Pirated movies: Why?

Salad

Look at the demographics of the people who pirate stuff. The majority of them are going to be students who wouldn't be able to afford to legally purchase artist's entire discographies or complete box sets of TV shows anyway.
So they should obtain it for free anyways, regardless of whether or not it hurts sales?

The graph leaves too many variables by nature. As a technology becomes more develops, more people being to use it.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the demographics of the people who pirate stuff. The majority of them are going to be students who wouldn't be able to afford to legally purchase artist's entire discographies or complete box sets of TV shows anyway.
So they should obtain it for free anyways, regardless of whether or not it hurts sales?

The graph leaves too many variables by nature. As a technology becomes more develops, more people being to use it.

I wasn't arguing whether or not it was moral, I was just stating that the majority of people who pirate media wouldn't be buying it if piracy didn't exist, contrary to you buying a TV if you couldn't get news online.

And I'm not sure what you meant about the variables, since the number of people using peer to peer services has greatly increased over the past few years while (as the graph I linked shows) sales have actually improved (though correlation =/= causation and all that). And the number of new users is exactly why you have the RIAA milking ridiculous amounts of money from moms and teenagers for only downloading a few songs, as opposed to the people that download terabytes of media. It's just a scare tactic to discourage the "Well, it's only one album" mindset.

Look, you obviously disagree with it morally -- but why can't you just accept the fact that there is no direct or indirect relationship with pirating and movie, music and game sales? I mean if anything just look at the article Errdoth posted.

When something is free for a user, there's no point in paying to buy the same thing.

There are points in paying for things even if you can get them for free. It's a very prevalent tradition to spend money to get a gift for someone. I mean, you don't see people letting others borrow their flashdrive to download their music as a birthday gift - they buy a CD instead because it makes a more appropriate gift.

Another reason is to support your favorite band, game company, or whatever. It might be a more rare thing than gift exchanges, but I've known people who buy things because to them it serves as an example of their appreciation, and they like the feeling of helping support the people who make the stuff that they are interested in.

Look, you obviously disagree with it morally -- but why can't you just accept the fact that there is no direct or indirect relationship with pirating and movie, music and game sales? I mean if anything just look at the article Errdoth posted.

Regardless of whether or not I believe it morally or believe it to help or hurt sales, the article only addresses large downloads and shows a graph of technology becoming more adopted after development. Not everyone is a pirate who downloads hundreds of songs which they can't afford and I'd be willing to bet that they make up a minority. The graph itself shows no correlation to pirating because there are too many variables to consider. For example, the advancements in gaming platforms have brought gaming to an all-time high and DVDs have greatly advanced the market since 1999, a cheap affordable media disk. If pirating is helping sales, we cannot discern from that graph because we already know that these technologies are rising naturally. But we also can't see if it is dragging it down as there is no projected height over x amount of years. I'm somewhat surprised that others simply accept this article and its implications with submission.

When something is free for a user, there's no point in paying to buy the same thing.

There are points in paying for things even if you can get them for free. It's a very prevalent tradition to spend money to get a gift for someone. I mean, you don't see people letting others borrow their flashdrive to download their music as a birthday gift - they buy a CD instead because it makes a more appropriate gift.

Another reason is to support your favorite band, game company, or whatever. It might be a more rare thing than gift exchanges, but I've known people who buy things because to them it serves as an example of their appreciation, and they like the feeling of helping support the people who make the stuff that they are interested in.

The former is easily overcome by a CD burner and a Sharpie. The latter is not a common mindset for the average person, and certainly is not common among those considering piracy. If you're speaking in reference to those who do not, that was the point I was attempting to elucidate.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Regardless of whether or not I believe it morally or believe it to help or hurt sales, the article only addresses large downloads and shows a graph of technology becoming more adopted after development. Not everyone is a pirate who downloads hundreds of songs which they can't afford and I'd be willing to bet that they make up a minority. The graph itself shows no correlation to pirating because there are too many variables to consider. For example, the advancements in gaming platforms have brought gaming to an all-time high and DVDs have greatly advanced the market since 1999, a cheap affordable media disk. If pirating is helping sales, we cannot discern from that graph because we already know that these technologies are rising naturally. But we also can't see if it is dragging it down as there is no projected height over x amount of years. I'm somewhat surprised that others simply accept this article and its implications with submission.

Re-read my post, I specifically said there is no direct or indirect causes with piracy and sales. I didn't say piracy helped sales, however it certainly does not hurt sales either. It just is there.

Like you said yourself too pirates are a small percentage. And really, excuse me if I don't feel sorry for a studio who is making hundreds of millions off of a movie and still feels the need to complain about pirates "hurting sales".

The former is easily overcome by a CD burner and a Sharpie. The latter is not a common mindset for the average person, and certainly is not common among those considering piracy. If you're speaking in reference to those who do not, that was the point I was attempting to elucidate.

You really think just burning a CD is a thoughtful gift? :?

And as long as we're talking about piracy in general here I, personally, still put in tons of money into the video game industry. If I feel a game is going to last for more than 6 hours or so, or if it is from a reputable company (like Valve), then I will buy it. I do buy plenty enough games. However, the rest of them? Well if I'm really bored I may pirate something, be it an older game or one I just don't care enough about otherwise.

With regards to video game piracy, by the way, I find that used games hurt real sales plenty more than piracy does. When you think about the average consumer, what's the chance of them just buying the used copy for $5-$10 less than what a normal copy goes for? The game company doesn't get profit from the used game, in fact it is a good bit like piracy just that you're trading the physical medium, and you're trading it for actual cash.

Anyways that got off topic a bit, but really pirates are by large generally people who won't pay for a service if they can't get it for free (be it music, movies or video games).

(Also on the topic of video games, but the way I feel is that if they had some sort of rental service for PC games I would be all over that -- and would probably not pirate near as much. Something like using valve's steam service for rentals would be amazing. The fact is a lot of times I don't want to pay $50 or $60 for what surmounts to a 6-12 hour game with no re-playability.)

I'm somewhat surprised that others simply accept this article and its implications with submission.

I read your post and that is why I included the word "others," not "you."

hopesolopatriot.jpg

The former is easily overcome by a CD burner and a Sharpie.

There's no way a burnt cd is as good of a gift as a brand new cd. Like I said, paying for a gift is a common tradition. The only other type of meaningful gifts would be those that have a personal value to them (something you made by your own hands, something that refers to an inside joke between you and them, and at the very worst - a mixed cd).

The latter is not a common mindset for the average person, and certainly is not common among those considering piracy. If you're speaking in reference to those who do not, that was the point I was attempting to elucidate.

Like I said (again), it's not as common as the tradition of gift buying but it still exists. You can't speak for everyone and tell me that the only people who care about the company are those who don't pirate.

I know they aren't CD's, but it still demonstrates that some people do want to help out the bands, companies, or whatever that they like. One of the reasons I have so many band-T's is because I like the feeling of contributing towards a band that made music I enjoy, so it gives me a good feeling of mutuality. They gave me something I like, so it's not that hard to believe that sometimes I would want to return the favor.

There's no way a burnt cd is as good of a gift as a brand new cd. Like I said, paying for a gift is a common tradition. The only other type of meaningful gifts would be those that have a personal value to them (something you made by your own hands, something that refers to an inside joke between you and them, and at the very worst - a mixed cd).
And I never stated it was, as I'm not debating the semantics of what a gift is. Simply that people do it.

I know they aren't CD's, but it still demonstrates that some people do want to help out the bands, companies, or whatever that they like. One of the reasons I have so many band-T's is because I like the feeling of contributing towards a band that made music I enjoy, so it gives me a good feeling of mutuality. They gave me something I like, so it's not that hard to believe that sometimes I would want to return the favor.
I'm just stating that is not common practice. "Why did you buy that Tee?" to which, "Because it looks cool," is usually the answer. I applaud you for your practices but it's not common.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

And I never stated it was, as I'm not debating the semantics of what a gift is. Simply that people do it.

But your other point was that paying for merchandise in order to support your favorite band or company was such a rare thing. I would think you would abide by the same standards and realize that giving someone a burnt cd as a gift is also a very rare thing.

I'm just stating that is not common practice. "Why did you buy that Tee?" to which, "Because it looks cool," is usually the answer. I applaud you for your practices but it's not common.

But I've already specified that it is rare. You just reiterated what I said and used it as a counterargument. It's a given that this is a rare practice - I said this in my first post.

In other words, I was saying it was a small point, but still a point that should be taken into account nonetheless. You countered by telling me it was a small point.

To be honest Zierro, I am lost at the subject. Both aspects are negligible in this case. Am I correct in assuming that we both hold similar opinions but the message was poorly conveyed on my part, as I feel it was?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

To be honest Zierro, I am lost at the subject. Both aspects are negligible in this case. Am I correct in assuming that we both hold similar opinions but the message was poorly conveyed on my part, as I feel it was?

I don't know... I don't think that just because someone can get something for free that there is no point to use their money for it. I was mainly arguing against this point:

Gift exchanges are a big part of our tradition (Christmas, birthdays, graduation, etc.), and paying to support your favorite company might be a much more rare tradition, but it's still a reason to pay for something even if there are means of getting practically the same material for a cheaper price.

These people get way more money from concert tickets than album sales. And pirating can only help concert sales.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

These people get way more money from concert tickets than album sales. And pirating can only help concert sales.

I agree, it allows me to listen to artists I would have never heard of and actually go or want to go to a concert if they come near here.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Well there are obviously pros and cons to each of these situations..

Pirated (my fav)-Saves you 8$ but you watch in crappy quality, you get what you paid for :D...No wait you didn't pay wooh!

Movies (still good)-If the movie is really worth watching I go to the movies..A nice example of this is The new transformers movie that comes out tommorow...You pay 8 bucks+food+drinks..Sets you back a 20 but you get good quality!

Personally i think you "Grassess" should stop caring so much its not really a problem...

Pirated (my fav)-Saves you 8$ but you watch in crappy quality, you get what you paid for :D...No wait you didn't pay wooh!

Not DVD rips.

Unless your talking about movies in the theater.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

The whole crappy quality argument is pointless, don't download cams, just get the DVD Rips. In Aus I could get a DVD rip before a movie comes out cinemas more often than not. With Blu-ray out I can even get full HD movies.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!