Clearing up the latest website problems.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime suspects have to be the guy that messed things up before, or possibly a gold site operator (hey, go DDos Jagex, it's their rules).

Only other point, maybe if going after the attack launcher isn't possible, maybe reporting a few of the bots (especially those where the ISP is more likely to resolve) would be good revenge.

A fan site? C'mon, they could have at least saved their money for attacking their old highschool for not letting them take art class.

Probably a conspiracy by the other fansites. They realised that Tip.It is way more awesome than they are and our community is much better so they formed an alliance to try and take us down! :ohnoes:

Joining forces to take down one opponent better than all of them combined? Reminds me of...

Getting a little paranoid aren't we?

Prime suspects have to be the guy that messed things up before, or possibly a gold site operator (hey, go DDos Jagex, it's their rules).

Only other point, maybe if going after the attack launcher isn't possible, maybe reporting a few of the bots (especially those where the ISP is more likely to resolve) would be good revenge.

Considering the nature of DDoS attacks, that would be just pointless. They are done by a botnet, a net of virus infected computers that are harnessed for purposes such as attacks on websites. The thing is, the person who owns an infected computer wouldn't be aware of the fact that their computer is used for it. For all you know, your computer might be infected and used for something similar. Reporting the IP would only have a use if you wanted to warn the user their computer was infected. You can't punish a victim for a crime they aren't aware of.

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Need a countdown? Don't know where to find one? http://www.pending.me.uk/

Retired TET leader.

isn't there some way of getting back at this guy?

good work tip.it crew for keeping this site up and running, lets hope you can get that extra security sooner rather than later though

Although I wish legal action could be taken against him, I'm sure he/she is upset enough at the fact that it was mostly in vain.

theoretically, you could hack some of the infected systems (if you disregard legality, of course) which probably are vulnerable (since they managed to keep a virus) and watch for incoming traffic on it, in order to find the master server (it sends instructions to the slaves[bots]). then you can work on finding out who's running the master and potentially discover the perepetrator.

This is where they want I should sign?

Instead of a firewall, tip.it should get a wall of fire. Incinerate those responsible. And then maybe serve them with a side of melted butter.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Instead of a firewall, tip.it should get a wall of fire. Incinerate those responsible. And then maybe serve them with a side of melted butter.

Butter is too fatty, and the people responsible probably have enough of that already.

I agree with Lordofrah1... They're too fatty and awful to be worth eating... Let us toss the jerks into a volcano instead, and please the volcano deity. :boohoo:

Or even better, we could pull out my personal arsenal and physically beat the jerks up for every hour of time that Tip.It's Staff has lost on this matter. That or we could manufacture some new weaponry and use it on them. :twisted:

(Note: I'm enjoying sadistic ideas here. Enjoy the laughs. :lol: ...)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Great job so far. Haven't had really any problems with load times. YSlow has only said 2-3s average, which is normal for me..

It seems as though as half the sites I visit regularly have been under DDoS in the past month lol....Maybe I'm a bad omen, because even the wow server i play on has gone down more than usual.

Oh well, in any case, great job, hope the people stop soon. Eventually they'll figure out they don't have the upper hand in this battle and move on. If only creating a botnet wasn't so easy these days, we wouldn't have to worry. Maybe the war on terror should turn to a war on gullible people who think they have 3,000 viruses and need to buy Windows Antivirus 2008? Save a lot of these things from happening

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Great job so far. Haven't had really any problems with load times. YSlow has only said 2-3s average, which is normal for me..

It seems as though as half the sites I visit regularly have been under DDoS in the past month lol....Maybe I'm a bad omen, because even the wow server i play on has gone down more than usual.

Oh well, in any case, great job, hope the people stop soon. Eventually they'll figure out they don't have the upper hand in this battle and move on. If only creating a botnet wasn't so easy these days, we wouldn't have to worry. Maybe the war on terror should turn to a war on gullible people who think they have 3,000 viruses and need to buy Windows Antivirus 2008? Save a lot of these things from happening

non sequitur?

people buying antivirus software can only help, unless they are downloading fake antivirus software or something

fishing.gif

Although I dont know who is attacking us... I'll just blame Sal's or RuneHQ until we find out... makes it more fun.

I'm leaning towards runehq. Never did like them, I posted on their forums once, but I got flamed. Meh. GOod job admins we love you <3: Thanks for putting in all the hard yards to keep tip it up and running, serving the world =D>

lampost_sig_stark.png

yay :)

not related to the drawball attacks maybe <.<

Actually... that might be just the opposite. :-k ... If there is someone out there who is bent on smashing us just because we want a spot on DrawBall too, then it would explain the massive knockout we took for a while. :( ... Although, TBH, I'd pin it more on our anti-RWT efforts here on Tip.It Forums, what with the RS Suggestions and all. Oh well, I guess something had to give. :wall:

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

yay :)

not related to the drawball attacks maybe <.<

Actually... that might be just the opposite. :-k ... If there is someone out there who is bent on smashing us just because we want a spot on DrawBall too, then it would explain the massive knockout we took for a while. :( ... Although, TBH, I'd pin it more on our anti-RWT efforts here on Tip.It Forums, what with the RS Suggestions and all. Oh well, I guess something had to give. :wall:

~D. V. Devnull

What anti-RWT suggestions? Did we invent Bounty Hunter or something?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Either someone wen't and bought some hefty servers to handel the sheer size of tip.it, or your hoster is just really good. Its kinda funny that someone is launching a large scale attack and failing so misribly. I hope it costs whoever hired the DDOS more than it costs you guys.

I do wonder, if the police were informed of a DDOS in progress (assuming there are high node count bots involved) if they migth investigate for free anyways since I belive some of the large ones have been taken down by police in several countries.