Tip.It Times Presents: Grand Exchange - Help or Hindrance?

Rcty

Meh, the G.E. helped one time, now it's annoying. The people there always want to borrow stuff :x,

but that might be just the people around it. The down side of the G.E. though is, people can't merchant, items dropped in worth, players can buy skills now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the Grand Exchange never been a hindrance. The trade limit was the thing that made people hate the GE.

Nothing would have been wrong with it, if there was no trade limit.

Said very well.

And I love the GE, ridiculously much. Almost stalker love.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

It's like a love-hate relationship. I love to hate it, yet sometimes I just love it.

Thing is, some trades which would have taken ages advertising now just go by themselves, which is awesome. The only problem is the whole +/- 5% issue which can be a real problem, but I guess that isn't the GE itself, it's the trade restrictions. Then again, without the trade restrictions, the GE doesn't serve it's true purpose.

:| Meh.

The important thing is that it's here to stay, and no amount of rioting will change anything now.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I'm not sure what the point of this article is. He spends a lot of time talking about how merchants hated the GE at first, which is true. However, he never mentioned the resolutions to this issue that made everyone accept the GE- junk trades and investing. The GE DOES have merchanting, at least as much as before.

The article raises valid points and then just leaves them sitting there without saying anything about them.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

in the beginning i disliked it because i thought the prices would be the same but when jagex started changing prices i became ok with it because it makes buying and selling so much faster and easier. + i love how it keeps selling/buying even when u have logged. no more standing and yelling and waiting for someone to buy. it has made things so convenient. another thing is that i dont need price checks anymore and know if im being rip offed or not.

i h8 it...thats why items crash so fast

You cannot really blame the Grand Exchange for that, considering it is a player made problem. How, exactly ( I am sure do probably know this)? Well, if there is a lack of a particular item that is in demand, the prices will rise. If there is more of that items that is being bought, the prices will go down. This is what happened to Santa Hat's recently. A clan put all their Santa's in and the price plummeted due to lack of demand.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

the ge is definitely a huge help but the author failed to deal with the real problems of the ge, mainly price floors, ceilings, quantity limits and price manipulation. An example of this is the dfs, varying wildy from week to week, obviously due to manipulation. God swords and gold bars, stuck on ridculous price floors, making gold bars very difficult to sell and godswords ridiculously expensive. Buying quantity limits are annoying and serve no real purpose.

ccb155d849.png

Therefore, we have two points of view, as always with new releases. We have the people who did not become as addicted to merchanting and the people who needed it to sustain a decent living. Of course, each one of them wanted their own way.

Hey, I need the Grand Exchange to sustain a decent living! If I had to stand around in a bank yelling every time I wanted to sell something, I would end up using all my fish/herbs/logs/whatever myself just to spare the agony, and then I'd never have my bandos plate, pirate hook, and sara sword.

Besides, nobody really needed merchanting to sustain a decent living, and it still exists in the Grand Exchange anyway, as that ridiculously long picture proved. So this article was kind of a miss for me, since it tried to present both sides of an issue when there really is only one side.

Oh, and: I didn't know. ;)

The ge is good and bad.

Good because it makes merchanting easier.

Bad because it makes merchanting easier.

Having a source of infinite wealth with no work makes the game too easy and take away alot of the fun.

Whoops, guess we better kill off Miscellania then. I'll go summon an army of undead to overrun them, you go breed some giant nuclear chinchompas of mass destruction! :thumbsup:

However, some players became unhappy with the release, because merchanting became almost impossible to do and Jagex controlled the economy, adjusting it accordingly to the demand and supply, rather than the popularity of the item.

"Popularity of the item"? Supply and demand is a basic principle in the market. In all economies, supply and demand is the reason why prices go up and down.

Unfortunately, though, Jagex has it set so that the price of an item cannot change due to having no supply or no demand. Take 3rd age for example; people are willing to pay well into the 50M+ range, and yet the Grand Exchange price reflects its worth as only 5-25M (excluding the kiteshield). Take partyhats as the opposite example; people are willing to sell for well under what the Grand Exchange reflects it as, but still, no change.

As I'm sure you could all imagine trying to buy an item before the Grand Exchange in World 2 Falador, if you weren't getting the item for what you were asking for, you would be most likely to offer more money. The Grand Exchange cannot do that. That is a major flaw that has yet to be fixed.

usctrojanscopyde6.jpg

I'm not sure what the point of this article is. He spends a lot of time talking about how merchants hated the GE at first, which is true. However, he never mentioned the resolutions to this issue that made everyone accept the GE- junk trades and investing. The GE DOES have merchanting, at least as much as before.

The article raises valid points and then just leaves them sitting there without saying anything about them.

Agreed. There didn't seem to be much insight or understanding into the way the GE works, or how players use it, or even basic understading of economics. "Jagex controlled the economy, adjusting it accordingly to the demand and supply, rather than the popularity of the item." made me cringe.. they imposed a trade limit yes, but they don't manually adjust the prices except in very extreme situations. This kind of practice happens in real life and in real economies, generally not as strict as some of the GE's limits (although some governments have) it's interesting to see how theoretical models of real life trade restrictions can be applied to the RS economy.

All i got from this was an acknowledgement that there are different opinions of the GE: 'these people don't like it for x reason, these people like it for y.' I think it would have been better to examine these reasons.. are they really justified in thinking this way? ok, people don't like the GE because of x, but what effect does x really have on players/the economy? questions like that would make for an interesting read and not just tell us what we all knew already.

Sorry for being harsh, but it's an interesting subject and you touched upon some interesting areas for discussion, but you stopped at the gates as it were and just stated the obvious.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

Good read to be honest.

I never merchanted before the GE other than a couple of times when I saw, in the same bank, one person selling an item for lower than another was buying it lol.

Merchanting, however, is still possible, and hugely profitable.

This is a picture I found on Supreme Skillers' forum, and all credits for it go to Blue Summer, I am just using it to prove that you can make millions very easily using the GE:

[hide=Crazily Long Picture, you have been warned]epiccollageaz1.jpg[/hide]

holy [cabbage]! thats alot!

foukouei.png

Well, I for one, believe its a bit of both. For one, it does take care of finding you customers, however it also does the negotiating for you. A merchant, by definition is basically one who trades goods and services for profit/monetary gain. Technically, merchanting is still possible. However, people need to adjust to the G.E. and learn a new way to merchant. It is a problem however, that there are price limitations, I'm not saying their essentially bad, its just that they are so narrow (5% If I'm correct) that they limit the speed of price changes. In my opinion a 15% difference would be more suitable, allowing for more robust changes. Sure enough, people could lose money faster, but also gain money faster. I hope jagex realizes that the G.E. needs a few tweaks, and that some prices are incorrect (not in sync with market values - Think Phats, 3rda). If jagex works out these issues, I believe the G.E. has the potential to become a 100% helpful merchanting tool.

(Edit: Almost forgot, That was a GRRRREAT read =P BUT ITS NOT BETTER THAN FROSTED FLAKES)

Will get a new Siggy, if I get around to it[/size]

indeed the GE has provided much convenience for everyone...i believe no one can deny the fact that it is so much easier to buy and sell things on the GE now.

however the problem about the GE was that it was implemented with the trade limit which means no one can buy or sell items at their preferred price anymore but must do so at the price which the GE sets for them. Furthermore, the GE prices for quite a handful of goods are way off what players want to sell and buy them for such as partyhats, animal masks, 3rd age etc. The evidence of this can be clearly seen from the low amount (or rather NIL for some cases) trade that takes place for these items on the GE as well as how so many people are asking for junk or offering junk for these items depending on whether the item in question is over or undervalued.

this creates a lot of inconvenience and inefficiency for a lot of people...imagine having to collect 100M worth of junk just to buy a phat...with greater inconvenience the volume of trade decreases which is unhealthy for the RS economy...in my opinion if Jagex wants the GE to be success they should readjust the prices of certain popular items every few weeks...the prices of 3rd age have stayed constant with 0 change for the past God knows how many weeks for the simple reason that the price on the GE undervalues the true price of 3rd age equipment...the same can be said for partyhats just that the partyhats it is the other way round and the GE overvalues them...Jagex should do something about this if they want the GE to be a greater success.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

Meh, the G.E. helped one time, now it's annoying. The people there always want to borrow stuff :x,

but that might be just the people around it. The down side of the G.E. though is, people can't merchant, items dropped in worth, players can buy skills now.

1. YOU CAN STILL MERCHANT!!!!!

and 2. We've always had the ability to buy skills, the ge just made it easier!

I despised standing in the bank and repeating myself for hours to trade. GE made my life a whole lot easier - even if I do lose a little cash, the time I saved makes up for it. So yeah I'm definitely a fan of the Grand Exchange. The only thing I don't like about it is the huge crowd of people living there. :lol:

While the Grand Exchange has been a great help in many ways, it has also been a huge hindrance. It has killed the rare market, and the price margin is a pain and rather unnecessary in the GE, but that is a different debate.

Yes, while it is still possible to merchant large ticket items, I used to love merchanting coal, iron ore, and pure essence, and the GE has killed that off, unless you buy and hope the price goes up. However, that is not merchanting, that is gambling. Anyways, while I do think that the GE is really useful, I miss the old style of trading, and the personal interaction with other players.

qeauxraline.png

"Call now, and I'll replace your old television with a new one that looks just like it, while you sleep!" --Dogbert

Agreed.

I make at least 1m a day,

Because I make money realll slow.

Using the G.E.

7.1m now ^_^

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow