people as sad (depends whether they're wearing costumes). Well the thing with forum roleplaying is you can really do what you want in an RP it can be set in the future in the past, a million miles underground or thousands of leagues away in space. It can be set with an alternate history, you can do what you like. You're not held by the constraints of playing a game. The only limit is your imagination... and trust me, no-one here is short of that.

hawkxs: For us, in a forum-based setting, it's easiest to fudge the technical stuff and play it by ear. It's also easier and more fun and has seemed to work for us. Not that your traditional table-top RPG style with all sorts of stats and systems wouldn't work, it's just that we've chosen to stick with what people seem to like and what seems to work.

archimage_a: Story writing is fun, it gives you the chance to be creative when you are rubbish at art. Roleplay can be done anyway you like, I just do it this way because I enjoy it.

Tylerelyt: Is there another way to role-play? Honestly, I don't think it would be as fun if it were the D&D style role-playing, and it's nothing near as nerdy, and ten times more fun.

How did the idea come about?

archimage_a: There has been a constant demand for a roleplaying forum since I joined the forum, though usually it was too small and Varrock Library catered to the need. But in more recent times the demand has grown stronger, so when people asked Tip It obliged and I stepped up to moderate. It was really that simple.

hawkxs: I'm not really sure anymore, but it was the Forum Updates and Suggestions forum where the idea originated. We had a lot of support from the users and from a few mods as well.

What's your favorite Role-Play in the Library?

Tylerelyt: Rusco. Hands down.

hextriplet: Well.... it's the only RP I'm in: Project Desiral, it's really good. It mixes WW2 era with sci-fi.

archimage_a: Rusco.

hawkxs: The Lost Library was a very well thought out and fun one, but I have to say Rusco is the biggest and the best, just because of the way it works. Project Desiral is a really interesting one and is turning out to be pretty cool.

Got any crazy things happening right now?

Tylerelyt: There's always crazy stuff happening in this library. However, we have just passed through 300 years of time in a couple seconds in Rusco, and we're trying to figure out where the people came from.

hextriplet: Yeah... in Project Desiral I'm in prison... lol, archimage's character knocked me out and dragged me there, I need to find a way to escape.

hawkxs: Well, in Rusco, Archi is in an Inn and a couple of us are heading to meet him there. We're not really sure what the rest of the people are doing. Zeplo was recently restarted, and Project Desiral is going strong and is developing some interesting plot without much effort.

archimage_a: A list of sane things would probably be shorter. Hmmm, well I just agreed to sing a song and post in on the web, so that is probably the crazist thing so far, though not by much.

How do you go about joining the Library?

hextriplet: Well you first have to read the rules (This is to stop people not knowing how to rp when they join) and then send them in your own words to Archimage_a who'll review them and hopefully say yes :P Then post in discussion to tell everyone you're new. That way we'll know you're a new member of the Falador Library community.

Tylerelyt: First, you offer a lamb to the Black god of the Underworld. Then, you send the rules, with every word backwords but everything otherwise correct, to Archimage_a, who will either accept or decline, depending on how he feels.

hawkxs: There's a sticky that's listed later in the feature, but basically you PM Archi telling him you've read the rules and know them. (the rules are also linked to in the links section).

archimage_a: You read the rules, rewrite them in your own style and send them to me then I say yea come in.

Do you have anything in particular to tell the people of TIF about Falador?

hawkxs: Falador is really awesome and I'd encourage you to become a part of it. If you have some good ideas for role plays or want to join in on one, or come be a part of Rusco, you should definitely join us. Even just take a look at the forums (you do need to be logged in to do so). Oh, and we're a little crazy here, as should be apparent by our Forum Feature.

Tylerelyt: If you play any Forum Games other than the counting games, or you enjoy the quests of Runescape, then the Falador Library would be fun for you, simply because it works in much the same way as some of them.

archimage_a: We do exactly what it says on the tin. Roleplay.

hextriplet: Join! It's really fun. I'm making my own RP so if you join Falador Library join that :P. Rusco seems really good but I haven't tried it yet. It's really fun roleplaying, you should definitely try it out.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for being a part of the Falador Library!

hawkxs: I'm glad to be a part of it!

hextriplet: :twss: Thanks, well. I'll always give as much time as I can to Falador.

Tylerelyt: Any time, any time.

archimage_a: Archimage Away!

Group Portrait OR Theme Song

Theme Song or RSMV of it is in progress atm, group portrait could be created, see following idea.

Links and Other Awesomeness

Falador_Scroll_1_by_hawkxs.png

Falador_2_by_hawkxs.png

Falador_3_by_hawkxs.png

Falador_4_by_hawkxs.png

A Special Surprise!

Possibly the starscape sig/banner I've made, if no one particularly cares.

(We will narrow down this sig list soon)

2e540hl.jpg

14vk7iq.jpg

flsig.png

flsig1.png

The Small Print

If you have any questions or comments feel free to respond here or PM hawkxs or archimage_a. They would be glad to help you out. Thank you for taking your time to read this. Many thanks goes to all of the forum members for their work on this project, but a special thanks to archimage_a, hawkxs, Hextriplet, and who_am_i for their dedication on this project. I hope you have enjoyed this as much as we did working on this. And for one last time, our motto, Falador Library... Where Worlds Collide!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, I would prefer my name to be listed as Tylerelyt instead of who_am_i. I don't like my Tif username.

Also, in this question in the interview:

Got any crazy things happening right now?

who_am_i: There's always crazy stuff happening in this library. However, a bunch of us met at Malburg's Inn in Rusco, and now we get to see how Archi reacts to a bunch of primitive people who use bows and spears, instead of the futuristic weapons from his world.

hextriplet: Yeah... in Project Desiral I'm in prison... lol, archimage's character knocked me out and dragged me there, I need to find a way to escape.

hawkxs: Well, in Rusco, Archi is in an Inn and a couple of us are heading to meet him there. We're not really sure what the rest of the people are doing. Zeplo was recently restarted, and Project Desiral is going strong and is developing some interesting plot without much effort.

archimage_a: A list of sane things would probably be shorter. Hmmm, well I just agreed to sing a song and post in on the web, so that is probably the crazist thing so far, though not by much.

We should at least update the parts that involve Rusco. Those are like, 3 Ruscovian days old. :o I.e.

There's always crazy stuff happening in this library. However, we have just passed through 300 years of time in a couple seconds in Rusco, and we're trying to figure out where the people came from.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Fantastic :). Could we put the story in hide tags or is tha un-nessesery (spelling fail). and just a little thing

who_am_i: A few fights. A few friendships. A little spying. A little mobstering. Some goblin slaying. Some robot slaying. Yeah. You get the picture. But mainly you get to join a very fun community in a community with some great people.

hawkxs: Pretty much craziness. If you spend a few minutes here, we're guaranteed to rub off on you. Role-playing happens, but also a lot of fun and interesting discussions. I think we might spend more time discussing rping than actually rping.

hextriplet: You roleplay, it's like telling a story but with many different writers, it's really fun to do because you're only effecting your character, its like being a story writer apart from less then half the work and one hundred times the fun.

archimage_a: Writing mainly, though we are branching out into video and recently into singing, though that might drive people away. =P

Those will make it just that little bit cleaner.

How we go about creating a role-play/other falador related story

Classroom angle

I don't understand this.

meatlover.png

@Tyler: Done and Done

@Hex: See first post of page 5 of this thread, end of the post.

Also creating an 'icon' for a quick link to fally which can represent throughout the forums.

RE: SIG BARS

A Special Surprise!

Possibly the starscape sig/banner I've made, if no one particularly cares.

(We will narrow down this sig list soon)

2e540hl.jpg

14vk7iq.jpg

flsig.png

flsig1.png

No offense but all four of these aren't that amazing. There's an old Proud Member of Fally userbar floating around, I might make a userbar version of the planets sig, anyone's thoughts?

@Tyler: Done and Done

@Hex: See first post of page 5 of this thread, end of the post.

Also creating an 'icon' for a quick link to fally which can represent throughout the forums.

Read it.

Yeh, an icon thing!!

the red and yellow looks much much better.

Oh yeh and I petition that members of falador library get cool text like this

in there group

meatlover.png

ICON!!!

Pixel_Book_Icon_for_Falador_by_hawkxs.png

[url="http://forum.tip.it/forum/170-falador-library/"][img=http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/292/8/9/Pixel_Book_Icon_for_Falador_by_hawkxs.png][/url]

A whopping 844 bytes (yeah, that's BYTES), at a cost of 34x41px. ANYONE and EVERYONE should be able to add this to their sig.

Thats fantastic hawxks.

all the links very well done :).

Userbars? the first two look good but the bottom ones text isn't very good.

otherwise, yeh. the planets sig idea, userbar is good. I really like that picture.

We should all post a description of our characters.

meatlover.png

nz0mj6.jpg

[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewforum.php?f=245][img=http://i34.tinypic.com/nz0mj6.jpg][/url]

If you could post your Rusco character description ( http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heromachine2/heroMachine2.asp and screenshot would be ohsohelpful) and any other character you think is worth including (Zeplo, Desiral) here I can begin a group picture with some luck.

I'd rather not, just because it's such a small picture. If you can screenshot the items she's wearing (names of items are helpful in preventing confusion) and give that to me along with the character pic I can probably do it.

• 3 weeks later...