Tip.It Times Presents: Grand Exchange - Help or Hindrance?

Rcty

I find Grand exchange is so much better becoz it blocks scammer from scamming player's item and it helps people to earn money as well :thumbsup:

huntintheenemy-1.png

Legendz - 100+ F2p combat !! Join today and get TWO free cookies @@@@@

crowngolduh9.gif - Proud Leader of LEGENDZ

warsword.gif - Proud Warlord of Clan Europe

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an F2P, I find GE rather nice but I hate it because of junk trading and ability to sell off junk in GE. I would say GE is more of a help because I can be updated about what is happening in the market. Nice article. Will try merchanting in P2P if I do, lol.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

It was written as if Grand Exchange merchanting was impossible. This is not the case at all, you can make a lot of money with merchanting through the Grand Exchange, maybe more than normal merchanting. I know people who have made 400m+ in a month. It just takes a little more skill in picking items.

snowsigyy7.png

But that's the whole point of Grand exchange isn't it ? :|

I always find that grand exchange is a place to make money :)

huntintheenemy-1.png

Legendz - 100+ F2p combat !! Join today and get TWO free cookies @@@@@

crowngolduh9.gif - Proud Leader of LEGENDZ

warsword.gif - Proud Warlord of Clan Europe

i was a bit mad at first when th ge came out, but, as a quester, it has been so helpful in getting items that may be a bit nit picky to get otherwise. It's my one stop shop so to speak.

I did try merchanting once and wasnt very successful, so all in all, the ge has in fact helped my gameplay experience.

Aeolyn5601.png

Zombie: Eat Flesh

At first, I couldn't stand the GE. The prices were waaayyy out of whack. However, now that the prices have settled to a more agreeable price, its been a big help.

Example: Zammy page 4 was 90k in january. Now its worth over 400k.

Doctors repeat themselves because they have nothing better to say......

When I first read about the GE in the Developer Diaries, my first thought was that I finally have a quick and painless way of selling my skilling products. And it is. Personally I've never believed in the buying and selling of huge number of a single item, hoping to profit from the cost difference between the two transactions. To me, merchanting demeans the value of the game and created a negative environment of which people obsessed over certain items. This obsession turned many a player to real world trading -- illegally purchasing GP and/or items with real money -- and further degraded the game's quality in both players and the pre-GE updates that were meant to control the influx of resource-bots and GP-trader rings.

The GE and the trade limit that was released shortly after it, certainly flushed a lot of these problems down the proverbial drain. The GE controlled an item's price regardless of the transaction happening between players, a player selling to an NPC store, or putting a transaction through the GE, thus bringing the hyper inflated items market back down to reasonable values. The trade limit effectively made the purchasing and selling of GP impractical and thus the GP-trader rings promptly disappeared or moved onto other online games.

I find it difficult to believe that some players are still under the delusion that RuneScape would have continued to grow or stayed an enjoyable game if the GE and the trade limit wasn't introduced. Jagex made an extremely smart move to permanently remove many, if not all forms of real world trading, even if it meant at the expense of losing a large part of their player population, if this said portion of the player population even left the game at all.

Players have to remember the purpose of the GE. It wasn't to control the items market and make players' ability to make money difficult but its ultimate purpose was to rid the game of resource-bots and GP-trader rings and bringing the game back to an enjoyable state.

Cele

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

I've been playing this game for 9 years. I'm obviously incredibly old fashioned. I have rejoined about a month or two ago and it has been a real hard getting use to. I have found that the presence of the GE has hindered the economy more than gold buying and scamming ever could. People that sold raw materials such as nature runes, yews, magics either used what they had or found a buyer via forums, connections, what have you. But with the GE people can do without bargaining or selling it at a much cheaper price. They have to sell it at what Jagex tells them to. You use to be able to cut yews for an hour or two do a little merchanting and live a very healthy life style but now because of the GE you have to spend a few extra hours to make a living in runescape.

I've been playing this game for 9 years. I'm obviously incredibly old fashioned. I have rejoined about a month or two ago and it has been a real hard getting use to. I have found that the presence of the GE has hindered the economy more than gold buying and scamming ever could. People that sold raw materials such as nature runes, yews, magics either used what they had or found a buyer via forums, connections, what have you. But with the GE people can do without bargaining or selling it at a much cheaper price. They have to sell it at what Jagex tells them to. You use to be able to cut yews for an hour or two do a little merchanting and live a very healthy life style but now because of the GE you have to spend a few extra hours to make a living in runescape.

Well get with the times. The price's are not Jagex's prices they are Player prices. Merchanting has never been easier, I make 2-20M a day for 5 minutes worth of playing.

Well get with the times. The price's are not Jagex's prices they are Player prices. Merchanting has never been easier, I make 2-20M a day for 5 minutes worth of playing.

Really? 2-20million? If the GE didn't exist you could make triple that off people who were desperate and tired of not being able to sell that certain item.

The Grand Exchange and trade limits have done nothing. Now all that they do is bot with the character that payed for the gold/items. In fact, it's easier for the places where people buy it to get it to them, no more hassling over securing the trading. It's less secure for the people who buy it, though, since they need their password and such and to not log on, I've been told.

Really? 2-20million? If the GE didn't exist you could make triple that off people who were desperate and tired of not being able to sell that certain item.

We all agree that you were able to make more money in the past with merchanting due to the lack of 5% restrictions.

Read what others are saying, it's NOT THE GE that is the problem when it comes to trading or "making triple off people who were desperate" like you could in the past, it's the restrictions of 5% that Jagex implemented, which would be in the trade window, too.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

When I was still a F2P (because that was SO long ago, three days at most) I would fish for lobsters in Karamja and then sell them for 40gp each at the general store, getting ~1000gp. This was before the GE. After it came out, I still fished - and then teleported to Varrock, sold my lobsters in the GE, and went back to Port Sarim to start all over. That was how I (finally) got Rune armor and eventually d'hide, 'cause I couldn't POSSIBLY go join the throng of merchants before the GE, so the GE is a huge help to me. And 'cause of my fishing lobsters all the time almost to the exclusion of all else (BEFORE the GE), my Fishing level is 65 and I'm planning on fishing A LOT of lobsters until I'm level 70, and having way too much fun doing it.

Now that I'm a member, I'm trying Fletching. Not as fun, though I suspect that once I'm high enough level to make steel arrows, I'll finally level in Mining/Smithing and smith mithril. And it's tons cheaper than buying my own arrows, especially since I sell half of each batch. And there is that thing about it being easier to level as a member so I'll hopefully be leveling faster. Hurrah for a chance at mining coal!

*runs off to the mines with my kitty (YAY FOR KITTIES!)*

Lielac, I-really-DID-mean-Lielac-not-Lilac

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

I've been playing this game for 9 years. I'm obviously incredibly old fashioned.

:roll:

Keep denying yourself

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

No on has the right to say merchanting exists anymore. You do not have the skill of true merchanting, the kind that is now dead. You have the ability to click "choose high price" when selling an item, "choose low price" when buying one. Congratulations. Here's a cookie.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

To be honest, the Grand Exchange never been a hindrance. The trade limit was the thing that made people hate the GE.

Nothing would have been wrong with it, if there was no trade limit.

Yeah the GE and has no problems in itself.

But it is associated with the lies and dissapointments of the other updates which came with it- the whole general [bleep] up of trading, Pking and Staking...but seriously don't get me started on that.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

I absolutely hate it. I used to be able to merchant party hats and other rares like crazy, and now? I wait DAYS. I went from making upwards of 5m minimum easily a day, to making nothing. (Mostly because I don't play anymore...but when I do, I can't merchant at all).

ohmygosh3gk9.jpg

It's impossible to lose money in the GE now, you can always make a profit if you have seriously rich friends and you're rich yourself, you can basically control the market whenever you want.

Example; myself and 20 other people buy-out fully Saradomin Swords, the GE price will go up by default because no one can buy them for max price.

All you need is a lot of money and rich friends to help you.

I'd like to know if that large photo of the guy selling hundreds of items was taken before or after the 4 hour trade limit.

Since that's been implemented I'm having a hard time making money on the GE at all. What do I merchant mulitple high priced items at a time, buying them all low and 4 hours later selling them high? :wall:

IrreIephant.png

|Msg me me in-game | IrreIephant|

^ capital i

I do hate the limits on yew longbows etc. You can only get like 100 per 4 hours? But you can do it via the original tradescreen for the medium price, so why can't we just buy larger amounts for the medium price via the grand exchange too?

One can still merchant--maybe not in the savvy sense of plain old buy low/sell high, but in the real-world sense of investment, trend watching, and true market skill. You have to have money, wits and patience, but I imagine it can be done. More skill than scam, as it were.

I love the GE, if only because I don't have to stand on the street and shout "selling 1k sharks!" ad nauseam when I could be playing!

Given that the GE is just one aspect of ALL the changes, I have to say something needs to be done about the collateral damage of killing RW trading.

With the old wild and pking gone, herblore has become a skill that costs far more than it yields. Where is the advantage in striving to be able to make super sets if only strength sells at a profit? The highest lvl pot of the set--super def--sells at a significant loss.

Especially if you farm your own ingredients.

I understand and accept the changes, but it is discouraging to look at skill effort turned into little more than a merit badge.

It should be nice to EARN money.

How nice that she's such a cranky old bat! :0