Being a Geek is now "cool" in today's pop culture...

Latinoking

You seem to be confusing accepted with embraced.

No, I seem to be confusing nerd with geek. I honestly don't see a difference and even when I go by the definitions you guys posted on this thread, I fail to see how "geek interests" are cooler or more accepted than "nerd interests".

Yes, being a geek nowadays doesn't get you wedgies and the likes as it did back in the 80's and it is a much more prevalent stereotype that you see more and more often. But it doesn't mean the geeks are getting cooler, it just means people don't care to make fun of them as much as they did in the past. There is still a negative stigma surrounding them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets go to the ever resourceful UrbanDictionary

Nerd

1.) One whose IQ exceeds his weight.

2.) An individual persecuted for his superior skills or intellect, most often by people who fear and envy him.

3.) An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do. Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obesssion with a given subject, usually computers. Unfortunately, nerds seem to have problems breeding, to the detriment of mankind as a whole.

5.) ... Often mistaken for Geeks, who aspire to become nerds, yet lack the intelligence, and end up giving nerds a bad name due to their poor social skills.

Ok now,

Geeks

1.) The people you pick on in high school and wind up working for as an adult

2.) Not to be confused with Nerd. A geek does not have to be smart, a Geek is someone who is generaly not athletic, and enjoys Video Games; Comic Books; being on the internet, and etc.

Only a geek would waste their time on the internet, defining geek on urbandictionary.com

3.) ... Note: Unlike the word "nerd," which is always pejorative, "geek" often carries a positive connotation when used by one of the group. The use of the term by outsiders is considered insulting.

So. A geek is a lesser form of a nerd. From what I gather.

Lets go to the ever resourceful UrbanDictionary

Nerd

1.) One whose IQ exceeds his weight.

2.) An individual persecuted for his superior skills or intellect, most often by people who fear and envy him.

3.) An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do. Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obesssion with a given subject, usually computers. Unfortunately, nerds seem to have problems breeding, to the detriment of mankind as a whole.

5.) ... Often mistaken for Geeks, who aspire to become nerds, yet lack the intelligence, and end up giving nerds a bad name due to their poor social skills.

Ok now,

Geeks

1.) The people you pick on in high school and wind up working for as an adult

2.) Not to be confused with Nerd. A geek does not have to be smart, a Geek is someone who is generaly not athletic, and enjoys Video Games; Comic Books; being on the internet, and etc.

Only a geek would waste their time on the internet, defining geek on [ForbiddenSite]

3.) ... Note: Unlike the word "nerd," which is always pejorative, "geek" often carries a positive connotation when used by one of the group. The use of the term by outsiders is considered insulting.

So. A geek is a lesser form of a nerd. From what I gather.

Where is my number 4 for Nerd?

I want it now.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

A geek was never, is not, and never will be a 'cool' thing.

Being a geek is something that a people almost never choose to become: other's attitudes towards them pretty much decide the whole thing.

Those few who do choose said-lifestyle, are in fact not geeks but nerds as many have established in this thread (mainly symbolised by the fact they don't really care about others perceptions of them).

Suppose next jocks will be the new geeks and geeks will be the new jocks and then geeks will say krap about jocks in ways jocks don't understand.

Ulitmately, no. This all still boils down to sex. A geek/nerd twig isn't sexy. A muscular man is. All it is, all it will be.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Ulitmately, no. This all still boils down to sex. A geek/nerd twig isn't sexy. A muscular man is. All it is, all it will be.

O rly?

Throughout the history of human kind, women have been attracted to men who are likely to be able to take care of them and their future children. As the human culture is evolving, nerds are becoming more useful than muscular men. If that male dominance and that bloody market will continue to rule the world, it will mean that nerds will be more capable of taking care of families, and evolution will eventually favour women being attracted to nerds. This is not necessarily true, since women are getting higher positions in societies, the term "family" is not the same as it has been for thousands of years, and neo-liberalism is being brought to an end as we speak. However, I consider it to be an interesting hypothesis.

What am I? I know about 3 programming languages and 2 markup languages, I use Ubuntu, I have read the entire series of Hitchhiker's, Harry Potter and Animorph. Also, I have an average grade of 5/6 without putting any effort into it. I manage quite well socially, with a few exceptions.

6dv9t4.png

Filesharer.org - Upload your mugshot to support The Pirate Bay!

Women instictively want sexy sons, its basic evolutionary science. Nerds don't give off phenotypic traits that would allude to them having the genes for that. So baring the fact that nerds are amazingly socially awkward, women aren't naturally driven to get with them.

So no, not until the day that all tall, good looking musclebound men are hobos with limited social skills will nerds have a chance of taking over the gene pool. Sorry for ruining the pipe dream.

Also, I've read all of those as well, and I'm not what you'd call a reader. I also know java and matlab, but I'm not what you'd call a programmer. So either make a better case for why you think you're a nerd of merit, or try to attain my sexual attractiveness to compensate, as impossible as that may be.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

@oegly41:

As if the teenage mindset think about having a family. It's high school, no one cares for their future families only the best score for getting laid.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

This also remind me of the Transformers and Star Trek movies. Before they were introduced, jocks made fun of people for watching them. And within 24 hours of the movies release, people were claiming to have loved the shows for years before that and WE were the ones that jumped on the bandwagon.

Screw society...

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Women instictively want sexy sons, its basic evolutionary science. Nerds don't give off phenotypic traits that would allude to them having the genes for that. So baring the fact that nerds are amazingly socially awkward, women aren't naturally driven to get with them.

So no, not until the day that all tall, good looking musclebound men are hobos with limited social skills will nerds have a chance of taking over the gene pool. Sorry for ruining the pipe dream.

Evolution is the keyword here. If the offsprings of nerds or geeks manage better than other, evolution will eventually favour those who get attracted to nerds.

Also, I've read all of those as well, and I'm not what you'd call a reader. I also know java and matlab, but I'm not what you'd call a programmer. So either make a better case for why you think you're a nerd of merit, or try to attain my sexual attractiveness to compensate, as impossible as that may be.

I'm not calling myself a nerd of merit, I'm just wondering what category I fall into. I consider myself to be a nerd, but I think it has a slightly different meaning in Norwegian.

As if the teenage mindset think about having a family. It's high school, no one cares for their future families only the best score for getting laid.

Do you mean that people stop being nerds after high school?

6dv9t4.png

Filesharer.org - Upload your mugshot to support The Pirate Bay!

Evolution is the keyword here. If the offsprings of nerds or geeks manage better than other, evolution will eventually favour those who get attracted to nerds.

That's not how evolution works though.

I don't understand.. nerds have offspring? I thought they just decayed alone in their studio apartments. Also, the evolution principle does not take into account if your children are better off - all that matters is how much you procreate/how many children you have. If I have 5 kids and my friend has 0, I am considered more fit than him. So, since nerds don't have kids, I don't see how they will ever have an evolutionary advantage. I can't believe i'm typing this

hiccup.png

fastortoise, interesting point. I missed that, good catch.

You're confusing sociology and biology mate. One day, god forbid, nerds may be preferred if intellect becomes a main factor of sexuality in our future, but that will not change the genetic desire to have healthy, strong children. Tall, good looking, strong men have been preferred as mates since the dawn of the homo sapien. Only when basic innate sexuality is overcome by a desire to, say, live a more wealthy life, does it ever appear that nerds seem to win out (which theoretically doesn't even correlate anyways since nerds have social ineptitude and lack of confidence that bars them from succeeding in the world).

I'm sorry, but realistically speaking, the large majority of intellect comes from nurture, not nature. Your booksmarts don't mean s**t when it comes to kids, and thus when it comes to one's biological desires.

Note: Let's not talk about evolution, let's talk about biology. For all intents and purposes, humans are no longer evolving. It's a waste of breathe to discuss it.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

This also remind me of the Transformers and Star Trek movies. Before they were introduced, jocks made fun of people for watching them. And within 24 hours of the movies release, people were claiming to have loved the shows for years before that and WE were the ones that jumped on the bandwagon.

Screw society...

But I bet none of them went out like this:

stclas2_001.jpg

:thumbup: