Don't buy a Dell! (And I need help)

Laura

wow, nice connections, lol.

about the whole HP thing, my current computer, and my old computer (both prebuilts my mom bought me and my sister) have for the most part been fine. no major problems other than high price for low specs. never really had to call the CS or anything though, and i do need a new tower only because this one is old and outdated. it's like 5 years old now. i was going to go with the dell tower building thing on their website for a fairly good deal on a tower, i don't know anything about building a computer so i can't do it myself. HP isn't bad though, and i've not really heard much bad about dell. i think you just kinda got caught in a bad place.

Well, if you're going with a Dell, don't buy an ATI 3450 graphics card. Lot of problems there giving me BSOD, and the drivers supplied by either company doesn't fix it.

I know that alot of people who have bought it on different forums, and they don't have your problem. Just because you didn't get yours working doesn't mean it will be the same deal for someone else.

I'm using an ATI card while writing this, and it's working fine.

Sure, there were a couple of mishaps with the (was 8.11 or 8.12? i forget) driver for certain particular system setups, but that's been patched. You should always uninstall the drivers and then install the latests one or try an older driver (ok, in your case this was not possible).

Well, I Googled the specific error message, and thousands of people were getting it. But I saved the screenshot of the error to the Dell HDD, and It's not possible to boot it up. It was the 3000 series from what I was reading.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, a few days after I booted the machine up, a screeching noise hit my ear. And, no thanks to the technical support (which were, despite some horror stories, nice and prompt) I opened up BIOS to shut down/slow/speed up every part in the computer. It originally testes the CPU fan at ~4,800 at the time - before the test. Whenever the CPU fan hit ~1,800RPM, it stopped. And then, the absolute max BIOS could turn the fan up to was ~4,500RPM, so it's almost as if the fan is overclocked to run at ~4,800. So, I told Dell this, and they took my word and sent a replacement fan. Now, although it happens less frequently since I replaced the fan, I do still get the noise.

Another problem - display drivers. Randomly, my system will pull up and error box (and cause the monitor to go black and display vertical white lines across the screen), saying that the display drivers have failed and that they have been successfully recovered. Sometimes, it doesn't do this at all and I get BSOD'ed. So, I took this to Dell again, and they told me to update my drivers. No problem, seems logical. I did that, and the drivers failed to install fully, and each CS agent I talk to tells me the same thing - to reinstall drivers. I've done so five times without luck, in safe mode, and this problem persists.

And finally, I get the fan noise again and contact Dell. They tell me to update BIOS, like three other CS agents have done. But oddly enough, they have a new update for it. I download and install BIOS, and and error comes up [(flash!)somerandomnumbers]. So foolish me, I tried to restart. Now, the computer won't load POST, it won't load the OS, it won't do anything. And the only thing flashing on my screen in "No Signal." The guy who told me to update BIOS also told me that he would call within 30 minutes. To my surprise, he does, but in fact it's the manger! I tell him what's wrong, and he hangs up in less than 30 seconds. So I called them back just wanting a total refund (Mind you this after at least six attempts with customer service technical fixes), and they told me that I can't send it back as defective and get a full refund because it's passed 21 days. So, I end up trying to get a manager, but they say they have none. Now, I'm literally boiling with anger, and ask the agent when they will be in. He told me that they won't be in until Monday, because they don't work weekends. And on top of that, he tells me that they'll call me within 48 hours, the latest being on Tuesday. I understand, he does'nt have the authority to give me a refund, but it's infuriating that they don't have a manager on the weekends, even though their service runs 24/7. I called my credit card company and they can't cancel payment despite the fact that it's a lemon, because it has to be out of warranty.

Sorry for the rant, but is there anyway to get the computer working again before and if I get a call from the manager. I'd like to salvage at least a few files of data.

Does anybody also have any ideas on a company with better CS, that doesn't outsource? I don't want to build a new computer either.

This is pretty epic, i have the exact same problem WORD FOR WORD, does dell hate us or something?

[Text]

This is pretty epic, i have the exact same problem WORD FOR WORD, does dell hate us or something?

Geez. I just read their warranty and other information. They don't even guarantee you new parts, it can be refurbished or new as long as the computer in question hasn't been used before. I'm looking to buy a new laptop now, the updated MacBook that Apple came out with yesterday. I don't care what the price:preformance ratio is as long as I get a working machine that has excellent customer support.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Building a computer is like going to school.

If your stupid, your work is gonna be screwed up badly.

If you have half a brain, it'll turn out great.

onyx7890.png

Current goal: Legends, Regicide, Roving Elf's, Barrows RFD, 95+ Attack.

Don't assume that I don't want to build a computer because I'm scared or don't know how to. I'm using this computer for school. I want it to work right out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want someone to back me up.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Don't assume that I don't want to build a computer because I'm scared or don't know how to < Then do it. I'm using this computer for school < And its gonna be $500 cheaper for a low end School PC. I want it to work right out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want someone to back me up < IDK where in the USA and the big CIA, but I've heard of a shop called Best buy or W/E, take your Parts there and say 'BUILD PLOX I HERD ITS $100 ON DA INTERNET'. If it don't work they screwed it up, or you put an AMD CPU on a Intel MoBo. I'll show you the parts to buy if you want, can I ATLEAST get a please out of it?

onyx7890.png

Don't assume that I don't want to build a computer because I'm scared or don't know how to < Then do it. I'm using this computer for school < And its gonna be $500 cheaper for a low end School PC. I want it to work right out of the box, and if it doesn't, I want someone to back me up < IDK where in the USA and the big CIA, but I've heard of a shop called Best buy or W/E, take your Parts there and say 'BUILD PLOX I HERD ITS $100 ON DA INTERNET'. If it don't work they screwed it up, or you put an AMD CPU on a Intel MoBo. I'll show you the parts to buy if you want, can I ATLEAST get a please out of it?

Sure, they're cheaper, $500? Yeah, right. Maybe $200. I don't want to build one because I only receive help from those willing to help, not those responsible. I know how to and what parts to buy should I need to.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

New Zealand Prices:

$88 AMD Athlon 4800+ X2

$100 Nvidia Based Chipset MoBo

$70-150 Case with Free 550W PSU (Ninja Raidmax Case plz)

$50 2GB Corsair RAM

$20 DVD Drive

$300 Windows Vista Home Premuim

(I've prob forgot something K)

And I've probably forgot something, but thats an average home PC in NZ sold for $1200.

Oh and add a $250 8800GTS or $750 4850x2 if you wanna play games.

Tell me that's not cheap.

You can't, because it's so cheap it looks like its got Win 98 on it.

onyx7890.png

New Zealand Prices:

$88 AMD Athlon 4800+ X2

$50 2GB Corsair RAM

$20 DVD Drive

And I've probably forgot something, but thats an average home PC in NZ sold for $1200.

I bought a quad core. I don't need your pricing because I already said that I don't care about the price, I care about the support.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Why not get an Asus Laptop then? They're high quality for the price! I own one and am pleased with it, works very well and has never given me any troubles or errors (I'm on Vista).

New Zealand Prices:

$88 AMD Athlon 4800+ X2

$50 2GB Corsair RAM

$20 DVD Drive

I bought a quad core. I don't need your pricing, because I already said that I don't care about the price, I care about the support.

Buy a QUAD core for school work is like, erm, buying 2 GTX295's for playing Tetris...

Think of it this way, this game,

uses UNDER 50% of my CPU usage in a Quad core...

Want support? They have WARRANTY. What if you're [developmentally delayed]ed and O/C the FSB to 9999? No one would even care, even Dell. What if a compent breaks and you need it repair? Call SUPPORT from the place you brought it from/The manufacturers. They don't care? You saved over 50%, spend anther $80.. Seriousally.

P.S. PC company don't give a [cabbage].

onyx7890.png

OnIIx no one really cares. Yes, you can build a computer for much cheaper. Not everyone wants to for their own reasons. No need to keep pushing it, it only makes you look like an [wagon].

OnIIx no one really cares. Yes, you can build a computer for much cheaper. Not everyone wants to for their own reasons. No need to keep pushing it, it only makes you look like an [wagon].

:l

onyx7890.png

Why not get an Asus Laptop then? They're high quality for the price! I own one and am pleased with it, works very well and has never given me any troubles or errors (I'm on Vista).
I totally forgot about Asus, and I have been pleased with their products and support in the past. I'll give them a look, thanks!
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Meh. Ordered my new dell before I read this thread, it will arrive in 2 days. Hope there's nothing wrong with mine :ohnoes:

Don't worry, there's a reason they're the highest rated PC manufacture ;)

Used to deal almost exclusively with them, and still do for ordered system. I tend to build mine, though.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Seeing as you care about customer support/quality... thought I'd throw in my opinions as a longtime Mac user.

Apart from the rare flub (mighty mouse), all the Mac products that have gone through my household in the past 15 years have worked great. Customer service relations have been great in the few times we've called.

It sucks that the only time most people get to use Macs are in schools, because the ones in there are HORRIBLE. Once the schools get around to loading up their crap on there and hooking up the server, the computer just can't take much more. And then you get the kids who carelessly use the computer... it really gives Apple a bad image.

Take care of the computer, and it will take care of you. :D

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

No they're not.

*ahem http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=157&c=Dell+Inc.

Seeing as you care about customer support/quality... thought I'd throw in my opinions as a longtime Mac user.

Apart from the rare flub (mighty mouse), all the Mac products that have gone through my household in the past 15 years have worked great. Customer service relations have been great in the few times we've called.

It sucks that the only time most people get to use Macs are in schools, because the ones in there are HORRIBLE. Once the schools get around to loading up their crap on there and hooking up the server, the computer just can't take much more. And then you get the kids who carelessly use the computer... it really gives Apple a bad image.

Take care of the computer, and it will take care of you. :D\

That is true. Mac is considerably higher then any of the PC mangers. However, it comes at a price - your paying almost double for the same components in a prettier case with a blah OS.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

No they're not.

*ahem http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=157&c=Dell+Inc.

Take care of the computer, and it will take care of you. :D\

That is true. Mac is considerably higher then any of the PC mangers. However, it comes at a price - your paying almost double for the same components in a prettier case with a blah OS.

And their best GPU is an 8800GT :o

onyx7890.png

Nope, Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 is their best one.

Things can be said about the price of Mac's, but you end up knowing you are getting a quality product with quality support.

Laura: Buy which ever one you feel suits you best. Be it a product from Apple, Asus, HP or Sony.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

If I am going to go with a Mac, I think I'll wait until Snow Leopard. The $999 MacBook is looking pretty good since they updated it to a faster FSB, more RAM, and an Nvidia 9400M. Thank you every one.

hopesolopatriot.jpg