The 100 Greatest Guitar Solos Of All Time

Da Pirates

It might be flawed in a few spots, but I don't understand how it can be "epic fail" as you describe it. Do you have a solo in mind you would like to see on the list? I know I have at least one, maybe two. I'm really getting sick of 13 year-old internet morons finding pictures of Captain Kirk facepalming or something that says FAIL, and applying it to something that might just be slightly misconstrued or incorrect. The only thing that "fails" here is you. I'm sure someone of your musical knowledge (judging by the Guitar Hero signature you have) should have obviously been appointed to come up with this list.

this is ironically funny.

anyways, most manilla road solos and some others would be up there. i actually would keep hendrix's solos, but that's about it. besides that, solos suck/boring, etc.

p915h.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only solo i was expecting to see in that list was the one in Perry Mason but its not there so... #-o . and cmon highway star? top 20? thats by far the worst solo ive ever heard in my life along with the one in As I Am.

Why even try with that idiot? Honestly, there is no point whatsoever. I'd get better replies if I argued with a tree stump.

I'm sorry, but I just get a little irked when people just put a picture up that says "fail" instead of staging an argument against what was said and backing it up with fact and or opinion. Had he said "I don't think this list is good at all because..." and then named off a few reasons, I would have left it alone because that's his opinion. I just get really sick of people overusing "fail" or motivational posters.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm sorry, but I just get a little irked when people just put a picture up that says "fail" instead of staging an argument against what was said and backing it up with fact and or opinion. Had he said "I don't think this list is good at all because..." and then named off a few reasons, I would have left it alone because that's his opinion. I just get really sick of people overusing "fail" or motivational posters.

true, but it's the internet. :]

p915h.gif

I am not surprised that Stair Way To Heaven is Number 1. Jimmy Page is an awesome guitarist, and that solo really shows what he is made of. I wonder how many attempts it took to get right...

EDIT: Slash is not on the list :shock: :shock: :|

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I am not surprised that Stair Way To Heaven is Number 1. Jimmy Page is an awesome guitarist, and that solo really shows what he is made of. I wonder how many attempts it took to get right...

EDIT: Slash is not on the list :shock: :shock: :|

He is .. Twice.

November rain, Sweet child o mine

Eh, couldn't really agree with the list. Lazy should've been higher up, at least higher than Highway Star. Stairway to Heaven definitely deserves a place in the top ten, but probably not number one...Freebird should've been around the mid-20's. I kept hoping for Yes, and I wasn't really disappointed by Starship Trooper, but Clap would've been a much better choice, or maybe Mood for a Day. 21st Centruy Schizoid Man definitely deserved a higher spot, and Working Man should've been in the top 10...that's about it as far as my concerns go. Oh, and Kurt Cobain shouldn't have been anywhere on the list.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

But it's music :]

noise my friend, noise. :[

Tut, tut, tut, you should know that Noise is a sub-genre of Grindcore. :]

What? No it isn't. Noise is a subgenre of experimental music or whatever garbage.

Which is pretty much Grindcore. True Grindcore that is. :P

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

What? No it isn't. Noise is a subgenre of experimental music or whatever garbage.

i thought grindcore had its roots in crust and hardcore punk, like discharge and early napalm death (pre-scum).

p915h.gif

First off, I'd like to apologize for the spam-ish post. I actually intended on editing it when i got back from the concert that NOM mentioned that I was at, but considering I got back from it past midnight and school starts at 8 the next morning, I went to bed. Forgive me of that. ;)

So pretty much my reasoning for the "epic fail" post is that the list in my opinion was very....what's the word....uncreative?

Anyone can pick the most popular songs, but that doesn't necessarily make them the "best". A lot of times, a song/solo can become so overplayed and sometimes butchered by bad guitarists trying to emulate the original, that the feeling can be lost. I consider a solo great if people don't try to reproduce it because they know that they will be unable to create the same feelings that the original one expressed.

So, let's take a look at the top 10:

Yes, I do realize that a lot of what I say will not be agreed upon, but that's the beauty of opinions, right?

1. Stairway to Heaven - Great song, Classic song, Good solo, Good Feeling, but not my #1 by any regards. People try and fail to play this solo all the time. It's also overplayed on the radio. Heck, it's the last slow dance song at my school's dances. (No, seriously, it is)

2. Eruption - The pinnacle of "fast solos" in classic rock. But when you boil it down, it's just a bunch of tapping and "fastness". There isn't a feeling in every note.

3. Freebird - There isn't much to say about this one. It's a beautiful solo that's been played over and over again. It's lost some of the magic that it had when I heard it for the first time.

4. Comfortaly Numb - This is what I'm talking about when I say, "put feeling in every note". David Gilmour created a masterpiece that isn't often covered by your local bar band. This is one solo that I agree with the position on the list.

5. Along The Watchtower - I'm not even going to touch this one. Hendrix is an amazing guitarist, hands down.

6. November Rain - In my opinion, Slash is an overrated guitarist. I'm sorry. I've just never been a fan of his playing.

7. One - Even though Range_This11 noted my signature when estimating how I gain my musical knowledge, believe it or not, I don't even like many of the songs on Guitar Hero. *gasp* NOM can quote me on this. I talk all the time on how some people have narrow minds by only liking songs from Guitar Hero. I can assure you that this is not the case for me.

That said, I don't see why One is in the top 10. I've heard much more enjoyable solos from Metallica in other songs. This is also an overused song now because of Guitar Hero.

8. Hotel California - Hmmm...this is a tough one. On one hand it's one of my favorite Eagles songs, but on the other, it just doesn't have a solo worthy of the top 10. Maybe a little further down.

9. Crazy Train - This one is similar to the One situation. One of my favorite Ozzy songs, but not the best solo from them at all. Still a good one, however.

10. Crossroads - I'm not going to say anything about this one because I've never listened to much Clapton before.

So that's how I feel about the top ten. A lot of good solos, but most of them in the wrong spots. Some of them don't even deserve to be in the top 10 in my opinion. Here are some of the other problems I have with the non-top 10s:

23. Bulls On Parade - Morello is a very gifted guitarists and maybe one of the most creative, but I have trouble considering this a "solo". Yes, his guitar part fills the portion of the song that would be for a solo, and some may argue that it is, but to me it's nothing more than screeching and scratching.

26. Smell Like Teen Spirit - Maybe the best song of our generation, but just not a stellar solo.

There are others, but this post is too long as it is. ;)

Maybe the "Epic Fail" statement was a bit brash, but there are many portions of this list that I have problems with. And it also was an inside joke between NOM and I. :P

Just a couple more comments: anyone notice how there aren't any RHCP? John is a beautiful guitarist that has grown to put a feeling in most/all of the notes in his solos. I think a few of their songs should be on there.

In final, I'd like to share a bit from the concert I went to last night. Some of his playing is better than the solos up there.

[hide=Indigenous]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3g1J58qcdE&feature=related [/hide]

Note: Thanks NOM for defending me while I couldn't post. :thumbup:

EDIT: Noticed that my youtube link may not be working. Here's a link if it doesn't load. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3g1J58qcdE&feature=related

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

i thought grindcore had its roots in crust and hardcore punk, like discharge and early napalm death (pre-scum).

It did, but after Napalm Death it just turned into total experimentation from a load of bands, such as Birdflesh for example. Grindcore has a lot of sub-genres within it, noise happens to be one of them.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Wah!?!?!? I couldn't understand a word of that... If your quoting from wikipedia, then it's probably wrong, like some guy who thinks they know everything changes it to how they see fit.

Meh, most people I know categorise Noise as a form of Grindcore and it makes sense why they would.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Wah!?!?!? I couldn't understand a word of that... If your quoting from wikipedia, then it's probably wrong, like some guy who thinks they know everything changes it to how they see fit.

Meh, most people I know categorise Noise as a form of Grindcore and it makes sense why they would.

im not quoting from wikipedia and putting noise under grindcore is ludicrous when most of it is garbage praised by indie kids or pointless. unless we speak of different genres.

p915h.gif

I don't think I've ever seen one of those lists where Stairway to Heaven isn't number one.

Now, I'm not a huge music buff, and I like that song too, but surely sometimes people will think there's something better?

And is the list based on difficulty, originality, or what? What's "greatest"?

snowsigyy7.png

I don't think I've ever seen one of those lists where Stairway to Heaven isn't number one.

Now, I'm not a huge music buff, and I like that song too, but surely sometimes people will think there's something better?

And is the list based on difficulty, originality, or what? What's "greatest"?

Not A Rick Roll.

I would put van halen eruption above stairway to heaven just as a personal preferance.I think eruption is something that when you first listen to it youre slackjawed and in awe, and when you/ see it performed (see:youtube music) its just as fantastic as you imagine it.

Its kind of haunting the stairway to heaven opener though.

tifsdac6mc.gif