PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

Actually my personal experience is what makes me right, personal bias is negligible for people that debate based on other things then presuming we are correct.

Sure, some mods do build an ego based off of their title, the fact stands that good mods do not. Many of the mods I have met are genuinly good people who are just glad they can be more of a help to jagex. Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not, but nothing is quite as effective as a mod muting the classic rs3 beta spambot sitting outside of bounty hunter.

Just because you buddy up with a mod, it doesn't make you right as you're taking it soley from your own POV. I also have personal experience of mods and its mostly negative. I'm assuming you have read all comments made by myself and other players? I have played for enough time and met enough mods to make my own decisions about whether mods are good/bad and whether they are good for the game. Just because I don't get cosy with them does not make me wrong.

Your quote 'Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not' says it all really. Even a staunch supporter such as yourself cannot fully justify the presence of pmods. I would much sooner see the odd Jagex Mod whose 'job' it is to police it, rather than somebody's poor attempt at being plastic police for all the wrong reasons.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your quote 'Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not' says it all really. Even a staunch supporter such as yourself cannot fully justify the presence of pmods. I would much sooner see the odd Jagex Mod whose 'job' it is to police it, rather than somebody's poor attempt at being plastic police for all the wrong reasons.

pay attention to the words I used. Perhaps mods are not absolutely necessary, they are however very beneficial. The fact that good mods can be very beneficial in both educating and helping players is justification for their existence. Maybe Jagex needs to be more careful about who they select for a mod, but mods as a whole are a good thing. I could say the same thing about cops in the real world, are they unnecessary just because a few are corrupt?

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

pay attention to the words I used. Perhaps mods are not absolutely necessary, they are however very beneficial. The fact that good mods can be very beneficial in both educating and helping players is justification for their existence. Maybe Jagex needs to be more careful about who they select for a mod, but mods as a whole are a good thing. I could say the same thing about cops in the real world, are they unnecessary just because a few are corrupt?

Ok let me read this just so I am understanding you - 'Not absolutley necessary' means not necessary at all as your just word playing, 'Maybe Jagex needs to be more careful about who they select' tells me you are already aware that this is an issue but you're finding it hard to admit it. 'Mods are a good thing' is your POV as you are very friendly with some so you feel its your duty to defend them, where as I choose not to for the reasons I have mentioned but you have not necessarily read. 'Mods are a good thing' - your POV again, not mine! RS PMOD's do it for status - you know it, I know it! They have nothing to lose like a RL cop if they blow it!

After reading back your original post, this is what I have to offer:

I find mods to be the exact representation of the global population. There are some that want the status, some that got modship through dedication to the game and some that got their status wrongfully because of their behavior. Of these 3 categories, only one type of player would want to be a mod without the crown. There I answered your question. I would want to be a mod without a crown. I like giving advice but I hate neverending conversation as I play the more like the quiet type. When you say MOST want status, you base yourself on your personnal experience and is scientifically ....void and null to use your words.

As for encouraging snitching... encourage snitching for the status of being a mod is wrong, reporting abuse to make the game more enjoyable to play is right.

How many mods have you spoken to online in your carreer? How many mods are there total? How can you say it's not generalization when you can't provide proof? At least admit it's generalization...

As for saying how they got modship... what does it matter? How did you get your bandos? It's the right of a player to answer whatever he wants...

I didn't know mods said they are the reason bots are "gone"... in fact I so totally don't care what a player mod say that I don't ask questions to them.

What is shown in post supporting your idea that mods want the "job" for the status is opinions by non-mods. That only tells you what some people think and not the verified reality.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of players out there that see modship as an ultimate goal and try their best to report every typos and innuendos to gain that status. On that point I agree with you. Where I don't agree is when you correct me saying "most" want status without providing any proof outside personnal experience (or vendetta). I also don't agree that we don't need these players in-game to help regulate the gameplay.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

After reading back your original post, this is what I have to offer:

I find mods to be the exact representation of the global population. There are some that want the status, some that got modship through dedication to the game and some that got their status wrongfully because of their behavior. Of these 3 categories, only one type of player would want to be a mod without the crown. There I answered your question. I would want to be a mod without a crown. I like giving advice but I hate neverending conversation as I play the more like the quiet type. When you say MOST want status, you base yourself on your personnal experience and is scientifically ....void and null to use your words.

As for encouraging snitching... encourage snitching for the status of being a mod is wrong, reporting abuse to make the game more enjoyable to play is right.

How many mods have you spoken to online in your carreer? How many mods are there total? How can you say it's not generalization when you can't provide proof? At least admit it's generalization...

As for saying how they got modship... what does it matter? How did you get your bandos? It's the right of a player to answer whatever he wants...

I didn't know mods said they are the reason bots are "gone"... in fact I so totally don't care what a player mod say that I don't ask questions to them.

What is shown in post supporting your idea that mods want the "job" for the status is opinions by non-mods. That only tells you what some people think and not the verified reality.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of players out there that see modship as an ultimate goal and try their best to report every typos and innuendos to gain that status. On that point I agree with you. Where I don't agree is when you correct me saying "most" want status without providing any proof outside personnal experience (or vendetta). I also don't agree that we don't need these players in-game to help regulate the gameplay.

Should I take what you say as null and void as its all based on your own opinion....? No I'll answer your points as I've a little more integrity than playing word games like some of you do.

Great so 1 out of 3 makes it ok then I guess (Not!). You've answered the arguement in this statement you gave. Thank you :lol: So snitching for this purpose would represent 1 out of the 3 who are actively seeking modship! Well I'm glad you cleared that up (!).

I thought the point of 'debate' is what people think! So as long as its your opinion the rest don't count then? We all know its a reality and for the bulk of mods its the crown as you well know. Most tend to agree with this and with your 1 out of 3 statement you pretty much said it yourself.

Lmao you guys talk as if you are the only people to ever talk to mods. Sorry but you're not that exclusive and you're giving me lots of opinions instead of facts. Something which you keep accusing me of doing!

I don't do vendettas, but thanks for the concern.

The part that startles me the most is where you say about 'what does it matter how you get modship'. My apologies. I guess a little decency and honour is a crime these days and its generally ok to gain status on the backs of other players.

I'm yet to see a single fact come from you supporting that all mods just do it for the attention, while you tell us we're too opinionated. Your entire argument is based around an assumption that people wouldn't want to be mods if they didn't have a crown next to their name. If you want your argument to have any real background, give us proof of all these terrible mods. Show us how they try to hog all the attention. Give us a picture of a mod saying that they are only in it for the crown. I'm willing to bet that you cant find more than 1 or 2 solid examples of this. Give actual proof and then I'll debate it.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Should I take what you say as null and void as its all based on your own opinion....? No I'll answer your points as I've a little more integrity than playing word games like some of you do.
Well it's my opinion and in no way a true representation of the reality. Same as yours, it's based on your personnal experience. We both are biased by our personnal experiences.

Great so 1 out of 3 makes it ok then I guess (Not!). You've answered the arguement in this statement you gave. Thank you So snitching for this purpose would represent 1 out of the 3 who are actively seeking modship! Well I'm glad you cleared that up (!).

I thought the point of 'debate' is what people think! So as long as its your opinion the rest don't count then? We all know its a reality and for the bulk of mods its the crown as you well know. Most tend to agree with this and with your 1 out of 3 statement you pretty much said it yourself.

I didn't say 1 in 3 is a good mod. I said there are 3 types of player mod. I have no idea what portion of them are in it for the status symbol. I'm not saying your opinion is lesser than mine... just saying you can't impose as facts what is your opinion.

Lmao you guys talk as if you are the only people to ever talk to mods. Sorry but you're not that exclusive and you're giving me lots of opinions instead of facts. Something which you keep accusing me of doing!

The part that startles me the most is where you say about 'what does it matter how you get modship'. My apologies. I guess a little decency and honour is a crime these days and its generally ok to gain status on the backs of other players.

You still haven't admitted to generalization... I don't find in my post anything suggesting I'm the only one in this game talking to mods.

As for honour and decency... what is wrong with reporting a rule-breaker? What I meant was... whats does it matter to YOU? Do you wanna know for general knowledge? Or maybe you used to want to be a mod and wanted to use the best tactics to become one?

You seem to think that a player gain modship by spamming the report abuse feature...? Care to tell us how you think a mod gains his status in your opinion?

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Right now it's looking like you're just an angry kid who got muted or reported by a mod and have hated them ever since.

I wouldn't say an angry kid because an angry kid would not have taken the time to properly lay out his arguments and use proper grammar. Which is the reason I'm still sticking to that thread, the OP has passion about his argument and doesn't let that get in the way of reason (something we rarely see on the rants forum).

langerkiller.png

Well it's my opinion and in no way a true representation of the reality. Same as yours, it's based on your personnal experience. We both are biased by our personnal experiences.

Good, so now you've come round to the idea that your own opinion is not the be all and end all, and that i'm actually entitled to one.

Great so 1 out of 3 makes it ok then I guess (Not!). You've answered the arguement in this statement you gave. Thank you So snitching for this purpose would represent 1 out of the 3 who are actively seeking modship! Well I'm glad you cleared that up (!).

I didn't say 1 in 3 is a good mod. I said there are 3 types of player mod. I have no idea what portion of them are in it for the status symbol. I'm not saying your opinion is lesser than mine... just saying you can't impose as facts what is your opinion.

YOU quoted the 1 out of 3 mods thing. You said that only 1 of them being useful (read your own post and yes you did quote the status thing!). YOU stated these facts, not me.

You still haven't admitted to generalization... I don't find in my post anything suggesting I'm the only one in this game talking to mods.

As for honour and decency... what is wrong with reporting a rule-breaker? What I meant was... whats does it matter to YOU? Do you wanna know for general knowledge? Or maybe you used to want to be a mod and wanted to use the best tactics to become one?

You seem to think that a player gain modship by spamming the report abuse feature...? Care to tell us how you think a mod gains his status in your opinion?

Report rule breakers fine. Reporting rule breakers to go for the modship is pretty poor form. It matters to ME because I find it distasteful. Are we getting it yet? And you have not read the previous posts regarding a mod gaining status have you? I'd suggest you go back and read the post FULLY.

I'm yet to see a single fact come from you supporting that all mods just do it for the attention, while you tell us we're too opinionated. Your entire argument is based around an assumption that people wouldn't want to be mods if they didn't have a crown next to their name. If you want your argument to have any real background, give us proof of all these terrible mods. Show us how they try to hog all the attention. Give us a picture of a mod saying that they are only in it for the crown. I'm willing to bet that you cant find more than 1 or 2 solid examples of this. Give actual proof and then I'll debate it.

I don't tell you you're too opinionated. Others seem to think I cannot have a personal opinion, while they have theirs. I have had experience of these 'terrible' mods as you put. I take it this is not enough for you? Is there a problem with debating it and taking me at my word? Or are you just joining the 'mods are my friends' tag team?

If it is not good enough to take me at my word then fine, go debate somewhere else.

I have friends in real life AND rs who ARENT mods, and they all would never go close to it unless they were givin a crown.

Then again, most of my friends are idiots

cough, he said those people were idiots cough.

Report rule breakers fine. Reporting rule breakers to go for the modship is pretty poor form. It matters to ME because I find it distasteful. Are we getting it yet? And you have not read the previous posts regarding a mod gaining status have you? I'd suggest you go back and read the post FULLY.

So we shouldnt have any mods because you dont like some of them? We all fully acknowledge some mods arent good, most are. Why should we remove something just because you had a bad experience with a mod. If a mod is breaking rules or whatever then report them, just because you dont like something is no reason to get rid of it. Finally, stop trying to put words in my mouth, when I said mods are not absolutely necessary I mean that the game would go on without them. IMO they are beneficial to runescape, you clearly disagree, but you also choose to disregard that good mods can be quite helpful in situations such as the classic advert bot etc. Just because something isnt perfect doesnt mean we should just throw it out the window.

awteno.jpg

Good, so now you've come round to the idea that your own opinion is not the be all and end all, and that i'm actually entitled to one.

As long as you do the same for me and don't correct my opinions...sure.

YOU quoted the 1 out of 3 mods thing. You said that only 1 of them being useful (read your own post and yes you did quote the status thing!). YOU stated these facts, not me.

I said there are 3 types of player mods... one of these type is a genuine player mod who wants to help the game, the other 2 are in it for the status symbol. It doesn't mean that 33,3% of player mods are good while 66,7% are bad... It means you will find player mods in these 3 categories. What you imply is that 1-2% are good mods while the rest are either in it for the status symbol or the power abuse they can inflict.

reporting for modship is pretty poor form indeed. I also find it distasteful. What I can't agree with you because I have not seen any evidence in my experience is that MOST mods are doing it this way. As for the post regarding gaining mod status, I admit that I can't find it... is it in this post? What's with the "horse mouth" thing? Is it some code word for something else...or an american expression I'm not familiar with (sorry ...french-canadian here...). About world 2 being the reporting world... I was not aware of that... care to explain the phenomenon or just post a link, I'm genuinely out of the park on that one.

langerkiller.png

I have friends in real life AND rs who ARENT mods, and they all would never go close to it unless they were givin a crown.

OO. Does that mean that mods are idiots in general then as all these 'idiots' want the crown?

So we shouldnt have any mods because you dont like some of them? We all fully acknowledge some mods arent good, most are. Why should we remove something just because you had a bad experience with a mod. If a mod is breaking rules or whatever then report them, just because you dont like something is no reason to get rid of it.

Dont quote sections of my post unless you're answering them. In particular I like the fact that you seem not to recognise that there is something wrong about using the reporting system to up your status, and not for the good of the game.

Finally, stop trying to put words in my mouth, when I said mods are not absolutely necessary I mean that the game would go on without them.

You made statements so I used direct quotes from you.

IMO they are beneficial to runescape, you clearly disagree, but you also choose to disregard that good mods can be quite helpful in situations such as the classic advert bot etc. Just because something isnt perfect doesnt mean we should just throw it out the window.

Excellent. the advert bot......and....um..................z.z.z.z.z. What exactly is the etc?

As long as you do the same for me and don't correct my opinions...sure.

At last, a proper debate!

I said there are 3 types of player mods... one of these type is a genuine player mod who wants to help the game, the other 2 are in it for the status symbol. It doesn't mean that 33,3% of player mods are good while 66,7% are bad... It means you will find player mods in these 3 categories. What you imply is that 1-2% are good mods while the rest are either in it for the status symbol or the power abuse they can inflict.

I just used your figures and the way you explained it. If mods were honest about it (yeah right!) could you see most of them being happy if the crown was removed? I don't think so. Why would this be? Those who obtain power fear to lose it and all that.

reporting for modship is pretty poor form indeed. I also find it distasteful. What I can't agree with you because I have not seen any evidence in my experience is that MOST mods are doing it this way. As for the post regarding gaining mod status, I admit that I can't find it... is it in this post? What's with the "horse mouth" thing? Is it some code word for something else...or an american expression I'm not familiar with (sorry ...french-canadian here...). About world 2 being the reporting world... I was not aware of that... care to explain the phenomenon or just post a link, I'm genuinely out of the park on that one.

You agree that it is poor form. Are you aware of reporting accuracy? If that one is new, ask a mod friend. They should shed some light on the subject. World 2 is often a good choice as its busy. 'From the horses mouth' means directly from the source i.e. from mods themselves. You see if you play to someones ego (very big!) and let them trust you for long enough they will volunteer information with a little coaxing. I simply asked a few direct questions and I got some direct answers.

OO. Does that mean that mods are idiots in general then as all these 'idiots' want the crown?

So we shouldnt have any mods because you dont like some of them? We all fully acknowledge some mods arent good, most are. Why should we remove something just because you had a bad experience with a mod. If a mod is breaking rules or whatever then report them, just because you dont like something is no reason to get rid of it.

Dont quote sections of my post unless you're answering them. In particular I like the fact that you seem not to recognise that there is something wrong about using the reporting system to up your status, and not for the good of the game.

Finally, stop trying to put words in my mouth, when I said mods are not absolutely necessary I mean that the game would go on without them.

IMO they are beneficial to runescape, you clearly disagree, but you also choose to disregard that good mods can be quite helpful in situations such as the classic advert bot etc. Just because something isnt perfect doesnt mean we should just throw it out the window.

Excellent. the advert bot......and....um..................z.z.z.z.z. What exactly is the etc?

you quoted someone as support for your point, but did not quote the part where they said their friends were idiots. That part of the statement is relevant because we all agree that bad mods are a problem

There is something wrong with reporting to up your status, there is a difference between players who are reporting because they want to be special and players who want to report and potentially be a mod because they want to help the game more.

intentionally warping what I said is attempting to put words in my mouth. I have said that there are bad mods, and they should be dealth with. My problem is your opinion that all mods are corrupt and that somehow your personal experience proves it.

advert bots, spamming of obscence pictures through chat, stopping a flame war through speech or if absolutely necessary muting, explaing rules to a confused player.

edit--

I just used your figures and the way you explained it. If mods were honest about it (yeah right!) could you see most of them being happy if the crown was removed? I don't think so. Why would this be? Those who obtain power fear to lose it and all that.

Thats true to some extent, the reason mods have a crown is so that they can be recognized as mods. Without a crown the classic im a mod and if you drop your stuff and press alt+f4 scam would appear.

awteno.jpg

you quoted someone as support for your point, but did not quote the part where they said their friends were idiots. That part of the statement is relevant because we all agree that bad mods are a problem

That quote was very relevant. You wanted to emphasise that further. That only added to my arguement. I could have used it myself but chose not to in good taste.

There is something wrong with reporting to up your status, there is a difference between players who are reporting because they want to be special and players who want to report and potentially be a mod because they want to help the game more.

And yet again you still do not answer the question I asked. Do you think that many would continue/go for modship without the crown? Don't skip around the point, just answer it.

intentionally warping what I said is attempting to put words in my mouth. I have said that there are bad mods, and they should be dealth with. My problem is your opinion that all mods are corrupt and that somehow your personal experience proves it.

How can anyone intentionally warp anything when it's a direct quote? Does a mod who tries to get/perform modship for status fall under the category of 'bad mod'? Do I also categorise those who would dump modship at the loss of the crown a bad mod? If so your figure just raised considerably. I already suspect you know this fact. Of course I have had more than one experience of it as you have read but I havent said all mods are corrupt. Again we come to this point of status and what would happen if it was removed. All those lovely angels would be without their silver crowns. Blastphemy!!!

advert bots, spamming of obscence pictures through chat, stopping a flame war through speech or if absolutely necessary muting, explaing rules to a confused player.

I agree. Why do we require mods if we can all report? Oh the mute thing again? Normally used as a weapon against players and thats not negotiation, thats just a threat.

edit--

Thats true to some extent, the reason mods have a crown is so that they can be recognized as mods. Without a crown the classic im a mod and if you drop your stuff and press alt+f4 scam would appear.

With trade limits a lot less common. Tbh if a player falls for that sort of scam is it not up to a player to learn not to? After all Jagex still states RS is not a kids game so do players really need a nanny?

Just to emphasise a point to posters who may think i have some 'jealousy' thing going. First anyone can go around reporting people, so if I wanted a modship I'd do that, kiss up to as many players as possible and generally be sickly sweet nice to people.

In reality I treat players as I find them, irrelevant of combat levels, and point people in the right direction when needed. What I don't do is hover over the report button at the first opportunity and wait for players to do say the wrong thing. I find the common sense method works much better for most things.

In short if I wanted a modship, I'd go for one. Like RS its not exactly rocket science.

according to you I sure seem to know a lot of things that arent true

Would as many people try to get modship if it didnt have a crown, probably not. Would the players that deserve to be mods still report people that need reported(serious offenses not report hunting) yes.

Your argument focuses on a few bad mods that are a problem, and jagex probably does need to be more careful about who they select. My main problem is that you are overgeneralizing mods, some are bad, most are good players who are helpful. Most mods dont report hunt, and in fact mods are instructed to tell someone they are breaking rules before reporting if it is something trivial( for instance good mods wont report someone for saying that socks). Saying we should remove that status just because some misuse it is unrealistic. Should we remove the police because some are bad? Should we go to anarchy because government isnt perfect? Should we stop driving because a car can malfunction? The answer is no, and the same reasoning applies to mods.

awteno.jpg

At OP:

Your main point seems to be that many mods are in it only for the crown and recognition. Care to point where you got this, or did you merely ask a large amount of WBMs why they wanted the status?

Look at what mods are selected for. Is it reporting quantity? No, that's what a WBM thinks though. It's actually my belief that blatant report farming would actually hinder one's chances of being selected.

Quality? Partially, as a player who reports with accuracy probably knows the rules well enough. It's hardly the top reason one is selected though.

What I gained from knowing a great many mods was that many actually did not report regularly, but they were helpful and knowledgeable players. You may find this if you go out and meet some mods... As long as you don't purposely act immature or offensive.

I'm basing the post off the same thing as you, experience around mods.

I apologise if you find my comments offensive, but this is a debate. You argue a point, I counter, I argue a point, you counter. Better get used to it.

Can you honestly see nearly as many people going for modship if it didn't give the crown? Of course not, lets be realisic here. You're making reference to players who have already obtained a modship. Lets face it you can do that, and never report again but still keep it but use it when you wish. Don't you find the process of how players become mods just a little dodgy? Or ever read the chat of an existing mod and notice how the chat in place becomes so elongated that its unreal? Almost like they are at a job interview and talking posh which lets face it is just a facade when you're on best behaviour.

Sorry but the cops/government thing doesn't wash. After all these guys are paid for what they do. Its a vocation not some sort of status symbol. This is RS where the stakes are completely different. Its used as a power tool. In RL a cop wouldnt go into a bar, get his/her badge out and shout 'hiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!', or decide they don't want to be a cop today, but tomorrow they do because they feel like it.

At OP:

Your main point seems to be that many mods are in it only for the crown and recognition. Care to point where you got this, or did you merely ask a large amount of WBMs why they wanted the status?

Look at what mods are selected for. Is it reporting quantity? No, that's what a WBM thinks though. It's actually my belief that blatant report farming would actually hinder one's chances of being selected.

Quality? Partially, as a player who reports with accuracy probably knows the rules well enough. It's hardly the top reason one is selected though.

What I gained from knowing a great many mods was that many actually did not report regularly, but they were helpful and knowledgeable players. You may find this if you go out and meet some mods... As long as you don't purposely act immature or offensive.

I'm basing the post off the same thing as you, experience around mods.

'Its actually my belief'.......Sorry but it seems people have been taking pot shots at me for my 'beliefs/opinions/experiences'. These guys seem to want facts so put your money where your mouth is and back it up.