Trying to lose weight - HELP!

ogabooga

Well when i was that age i lost a load of weight.

How did i do it? 3 simple steps:

1) As you plan, do all the exercise you possibly can. If possible vary things, play tennis with friends, golf, whatever your into and if your not into anything convince your mates to start a sport with you. That way its fun, and you lose weight.

2) See it as a challenge and keep focused. MAKE SURE you do you exercises everyday. If you dont, see it as a bad day, as if a relative as died and feel really bad about yourself. Tell yourself, "Ill be overweight forever because of not exercising today." Same with food - if you eat a cake, make yourself feel guilty about it and regret it.

3) Eat little or nothing for meals (Maximum 2 times per 3 days). This is the key. BUT, make sure you dont end up anorexic - once you reach your desired new weight, STOP DOING THIS. Best one to miss i found was at school - it saves you your lunch money which you can secretly keep ;) If you really cant manage this - just buy yourself a cereal bar for lunch. For dessert - fruit only until you eat your weight. One chocolate bar as a treat per week.

Really its about sorting out what you eat and exercising to an extreme level until you reach your desired weight. Then, eat normally, keep up the exercise and you should be alright for life,

==ice==

Dear god! This was not only a very bad advice but also a dangerous advice! :o

If you follow this advice you will soon end up in a hospital - with a tube down your nose - hopefully not dieng.

Ice, I pray to god you dont live like this? If so, please consult a doctor asap! :cry:

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

Well when i was that age i lost a load of weight.

How did i do it? 3 simple steps:

1) As you plan, do all the exercise you possibly can. If possible vary things, play tennis with friends, golf, whatever your into and if your not into anything convince your mates to start a sport with you. That way its fun, and you lose weight.

2) See it as a challenge and keep focused. MAKE SURE you do you exercises everyday. If you dont, see it as a bad day, as if a relative as died and feel really bad about yourself. Tell yourself, "Ill be overweight forever because of not exercising today." Same with food - if you eat a cake, make yourself feel guilty about it and regret it.

3) Eat little or nothing for meals (Maximum 2 times per 3 days). This is the key. BUT, make sure you dont end up anorexic - once you reach your desired new weight, STOP DOING THIS. Best one to miss i found was at school - it saves you your lunch money which you can secretly keep ;) If you really cant manage this - just buy yourself a cereal bar for lunch. For dessert - fruit only until you eat your weight. One chocolate bar as a treat per week.

Really its about sorting out what you eat and exercising to an extreme level until you reach your desired weight. Then, eat normally, keep up the exercise and you should be alright for life,

==ice==

Dear god! This was not only a very bad advice but also a dangerous advice! :o

If you follow this advice you will soon end up in a hospital - with a tube down your nose - hopefully not dieng.

Ice, I pray to god you dont live like this? If so, please consult a doctor asap! :cry:

Sheesh yeah I thought that was rather harsh lol.. :o

I am eating about 5 meals a day but very small ones. Exercising is going well as I just finished my second day work out. :wink: My legs hurt from the bike ride but it has a satisfying feeling.

Also Sunli, I was wondering about your coffee and tea comment. You said tea and coffee triggers your metabolism before any meals in the morning. Does that mean I should drink a little of one or the other right after I get up?

Thanks again everyone! :D

There's been some really good advice here, except for icedrop, wdf O_O.

To the people who are saying you can eat anything you want... in theory yes, if you eat it in moderation- but why not start having a healthy lifestyle rather than stuffing your arteries with hydrogenated and saturated fats and all the chemicals and additives found in unnatural processed foods. And to the person saying protein supplements are a waste, I think you need to do some research first before jumping to conclusions, especially if its just something you heard. And it doesn't have to be expensive protein supplements, if money is an issue, you can always add milk powder to milk (preferably both skim). Although not as effective, it is still better than havint 80% of your calories coming from unhealthy fats, carbs, and the few protein from hamburgers and deep fried garbage.

Again, there's some good advice here for what to do, but that shouldn't stop you from taking a couple minutes a day to do some more research. There's a difference between starving yourself and getting fit.

You need to tell yourself that you are doing this to become healthy, not to lose those couple pounds. Or else once you reach your desired weight you will more than likely start eating like you did before... that is why diets fail. Diet changes are bad, lifestyle changes are the way to go.

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

I am eating about 5 meals a day but very small ones. Exercising is going well as I just finished my second day work out. :wink: My legs hurt from the bike ride but it has a satisfying feeling.

Very nice! Keep that up and you will have a healthy and slender body :)

Dont expect it to happen in a flash though - it took you some time to gain weight and it will take time to loose them as well. Just dont give up and feel dispirited because it dont happen 'tomorrow'.

Also Sunli, I was wondering about your coffee and tea comment. You said tea and coffee triggers your metabolism before any meals in the morning. Does that mean I should drink a little of one or the other right after I get up?

Thanks again everyone! :D

Yes, a cup of coffee or a cup of tea ( both contain caffein wich is good for you in small amounts ) a few minutes before the breakfast. Acctually, 2 - 3 cups of tea or coffee during the day at meal times is proven to be beneficial for the sentral nerv system and your metabolism.

Good luck! :D

rejna.png

-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

I too would warn you against eating very little and working out a lot. I did it myself at one point, and it was not healthy. I was doing aerobic exercise about 9 times a week, 1000...yup...1k crunches a day, and eating only about 2000 calories (yes, that is a lot, but not if you are 7 feet tall). I did lose weight, but as was mentioned by others you just have to get all your muscle back again.

Knowing how many calories to eat can be difficult. They make some online calculators based on Body mass index and level of activity. THen they suggest the amount you would need to sustain your weight, and for gradual weight loss. That way you don't have to worry about too many calories, or too few, where your body begins to go into preservation mode.

I would also advise you to try the lentils and beans approach that Sunli mentioned. Animal protein is tough on your kidneys, bones (saps calcium in the way it is processed) and we really get too much of it anyway. There is also protein in green leafy vegetables. So get plenty of those.

In fact I also found that the diet changes not only helped with weight, but I also lost all problems with asthma and allergies after going to a vegetarian diet. I don't know as you would have to totally eliminate meat or dairy to get that effect, but reducing helps. If you do decide to make drastic dietary changes obviously your family will have to consult not just a physician but a dietician who is familiar with vegetarian meals (not all are all that strong on the idea). You can get more than adequate nutrition if you plan it right. And honestly I used to eat meat 5 times a day and now don't miss it at all.

As to biking....you all will think I am joking, but i am not, watch out that you do not over do it if you are a male. It can ...injure the plumbing. No, I don't have personal experience on this one! haha And I don't plan to. But if you use an exercise bike for instance instead of a regular bike, try the recumbent one that you lie down on. They are less rough on the anatomy. For any who doubt this, just check the next time you do that 5 mile bike ride for any numbness....you will figure it out.

I would also suggest some weight lifting in moderation. I have a bow flex and they are not bad. If you get one, and are not a huge person I suggest the Motivator 2 model sold by QVC. They liscensed it out to QVC to sell exclusively and it was $599 with free shipping...tons cheaper than most of the others, and I have found it to be a good unit. But it does have the draw back that all Bow Flexes have, only 210 pounds of initial weight, and unlike some of the others you CANNOT upgrade to 310.

But for most people that is sufficient. Bow flex is more for toning and developing long lean muscle rather than bulking up anyway. That new muscle in turn keeps the fires burning in your metabolism all day.

For that matter, if you get a simple weight bench and some of the metal dumb bells you can find exercises to work most areas, and save some money.

Good luck to you! And I hope you get those results!

I have removed a couple of the replys from this thread - since they were out of line and didnt give any advice whatsoever.

The next guy or gal who suggest using drugs/kill animals or other illegal ways to loose weight(!) will have to answer to me.

Please make sure you know what you are talking about before you give advice.

If you have lost weight after a sensible diet and excersise; please let the threads author know what helped/motivated you. :)

rejna.png

Wow tttia, 7 feet tall! :o Thanks a lot for the advice!

Do you happen to know any websites with a good calorie calculator? I will also look into cutting down on the meats (I'm not a big meat eater anyways) and eating more veggies.

Just got home from school and I'm about to go for the 5 mile ride. I won't overdo it tttia so I don't injure any plumbing. :wink:

I also bought 10, 20, and 30 pound weights just to start a little moderate lifting. :)

Thanks for cleaning up the thread Sunli! :D

I googled and found this site; http://www.caloriecontrol.org/

Not sure how serious they are though, since I never used a calorie calculator. All I can advice you is to eat sensible. You are suppose to be full! Never leave the table still hungry. Thats your metabolism speaking. Never eat til you burst either. If you drink 2 - 3 glasses of water to each meal you should be full in a good way.

You can also calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) to get a estimate of your overweight. Please use with considerasion though. This is used only if you know you are overweight, and not if you are packed with muscles :wink:

rejna.png

As to biking....you all will think I am joking, but i am not, watch out that you do not over do it if you are a male. It can ...injure the plumbing. No, I don't have personal experience on this one! haha And I don't plan to. But if you use an exercise bike for instance instead of a regular bike, try the recumbent one that you lie down on. They are less rough on the anatomy. For any who doubt this, just check the next time you do that 5 mile bike ride for any numbness....you will figure it out.

That's an entirely unusual type of statement. Of course it might be different if you are 7 feet tall ( :shock: ) but i doubt this guy is. It might also depend on the way you position yourself on the saddle, if it hurts, your doing it wrong, either alter the saddle height or handlebar position. Or you can get different saddle types. Bikes are designed not to hurt that particular area, since so many males use them it's not like there's a correlation between male anatomy and the ability to cycle. You might not want to wear them but padded shorts do help over longer distances, but for my mid level rides (30-50 miles) i find normal shorts just acceptable (i'm a teenager so have a thing for trying not to wear padded lycra in public places :P) . Of course some people wear them for quick 5 mile rides but it's purely down to personal preference, and the terrain you go over. For instance i'm sure that cycling even 20 miles without changing position would be tough on the "plumbing", but try to stand up on the pedals for short (or long as yoru fitness increases) bursts of energy or to change position. Exercise bikes are all well and good but they are incredibly boring. True biking is much more interesting, with the sights and sounds, and varying conditions and terrain. Not only is it good for you it's also good fun.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Well it worked for me,

About 2 weeks ago, I read an article in the paper - a guy lost 4 stone by only having 1 large meal a day.

1 Week later, another guy replied saying that didnt work for him,

It all depends on you as a person - try eating lots of small meals or try eating one larger meal, it all depends on what is best for you,

Also, my diet is not all that "extreme", i dont see how it could damage your health. As long as you eat enough of things non chocolately and fatty, and stuff your fine. Also, when i lost weight, i didnt do a billion press ups, i stuck to funner sport which takes less energy and burns less calories,

Different things work for different people,

Also after i reached a weight i was happy with, i now eat all the chocolate, burgers and other stuff i like as much as i like but just make sure i exercise more than before so it doesnt build on me and make me fat,

Worked for me, could work for this guy,

==ice==

I stopped eating carbohydrates and lost (give or take) 10 pounds per month. That's very fast if I say so myself. I got lazy and gained like 20 pounds in a year and a half, I wasn't fat, but I didn't need the extra weight, so. :P

I just ate chicken, tuna...apples...oranges...other fruits and veggies, etc.

Not eating carbs is incredibley hard, though. I wouldn't advise trying it unless you have massive amounts of discapline. If you really want it though, you'll be able to control yourself. If you can't control yourself, you're obviously not very serious about it.

However, don't make the mistake I did - work out while you're dieting, whatever dieting plan you do. Along with probably 20 pounds of fat I lost, I probably lost 5 lbs. of muscle (because I just sat around), which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's quite a bit.

I stopped eating carbohydrates and lost (give or take) 10 pounds per month. That's very fast if I say so myself. I got lazy and gained like 20 pounds in a year and a half, I wasn't fat, but I didn't need the extra weight, so. :P

I just ate chicken, tuna...apples...oranges...other fruits and veggies, etc.

Not eating carbs is incredibley hard, though. I wouldn't advise trying it unless you have massive amounts of discapline. If you really want it though, you'll be able to control yourself. If you can't control yourself, you're obviously not very serious about it.

However, don't make the mistake I did - work out while you're dieting, whatever dieting plan you do. Along with probably 20 pounds of fat I lost, I probably lost 5 lbs. of muscle (because I just sat around), which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's quite a bit.

Uh fruit is 100% carbs O_o

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

hmm theres many different ways to go about this

First off you dont really need to lose weight unless you are seriously overweight 5 or 10 pounds is not a big deal. Second is are you in shape/healthy(physicaly), im not talking about weight but athletic ability per se. Are you in tip-top condition, can you run a good distance without getting tired or having to stop. do you have lots of endurance. Can you lift more than your weight etc etc.

Excercising is one thing eating is another

yeah i had to learn all this for soccer. Its very intense. You run about 13km per game. Gotta do specific training for relfexes, coordination, speed, acceleration.

Watch calorie intake duh! 3500 stored calories(those not burned) equals 1 pound.

Eat 3 square meals don't starve yourself breakfast and lunch are the most important meals. Watch the carbohydrates too (basicly a complex way to say sugars)

Try to drink less soda, get hooked on propel (like me) or milk. Watch the fast food too, it's alright every once in awhile but not often. If you decide to pig out a little bit be sure to burn the extra off.

Blah blah. just google it

Excersing

I do normal excersing and sports specific for soccer

Do aerobic and anerobic exercises.

Aerobic

This improves your cardivascular system and heart effiency. Also help you get in shape

aerobic is about 50-75% of your maximum heart rate. To find that take your age and subtract it from 220. During the excercise the muscles supply the body all the lost oxygen during work from your air supply.The muscles require it for the oxidation of fat and carbohydrates. They are done more often and longer. At LEAST 4 times a week. When the exercise becomes too intense, the heart will not be able to provide the muscles with the needed oxygen so they will switch to alternative sources of energy. At this point, further activity will be considered anaerobic.

Such activities are swimming, jogging, biking, etc

They should be done at least 30 minutes a day

poor aerobic fitness can cause

decrease muscle strength

impaired coordination and relfex

difficulty to concentrate

Anaerobic

Anaerobic activity is more intense (70-100% of your maximum heart rate) than aerobic but shorter in duration. Due to this, it is commonly referred to as quality training. Anaerobic activity is based on performing work while running the body with energy from stored sources such as glycogen. In this process, lactic acid is formed in the muscles thus causing you to feel fatigue or discomfort. Lactic acid buildup is why anaerobic exercises cannot be long in duration and are usually segmented into intervalsAnaerobic endurance refers to your ability to sustain intense activity and recover quicker from it. This type of endurance is generally dependent upon your lactate tolerance and removal. Weightlifters try to keep the time between their sets of repetitions as short as possible. This way they are developing both their musculature and anaerobic endurance.

Of course this is stuff like sprinting, weightlifting, etc.

Poor anaerobic fitness reduce muscle strength, impairs your top running speed, higher fatigue, etc.

If you will be playing any sports......

Sports specific training:

Polymetric

While striving for World sports domination, during the Cold War, Soviet physiologists designed the plyometric training method. Yuri Verhoshansky is the most noted researcher on plyometrics and eventually played a huge part in the popularization of this training form.

Plyometric training produced evident results in sports that required jumping and agility. The USSR and Eastern Bloc have been employing plyometric exercises since the 1960's, it wasn't until 15-20 years later that the Western World would even hear of them. That was partially due to the discrete attitude of the Eastern Bloc towards their training methods. Some athletes were even required not to discuss training with anyone else, almost as if they were working on a classified military project.

Principles

From a mechanical point of view, there are two types of muscle motion: concentric and eccentric.

A. The process of shortening or tightening the muscle is known as concentric contraction. A classic example is jumping - the legs are propelled upward because their muscles spasm and release force on the floor. The concentric contraction of muscles depends solely on neuroreceptors, called muscle spindle that run parallel to the muscle fibers. During physical activity, neuroreceptors get activated when the muscles are stretched with enough force and cause muscles to contract (muscle stretch reflex) by sending a message through a reflex arc in the Central Nervous System.

B. Eccentric muscle contraction occurs as the body, or a particular part of it, decelerates. When an athlete's leg contacts the ground during running, his leg's muscles contract eccentrically, shortening and absorbing the force generated by the inertia of his entire body. This type of adaptation is extremely hard on the body, particularly the joints. The natural elasticity and need of returning to their resting position contributes to the eccentric contraction of the muscles.

Plyometrics exercises allow your muscles to respond more quickly and fully by stimulating the neuromuscular system. In order to make the most efficient use of the stretch reflex and elasticity, concentric and eccentric contractions must be loaded on a muscle in a rapid consecutive manner. What that means is that more power will be produced when tightening the muscles, right after lengthening them.

Training drills

Most plyometric drills are made up of series of jumps. When executing them, one should strive for maximum "air time" and minimum ground contact. Plyometric exercises improve agility as well as explosive power by incorporating elements from both weight and speed training. Plyometric training is very dangerous. It should not be practiced on hard surfaces because of the strain it has on joints, especially the knees.

Double hop

Standing with both feet together, jump up as high as you can. While leaping, try to bring your knees up to the chest. Re-launch yourself as soon as you contact the ground.

Agility

Stand beside a soccer ball or cone and leap over it from one side to the other. Try to propel yourself as high as you can. Remember not to spread your feet apart and to leap momentarily each time you touch the ground.

Forward leap

Set up a line of cones, spaced according to your leaping ability. Start from one end, jumping from cone to cone with your feet together. Try landing near each cone while getting as much height as possible.

Speed training

this will be written talking about soccer but can be applied to other sports

Throughout his development, a player's sprinting ability is acquired mostly during early puberty (between 12 to 14 years of age.) If you already are a grown player (over 16 years old) and your timing on 100 meters is 15.0 seconds, it is not going to improve very easily. However, it is possible to significantly enhance one's speed on the field through a number of methods, which do not involve sprinting.

There are many factors that influence the speed at which one performs on the field. Some of these include reflexes, tactical anticipation, agility and so on. An effective speed training program must incorporate realistic aspects from the game. Speed is not confined to sprinting alone. Soccer players rarely sprint for over 20 meters. It would be more appropriate to concentrate on rapid change of direction, acceleration and most importantly, speed with the ball. Keep in mind these ideas when designing your speed training program.

Fatigue renders speed training useless in terms of gaining additional pace. A well-designed workout should be spilt into intervals so that you can recover and exercise at maximum effort.

Coordination

Not really to sure on this one just do stuff that requires excellent coordination and practice at it for me its soccer juggling. Keeping the ball up (not touching the ground), without the use of the hands or arms. You can use the feet, shins, knees, thighs, heels, chest, stomach, shoulders, back, and head. But its not that easy at first i could only get like 3 times now after many months i can do about 300.

All other stuff and more info just use google! :D

i've been vegan for a little over 2 years now.

i used to be very overweight in my mid teens, ever since i've been vegan and i've cut animal products out of my diet, i've not only became more healthier im more physically fit.

im not going to tell you hey! totally change your diet. that is up to you...

but you would be supprised at how much your body will thank you if you arent consuming hormone ridden meat and fatty dairy products.

eat healthier, that is the best thing you can do for your body.

get some exercise too. i like how you are into riding your bike! that is a good thing.

not only good for you, but good for the enviroment, and can save ya gas instead of having people use their cars.

good luck man, i know how being overweight can suck.

wish ya well

[combat level: 124][skill total: 1,800+][quest points: 260][Mining: ??]

guthan.gifgoodol.gif

AFTER 8 YEARS OF PLAYING - PERM BANNED

neocrosby.png

Go Vegan!

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been 3 and a half weeks since I started this. I am very proud to say I have since lost 28 pounds and am still going strong!

I think I still have about 2-3 months until I am at my goal because the pounds will start to come off slower now I think.

Thanks for the support everyone and just wanted to give a little check in. :D

Well its been 3 and a half weeks since I started this. I am very proud to say I have since lost 28 pounds and am still going strong!

I think I still have about 2-3 months until I am at my goal because the pounds will start to come off slower now I think.

Very good man :D Keep up the good, work!

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Probably one of the best sources of protein, and one of the cheapest as well, is the humble egg. Hulk Hogan said on tv that when he body builds he eats 24 boiled eggs a day. The yolks contain a good amount of fat however. Although fat isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, if you're gonna eat a lot of eggs it might be a good idea to remove the yolk from some of them. If you fry the eggs don't use too much butter.

Biking is a good form of excercise to get started on. For someone who is overweight it can be hard to start out running so biking is probably a good start for you. You might wanna do more than 5 miles though. Maybe start at 5 and add a mile every 3 or 4 days. On a bike you can move a lot faster than running so even 15 miles a day wouldn't be too much considering at 15mph(you outta be able to average that speed) it'll only take you an hour out of the day.

If you have trouble affording a gym membership of 600-800 a year you might want to reconsider getting a bowflex, they're kinda expensive. I'd say your cheapest option is to get an adjustable weight bench that has a pack that can lay flat, incline or decline. A friend of mine got a really nice one for I think 150. Then go buy one of those 300lb olympic weight sets, they're not too much, probably less than 100 bucks and then buy an olympic weight bar and an olympic curl bar. They will have the same ends so you'll be able to use the weights on both. Then you just need some stands to sit out to the side of your bench to hold the weight bar for bench pressing. All that should run you less than 400 bucks if you shop around and you'll have it forever, unlike a gym membership.

Just be careful, it's easy to injure yourself with free weights. Oh and don't do pushups and situps before bed or any other excercising right before bed because it disturbs your sleep and the soreness will make you squirm in your sleep and you'll wake up really sore. The soreness will probably keep you from excercising the next day if you're anything like me, and if you end up skipping days you'll eventually end slowing down and stopping excercising at all...if you're anything like me(yeah, this has happened to me).

Be careful loosing weight that fast. Usually dieticians recommend only loosing a few pounds a week. I hope you arn't starving yourself to loose that weight because if you do your body will think you're starving and lower your metabolism to try and keep you alive. Lower metabolism means less energy so you won't have the strength to keep up your excercise routine. Not to mention your body may consume some of your muscle before the fat and make you weaker because muscle cells when consumed produce more energy than fat and if your body thinks it's starving it'll go after the higher energy fuel first. Also if you excercise it causes slight damage to your muscles(or signifigant damge if you lift weights) and your body has to repair that every day before the next time you excercise and if you don't consume enough protein and other nutrients it has nothing to repair the muscles with.

i've been losing weight over the summer(1stone so far)but now i think i'm getting a lil stuck- any advice on excersise?

my diet is perfectly fine, and i'm excersising by brisk walks for 20-30 mins once min/twice often a day.

i'd like to do a lil more but having a injury/disability to my shoulder means i can't do alot.- any advice on something i can do?

bear in mind that my right shoulder will not move more than above my breast, and it will not support any weight at all( i drop stuff from the pain i get)

also it has to be cheap/free. i have 0 income atm cuz of this disability so i can't really afford gyms and such places

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

i've been losing weight over the summer(1stone so far)but now i think i'm getting a lil stuck- any advice on excersise?

my diet is perfectly fine, and i'm excersising by brisk walks for 20-30 mins once min/twice often a day.

i'd like to do a lil more but having a injury/disability to my shoulder means i can't do alot.- any advice on something i can do?

bear in mind that my right shoulder will not move more than above my breast, and it will not support any weight at all( i drop stuff from the pain i get)

also it has to be cheap/free. i have 0 income atm cuz of this disability so i can't really afford gyms and such places

Well if youve been doing the extact same thing over and over, eventualy your body gets used to how to burn the carbs and eating the same will make you have the same amounts.

Perhaps not try a diffrent work out, but you can try 1 of two things.

Either walk longer (Like add another 10 minutes, each month), or you can keep the same times, yet increase the speed you go at. Either way you increase the amount of carbs/fat/ whatever burnt.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Sluggy I will highly recomend using staff's when walking! Heres a picture of one using it;

{454A5C21-6771-4FF8-B90F-D1802BD969CF}.jpg

This to ease up on the strain on your joints in hips and knees. The staffs also makes you use your arms more which again opens up your chest and strengthening your muscles there.

The price of those staffs varies: http://www.rei.com/category/4500558.htm

But in your case I would reckon you can send in an application to the National Health Insurance Office and im sure they will consent you a pair. Use the wording "for medical purpose" and get your doctor to write them a letter to verify your need.

If your stuck, know its perfectly normal. You will be stuck, maybe for several weeks/months - its now your body is building muscles! Your fat turns into muscles and thats why you think your 'stuck'.

But there are ways to increase your metabolism. Train in intervals: speed walk for at least 2 - 4 minutes (or what you feel you can handle). That means walk as fast as you manage for a set period of minutes. Then slow down to a normal pace for 4 minutes then repeat. Its recomended to do this at least every second day or every day if you have the health.

It is very important to warm up first though. Start by walking in normal pace for 5 minutes, then bend and stretch a litle while, softening up those joints :)

Many thinks jogging its the best training, but I can tell you its equally efficient to speed walk :wink:

If your overweight you should be careful jogging by the way! You can seriously harm your joints.

Speed walking in intervals will help you gain a better condition and increase your metabolism and finally loose weight :D

That form of excersise is free (except from the walking staffs) and healthy.

rejna.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sluggy,

Do you have a mini-tramp? Rebounding is even less jarring on your joints than walking and has many health benefits, one of the big ones being that it is quite lymphatic. you can get a good rebounding workout without ever actually jumping up which means you have from very little to no impact. You would need to buy a good rebounder if you dont have one, about $150-200 us dollars, but that would be your only expense for years. you might even be able to find a second hand one for next to nothing. Just look for a good brand, needak, reboundair, etc, and not one of the $40 dollar models from the sporting goods store. I have an urban rebounder which is the same as needak, and I wouldnt part with it for anything. It's great for afk training too! Here is an excellent everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-rebounding website. http://www.bouncewell.com/

jfroggy