Clearing up the latest website problems.

Great job guys! =D> Have some cookies!

[hide=Cookies!]cookies.png[/hide]

Hm.. I'm also wondering if one of those 4chan guys involved with the DB attack is connected with this... Apart from that, I'd suspect RHQ or someone who is, ah, slightly upset over being banned. Of course, that is all wild speculation. ::'

Regardless, I'm glad that if someone did hire someone to do this, they wasted their monies.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only creating a botnet wasn't so easy these days, we wouldn't have to worry. Maybe the war on terror should turn to a war on gullible people who think they have 3,000 viruses and need to buy Windows Antivirus 2008? Save a lot of these things from happening

non sequitur?

people buying antivirus software can only help, unless they are downloading fake antivirus software or something

What I believe he's refering to is all those anti-virus programs that allows you to scan for a virus and then buy it in case it finds one. However, many of those available on the internet gives faked results that tries to convince you that you have more viruses than your computer actually has, if any at all. Also, some of the scanners available from the internet are actually viruses or trojans themselves.

You better watch out for trying new security software of companies you've never heard of. Look up on Wikipedia or Google in case you decide to try out a cheap or free program of a brand you haven't heard of.

Of course, installing security software is otherwise never wrong. 9/10 computers are afflicted with some form of malware. Even mine is despite the security measures I take. ;)

BlogofGlorySignatureFixed.gif

Antivirus 2008 is malware that disguises itself as an antivirus. It does a "scan" which is completely fake, and comes up with a bogus total (usually in the thousands) for the number of viruses you have on your computer. Most of the things it claims to have "found" are, in fact, non-existent. They use scare tactics (many of them, starting from the 3k count, to changing your background, etc) to make you pay up...I think $70. It's a nasty program to get on your computer, and its a super-pain to get off. My desktop was infected by something similar and now it's a fully functioning foot rest or doorstop, as the case may be.

Just figured I would clear that up, as it seems to have caused a bit of confusion. I was just saying that people who fall for scare tactics like that often open themselves up for worms and other malware that cause them to become involved in a botnet (which is then used for DDoS, and other nefarious purposes).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

there are also other virus scanning programs, that are downloadable for free, which are completely fake and filled with malware. but generally people who are looking for free anti-virus software will dowload this, without realizing its not an actual program. generally its aimed at people who arent great with computers and who would be absolutely clueless. i know this because my mom downloaded a program like that on our older computer :wall:

Antivirus 2008 is malware that disguises itself as an antivirus. It does a "scan" which is completely fake, and comes up with a bogus total (usually in the thousands) for the number of viruses you have on your computer. Most of the things it claims to have "found" are, in fact, non-existent. They use scare tactics (many of them, starting from the 3k count, to changing your background, etc) to make you pay up...I think $70. It's a nasty program to get on your computer, and its a super-pain to get off. My desktop was infected by something similar and now it's a fully functioning foot rest or doorstop, as the case may be.

Just figured I would clear that up, as it seems to have caused a bit of confusion. I was just saying that people who fall for scare tactics like that often open themselves up for worms and other malware that cause them to become involved in a botnet (which is then used for DDoS, and other nefarious purposes).

I got that, and has to get my entire system wiped. So many files lost...

What I don't get though, is how people are convinced that they need to buy this product when the fact that it's changed your desktop amongst other things proves to the most inexperienced user that Antivirus 2008 is in itself malware?

~ W ~

sigzi.png