So what does a Scientologist believe?

Will H

I find it funny how similar Scientology is to every other religion. There's such a fine line between cult and religion, most people can't tell a difference. Just because a religion doesn't require a fee of some type, doesn't mean it isn't there. Doesn't everyone feel obligated to make a "donation" when the basket is passed around at church? I mean, they blackmail you with theoretical torture in the afterlife if you don't follow their rules.

So I guess what I'm saying is Scientology is based on the same concept of every other religion.

Where did you find that heap of crap you call information? :|

You can't say that he doesn't make a valid point.. At least when it comes to christianity and churchgoers, the tithe is stunningly similar to "mandatory donations" of scientology. You get publicly shamed if you don't chip in a single dime, and you get pressured into giving money to them, heaven forbid if they call old ladies by phone to raise funds, they really wont say 'no'.

Just back a few hundred years ago, it was required to pay a bribe to a catholic priest in order to get absolved of sin in confession. (Leading to protests against the church and ultimately, factions such as protestantism that refused to believe such things)

Other religions don't really have that concept though. Islam does have zakat, which in the Qur'an is ruled to be 1/40th of your salary that you should give to poor people, but not a lot of people obey it... And I can't find a similar philosophy in buddhism, hinduism, shinto, etc.

Well, as a general rule fo thumb, a cult has closed doors. Now while this is sort-of the case with Scientology, we also know a lot about it. And to be honest, I see cults as usually, off shoots of religions, that turn form the religion, and create their own. I can't remember the exact name of this cutl, but it was an off shoot of Christianity, and they went to a secluded spot, where they were supposed to live "happily" but people wanted to leave. But they couldn't, and so when people came to investigate, disaster ensued, and to thew horror of all of us, (then and present) the leader Jones basically told everyone to kill themselves, by od'ing the kool-aid they drank, some drankj it willing to die for their leader, while others had to have it injected into them. Everyone was killed, including the children. Now, this all started as a Christian church and went deeper and deeper, but overall, in no way did Jonestown reflect any part of Christianity. What I'm getting at is, or at least what I'm trying to say\show you guys is there is a distinct difference. Cults are a must must must secret hidden no kiss and tell sorta thing. While Religions can be very open.

And also, I'm really trying not to bash Catholics, but back then the heads of church wewre pretty greedy in some places.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny how similar Scientology is to every other religion. There's such a fine line between cult and religion, most people can't tell a difference. Just because a religion doesn't require a fee of some type, doesn't mean it isn't there. Doesn't everyone feel obligated to make a "donation" when the basket is passed around at church? I mean, they blackmail you with theoretical torture in the afterlife if you don't follow their rules.

So I guess what I'm saying is Scientology is based on the same concept of every other religion.

Terrible comparison.

-The donations are very, VERY different in size. In churches, it's a basket where people usually donate $10 at the most. In Scientology, it's hundreds of thousands of dollars.

-The donations aren't required to learn everything about Christianity. In Scientology, you MUST pay to learn about certain things (such as Xenu).

-Some people feel uncomfortable when they do put some cash into the basket, because they get a few eyes on them. Well public mass isn't mandatory. Church doesn't necessarily have to be a public worship session. You can have church in your house with your family, or even by yourself.

Well, as a general rule fo thumb, a cult has closed doors. Now while this is sort-of the case with Scientology, we also know a lot about it. And to be honest, I see cults as usually, off shoots of religions, that turn form the religion, and create their own. I can't remember the exact name of this cutl, but it was an off shoot of Christianity, and they went to a secluded spot, where they were supposed to live "happily" but people wanted to leave. But they couldn't, and so when people came to investigate, disaster ensued, and to thew horror of all of us, (then and present) the leader Jones basically told everyone to kill themselves, by od'ing the kool-aid they drank, some drankj it willing to die for their leader, while others had to have it injected into them. Everyone was killed, including the children. Now, this all started as a Christian church and went deeper and deeper, but overall, in no way did Jonestown reflect any part of Christianity. What I'm getting at is, or at least what I'm trying to say\show you guys is there is a distinct difference. Cults are a must must must secret hidden no kiss and tell sorta thing. While Religions can be very open.

And also, I'm really trying not to bash Catholics, but back then the heads of church wewre pretty greedy in some places.

You're thinking of the cult, the "Peoples Temple" and what's been known as the Jonestown Massacre.

It was founded by Jim Jones (not the rapper ;) ) and actually still exists today. It is very, very small though.

-The donations are very, VERY different in size. In churches, it's a basket where people usually donate $10 at the most. In Scientology, it's hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Different size, same goal. I'm not saying Scientology isn't an extreme example, I'm just saying there are similarities.

The donations aren't required to learn everything about Christianity. In Scientology, you MUST pay to learn about certain things (such as Xenu).

That's because Christianity isn't as straight forward as Scientology. Scientology has strict rules and entry conditions such as a fee, where as a religion like Christianity relies on social pressures and fear to acquire followers and wealth.

Some people feel uncomfortable when they do put some cash into the basket, because they get a few eyes on them. Well public mass isn't mandatory. Church doesn't necessarily have to be a public worship session. You can have church in your house with your family, or even by yourself.

True.

Where did you find that heap of crap you call information?

Self observations/opinions. Similar to your post, really.

untitled-1.png

Scientology are a bunch of Demon-worshippers

Honestly,there was an articli in the Sp!ts about it

they believe ADHD is by wrong food and too much sugar

me,as a person having ADHD himself,finds thatsa big bunch of [cabbage]

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Scientology are a bunch of Demon-worshippers

Honestly,there was an articli in the Sp!ts about it

they believe ADHD is by wrong food and too much sugar

me,as a person having ADHD himself,finds thatsa big bunch of [cabbage]

That sounds like diabetes.

[hide=Quote]

Terrible comparison.

-The donations aren't required to learn everything about Christianity. In Scientology, you MUST pay to learn about certain things (such as Xenu).

-Some people feel uncomfortable when they do put some cash into the basket, because they get a few eyes on them. Well public mass isn't mandatory. Church doesn't necessarily have to be a public worship session. You can have church in your house with your family, or even by yourself.

You're thinking of the cult, the "Peoples Temple" and what's been known as the Jonestown Massacre.

It was founded by Jim Jones (not the rapper ;) ) and actually still exists today. It is very, very small though.

Thats what it was! I completely forgot the name of it, I saw a documentary on it, it was disgusting to watch.[/hide]

Different size, same goal. I'm not saying Scientology isn't an extreme example, I'm just saying there are similarities.

The donations aren't required to learn everything about Christianity. In Scientology, you MUST pay to learn about certain things (such as Xenu).

That's because Christianity isn't as straight forward as Scientology. Scientology has strict rules and entry conditions such as a fee, where as a religion like Christianity relies on social pressures and fear to acquire followers and wealth.

Some people feel uncomfortable when they do put some cash into the basket, because they get a few eyes on them. Well public mass isn't mandatory. Church doesn't necessarily have to be a public worship session. You can have church in your house with your family, or even by yourself.

True.

Where did you find that heap of crap you call information?

Actually, I tithe $40-50 every two weeks, not alot. But you're supposed to tithe 10%, we do that because we believe God gave us the money, and it's just to pay respect, but ALSO, tithe is too help pay for the church. THe tithe is how the Pastor almost always is paid, and how the church pays it's bills. And fyi, that's an awful church if they think that if you don't tithe. No offence, but try to look for another, at my church, if someone doesn't tithes, no one notices, and when they don't, they just realize that maybe times are tough for them. And with Scientology, I highly doubt they need 100,000's of dollars to pay for a church.

Here's an off-shoot question:

Don't they realize this was made from a sci-fi book apparently? I mean, no matter how much you love Star Wars, Star Wars is Star Wars, and it'll never be real. Why would they believe stuff from a Sci-Fi book?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

You're forgetting how many churches of various faiths around the world donate extreme portions of their money and volunteer work to charities. While you're right, there are similarities, you could use that logic to make anything sound as bad as anything else.

There are very few people that consider themselves purely "Christian". Please talk about which denomination is bullying its followers for its golden crosses and toilets.

True.

Okay.

And that's why debates on religion never work. Not even with Scientology, although that's a bit better of an example to debate.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Aw, you guys stole what I was going to say.

Well...

-At my church, they actually say that if you haven't accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you should (could?) let the bag pass. Not that non-Christians are banned from giving offering, but that's kind of...Encouraging them NOT to tithe.

-The money earned in tithes and offerings are used to pay for the bills, pastors, and support/pay missionaries. And through the missionaries, a bunch of people.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

And such topics can bring about thought-provoking discussion, but there usually isn't a conclusion to which one prooved correct.

You'll find that most debates don't end in "proven" conclusions. Conclusions, especially those about metaphysics and morality, do not need to be reached by means of empirical evidence. It's not unheard of for a theist to turn atheist after thoroughly debating the mere logic and reasoning of god's existence.

And I used the "Does God exist" example as it is the most common religious debate, or at least from what I've seen.

As your definition shows, the question of god's existence has nothing to say about religion. Certain religions may include the question of god's existence, but that is not the only question that is asked in a true religious debate.

There could be substance to it, but not a concrete conclusion. There probably never will be.

I disagree. Conclusions about god are made all the time through the process of discourse and critical thinking. Whether or not the conclusion can be supported by concrete empirical evidence is irrelevant. To illustrate my point: I've come to the conclusion that flying pink unicorns do not exist, but I cannot prove that they do not exist.

Whilst I believe Scientology to be a silly cult (yeah cult). I don't believe that the idea of extraterrestrials being on the Earth that unbelievable. Hell, imagine a civilisation that has potentially millions of years of advancement.

Besides, with all the planets and all the solar systems in the universe, you'd be incredibly naive to believe that we're the only planet with life.

Infact, some high ranked military personnel who have served at Groom Lake, etc, have publicly said that they have come into contact with extra terrestrials.

if53pv.png

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Don't they realize this was made from a sci-fi book apparently? I mean, no matter how much you love Star Wars, Star Wars is Star Wars, and it'll never be real. Why would they believe stuff from a Sci-Fi book?

Same reasons people believe something from a fantasy book.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Let's talk about the whole donation thing. I'm Catholic and while donations are always preferred (after all, very little mandatory money comes through besides a small sum from catholic schools), they're not always required. Most churches will require you to donate something, after all, it's not very fair that you come for free, take advatage of church celebrations, and don't give anything to the church in return. My family has forgotten to bring money to church before, no one gives those glaring "how dare you?!" looks when you don't put money, the ushers just move on to the next person. Anyone who makes a big deal out of someone who doesn't donate to one mass is an idiot, there are hundreds of reasons why it occured.

And it's not like scientology where you have to donate in order to find the truth about your faith. You can come to mass without donating every time, and you don't have to fork over massive sums of cash when you do. There are huge rifts between christianity and scientology, I can't believe anyone is suggesting a mass collection basket is similar to selling DVD's about the secrets of lord Xenu and Hubbard.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Let's talk about the whole donation thing. I'm Catholic and while donations are always preferred (after all, very little mandatory money comes through besides a small sum from catholic schools), they're not always required. Most churches will require you to donate something, after all, it's not very fair that you come for free, take advatage of church celebrations, and don't give anything to the church in return. My family has forgotten to bring money to church before, no one gives those glaring "how dare you?!" looks when you don't put money, the ushers just move on to the next person. Anyone who makes a big deal out of someone who doesn't donate to one mass is an idiot, there are hundreds of reasons why it occured.

And it's not like scientology where you have to donate in order to find the truth about your faith. You can come to mass without donating every time, and you don't have to fork over massive sums of cash when you do. There are huge rifts between christianity and scientology, I can't believe anyone is suggesting a mass collection basket is similar to selling DVD's about the secrets of lord Xenu and Hubbard.

Donations are voluntary, with Scientology the fees are compulsory.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

Donations are voluntary, with Scientology the fees are compulsory.

The social stigma with not tithing is pretty devastating especially if it's a close-knit community or a smaller town, at least when I went to church with my grandfather before age 12, *everyone* gave something. In all reality church donations/tithes aren't 'compulsory', but 'expected', which doesn't make it so voluntary at all.