When tip.it was hacked...

HugeBrain

I've been hereing about this a lot and even though i wasn't around for it one thing kept nagging me: "Has anyone taken a look at tip.it with the waybackmachine to recover any of the lost data?"

The website is called: http://www.archive.org/index.php and you can find old versions of tip.it from WAAAAAAAAY back. such as this (kind of hilarious):

By: Silverion

Date: Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 18:52 EST

What i have here ...

OMG I have seen Andrew with his FULL adam. armor! Also he had a special Rune (2 handed) Sword! He agreed on me taking a pic in trade, so LOOK at this pic!

In-game name: Capone1930

Lol with one of this on me i will never go PK lol... or im sure that my friendship with Robin Hood will be in serious danger.

P.S. there will be possible problems this weekend becouse of server migration... boards will be down some hour (i hope so at last but all know this guy called Murphy and his law) if you see any problem and you can reach me at [email protected].

----------------

Now I don't know if this is helpful anymore since it happened quite a while ago but maybe some things could be retrieved...

Hope you find the info interesting!

Huge Brain

It would be greatly appreciated if all submissions would be officially credited to Huge Brain.

How much is your account worth to you? Check out this hot topic: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=775255

web.archive.org isn't too useful for retrieving old posts and threads etc. Only useful for seeing that Tip.It has had the same bland web design since 2001 ;)

oh well... its too bad the picture didn't paste in properly, the old runescape trade windows were quite neat. If one looked i bet you could find some hilarious posts though... i only checked the very first page avaliable.

It would be greatly appreciated if all submissions would be officially credited to Huge Brain.

How much is your account worth to you? Check out this hot topic: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=775255

This is weird... apparently there were player owned houses in the past lol. these original updates are quite cool. wish we got updates so huge now... I believe there was a post about what to do with username hoggers or something and that last post seems like it could work if implemented again.

Item banks and Rune items now in!

By: Lightning

Date: Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 9:04 EDT

The bank has been upgraded so you can now store any item in the bank not just gold. You can keep spare weapons, gems, and any other items you may want to store. You can store up to 48 different items, with a maximum limit of 16 million items per stack.

Runite items have been added to the game! Runite is the most powerful metal in the game.You can buy rune weapons and rune armour from the champions guild. There is an extra item only available as a rare monster drop from a particularly strong monster!

The player owned houses have now been removed. This is because since they were original planned runescape has become much more popular and there is nowhere near enough to go around. Instead the 2 updates above have been included to compensate. The item bank lets anyone store the items they want to, and the runite items are an alternative for people to spend the money they have been saving on.

Account Deletion

By: Lightning

Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 13:17 EDT

Andrew announced today in Irc that he will deleting unused accounts in a couple of days time.

Andrew will be deleting any accounts which haven't been used for 60 days and are less then 30 minutes old and are holding less than 500 gp (in either gold ot objects)

Any account that is over 30 minutes old, or holding more than 500 gp (in either gold , or objects) will not be erased.

which time are you talking about that tip.it's database was hacked? One of the earlier times or the last time that was a major deal where they redid the forums and we all had to re-register?

pandapk2.jpg

I think the OP is referring to the lost Scapeboard data, rather than any hacking fiasco.

No. He's talking about when one of the old Tip It Admins quit and as a last stab at the website deleted a lot of the forum data. It wasn't missing is was deleted by someone who abused their administator powers.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

I think the OP is referring to the lost Scapeboard data, rather than any hacking fiasco.

Hey i've probably asked this before, but didnt you go to squirlmans drop party?

Old funny tip.it moment :P

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln