why should students wear school uniforms?

fire_skulll300

Yah 200 Bucks for 2-3 outfits is cheap! The pants I get are 50 bucks each, shirts 30, shoes 50 and so on. God these people must be rich. *Walks off reliezing how stupid it is to spend $50 on a pair of pants made in a sweatshop in Latin America by a 8 year old blind girl*

i think people are made to wear it because it outlaws people dressing in gangs, and so students feel at less pressure about their image...personally, i believe not having uniform builds character and lets you be an individual, nowhere should have uniform but rather a dress code (ie come dressed smart, but casual)

Schools should let people be who they want to be and not who they want them to be.

logo.jpg

Well, I believe almost every public / private school in Australia is required to have a uniform.

And off the top of my head reasons are:

- Be able to identify between students and outsiders (safety)

- Be able to identify kids who are waging

that's the first semi-good reason I've heard ever, being able to identify outsiders, I mean, not taht it's a huge problem at my school, but we've started locking it up and stuff, only people going to the school being able to open the doors...so that would be a good reason.

but what do you mean by waging?

korla3eaqd3.jpg

You don't ahve to worry abiout looking cool, everyone looks the same. One girls school here, the full uniform new, costs about $2500 new zealand dollars. Which is about $1800 USA dollars I believe....

Private school? That's one expensive uniform.

@Korla: Cutting class / truanting / etc (whatever it's called for you :P)

The age-old argument.... Anyway, I think that, most of the time, some manner of uniform is a good idea, for all those good reasons that people have already suggested (including the safety, etc).

Those people saying that they would feel just as good wearing hand-me-downs and cheap clothing... good for you, but A) some people don't have the confidence that you do, and B) that won't stop "bullies" from making fun of people who wear that sort of thing.

I say "most of the time", as it's obviously not always helpful, and it doesn't always benefit all people. Most kids don't have the foresight to realise that it's helping them--they just think of the present and how they look--which is understandable: it's not exactly the height of fashion.

What would you think if you went to a huge department store and found that the staff didn't wear uniforms? How would you know who to ask for assistance or service? Another thing that uniforms do is let people know who goes to the school--if you see a child who isn't in uniform, they've either got some reason not to be wearing it, or they're not from the school; in either case they can be aprehended and, I don't know, beaten or something.

I once went to a school where the uniform was this: (any) black trousers, (any) poloshirt/shirt, (any) black top, and (any) footwear. This way, everyone looked pretty much the same, and no-one was teased about what they were wearing (they had to be plain black, btw), and no-one felt that they were being forced to wear something ridiculous. I think there was some leeway, as well; girls could wear skirts, for example.

Uniform doesn't eliminate bullying, obviously. It does however, remove some of the targets for bullying.

Private school? That's one expensive uniform.

@Korla: Cutting class / truanting / etc (whatever it's called for you :P)

a-ha, that would be skiving for me :) I'm british in my english :P

korla3eaqd3.jpg

hmm most of you say so that everyone looks the same, but even with uniforms people can still find soemthing to make fun of. Take cadets for example. We all have the exact same uniform, yet we can still make fun and degrade others on it, why? cause we have to iron our clothing, and polish our boots, and some dont do as a good of a job, and other make fun of them for that.

But i doubt school unifroms need upkeep like that, but if one could sorta customize it, people could make fun of how they chose to do that.

As long as the uniform is confortable, im fine with it :)

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I've never worn a school uniform ever and nobody at my school has to either. Of course i go to a public school and not a private school, but i don't know whether people at private schools have to wear uniforms or not anyway.

They shouldn't unless they are hot, Japanese schoolgirls

yeah, they always look good. they really like to make their skirts short :D

and the catholic school girl look, now thats pretty hot also.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

@Shas_O_Jay: I don't think they supress individuality. Uniforms have done nothing to supress that in this area. As for the jewelry and such, most schools I know of have some tight restrictions on that because of workplace health and safety + common sense ;)

i didn't mean wearing the uniform, but rather taking away the privilege of expressing your personality by wearing your desired clothing.

It is to save the student's money. I went to a catholic school for nine years and the uniform was just a blue or red polo shirts with khaki pants being khaki or blue. The girls could also wear a skirt with a certain plaid pattern if they wanted to. You could get by with 2 or 3 pair of each, but at a public school you're always afraid of wearing the same thing twice during the same week.

i didn't mean wearing the uniform, but rather taking away the privilege of expressing your personality by wearing your desired clothing.
I guess that explains how 30K students in my area managed to express their personalities perfectly fine, despite having to wear a uniform every year for 12 years :-?

I wasn't aware that clothing > behaviour in expressing personality.

Care to enlighten me on how that is so since I can't see any logical reasoning behind it.

I like my uniform. It allows me to act like an officious git of a senior student towards the little junior kiddies.

There's also the awesomeness of having "2nd Grade Fencing, 2005" right underneath the breast pocket of the blazer. Next year, it'll be 1st Grade Fencing, 2006 as well as a little something for music, and I'll be leaving school knowing that I represented my school in extracurricular activities.

You just don't get that with casual clothing. Nobody knows if you do anything worthwhile when all you wear is the latest trendy (read: conformist) clothing.

Personally, coming from schools where I had to wear uniform, and now being at college, I dont, I can see why they are a good thing.

When your younger (primary school in the uk 4-10), wearing uniform or not isnt a big matter as you dont care what others are like, but when you go to the next level at secondary school (11 -16 in uk) things like clothes mattered, I had to wear a uniform (white shirt, grey trousers, black shoes, blue school jumper), which made all of us look similar EXCEPT for things like bags and coats, you'd get ridiculed if you weren't wearing anything trendie (such as say, a nike coat), I know via friends who went to non uniform schools in the same area that clothes are a massive factor in your social standing at school.

For those people in the UK, how do you identify chavs and townies? by their clothes, if it wasnt for that, you wouldnt know they were the prats they are.

Also, you say about individuality and I have to ask, what part of educational establishment says anything about going there to learn to be yourself? as you go to learn skills to put you through life.

Personally, I think uniform is a great idea, as its one less thing to worry about and it also gives you something in common with *everyone* who you are at school with as other clothes can be a barrier to get to know people.

And, as a finishing note to those who think clothes dont matter: Would you judge someone in a suit the same as a tramp (aka, hobo) without knowing anything at all about them and going on appearances? I doubt many of you can truthfully say you would.

ok thankyou everyone for all of your replies does anyone else have anything to say about it (bump)

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

I guess that explains how 30K students in my area managed to express their personalities perfectly fine, despite having to wear a uniform every year for 12 years :-?

I wasn't aware that clothing > behaviour in expressing personality.

Care to enlighten me on how that is so since I can't see any logical reasoning behind it.

sigh :?

you can obviously still act the way you want to, and i never said that you couldnt or that clothing was greater than behavior. you can express your personality even with a uniform, but it gives you less of a chance, hence depriving of some individuality.

The way you originall wrote it came across as:

Uniform = no expression of personality.

Since you stated that it would be "taking away the privilege of expressing your personality" not some, or such like, but all.

Nice to know it's cleared up now :)

Try and be more precise next time ;)

Not only that (what darkrick just posted), Shas_O_Jay, but go explain that to the bullies, who think clothes matter. For a kid to be bullied is traumatic and usually has consequences in life. No I'm not kidding, read up on it.

If you're not one of te bullies, good on you. Sadly, a lot are and don't have a clue about money and the fact that namebrand clothes cost a lot. Well they don't have a clue about anything to begin with, since they think clothes matter.

It's become such a problem these days that uniforms are looked upon as a very good solution. Minimizes differences, therefore minimizes bullying. Doesn't matter that they're expensive (well it does, but not in that context), the idea is to remove the differences.