PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

Edit - Before you read on please note this is a rather large debate so I'd advise you to read through the posts as much has happened since this was first posted, in terms of pmod selection. ;)

Ok, before some of you decide to have heart attacks and cough up your earl grey tea, hear me out on this one. I've played RS for 3 years now. This is purely from a personal viewpoint of my experience of RS. I've also had the 'jealousy' comments before, so when you read down, you'll see exactly why I'm very happy to be 'just another player'. I'm also no rule breaker. I get on with and enjoy the game immensely without the need to cheat or break any other rules. I certainly would not encourage anyone else to rule break either. I do apologise by the way if this post breaks any form of TipIT rules as I did try to find them but couldn't see anything, unless my eyes are failing me lol. :shock:

My discussion point is player mods. Over time I've found more and more players becoming player mods but now I find myself thinking 'why?'. You've been there yourself, where you're having quite an interesting conversation with other players, then all of a sudden your chat goes 'hiiiiiiiii!!' with a silver crown. The mod then takes over the conversation, it all goes downhill because mod knows best *rolls eyes*.

I would rather see the pmod status as gone. We can all report other players and Jagex claims they are no different than other players. So why are they still here? My reasons are for the following:

• *Mods claim to be 'ordinary players' - Would they want the status if it gave you no crown visible to other players? No they would be unhappy because they 'want' other players to know they are mods - hence they do it for the status. Many who then achieve modship then revert back to the 'its not my problem' routine.

*Why give status to people who will gleefully report others - In my mind you get status for hard work, not at the expense of others (PVP excepted). I find this 'looking for trouble' element of it distasteful as it encourages players to snitch, rather than use common sense.

*Why do they insist on giving lectures to players instead of fact? When a mod is around it is permanently littered with mod chat.

*Why, when questioned about how they got their modship do they instantly tele or block a player? - Something to be scared of?

*Why get shirty with players like myself who will disagree with a mods knowledge, yet threaten to mute me for it because I dare to disagree. Happened on more than one occasion. I don't need to be told off like a child or spoken to as if I don't know what I'm doing.

*The main issue of bots has been dealt a serious blow by the limit to trades, not by mods.

Now you may disagree with my comments and that's fine. After all this is debate, so I do not need to see posts telling me to be cast to the flames. :thumbsup:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *Mods claim to be 'ordinary players' - Would they want the status if it gave you no crown visible to other players? No they would be unhappy because they 'want' other players to know they are mods - hence they do it for the status. Many who then achieve modship then revert back to the 'its not my problem' routine.

*Why give status to people who will gleefully report others - In my mind you get status for hard work, not at the expense of others (PVP excepted). I find this 'looking for trouble' element of it distasteful as it encourages players to snitch, rather than use common sense.

*Why do they insist on giving lectures to players instead of fact? When a mod is around it is permanently littered with mod chat.

*Why, when questioned about how they got their modship do they instantly tele or block a player? - Something to be scared of?

*Why get shirty with players like myself who will disagree with a mods knowledge, yet threaten to mute me for it because I dare to disagree. Happened on more than one occasion. I don't need to be told off like a child or spoken to as if I don't know what I'm doing.

*The main issue of bots has been dealt a serious blow by the limit to trades, not by mods.

Now you may disagree with my comments and that's fine. After all this is debate, so I do not need to see posts telling me to be cast to the flames. :thumbsup:

Yeah, alot of people do want to be mods for the little crown. But I think that is encouraging players to report for a better reason. Now, most people in the game are -10 years old. The game is aimed at kids. They wouldn't care about reporting if they didn't "get" something back. IF its just false reporting, then it will usually be descovered unless it is fairly complex. A little bit of rule breaking IS rule breaking.

The littering of mod chat is unfortunate, but for the most part people DO play with chat on. They don't want people to turn chat off, and claim they heard nothing.

Some mods will just block or teleport. That is because they've been asked the same questions by hundreds if not thousands of players. and don't want to talk with little kids.

Mods sometimes do feel powerful. Don't be intimidated, since if they mtue you for no reason, you can just report them and complain

The botting issue has not been affected by the trade limit or mods.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I figure it would be awesome to have a PMod status - just, without the stars.

Every time I see someone type out some string with perfect accuracy at a rate which screams autotyper, I'd love to just shut them up for 24 hours. Whenever I see someone spamming a chat just for the hell of it, or getting past the filter, I want them to know its not OK - there are other people who see their idiocy.

The one thing I don't care about is the silver crown - I figure it would be annoying to have to deal with everyone asking "So I had this friend who ... and I reported him. Can i haz mod status too?"

Heck - Jagex Secret Modship ftw.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The ability to mute someone instantly that is saying stuff that can cause serious harm gives mods their merit.

The times I've been called to silence website advertisers... :lol:

Which is why it's common for mods to stay silent if they feel that they are in the prescence of a rulebreaker?

The point of modship is that the mod in question can do a little extra if he or she sees a rulebreaker. It doesn't mean that the mod has to drop everything he or she is doing to actively hunt down rulebreakers.

There are very few player mods that got the 'status' solely by reporting. Generally, it's given to players that are helpful.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this one...

Often, it's a player that asks the question resulting in the lecture.

It's a question that's answered in two sources, one of which is ingame. From my experience, a mod usually just points the player to one of them. I have yet to see a mod do that solely because of that question.

Report the mod then, if you see that.

I would like to see what you were saying in this case though...

No mod would deny that. I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

That's all for now

The ability to mute someone instantly that is saying stuff that can cause serious harm gives mods their merit.

The times I've been called to silence website advertisers... :lol:

Which is why it's common for mods to stay silent if they feel that they are in the prescence of a rulebreaker?

Don't know which mods you have met, but the ones I have sure like to make their presence felt. You're right a good mod should stay silent, but lets face it most like to blabber as if to say 'just to let you know im here, notice the crown please'. Don't forget most of these guys wouldn't be interested without the pretty crown next to their name, so its not exactly for the good of the game.

The point of modship is that the mod in question can do a little extra if he or she sees a rulebreaker. It doesn't mean that the mod has to drop everything he or she is doing to actively hunt down rulebreakers.

Selective reporting. Oh good that makes me feel better then.

There are very few player mods that got the 'status' solely by reporting. Generally, it's given to players that are helpful.

Please give me more credit than that. Some admit that world 2 is the reporting world. Straight from the horses mouth. While I realise you're very in favour of mods not all of them can hold their water.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this one...

Often, it's a player that asks the question resulting in the lecture.

No, I'm talking in general.

It's a question that's answered in two sources, one of which is ingame. From my experience, a mod usually just points the player to one of them. I have yet to see a mod do that solely because of that question.

Try asking them yourself..you'll see :-#

Report the mod then, if you see that.

I would like to see what you were saying in this case though...

I would like to know what you're implying...? If someone is giving information to a player which you know is incorrect because of your own experience am I not entitled to disagree or are all mods such wonderful people they cannot possibly be like that?

No mod would deny that. I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

Many mods claim to only report bots. The point being many mods have tried to take credit for this. I've told mods about bots before I knew the mod system to be given 'its not my problem' routine.

That's all for now

Obviously you're quite a fan of mods to credit them the way you do, but its very naive to think they're doing it for the good of the game. While a very small minority might be, the rest are in it for the status which I think is bad for the game, along with the methods used to achieve it.

So, seems most people agree about the want of it as a status symbol then, judging by other posts so far. Thats my main sticking point and if you do it for the status then it shows just what modship is really about for the majority then. My mistake I would have thought it would have been about the good of the game............ :evil:

Obviously you're quite a fan of mods to credit them the way you do, but its very naive to think they're doing it for the good of the game. While a very small minority might be, the rest are in it for the status which I think is bad for the game, along with the methods used to achieve it.

Its not naive of him to think that. Its naive to base your whole arguement on a few mods you;ve met that you dislike. The large majority are for the good of the game. Its hard for the "diehard" kids reporter to get that status. Sure, some do show off, but cut them some slack. They really do try to silence rule breakers.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Its not naive of him to think that. Its naive to base your whole arguement on a few mods you;ve met that you dislike. The large majority are for the good of the game. Its hard for the "diehard" kids reporter to get that status. Sure, some do show off, but cut them some slack. They really do try to silence rule breakers.

My experience came from personal experience. A mod that is just in it for the status isn't the rule, it's the exception. A lot of the horror stories around them are hacked mod accounts (let the flaming commence), rumors that never seem to get farther than 'I heard about...' (There may be a grain of truth, but as it is...), or people breaking the rules without knowing why or wanting to admit that they did (An observation from Tip.It's forums. Most rule breakers that rant don't supply more than one or two quotes)

In 3 years I've met many mods so I think I have enougg experience of it. Ok, so if they are there to silence rulebreakers, remove the crown. Lets see how many would want that job then? Most would dispose of it instantly. And if you're determined enough for modship, read up on my comments. It's not that difficult.

My apologies if I'm 'not cutting them slack' but apart from a few decent ones, how am I supposed to do this when its about the crown? Read the comments above and most agree.

My experience came from personal experience. A mod that is just in it for the status isn't the rule, it's the exception. A lot of the horror stories around them are hacked mod accounts (let the flaming commence), rumors that never seem to get farther than 'I heard about...' (There may be a grain of truth, but as it is...), or people breaking the rules without knowing why or wanting to admit that they did (An observation from Tip.It's forums. Most rule breakers that rant don't supply more than one or two quotes)

Im sorry you seem to be missing my points. My comments aren't hearsay or these quotes you mention from rants. These are actual events from my own personal experience. Quotes from the horses mouth are from mods themselves so its not exactly a horror story, or are you blaming these events on accounts that just were coincidentally hacked when I have had conversations with these people?

Im sorry you seem to be missing my points. My comments aren't hearsay or these quotes you mention from rants. These are actual events from my own personal experience. Quotes from the horses mouth are from mods themselves so its not exactly a horror story, or are you blaming these events on accounts that just were coincidentally hacked when I have had conversations with these people?

I'm speaking generally. Though I second Pantim's statement about a few mods.

Definitely for status.

I feel that they're given too much power, with the whole instant mute thing.

I misspell a word while there's a player mod around..

BAM

Perm mute :|

*sigh* Player mods can only give 48 hour mutes... jagex decides to take further action... Mods are human too... Jagex makes mistakes sometimes...

Did I cover everything there?

Anyways, I honestly have found pretty much the opposite of what's been said most of the time. I tend to see player mods being far less obtrusive and often quieter than the average player (which of course means they're trying to trick people into messing up so they can mute them :roll: ). That's why I have a lot of mod friends, who are some of my favorite people in Runescape. I've met a grand total of 1 mod who I didn't think deserved to be modded in my entire Runescape career of uhh... a little over 4 years now. And I've met probably a good 80 of them too.

I just don't see why mods get so hate from the average player.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I just love this quote - 'I just don't see why mods get so hate from the average player'. So does that mean that the average player doesn't actually like mods, but you do? Means theres quite a few out there who disagree with the mod concept. Kinda goes against the grain that you're saying that mods are so wonderful (puke time!) :wall:

Maybe I'm too much of a straight talker here, and call things for what they are. Im not really a backside kisser so maybe that's why I'm thinking differently about this issue. I don't have any mods on my friends list and never will.

For me, the ideal of the mod is a sound one, but then so was Communism. Both implemented badly.

*Mods claim to be 'ordinary players' - Would they want the status if it gave you no crown visible to other players? No they would be unhappy because they 'want' other players to know they are mods - hence they do it for the status. Many who then achieve modship then revert back to the 'its not my problem' routine.

Mods are ordinary people. Some want the job for status, others for genuinely making the game better by reporting and dealing with rule-breakers. It depends on the player behind the keyboard.

Because that's what a player mod is suppose to do, police the RS world...If there's no one to snitch on you, you might be more incline to vent your frustration through offensive language

It depends on the player behind the keyboard... Not all mods are attention seeking sickos.

Like someone else already mentionned, probably sick of having to answer the same question again and again. Heard a rumour it's supposed to be kept secret and Jagex doesn't want the community to know how the process unfolds... this is speculating wildly so I'll leave it at that.

Might be the way you disagree with them (i.e. offensive language...) or you genuinely argued with mods that shouldn't have the status. As I have no proof of either one, I'll have to stay neutral on this.

I have never heard something suggesting the contrary, if a mod told you that, he or she was probably highly intoxicated at the moment...

I have the feeling that underneath this rant lies a jealousy of not having modship status. Why would you really want to know how they got promoted to mod if not for the reason that you obviously want to be one? Just keep in mind that behind every player (mod or ordinary) is a unique person and generalization of them can lead to unjustified hatred.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

IMO, player mods are completely worthless. Whenever I am around a player mod, they don't seem to be making any effort to enforce any rules or anything, and actually seem to be detached form other players and the discussion, often ignoring everyone. And with reports of hacked mod accounts, abuse of mod powers, and countless whiny 10-year-olds crying for mod privliges, IMO, having player mods is not worth the trouble. The benefits do not outstrip the disadvantages.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Ok, so if they are there to silence rulebreakers, remove the crown. Lets see how many would want that job then? Most would dispose of it instantly

What is your basis upon which you claim that? Most mods would still want the ability to mute even if it didnt come with a crown.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

*Mods claim to be 'ordinary players' - Would they want the status if it gave you no crown visible to other players? No they would be unhappy because they 'want' other players to know they are mods - hence they do it for the status. Many who then achieve modship then revert back to the 'its not my problem' routine.

Mods are ordinary people. Some want the job for status, others for genuinely making the game better by reporting and dealing with rule-breakers. It depends on the player behind the keyboard.

Correction- Most want the status so your arguement is null and void on this issue. Take that little silver crown away and how many will still want it? Hmmm this is still an issue you supporters of mods have yet to comment on. I wonder why. :lol:

Because that's what a player mod is suppose to do, police the RS world...If there's no one to snitch on you, you might be more incline to vent your frustration through offensive language

As I have previously said, we should encourage snitching? Great that really solves the problem. :roll:

It depends on the player behind the keyboard... Not all mods are attention seeking sickos.

Yes you know what you're so right, I must write the names down of the one or two who aren't.

Like someone else already mentionned, probably sick of having to answer the same question again and again. Heard a rumour it's supposed to be kept secret and Jagex doesn't want the community to know how the process unfolds... this is speculating wildly so I'll leave it at that.

I see. So the status is good for a while until they get 'sick' of it. Well boo hoo doesn't it come with the territory? Or is it just when they feel like it?

Might be the way you disagree with them (i.e. offensive language...) or you genuinely argued with mods that shouldn't have the status. As I have no proof of either one, I'll have to stay neutral on this.

You obviously havent the top of the post about my thoughts on rule breaking. I would suggest you read more closesly.

I have never heard something suggesting the contrary, if a mod told you that, he or she was probably highly intoxicated at the moment...

It's an excuse dished up by many a mod when asked about their modship, even the ones who acquired modship after the g.e. It's often used a way out of explaining that they reported bots instead of players for gain modship. Apologies if I was not clear about this issue.

I have the feeling that underneath this rant lies a jealousy of not having modship status. Why would you really want to know how they got promoted to mod if not for the reason that you obviously want to be one? Just keep in mind that behind every player (mod or ordinary) is a unique person and generalization of them can lead to unjustified hatred.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Jealousy!! I wouldn't associate myself with mods, let alone become one! Would I really want to become the very thing I think should be gone??!! No, because again you haven't read the top of the post! :shock: As far as the generalisation is concerned again I point you to most of the other posts who agree its a status thing. That tells me a lot about a player who will report others at all costs to gain a little crown, rather than exercise some common sense.

Ok, so if they are there to silence rulebreakers, remove the crown. Lets see how many would want that job then? Most would dispose of it instantly

What is your basis upon which you claim that? Most mods would still want the ability to mute even if it didnt come with a crown.

Most wouldn't touch being a mod with a bargepoll without other players knowing this status. It doesn't take a genius to work this out. ooooooo I really seem to have struck a chord with the crown and mod status haven't I? Is this something that people don't like to talk about because its a bit taboo?

let me guess you know this through personal experience :roll:

my best friend is a mod, and doesnt care about the crown. To him, helping enforce the rules is more important then any status symbol. Also, you can presume as much as you want, it doesnt make you correct.

awteno.jpg

let me guess you know this through personal experience :roll:

my best friend is a mod, and doesnt care about the crown. To him, helping enforce the rules is more important then any status symbol. Also, you can presume as much as you want, it doesnt make you correct.

edited for readability purposes - Your completely biased opinion doesn't make you correct either, and your friend could just say this as he/she knows its not going to happen. How many would still mod if jagex suddenly announced that crowns will no longer appear next to a players name? Not many and you know it. :roll:

Actually my personal experience is what makes me right, personal bias is negligible for people that debate based on other things then presuming we are correct.

Sure, some mods do build an ego based off of their title, the fact stands that good mods do not. Many of the mods I have met are genuinly good people who are just glad they can be more of a help to jagex. Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not, but nothing is quite as effective as a mod muting the classic rs3 beta spambot sitting outside of bounty hunter.

awteno.jpg