Racism in France? Oprah rejected from Herm�������¨s

Smavey

Well i just saw this on TV and i was kind of shocked.

Anyways, Oprah was in France and she tried to go to a fameous store in Paris called "Herm̮̬̉̉s" and got regected by the "bouncer" to get into the store (because she was a visible minority). She was well dressed but because she was not recognized by the people there as Oprah from the US. Anyways she talked to the bouncer and the store manager and still wasen't let into the store, even though she could see people shopping inside.

"(CNN) -- Luxury store Hermes on Wednesday apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away last week, saying that its Paris store was closed to set up for a public relations event when the talk show host stopped by."

http://www2.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/ ... h.apology/

All i have to say is i heart rich high class french people :?

The first time I saw the name of you post I thought of the weird al song "Genuis in France". And I though of a new name: "Racist in France".

Im sorry, I had to post that :lol: It struck me as mildly amusing.

About the oprah thing. My friend was on a tram with Frence people once and he said they were really snobby, so (from what I have heard) it doesnt surprise me.

lope6jw0.jpg

The first time I saw the name of you post I thought of the weird al song "Genuis in France". And I though of a new name: "Racist in France".

About the oprah thing. My friend was on a tram with Frence people once and he said they were really snobby, so (from what I have heard) it doesnt surprise me.

I was on a train with Americans once, they were all lazy...

Moral of the story? Don't generalize

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I was on a train with Americans once, they were all lazy...

Moral of the story? Don't generalize

How can you be lazy on a train????

Any way, thats not the only thing I have heard, and I didnt say it was. If I did say its the only thing I heard about the French then you could say im generalizing but im not. I know these people who lived in minnesota, and they are living in France at the moment and will be there for two more years. They long to be back in The twin cities, because they dislike france and part of it is because of how the people act there..

you didnt go telling Smavey not to generalize when he was talking about rich high class french people.

lope6jw0.jpg

I don't like her show much either, but I wouldn't be so rude as to refuse her entrance to my store. :P

There's racism no matter where you go. Whether you're in France, Mississippi, or your own hometown, you're going to find people who discriminate against people simply because of their lineage or looks. It's sad, but true. In my opinion, the best thing to do about it is to lead by example - show people that it's better not to treat people as inferior because of something as unimportant as race. We're all human, after all.

And if people continue to turn Oprah away from stores because she's black, she can just go home and take comfort in her billion dollars. xD

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

And if people continue to turn Oprah away from stores because she's black, she can just go home and take comfort in her billion dollars. xD
Exactly. She should ask them how much their store is worth then fill a pool with that amount of dollar bills. Then send them a video of her swimming in it. Just out of spite.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

OMG. Yes there is racism there, here, EVERYWHERE. Yes french people are snobs, so are Americans, canadians, asians, dutch, etc. Every place has snobs, but no... not ALL french people are snobs (probably less snobs in france than in america though...)

(A) The fact that someone in France might have discriminated doesn't mean all the French discriminate. Start reading something else than the godforsaken pro-Bush newspapers who have nothing better to do than bash the French for not agreeing with Dubya.

(B) The story isn't even true. She was not allowed in because the store was closed and a private event was going on inside. Surveillance camera tapes examined by outsiders have confirmed this account. So, in short, whomever started spreading this is simply trying to make a big misery out of a totally normal thing.

(A) The fact that someone in France might have discriminated doesn't mean all the French discriminate. Start reading something else than the godforsaken pro-Bush newspapers who have nothing better to do than bash the French for not agreeing with Dubya.

Those newspapers bug me too :?

So, in short, whomever started spreading this is simply trying to make a big misery out of a totally normal thing.

I think that was Oprah...

On June 14, Winfrey arrived at the Hermes shop at 24 Faubourg Saint-Honore. The street is well traveled by tourists and the well-to-do because of its abundance of famous designer boutiques. In the first (and untrue, both sides say) version of the incident, reported Monday in the New York Post, Hermes staff members stationed at the door failed to recognize Winfrey, as she was not in full glamour makeup with her TV hair. They denied her entry and, the gossip item claimed, told her that they have been "having a problem with North Africans lately."

really, the case was they didn't know who she was, a multi-billionaire celeb, which is kinda tough when she isn't all dressed up (shes like 50+?)

Now that's what I call breaking news.

They didn't recognize Oprah so she didn't get into to the shop which was closed to set up for a public relations event. Yea, that's racism, no doubt about it.

People get verbally and phisycally harmed each day by racism and they're talking about Oprah not getting into a freaking clothing shop. Like she hasn't got enough clothing to cloth an entire continent.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

(probably less snobs in france than in america though...)

where did you come up with that :P

France has 60.7 million people. The U.S. has 295 million. (Source: BBC) Considering that we've got alot more people in America, it makes sense to assume that we also have more snobs. :P

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

I don't know who is saying the truth, but either way the store was shut and that should've been the end of it.

If she cbf to go to a store during it's business hours then tought luck for her.

I highly doubt any other store which had just closed for the day would let her, or any other celb, in after it's operating hours on the fly.*

Makes me wonder what other celebs think they own the rest of us and that they can do what ever they feel like just because they have money :ugh:

Personally, I wouldn't care if Bill Gates turned up to my business (assuming I had one), after I closed, wanting to shop. I wouldn't open for anyone one else, having a wad of cash and being famous isn't going to change that fact that the only time they can shop is during business hours, just like everyone else.

---

*I don't know if they (Hermes) might've let Oprah in if they weren't setting up a PR. Could very well be possible since she missed by 15 minutes. But in the end, they're just another customer, and to quote Ami:

"If you're gonna run a business you SHOULD keep it open for all, and CLOSE it for all."

Although, TBH, I'd have no problem accomodating them if they requested to shop outside normal business hours in advance, but not on-the-fly.

Oprah obviously had plans that night - she should've gone to the Hermes earlier or sent one of her people down sometime during the day instead of leaving it to the last minute.

---

Cliffs: Herems did the right thing. Oprahs ego got butt hurt and call racism.

"(CNN) -- Luxury store Hermes on Wednesday apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away last week, saying that its Paris store was closed to set up for a public relations event when the talk show host stopped by."

I hate how they always put that, because it really doesn't mean anything. They should't apoligize to you once they find out who you are. I mean, if some other person got rejected from the store, would they apoligize? Maybe, but would that really mean anything either? And it's not like they would give any publicity when doing it.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I hate how they always put that, because it really doesn't mean anything. They should't apoligize to you once they find out who you are. I mean, if some other person got rejected from the store, would they apoligize? Maybe, but would that really mean anything either? And it's not like they would give any publicity when doing it.

It's just polite to apologize if people feel offended. They didn't intend to offend her, she was offended, they apologize. It's called being civilized.

It's just polite to apologize if people feel offended. They didn't intend to offend her, she was offended, they apologize. It's called being civilized.

No he's totally right, only because she can, and obviously did, make a huge fuss about this calling it racism and whatever, ROFL!

I work at a stationers in town, loadsa people come upto our shop before its open or after it's closed and try and get in, i say sorry were closed, they go away, simple as that. I would wet myself with laughter if they started shouting im a racist and that they're gona post this all over the tv/news.

I absolutely HATE celebrities like this, power goes to they're head and they forget what they actually are and what they'll always be... people like the rest of us. Rich or poor, old or young etc. etc. no-one has the right to demand something that wouldn't be offered to another equal person.

Sorry just annoys the hell into me.