Clan forums

obfuscator

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

What forum package does your clan use? Why do they use it?

Is it a free package? Or do you pay for it?

What, overall, is the best forum package for clans in your opinion?

My answers: BK uses VBulletin. I believe the admins like the many customizations, as well as the styles.

I don't know about the actual package, but we certainly pay for hosting.

Overall, I really love phpbb3, but I have found myself to be unique in that respect.

(Note to mods: Sorry if this topic has been posted before, I certainly have never seen one.)

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Powered By IP.Board © 2009 IPS, Inc.

Licensed to: The Corruption Clan

:P

We use IPB, originally paid for by a member to get it started and then we took donations from a ton of members including myself of small quantities, to reimburse that member. So it's basically paid for by the entire clan rather than an individual. We also have google ads which bring in about $25 AUD a month which covers the domain and hosting of our main webpage.

Personally I think it's the best package - good security if you have a good webadmin, good customisation and really user friendly. Plus I'm just used to it lol.

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

Powered By IP.Board © 2009 IPS, Inc.

Licensed to: The Corruption Clan

:P

We use IPB, originally paid for by a member to get it started and then we took donations from a ton of members including myself of small quantities, to reimburse that member. So it's basically paid for by the entire clan rather than an individual. We also have google ads which bring in about $25 AUD a month which covers the domain and hosting of our main webpage.

Personally I think it's the best package - good security if you have a good webadmin, good customisation and really user friendly. Plus I'm just used to it lol.

The more you get used to your forums, the more you appreciate them. I know from PKM, dbz took a lot of heat for using proboards, they don't give a very good first impression. By the time I left, though, I actually quite like them. :lol:

polvCwJ.gif

I'd like to say that I love The Titans as a clan and as a community, with good friends there... but their forums are horrible lmao. ipbfree is so laggy, and full of security holes (as shown by a ton of their members and even admins getting their accounts hacked). It's one of the few web pages that seems to cause my firefox problems when clicking links, making the window freeze for a few seconds while it loads it.

Another huge part of how good a clan site is to use is the bandwith and speed of the server it's hosted on, not just the forum type. We temporarily used this cheapass server while our main one was getting DDOSed, and it couldn't handle the hundreds of users we sometimes get at any one time and would crumble under the pressure and need to be fixed by our admins lol. I'm glad we have a good one now - we got a good deal on it cos it's owned by a colleague of a member, so it has a really good and stable host for forums + teamspeak for a lot less than commercial price.

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

Powered by Invision Power Board(U) v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.

It's paid for by His_Lordship with donations from members.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Powered by Invision Power Board(U) v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.

It's paid for by His_Lordship with donations from members.

Yeah, I have heard your forums are really nice :)

polvCwJ.gif

My answers: BK uses VBulletin. I believe the admins like the many customizations, as well as the styles.

Overall, I really love phpbb3, but I have found myself to be unique in that respect.

(Note to mods: Sorry if this topic has been posted before, I certainly have never seen one.)

We use IPB v2.1.7. I am positively in love with this version, because it offers some of the cleanest board designs I've seen. When I look at IPBFree, Invisionfree, etc...they all too "busy" or unclean.

To be fair, unless you write your own skins, Invisionfree doesn't offer a lot in customizing options.

IPB is a paid-for service. I'm unsure of the price, because our members are nice enough to donate towards the cost of our hosting server + software.

Other than that, I'm a fan of phpBB and vBulletin too... But IPB is what my clan currently uses.

hzvjpwS.gif

We use IPB v2.1.7. I am positively in love with this version, because it offers some of the cleanest board designs I've seen. When I look at IPBFree, Invisionfree, etc...they all too "busy" or unclean.

To be fair, unless you write your own skins, Invisionfree doesn't offer a lot in customizing options.

IPB is a paid-for service. I'm unsure of the price, because our members are nice enough to donate towards the cost of our hosting server + software.

Other than that, I'm a fan of phpBB and vBulletin too... But IPB is what my clan currently uses.

Just wondering, what clan are you in? And can you post a link to your forums, I would like to take a look.

polvCwJ.gif

Invisionfree. Customised skin and a hawt webmaster makes all the difference. <3:

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Zeta-Free, and we have never paid a penny for it. It works well enough, we got converted from Invisionfree. Personally, as an Administrator, I preferred Invision-Free. Course Invision had some security issues- apparently it was possible for a firefox user to view any forum she liked, provided she knew what she was doing. Yes, we had this happen to us. Once...

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

Just wondering, what clan are you in? And can you post a link to your forums, I would like to take a look.

http://www.themoriquendi.com/forums/

enzock.gif

http://www.themoriquendi.com/forums/

Thanks dear <3:

polvCwJ.gif

IP.Board Skin. Payed for by somebody who doesn't play RS I believe, he makes the money back with the ads.

I like the Orange Dreams skin, it's really hot. <3:

I think the security is decent on it, havn't seen many problems lately with it.

signature4s.jpg

Zeta-Free, and we have never paid a penny for it. It works well enough, we got converted from Invisionfree. Personally, as an Administrator, I preferred Invision-Free. Course Invision had some security issues- apparently it was possible for a firefox user to view any forum she liked, provided she knew what she was doing. Yes, we had this happen to us. Once...

I used to use InvisonFree. But then when I heard about Forumotion.com, I switched to it, but I think that Forumotion is better, because you can do more, in the admin CP, eg. install mods, announcements in forums, reputation, Etc.

I used to use InvisonFree. But then when I heard about Forumotion.com, I switched to it, but I think that Forumotion is better, because you can do more, in the admin CP, eg. install mods, announcements in forums, reputation, Etc.

I've never heard of Forumotion. I'll check it out.

polvCwJ.gif

I've never heard of Forumotion. I'll check it out.

ok dude, please tell me what you thought about it :thumbsup: