RuneScape: console version?

RosesFire

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Why do I not believe that? Probably because Java hasn't been ported to consoles yet? ;)

Jagex had spoken of rewriting the game engine to be compatible with modern consoles (which they said was not very hard). Although yes, I haven't heard of any updated to this project for a long time so I'm guessing they have either hidden it or more likely stopped.

i woulnt mind it but it would be really annoying to type.

:ohnoes: It would.

Plug your keyboard into your game consoles USB port.

i dont have one :(

You...don't have a keyboard? I don't know what you just used to type that then.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I not believe that? Probably because Java hasn't been ported to consoles yet? ;)

Jagex had spoken of rewriting the game engine to be compatible with modern consoles (which they said was not very hard). Although yes, I haven't heard of any updated to this project for a long time so I'm guessing they have either hidden it or more likely stopped.

i woulnt mind it but it would be really annoying to type.

:ohnoes: It would.

Plug your keyboard into your game consoles USB port.

i dont have one :(

You...don't have a keyboard? I don't know what you just used to type that then.

His mind perhaps?

I would love to play Runescape in GLORIOUS 1080 P!!!

priest_wiz.png

Hmm if they ever did this they would probably need to either get more servers or make it so current ones could handle more than 2000 people, because they would get a HUGE influx of players. I wouldn't really care though because it would totally be worth the pure awesomeness of 1080p.

Big_Stingman.png

Hmm if they ever did this they would probably need to either get more servers or make it so current ones could handle more than 2000 people, because they would get a HUGE influx of players. I wouldn't really care though because it would totally be worth the pure awesomeness of 1080p.
I'm already playing on 1080p. :|
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Is it any good for high def?

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

Q) John Snake - Is there any way to play RuneScape on the ps3, or are there any plans to make a version for that and other systems that would allow you to connect to and play RuneScape on ps3 or other game systems?

A) We are currently looking at consoles, exactly which ones IS unfortunately a secret

QF13,14,613,58401007

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

If it is only one console, it has to be the Sony PS3. Any other choice if it were just one would be stupid. PS3 would have to be the first choice, thats just good common sense if you know about the hardware in the different consoles.

Edit: If they were to make if for only XBox, I would quit the game period. Not because of being a fanboy of Sony, but because I detest Microsoft and I wont support any product or company in cahoots with them. And that is not why I say it should be on the PS3 either. Simply put, the PS3 is the more capable, powerful console. Regardless of which one you prefer, for games or what ever reason, that is the facts.

in4F.gif

On a 46 inch TV through a PC?

Big_Stingman.png

On a 46 inch TV through a PC?

No, on a 21.5" monitor.

Is it any good for high def?

I don't really notice any difference between it and other resolutions. I can hook up my second 20" monitor, and get 41.5" of RSHD as well.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

So your 21.5 inch monitor has 1080 vertical lines of resolution and 1920 horizontal?

And I meant that it would be awesome to play it in 1080p on a huge HDTV, not a measly 21.5 inch widescreen computer lcd monitor. <.<

If you had read my precious post you woulda known that.

Big_Stingman.png

So your 21.5 inch monitor has 1080 vertical lines of resolution and 1920 horizontal?

And I meant that it would be awesome to play it in 1080p on a huge HDTV, not a measly 21.5 inch widescreen computer lcd monitor. <.<

If you had read my precious post you woulda known that.

Yes.

And eh, it would be hard clicking everywhere. I could buy a 1080p projector...

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Comon guys im sure they dident write a whole new OS to run on these consoles. Im willing to bet they are all running a modified pre eixisting OS they yanked from somewhere. And what modern OS does NOT have a web browser that can run Java. You can play RS on any console that can access the internet.

Fools_Taco.png

Comon guys im sure they dident write a whole new OS to run on these consoles. Im willing to bet they are all running a modified pre eixisting OS they yanked from somewhere. And what modern OS does NOT have a web browser that can run Java. You can play RS on any console that can access the internet.

Um the PS3 can access the internet and has a web browser, but doesn't have java...

Big_Stingman.png

PS3 browser has Adobe flash now, Java may be next? Besides, unless I am wrong here.

sure the Xbox 360 has twice as much memory! But wait, doesn't the PS3 have twenty five times as much video memory!? PS3 has better processor. Sure we could go on, I think the video memory issue alone may be the big clue. But then again with consoles they may be able to make it work with a lot less video memory? Or is video memory not so much as important as system memory for RuneScape? Don't get me to lying. Regardless, PS3 would have to be the first choice.

in4F.gif

PS3 browser has Adobe flash now, Java may be next? Besides, unless I am wrong here.

sure the Xbox 360 has twice as much memory! But wait, doesn't the PS3 have twenty five times as much video memory!? PS3 has better processor. Sure we could go on, I think the video memory issue alone may be the big clue. But then again with consoles they may be able to make it work with a lot less video memory? Or is video memory not so much as important as system memory for RuneScape? Don't get me to lying. Regardless, PS3 would have to be the first choice.

PS3 could easily handle it if they ported it to it. If Sony released Java for the PS3 I bet it could still handle it, but it would probably work better if Jagex worked with console creators like Sony to port it...

Big_Stingman.png

Im not real hip on programming and all that. About the most I do is a little bash scripting which yes I know, it is not programming.

But I don't think it is really so much porting as much as just getting a JVM that would run on the PS3. But what do I know? In all reality I suppose you could already play RuneScape on the PS3. Not sure how well, but that really wouldn't be playing it as a console game being as it would be done by running it through a Linux OS installed on the PS3. Not really the same thing.

I don't have a PS3, so I don't know how that would work. But if they had a JVM in the firmware somehow, then wouldn't it really just be a matter of downloading to the drive the files you need to run locally on the machine and then just running it natively on the PS3, or maybe it is gonna be a whole big makeover somehow?

Would you go and buy it just like any other game initially on a disc at the store?

in4F.gif

Im not real hip on programming and all that. About the most I do is a little bash scripting which yes I know, it is not programming.

But I don't think it is really so much porting as much as just getting a JVM that would run on the PS3. But what do I know? In all reality I suppose you could already play RuneScape on the PS3. Not sure how well, but that really wouldn't be playing it as a console game being as it would be done by running it through a Linux OS installed on the PS3. Not really the same thing.

I don't have a PS3, so I don't know how that would work. But if they had a JVM in the firmware somehow, then wouldn't it really just be a matter of downloading to the drive the files you need to run locally on the machine and then just running it natively on the PS3, or maybe it is gonna be a whole big makeover somehow?

Would you go and buy it just like any other game initially on a disc at the store?

Or maybe at the Playstation Store? Idk either I iz not some super program geekman. :lol:

Big_Stingman.png

If it is only one console, it has to be the Sony PS3. Any other choice if it were just one would be stupid. PS3 would have to be the first choice, thats just good common sense if you know about the hardware in the different consoles.

Edit: If they were to make if for only XBox, I would quit the game period. Not because of being a fanboy of Sony, but because I detest Microsoft and I wont support any product or company in cahoots with them. And that is not why I say it should be on the PS3 either. Simply put, the PS3 is the more capable, powerful console. Regardless of which one you prefer, for games or what ever reason, that is the facts.

You depsise anything in joint with Microsoft due to who they sponsor or are linked with? Nascar, Apache... and you also won't support their help in bringing in foreign children to America to have a better life? OK.

Also remember the game is RuneScape, not something resembling Crysis. The PlayStations hardware capabilities won't be used. Jagex would try to market to the larger range of players.

Units Sold (Wikipedia):

PlayStation 3: 21.3 million (as of December 31, 2008)

Xbox 360: 27.93 million (as of January 14, 2009)

Wii: 44.96 million (as of December 31, 2008)

Think about it.

Retired Crew Member | Retired RuneScape Player

You depsise anything in joint with Microsoft due to who they sponsor or are linked with? Nascar, Apache... and you also won't support their help in bringing in foreign children to America to have a better life? OK.

Also remember the game is RuneScape, not something resembling Crysis. The PlayStations hardware capabilities won't be used. Jagex would try to market to the larger range of players.

Units Sold (Wikipedia):

PlayStation 3: 21.3 million (as of December 31, 2008)

Xbox 360: 27.93 million (as of January 14, 2009)

Wii: 44.96 million (as of December 31, 2008)

Think about it.

Yeah PS3 is twice the price, think about it.

Big_Stingman.png

I am not here to debate MS. Playstation is the better choice capabilities wise and it is not twice as much. It is one hundred dollars more.

If we wanted to debate MS I could tell you tons of things that are wrong with the MS camp. And yes, I would quit playing RuneScape altogether if they only made it availiable on the Xbox platform. This is about RS on console, not to debate the merits of the MS camp.

in4F.gif

IMO:

Hardware wise PS3 makes the most sense

Live access speeds and systems Xbox makes the most sense

Control wise Wii makes the most sense

From a commercial viewpoint Wii is most logical due to being vastly more popular and widely sold than the other 2

From a coding view point Xbox would no doubt be easiest as it bears similarity to Windows in more functions than others and therefore porting over would be less complex

I could go on, but each major console has its strong points and weak points in terms of housing RS in a console form. Basically its anyones game.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue