Clearing up the latest website problems.

Hi all,

So, if you have been visiting our community web site lately, you may have seen we have "technical difficulties." What it is really is a strong DDOS attack aiming to cripple our community and from the sheer size of the attack, it doesn't look like someone "casually" selected us, but that most probably he hired some mercenary expert to do the dirty job. It has been unsuccessful for over 6 days now and even with slow loading times we are still up and our crew is keeping the site updated in front of all, I have to thank them all, crew and staff that in this time, has kept up with the problems and still works hard to produce quality content for you!

Our site tries to offer quality information and tools to improve your game experience; we have created a community where many people can express themselves without any sort of racial, religious and political influence and we wish to show that it is possible to be creative, original and inventive and keep dialog with everyone, thousands of people shared this idea and hundreds of thousands visit us regularly, and for all this community we fight with all our forces to not surrender to any lowlife blackmailing or external influence from any side!

Many people have sacrificed hours and hours of their time to collect and share the information that you see and use to have fun on our site, and many others sacrifice a ton of time to moderate, and maintain the forums so that you can have a place to talk and feel comfortable. While most of you cannot help in finding the source of this attack, many of you can still help with opinions on how to improve our site, submissions and corrections, and participating in many aspects of our community. You can talk to your friends who may not have heard of tip.it, and maybe they will come visit and decide to stay as well.

Rest assured we will keep up our fight and keep this site up for you and will never surrender its freedom to anyone!

Silverion, for all tip.it staff!

P.S. DDOS is a kind of attack that aims to overload web site computers so they just cannot keep creating and delivering content pages to real users but lose time and capacity on false "ghost" users that only steal computer resources and time, while the real users end up with timed out pages or very, very slow load times.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your all doing great, keep it up! :thumbsup:

I have to admit, people have to be really sad or very desperate when they want to over-run a fansite...

The site has been working pretty good today for me anyway. ::'

Thanks for your hard work and determination!

Is there any legal action you can take against the two major attacks to our site?

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

To the guy who said people who DDOS have no life, you have no idea how fun it is to do in groups lol. You split your sides laughing at how funny it is. And you can't really take legal action, I doubt the authorities really care if a fan site is being DDOS'd. But the person according to you, hired someone and thats the sad thing. But GJ, tip.it crew and administration for thrawting their attempts. And the community is defiantly worth it way to go.

thanks all on support, this mean a lot!

Is there any legal action you can take against the two major attacks to our site?

We are doing what we can, but major decision is if we wish to spend all our next years web maintenance and upgrades to pay some lawyer and not even be sure he will win a case :(, when someone piss us enough we move all we can, and in end they finish in hands of law but it is long process and there is a way too low or better to say no help from who have to help sites like ours.

To the guy who said people who DDOS have no life, you have no idea how fun it is to do in groups lol. You split your sides laughing at how funny it is. And you can't really take legal action, I doubt the authorities really care if a fan site is being DDOS'd. But the person according to you, hired someone and thats the sad thing. But GJ, tip.it crew and administration for thrawting their attempts. And the community is defiantly worth it way to go.

This attack tip.it with tens of thousands of automated boots, and still they dont have enough force to keep us down ;), it is not a kind of attack where you and 100 guild members "DDOS" other guild site :) this is done with botnet, you can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

Silverion.png

You know this guy was once a top smith in all Runescape :P

thanks all on support, this mean a lot!

We are doing what we can, but major decision is if we wish to spend all our next years web maintenance and upgrades to pay some lawyer and not even be sure he will win a case :(, when someone piss us enough we move all we can, and in end they finish in hands of law but it is long process and there is a way too low or better to say no help from who have to help sites like ours.

If it's small claims, can't you represent yourself?

j0xPu5R.png

1) The attacker would have to be in the same country as wherever Tip.it is hosted (Italy, unless I'm missing something)

2) There is no small claims court in Italy

3) If both the attacker and Tip.it were in the U.S., for example, small claims court maxes out at $5,000, and probably much more than that was done

4) Proof is very hard to get, especially if the attackers are from different countries

1) The attacker would have to be in the same country as wherever Tip.it is hosted (Italy, unless I'm missing something)

2) There is no small claims court in Italy

3) If both the attacker and Tip.it were in the U.S., for example, small claims court maxes out at $5,000, and probably much more than that was done

4) Proof is very hard to get, especially if the attackers are from different countries

Tip.It's servers are presently hosted in the US, but like you mentioned in points 3 and 4, it would be costly and proof is not easy to find, especially with hundreds of different bots attacking.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Best of luck getting through all this. All we can do from here is laugh at the schmuck who paid for this attack. It will cost him money, and we can all patiently sit out this minor annoyance until it fades away.

Keep up the good work Tip.it crew. We still love you <3:

Xena_Dragon.png

Wow, thats sad that someone would actually hire someone to try and shut down a site that hasnt done anything wrong in the first place. On the other hand though, its good to see the admin working hard to keep it up and running.

Spiffing work guys!!! :thumbsup:

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

It is kinda sad that someone HIRED and probably PAID a person to do this.

Dirty Swine, I hope he gets like 5 thousands Dollars in the bill for this. <.< OH well, keep up the Good Work :thumbsup: GO TIP.IT \'

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

Could this be related to the person who deleted the forum? If it's not that person then I wouldn't put it past [edited by administrator] to hire someone, [edited by administrator] is rather shifty as well, if you do find out who it is and they're in the US you can report them to the police for disorderly internet conduct.

* My opinion and not the opinion of any Tip.it staff, some people on other forums will take that the wrong way

Administrator note: Please do not name names in an accusatory fashion in the tip.it forums. ~Turtlefemm

This is horrible, but seriously anyone who would want to crash a simple fan site has either got too much money or is just weird in the head! :evil:

Also if it was in anyway possible, I would gladly run any app that would allow me to pool my computers power to the servers (kinda like the BOINC Manager). Who's with me?! \'

Also would these attacks in anyway affect the firefox add on? mostly cause while the item, bestiary, and quest search engines are working, the calculators and planners aren't.

hearty0.png

hearty0.png

Also if it was in anyway possible, I would gladly run any app that would allow me to pool my computers power to the servers (kinda like the BOINC Manager). Who's with me?! \'

If we can do that, I'd be glad to do it too. I don't have the fastest computer though, so I may not be a big help with that.

Amaranth_GTO.png