\m/-----Metal Sub-Genre Dictionary!!!!-----\m/

Cyco_Reborn

Blackened-Death, obviously.

Seriously, what's up with this thread. ::' It's too pathetic for words.

:mrgreen:

I think it's a very bad case of OCD.

iteme3721.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll use this for a reference if I ever decide to talk about metal so you guys don't kill me for classifying a band wrong :-#

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

• 3 weeks later...

I think Suffocation are brutal death, not technical. Their first album (according to wiki at least) is credited with being one of the first brutal DM albums. I have listened to it, and it does sound brutal rather than technical.

A better example of tech-death might be Necrophagist or something.

Edit: Almost forgot to say that my favourite genre is death metal (including brutal and technical). :) I also like a good bit of prog and some avant-garde if it piques my interest (Meshuggah, for example).

Heh, Atheist is probably the best example of a tech-death band. Death, well, they're ok I suppose.

Also, lol Tool as prog metal example. Not that they're horrible or anything, but there's less generic bands that are more prog that you could use, e.g. Ayreon, Strapping Young Lad (HELL YEAH YOU [bleep]ING SUCK) or Pain of Salvation.

And prog isn't necessarily guitar-led, lots of prog bands alternate between drums, keyboard and guitar often. Dream Theater is guitar/keyboard alternating, whereas Ayreon has the emphasis on the vocalists, and Opeth has the emphasis on twin guitar attacks and jazz-influenced playing.

Heh, Atheist is probably the best example of a tech-death band.

Ahh, of course. I agree, it just totally slipped my mind.

I suppose this raises the prospect of adding jazz fusion into the mix somehow. Got no idea how, though.

Hardcore: A heavier version of Metalcore. Typical Screamo sound. Band: Bring me the Horizon

wat

Hardcore is not a heavier version of metalcore at all, it's a heavier version of punk, and it's not a 'typical screamo' sound at all, most hardcore songs don't even scream, post hardcore ones do though.

Bring me the horizon is either metalcore or deathcore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk

^

all you need to know about hardcore.

Screamo however, is a genre which comes from hardcore punk mixed with emo, i.e the blood brothers. (terrible btw)

Newer screamo is things like the used or thursday, taking a more alternative rock approach.

You don't need to put screamo down there I just thought I'd say all this because of where you said: 'typical screamo sound.'

PLEASE EDIT THE HARDCORE PART OF THE FIRST POST OP.

Something like this:

Hardcore: A faster, heavier version of punk, not really related to metal but helped form metalcore. Usually clean vocals thus not to be confused with post-hardcore.

Hardcore: A heavier version of Metalcore. Typical Screamo sound. Band: Bring me the Horizon

wat

Hardcore is not a heavier version of metalcore at all, it's a heavier version of punk, and it's not a 'typical screamo' sound at all, most hardcore songs don't even scream, post hardcore ones do though.

^

Screamo however, is a genre which comes from hardcore punk mixed with emo, i.e the blood brothers. (terrible btw)

Newer screamo is things like the used or thursday, taking a more alternative rock approach.

You don't need to put screamo down there I just thought I'd say all this because of where you said: 'typical screamo sound.'

Something like this:

Hardcore: A faster, heavier version of punk, not really related to metal but helped form metalcore. Usually clean vocals thus not to be confused with post-hardcore.

You know, I don't particularly care. This was meant to be a metal dictionary, not punk, so I shall amend it by taking out the punkier stuff. Have a lovely day!!! :D

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

i lol'd at bring me the horizon being called hardcore.

bring me the horizon are deathcore. and their new album is an attempt at being more mainstream.

Doom is nothing like death also, unles you're thinking of funeral doom (Esoteric etc.)

Traditional doom metal is a slower version of traditional heavy metal and NWoBHM bands, such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath (this band started traditional doom), and Judas Priest. It's characterized by crushing riffs, operatic vocals and usually very long song lengths.

Bands include:

Reverend Bizarre - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QUz6zNkMj_Y

Candlemass - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6Spu7FWs8ik

Warning - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0

Solitude Aeturnus - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gw_USb2EysU

so awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

wat

^

Something like this:

You know, I don't particularly care. This was meant to be a metal dictionary, not punk, so I shall amend it by taking out the punkier stuff. Have a lovely day!!! :D

k don't get so defensive but why have you left deathcore in there when elitists like yourself don't consider it to be 'true' metal?

k don't get so defensive but why have you left deathcore in there when elitists like yourself don't consider it to be 'true' metal?

Woops, must've missed it out. Plus, i'm not an elitist anymore, i've turned into an eclectic Grindpunk!!! 8-)

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

Woops, must've missed it out. Plus, i'm not an elitist anymore, i've turned into an eclectic Grindpunk!!! 8-)

Riiight... >.>

nu-metal.

Adio.:evil:

Wtfness.

Metalcore and Nu-metal should be on there.

They do both have metal in them so dont say metalcore isnt metal =/

+ Nu metal has the 2 bands that actually open teens into the Metal genre.

KoRn and Slipknot. ;)

Metalcore has Bullet that brings them into Metal too.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I think Suffocation are brutal death, not technical. Their first album (according to wiki at least) is credited with being one of the first brutal DM albums. I have listened to it, and it does sound brutal rather than technical.

A better example of tech-death might be Necrophagist or something.

Edit: Almost forgot to say that my favourite genre is death metal (including brutal and technical). :) I also like a good bit of prog and some avant-garde if it piques my interest (Meshuggah, for example).

Just to change my opinion here, I now think Suffocation are more accurately described as brutal technical death metal, i.e. both in one.

Perhaps you could make that another subgenre... (I know a lot of this seems pedantic and meaningless, but it's not like this is a debate or anything).

Industrial: A version of Heavy metal that takes parts of electro-pop and uses distorted vocals. Band: Static-X

Fix'd

Heavy: Normal metal, pretty much. If you don't know what this sounds like: GO AWAY!!! Band: Band My Chemical Romance

:roll: :lol:

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Nu metal has the 2 bands that actually open teens into the Metal genre.

KoRn and Slipknot. ;)

I'd like to call BS, most of my friends who are hardly metalheads at all enjoy Korn and Slipknot.

Thats because they're bands that people can branch off of into the metal genre. I dont think someone would find metal on their radio station - many people I know have slipknot/korn/bullet songs and listen to them.

If theres a band or 2 that fits into a genre that is more mainstream than the hardcore stuff then it should honestly be put into the dictionary.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Noone cares about your spammy opinions.

Explain why it shouldnt be there?

Nu Metal is metal, and so is metalcore.

Just admit it.

That's arguable. They're probably better defined as fusion genres, not "true" metal subgenres. Metalcore would be some form of metal fused with hardcore punk, while Nu Metal would be some form of metal fused with hip-hop or perhaps even funk influences.

In my view, there should be some visible genealogy from classic (heavy) metal to the genre in question for it to be considered a valid metal subgenre. For example, Death Metal got much of it's chops from mid-80's thrash, with acts like Slayer prime among its influences. With extra furiosity and the advent of harsh vocals ("death growls" - check out Chuck Schuldiner for a good example), Death Metal was born out of thrash.