Defender of Varrock Quest Guide (Storyless version)

chenw

Items required:

Spade, Pickaxe, Lightsource, Sextant, Watch, Chart, armor and weapons to fight level 85 undead.

Items recommended: Amulet of Salve (e)

Ability to Cast Ancient Teleports, specifically Lassar and Carrallangar Teleports, if you do not have the access to those, Game Necklace and Amulet of glory suffices. Varrock Teleport (1 suffices)

Step 1:

Items needed: Carrallanger Teleport runes or Amulet

To start this quest, talk to Captain Rovin in the top of the North West watchtower of Varrock Castle, he will ask you to investigate what his scout, Hartwin has seen in the Graveyard of Shadows. Make your way to the Graveyard of Shadows (doesn't matter what method you use, he will follow you regardlessly). Once inside the fences, talk to Hartwin, he will get you started to track down where the zombie went. This part is very similar to Tracking in Hunter skill, requiring you to find where the zombie hoard is by tracking their footprints.

You will find that you will be looking very hard at where the tracks leads to, and somewhere along the way you will find that one of the features you investigate will give you a key. Once you find this key, keep tracking until you find a path that leads into the Chaos Temple. The game will tell you that the zombie trails ends just at the entrance of the lava enclosure. It will be long before you get here, and there are many trails that loop around the same area, making it look like the zombies are deliberately trying to stop people from tracking you.

Part 2:

Items required: Armor, Food, 3 Empty inventory spaces, key found in the previous section

Once you are geared up to defend against some level 85 zombies, head back to the chaos temple. You will find there is a trapdoor behind the altar, enter it, and you will find dungeon packed with zombies. Head south for now and click on the balcony, a cutscene will ensue, revealing a previously known, but dead, character.

Head deeper into the tunnel and you will find a door with several empty bottles lying around the walls, pick 3 empty bottles up. Then proceed to kill the zombies that has been attacking you up to now. Once you kill them they will leave behind a red mist, use an empty bottle on the mist to fill it. Once you have all 3 bottles filled, go through the door, another cutscene will ensue.

After the cutscene, the mists from your bottle will dissappear. To proceed to the next room, kill 3 zombies again and collect their mist, proceed through another door. There is another Balcony which you can click on in this room, do so, and another cutscene will ensue. Hartwin will give you a Varrock Teleport Tablet. Use it and report back to Captain Rovin.

Part 3:

Items required: Pickaxe, Spade, Watch, Sextant, Chart, Light Source and Varrock Teleport

Captain Rovin will ask you to find the secrets to the Shield of Arrav, and your character will suggest that s/he will talk to Thurgo, the only known surviving Imcamdo Dwarf. He can be found south of Port Sarim, make sure you have a pickaxe with you. If you wish to use the Fairy Rings, the Code is AIQ.

Talk to Thurgo and he will mention of a magical Forge that has been long lost after an incident which caused a major cave in, and he will give you a scroll with coordinates of where it is exactly. Once you have the scroll, head down into the dungeon near him and mine 1 Blurite ore.

Once you have the ore, head to Ice mountain. Use the Tip it's treasure trail locator tool to find the location on the scroll, the correct spot should not be more than a few squares away from the Oracle's Tent. Dig the spot with a spade to uncover the snow, then use a pickaxe on it to reveal a passage. Jump in.

In the underground tunnel you will find a blind dwarf sage, talk to him about that you need to use the magical forge, and he will ask you to put a blurite ore into it. Do so and tell him you have it in. A cutscene will follow and they will tell you the true secret of Shield of Arrav, as well as the already happening attack on Varrock.

Teleport back to Varrock, and bank.

Part 4

Items needed: Armor and food to fight against some more Level 85 Zombies, 2 Inventory spaces.

Head back to the castle and you will find that the Castle is already under major attack. Talk to Captain Rovin and after the conversation, he will give you the restored Shield of Arrav. Head to the Royal library and talk to Reldo (if you are finding that the zombies are distraction, close the door and kill everything that you can kill in the room). He will tell you that there is a scroll on the floor that has the name of the 8 Elders of Varrock. There is an overturned table just south of the Varrock Consensus and on the ground near it there is a pile of scrolls you can search. Read the scroll, and if you compare the names to the consensus, there are 7 names in total, as well as their current living descendents:

Tarrlo Remanis -> Roald Remanis (King of Varrock)

Damar Leptoc -> Draul Leptoc (Juliet's father)

Khom Prysin -> Sir Prysin (in the Castle)

Dathero Raispher -> Aeonisig Raispher (King's advisor)

Marv Halen -> Haig Halen (The Curator)

Ramone Ravitz -> Horvik Ravitz (The armor smith)

Laris Gontamue -> Romeo Gontamue (Found in the square)

Talk each one of them until you find one that tells you that his ancestry was adopted. (It maybe difficult for you to talk to the ones in the Castle, since the Zombies are constant distraction, so lock them in a room and kill everything before talking to them.) His surname was not due to heritage, but due to adoption, and he will tell you that the last true Family member was a woman and was married into the Fitzharmon family. Go back to the consensus, and you will find the only Fitzharmon alive at the moment and currently resides in Varrock is none other than Dimintheis, the person whom you started Family Crest with.

Speak to him and he will wield the shield. Both of you will automatically head back to the Castle and all the zombies will be completely destroyed without much effort. The culprits behind these will retreat back into the wilderness and you will end up in Captain Rovin's Tower. Speak to him for the quest reward

[hide=Reward]ScreenShot020.png

2 Quest Points

15,000 Hunter XP

10,000 Smithing XP

10,000 Mining XP

10,000 Defence XP

2,000 Agility XP[/hide]

After the quest, you can go back to the Varrock Museum to get more Kudos and a 1k XP lamp

Corrections and suggestions welcome

Credits: Neko Negde, StGerolf, Vlad the Old

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

A tree in this area will give you a key, once you find this key, there should be a visible track leading back south west, follow it to the chaos temple surrounded by lava.

The key I found was not in the area shown in the picture at all, but in the other area filled with trees a bit earlier in the search. It seems that *any* inspectable tree in the vincinity of the footsteps trail might give you the key you need.

Xena_Dragon.png

So it may seem that the location of the key is also random...

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

My key was in the grove of trees slightly north west of the Chaos Temple :)

mykeylocationuq4.th.jpgthpix.gif

And my descendant was Juliet Leptoc

bramady2xg.jpg

Ha! RS name is Bramady. Yell gidday if you see her as she's probably just risen from the dead or heading off to die. Blimmin cat should stay home....out of trouble. And that nice Mr Pup found her again. Ain't he choice!

Khom Prysin -> Sir Enhtor Prysin, was the one who was adopted for me.

It's completely random. I had Romeo.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Good guide.

After quest completion, go to the Museum, go up one flight of stairs, and talk to Historian Minas.

Tell him that you might have some information that might be of use in his displays.

You'll tell him of the whole zombie invasion.

He rewards you with a 1k experience lamp and more Kudos.

2bcacd2197.png

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."

-George W. Bush

Take a redberry pie with you when you go see Ramarno. Being the pie-eating Imcando dwarf he is, will reward you with 1000 smithing xp.

Alas, the forge seems to be useless after the quest.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Take a redberry pie with you when you go see Ramarno. Being the pie-eating Imcando dwarf he is, will reward you with 1000 smithing xp.

Can you do this after the quest?

tim_chenw2.png

Can you do this after the quest?

Wouldn't know; I did it during the quest (read it on RSOF).

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Yes, he still gives out the smithing exp AFTER doing the quest I just went there.

redberrypiefy8.png

awardsmithingrw8.png

Also if you go into the underground tunnel without a light source it will say something like " Tiny little insects swarm around you. " Hitpoints will go down I teled out cause I was dieing. :ohnoes:

queenvalerie.png