Tip.It Times Presents: Grand Exchange - Help or Hindrance?

Rcty

hello i'm J67 as you can guess this is not my real or user name i am and shall remain a faceless informit. The "GE" can be good or bad. Of couse we all know this. But have you thought about this "i need 1k steel bars oh why mine the iron or coal? i can just go to the grand exchange!"

this is not bad if its just one or two people but it has goten a little out of hand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

the GE makes people lazy! To give a idea lets look at the rune crafting guild as a prime exaple of peoples being lazy .

the exaple i speak of is the blood and death tialismins (sorry about the spelling) there are a few people like me who have done the quest and goten them. but most tried to buy them .

lets put it this way. i put on my new omni tiara in the rune crafting guild and had 30 people ask me if they could barrow my death and blood tally.

the GE takes the insentive out of hard work as ths shows. if this isn't enough i have a storyof my past working expereince. that can shed light on this matter.

i worked for a smithing company (for great reson i can't tell you the name of the company for i wish to remain a unknown player speaking the turth)

now when this update came out our boss was pertty happy with it becuase it not only alouded us to take orders but when there was none or we had a over flow it alouded us to move goods.

so all was good intill the prices started to fall. we didn't think it was a big deal at 1st and that it would bounce back but it really hasn't.

so as the prices droped what do you think a bissness that isn't willing to fire people would do? he slashed wages but then i don't blame him.

but prices kept falling till the boss decided to close up shop.this makes me sad but i have 1 last thing for you to think about.

the turth is the higher prices merchantes used may of seemed bad but when you think about it they made you want to work so you didn't have to pay those prices but now the the runescape staff contorls the prices and has them so low why work?

higher prices lead to more self work

also one of the main points of merchanting is being able to contorl the price of your goods.

this is J67 signing off i will be back when i can speak more turths on the issues

PM me with your thoughts

Also if the agree with me plz put this in your signature

higher prices lead to more self work. so raise the flag for a free market!

(plz excusse my spelling i'm not the best speller)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes people lazy? No, it removes the pointless busywork nobody likes. Do you really want to run back and forth from the shop on Entrana to buy eyes of newt that you could get for under 100 gp from other players, or stand around in a bank yelling for hours? Because I don't. There are only two major flaws with the Grand Exchange, in my opinion: the 100-at-a-time quantity limits, and the incredibly slow price updates of rare items like 3rd age.

the ge is both helpfull and a hindrance. besides jagex controling the prices it makes large amount buying/sellin a lot faster. but since it came out i really miss just trading with people normally. i have a pure account and was doing the lumbridge diary and need some runes, yet i did not want to go all the way to varrok to buy them. no one even high lvl players were willing to sell me something normaly. I think that we should remeber not use the ge as the only possiblily of trading and also use the old trading system.

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

99 cooking achieved on december 7th 2008

when i said it makes people lazy you missed my point the point being if you can get this quickly what is the point of using your skills. look around you'll see less and less people using their fishing mining and rune crafting skills (although the recent update gave reson to rune craft) i ment people will stop using thier skills and just try to buy them.

money can't buy everything. the ture fortures come from your skills and experances you can't buy that no matter how much gold you have.

i give you a great exaple think about Zezima (i know zez is no longer the top high scorer but most of us oldies know this one)

how did zezima become one of the most know players in runescape (sure money had something to do with it). this player became the best of the best and stayed there for a long time. how. though hard work you can't buy hard work thats what i mein by the GE makes people lazy.

Well, it's a help to me. Even though merchanting is gone, "investing" has came out. Investing may have more risk, but it's more better profit-wise.

I've actually gotten quite good at predicting market prices and investing in items that have potential profit within a certain percentage... also know as investing. It's actually very interesting; perhaps I'll become a stockbroker lol. :thumbsup:

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

Well, it's a help to me. Even though merchanting is gone, "investing" has came out. Investing may have more risk, but it's more better profit-wise.

I've actually gotten quite good at predicting market prices and investing in items that have potential profit within a certain percentage... also know as investing. It's actually very interesting; perhaps I'll become a stockbroker lol. :thumbsup:

Your way of investing is like merchanting anyway but wait til it cost more first like the price of rune ess. I personaly already said that i found g ex useful, but now hearing all of u "money maker" and the whole "merchanting" makes me sick and disgust about the way g ex was originally design. Is it me or is every 1 become much more richer then before when g ex first design? Is it the whole "Merchanting" thing ? :wall:

huntintheenemy-1.png

Legendz - 100+ F2p combat !! Join today and get TWO free cookies @@@@@

crowngolduh9.gif - Proud Leader of LEGENDZ

warsword.gif - Proud Warlord of Clan Europe

lazy habits lead to ignorent ways

i like the ge but it does make people lazier plz if your going to argue this i've explaned why it does so plz take the skill factor into acount befor saying i'm not speaking honestly

i mine most of my coal , gather most of my wood , fish any of my fish and i fine that it makes the game funner then "buying your way" into everything. you know what they say.

"A fool and his gold are soon parted"

For me the GE has been nothing but a big help. I can train my skills while I wait for my offers to be completed which saves me a huge amount of time every time I need to buy or sell something. Also, merchanting is still possible, you just need to follow the prices of the different items more exactly now and you perhaps need a bit more skill now than you needed before. But you can still make hundreds, and even millions if you're good, by merchanting. So I think the GE is nothing but a great tool for buying and selling :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

lazy habits lead to ignorent ways

i like the ge but it does make people lazier plz if your going to argue this i've explaned why it does so plz take the skill factor into acount befor saying i'm not speaking honestly

i mine most of my coal , gather most of my wood , fish any of my fish and i fine that it makes the game funner then "buying your way" into everything. you know what they say.

"A fool and his gold are soon parted"

Having fun is the main thing, but buying essence and then power-mining raises two skills quicker than mining your own essence. As a general rule, self sufficiency is less productive than using money to buy things.

• 2 weeks later...

for the sad merchanters: what if all/most items wich were traded while merchanting (such as barrows, god armours, god swords, items with a high value) were excluded from the GE. so merchanting would still exist, and the effiecience of the GE to.

Greets

Kolgan

• 3 months later...

I'm an old Runecrafter who left RS shortly after the GE was instated and honestly when I look back the whole reason I left could be traced back to the Grand Exchange. Pure Essence the main item that I bought and my main expense DOUBLED in price I was buying essence at 70 gold a piece back then now I just came back and sold the 166k for over 140 each which bought me two halloween masks which was about what I could have gotten with the 166k laws back then. I had originally bought that essence for about 12 million gold I sold it for 24-25 million that change is because of the Exchange. The Grand Exchange also seemed to lower rune prices dramatically law runes which I remember as being 330-350g are now just over 300g. Overall the Grand Exchange has for many people been a great help however for me and many of my comrades it ruined the game.

tl;dr The GE has doubled pure essence prices lowered rare prices but for the majority of Runescape been a great help.

EDIT: Sorry for the epic bump didn't see the date