glass houses and the law

Frueben

I've thought up a situation and do not know the answer for it. I've never taken a law class and therefore do not know the answer to this.

There is this glass house that is absolutely see through, you can see everything in and beyond the house. The house is built in quite a busy area, many cars pass by it, an elementary school is only two houses down and across the street. Now the man who lives in this house walks around inside it naked everyday for all to see. Would this be considerd public indecency?

Now, I've asked a few people about this. None of which have a real, proven answer, mainly opinionated. Most of their answers are similar so I'll only say a few.

1. No. It's his house. He can do what he wants.

2. Yes! Think about the children!

3. No comment

4. Why would you even think of this?

So what do you think? Is this fine or indecent?

It is his house, but he should have the decency to pull the curtain, or at least wear clothes because of the situation.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I'm a law student (I study law, so I can say that, right?), so I'll answer this best I can.

It's on public property, so he can do whatever he wants. However! People outside of his property can see him naked, thus this is indecent exposure.

However, once again, he is doing it INSIDE his house, which I will assume is privately owned. There is a barrier in between him, which obscures some of the light. Because of this, it is a lawful act to be naked inside this glass house. The indecent exposure will not be charged, as what goes on in private property is not the concern of the public unless it breaches constitutional rights or is a criminal act (in this case, this is a CIVIL act).

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Your scenario is needlessly complex. If you stand at the window of a normal house stark naked, someone will phone the police and they can charge you with public indecency.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Your scenario is needlessly complex. If you stand at the window of a normal house stark naked, someone will phone the police and they can charge you with public indecency.

It'll never hold up in court. You could even argue that you were taking in light rays from inside the property, which could be viewed as trespassing. WHY DID YOU LOOK AT HIS HOUSE??? TRESPASSING!!!

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

it would be indecency, as mentioned because of the window situation but also because,

A glass house would be a severe oddity, and building one/buying it in a busy area knowing you are a nudist shows intent to be naked in front of people.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I study Law, but generally only criminal and civil stuff, naked people tend not to pop up. I'm pretty sure that exposing yourself, even in private property is illegal to do in England. The police are hardly going to let a gentlemen stand in his front window exposing himself with children walking past, are they. :P I'd hate to be an arresting officer for that. :uhh:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

It'll never hold up in court. You could even argue that you were taking in light rays from inside the property, which could be viewed as trespassing. WHY DID YOU LOOK AT HIS HOUSE??? TRESPASSING!!!

Are you really a law student?

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

But then you'd have to get a warrant for the arrest or he can charge the police with trespassing, even if he gets charged as well (at least, that's what would happen here).

Are you really a law student?

Of sorts. And oh come on, I was clearly joking about that last bit. I'm just saying though that it wouldn't really hold up if it went to court. I'm not sure, I haven't done this kind of law.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

But then you'd have to get a warrant for the arrest or he can charge the police with trespassing, even if he gets charged as well (at least, that's what would happen here).

it wouldnt be very difficult to get a warrant for that. You could very easily catch video evidence, also dont police have some right to enter private property if a crime is in progress?

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

it wouldnt be very difficult to get a warrant for that. You could very easily catch video evidence, also dont police have some right to enter private property if a crime is in progress?

Now we're back to square 1. Is being naked in your own house really a crime though? And wouldn't video taping the naked person be much worse of a crime?

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

Now we're back to square 1. Is being naked in your own house really a crime though? And wouldn't video taping the naked person be much worse of a crime?

It's not illegal to record in a public place, so assuming you are on the pavement, you can't really get told off. Plus assuming this person is openly exposing themselves, then sure it is a crime, to which in England I'm sure police can get a warrant for easily (I think they can only enter a property to 'save life or limb' without a warrant).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Photographing or videotaping people in public is somewhat illegal here and you could be taken to court for it.

It all depends on what legal system we're dealing with here.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

Photographing or videotaping people in public is somewhat illegal here and you could be taken to court for it.

True (That's your Queue OP :P ). I think in England only videoing police staff is illegal, people who ask not be taped, or videoing on private property. :o

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Are you really a law student? I'm not one and I can assure you that your rights END when they infringe on the rights of others. This glass house scenario is no different than standing in a picture window nude for all the world to see. You may be within your house, but by virtue of the view offered you are displaying yourself to the public, thereby ending your privacy. If you are seen snorting coke in your glass house, you have given reasonable doubt for the police. If you are walking around naked in a glass house that is clearly visible, you are indeed exposing yourself to the public.

This is political science 101 for Americans. I really hope you know better.

also dont police have some right to enter private property if a crime is in progress?

It's called "reasonable doubt" and if the officer honestly believes a crime has been committed they may search a premises without a warrant. In this case, there is absolutely no reason not to have reasonable doubt.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

True (That's your Queue OP :P ). I think in England only videoing police staff is illegal, people who ask not be taped, or videoing on private property. :o

Legislation is being introduced to prohibit anyone from taking pictures or videos of a police officer that could be used in "acts of terrorism".

Ambiguity being the order of the day there.

GF police state!

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

Dont like it?

then dont look :wall:

Wouldn't this fall under the same category as a train wreck; you want to look away but can't.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.