Pirated movies: Why?

Salad

Showing a class a cool movie isn't stealing.

Pirating isn't stealing either, it's copyright infringement. If you don't know the difference then too bad.

Though isn't "public display" still copyright infringement?

I remember the stuff awhile back, the warnings that said you are not supposed to show them in public areas, which should cover schools, would it not? (Since Prisons were a listed example.)

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showing a class a cool movie isn't stealing.

Pirating isn't stealing either, it's copyright infringement. If you don't know the difference then too bad.

Though isn't "public display" still copyright infringement?

I remember the stuff awhile back, the warnings that said you are not supposed to show them in public areas, which should cover schools, would it not? (Since Prisons were a listed example.)

It's the same effect, just on a larger scale. :)

Have fun watching movies from ten years ago as the entertainment market crumbles into turmoil. There are several consequences to that kind of thinking.

No, I'll have fun watching movies from talented filmmakers who are passionate about making movies, regardless of what kind of budget they have and what kind of money it makes.

If movies stop making as much money because of piracy (which is not the case, piracy doesn't affect movie sales at all) the only difference is we will see less big budget movies to safe franchises.

I'm somewhat bemused at people working without pay. Actors are not the only thing that goes into a film, especially quality films where money surpasses nine digits. Soon after, the theaters close which results in a slight decline in local revenue and job positions.

I can assure you that piracy does have an impact on both live films and physical media. Why pay when you can watch it for free in the comforts of your home?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Have fun watching movies from ten years ago as the entertainment market crumbles into turmoil. There are several consequences to that kind of thinking.

No, I'll have fun watching movies from talented filmmakers who are passionate about making movies, regardless of what kind of budget they have and what kind of money it makes.

If movies stop making as much money because of piracy (which is not the case, piracy doesn't affect movie sales at all) the only difference is we will see less big budget movies to safe franchises.

I'm somewhat bemused at people working without pay. Actors are not the only thing that goes into a film, especially quality films where money surpasses nine digits. Soon after, the theaters close which results in a slight decline in local revenue and job positions.

I can assure you that piracy does have an impact on both live films and physical media. Why pay when you can watch it for free in the comforts of your home?

But the argument doesn't hold up, because people still pay. The ones who aren't paying probably wouldn't anyways. There are also a number of people like me who pirate, then pay for the good stuff. Piracy hasn't hurt sales at all, and in some cases actually helps. Where pirated versions are better than the legal counterparts (for example TV shows, they are high quality and no commercials) traditional numbers have gone down, but DVD sales are even higher.

Piracy doesn't hurt the movies or music industry, and it just hurts the advertising part of the TV industry (but DVD sales make up for that), so it isn't causing job loss. And the reason theaters are shutting down most likely is because it costs $6 to see a matinee movie (not bad) but if you want to eat and drink something it is $6 more at least. They charge exorbitant prices for everything.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Because movie theaters are garbage. They're uncomfortable, you have to deal with the other customers, they do everything they can to make the experience miserable for you UNLESS you agree to fork over extra cash, etc.

If I could buy a DVD on the day of the movie's release, I'd do it. I'd do it gladly.

But the argument doesn't hold up, because people still pay. The ones who aren't paying probably wouldn't anyways. There are also a number of people like me who pirate, then pay for the good stuff. Piracy hasn't hurt sales at all, and in some cases actually helps. Where pirated versions are better than the legal counterparts (for example TV shows, they are high quality and no commercials) traditional numbers have gone down, but DVD sales are even higher.

Piracy doesn't hurt the movies or music industry, and it just hurts the advertising part of the TV industry (but DVD sales make up for that), so it isn't causing job loss. And the reason theaters are shutting down most likely is because it costs $6 to see a matinee movie (not bad) but if you want to eat and drink something it is $6 more at least. They charge exorbitant prices for everything.

$12 US? God, I'd love to pay that sort of price, as it is, it costs around £12-13 once you factor in everything (minus bus fares).

Really, the prices are that high now that I barely consider it unless I really want to see the film, if I don't want to see it, I won't even bother downloading.

If a film doesn't make me want to pay that sort of price, then it simply isn't worth it to me, and I won't bother with it at all.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

The main reason that all these people do this is because of all the red tape involved in being able to play it on any device that they so choose.

Lets say I had two DVD players: one from the American Region, One from the European region. If I wanted to watch the movie on the European one and I only had the American version, then I would have to go out and buy a whole new movie with that particular region coding just to watch it on the European one; likewise in reverse.

The matter also isn't helped due to this fact and since a large number of people are not aware of of tools that would remove the coding which would in turn free it.

I think someone also mentioned "copyright infringement" that is noted under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. While many countries have legislation that is similar to it, these laws cannot be enforced in places where there is no law/ruling on the matter. In turn, groups like the MPAA/RIAA/And other equivalents, the MPAA/RIAA don't actually own the copyrights on the material they are suing over, have begun pushing for isp companies to throw people off the internet just for being suspected of infringing. Let us not forget Britain where if you can hear someones radio or tv you can be charged for a performance if someone else can hear it or in France where there is currently a push for a "three strikes" law and then you are kicked off the internet.

Here is another great example.

What if I/you/anyone else comes across, or has heard about, a movie/song/TV show/anime/whatever that is only in that countries tongue? What do you do then? If it hasn't been translated into any other language in all the time it has been out, would it not be okay to "pirate" it then beings as there is no other way to obtain it? Examples of groups doing translations on matters such as this can be found all over the net.

There are also studies showing that a lot of the pirating is due to being underserved as a customer.

So...When you say "pirating", I say that there are al ot of underserved customers waiting to be tapped

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

:thumbup:

I wouldn't pirate recently released movies, which are still in the movie theaters for a few weeks. I find that disrespectful. But after that, once its out on DVD and on TV, pirate away.

$150M to make a movie? Either get your priorities straight or stop hiring over-used actors. Sheesh.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It really wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I have a photographic memory, at least from one perspective him recording it is very similar to me closing my eyes. The only other difference is that he can copy it, but if I were better at telling stories I could also do the same.

One thing to remember, copying is not the same as stealing. If I visit your house and stole your favourite book, you are left with no book. If I write a copy of that book and leave with that you have lost nothing - you still have your book and can read it when ever you want.

Copying = fundamentally different from stealing

Currently, the entertainment business is in a rut. Pirating is illegal but it has driven prices so high that realistically, you can't afford to see movies the legal way.

High prices have nothing to do with piracy. Well, the company might raise prices and blame it on piracy but it is just an excuse to raise rates. Piracy doesn't affect the amount of legal viewers. Well, it doesn't affect it all that much. And it works both ways, piracy can hurt movie sales a bit, but it can also help them.

Piracy=fewer customers=less profits for movie theaters=higher ticket cost=fewer being able to afford fare=rut.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

What's up with all these goody-two shoe narc threads that seem to be invading the Offtopic? yes i consider two an invasion.

This is what you should do when you find a movie pirating site:

WATCH THE MOVIES

and save a buck. Not all of us can spend 10$ a ticket everytime a good movie comes out.

Precisely, that's why people should adopt the OP's attitude.

Quite honestly, I see this biproduct as a positive side-effect. The entertainment market is an atrocity, it's downfall could mean that it could be rebuilt - but better. I can't say precisly, but I'm pretty sure that Pirates of the Caribean: At World's End (the third one) cost more to produce than the 2nd trilogy of Star Wars as a whole. That's a crap load of money. And for what? to see some ugly Kraken's individual tenticles move? Not too mention that actors are way over glorified, and way over paid. Them and athletes deserve so much less than they have. They entertain us. Big friggin' deal. Half the time, my friends are more entertaining. And I don't pay them 10$ (US) to hang out with them for 2 hours. I think pirating will eventually lead to the downfall of Hollywood. And I say:

"Walk the plank"

I think pirating content is actually saving the entertainment world.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

What's up with all these goody-two shoe narc threads that seem to be invading the Offtopic? yes i consider two an invasion.

This is what you should do when you find a movie pirating site:

WATCH THE MOVIES

and save a buck. Not all of us can spend 10$ a ticket everytime a good movie comes out.

Precisely, that's why people should adopt the OP's attitude.

Quite honestly, I see this biproduct as a positive side-effect. The entertainment market is an atrocity, it's downfall could mean that it could be rebuilt - but better. I can't say precisly, but I'm pretty sure that Pirates of the Caribean: At World's End (the third one) cost more to produce than the 2nd trilogy of Star Wars as a whole. That's a crap load of money. And for what? to see some ugly Kraken's individual tenticles move? Not too mention that actors are way over glorified, and way over paid. Them and athletes deserve so much less than they have. They entertain us. Big friggin' deal. Half the time, my friends are more entertaining. And I don't pay them 10$ (US) to hang out with them for 2 hours. I think pirating will eventually lead to the downfall of Hollywood. And I say:

"Walk the plank"

I think pirating content is actually saving the entertainment world.

:thumbup:

That reminds me of that South Park episode about pirating. The kids revealed that only the greedy musicians cared about their CD's being pirated and only those artists who really loved music did not mind people listening to their music for free.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Ha, I just use a filesharing service on my campus, one that requires that all new users upload at least two gigabytes of data, so there's plenty to go around. This one guy who I've downloaded a lot from has nearly a TERABYTE of DVD quality movies that he's shared, it's so awesome (and he's one among thousands). Hell, my roomate used the service to watch Watchmen before it was out in theatres. I don't know how, but he did.

When I get back on campus I'm going to dowload so much more, definitely the new Fast and the Furious first :thumbsup: . Now I'll back to watching Ocean's Thirteen (awesome).

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Currently, the entertainment business is in a rut. Pirating is illegal but it has driven prices so high that realistically, you can't afford to see movies the legal way.

High prices have nothing to do with piracy. Well, the company might raise prices and blame it on piracy but it is just an excuse to raise rates. Piracy doesn't affect the amount of legal viewers. Well, it doesn't affect it all that much. And it works both ways, piracy can hurt movie sales a bit, but it can also help them.

Piracy=fewer customers=less profits for movie theaters=higher ticket cost=fewer being able to afford fare=rut.

It's flawed thinking to view pirates as potential customers. Sure, there might be a small percentage out there that would go see more movies if they didn't pirate, but that is a crazy low percentage. Think about it, most people who pirate movies pirate them because they don't care enough to go spend $10 to see it. I don't really pirate movies but I would have the same method of thinking. I'll go see the stuff in the theater that I really want to watch, just because it's a better experience then, but other movies? I'd just pirate it.

Also a lot of pirates pirate the video and go to the theater. Needless to say, with any sort of piracy, a pirate does not equal a lost customer. Anything I pirate, personally, I would not have bought anyways.

Ha, I just use a filesharing service on my campus, one that requires that all new users upload at least two gigabytes of data, so there's plenty to go around. This one guy who I've downloaded a lot from has nearly a TERABYTE of DVD quality movies that he's shared, it's so awesome (and he's one among thousands). Hell, my roomate used the service to watch Watchmen before it was out in theatres. I don't know how, but he did.

When I get back on campus I'm going to dowload so much more, definitely the new Fast and the Furious first :thumbsup: . Now I'll back to watching Ocean's Thirteen (awesome).

Man, that's awesome. Too bad my campus doesn't have anything similar. Also as far as the watchman thing goes, a lot of people end up leaking a video before it is released. It happened with the wolverine movie, for instance. The fact is with so many people that probably work on a movie the chances of someone leaking it online is pretty large.

Let me put it this way:

There's no way I'm paying $30 for the DVD of HSM3 just to see some extra behind the scenes clip that I don't care about or $6 for the movie which I have to hold my pee for the whole time. I'd rather just spend $3 for the pirated version which I can pause/eat anything I desire at anytime during the movie.

Also, watching pirated films with your friends is a really great activity.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Probably wouldn't? That's not a safe assumption to make. For instance, I do not have a television in my household and the only way I am able to view the news or television shows is through legal websites such as Hulu. Now, what if these websites did not exist? I'd probably buy a T.V. at least to watch the news. When something is free for a user, there's no point in paying to buy the same thing.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Join us, Salad.

The Pirate way of life is dirty and dangerous--but you will be handsomely paid in digital data dubloons, snatches of this album and pieces of that movie.

I understand that your principles are clear...but you have stumbled upon an entire hive of us.

Which will it be, Salad?

Your outdated principles?

Or the chance to sail a sea of truly free information?

Arr.

Aye, come aboard!

We can lower the gangplank, but it is your choice to board! Feel the interweb's mighty breeze and the spray of the Sea of Blogs on your face!

Avast, ye scurvy dogs! A pirate's life for me!

And whatnot...

But yeah, piracy is the norm today. Get over it.

Ye shall fight the likes of the MAFIAA who seek to steal ye booty and charge for the air ye breathe*. Be warned, ye may be forced to upload over 9000MB of data in the name of ye ol' sharing.

*They be workin' on this still.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

It's flawed thinking to view pirates as potential customers. Sure, there might be a small percentage out there that would go see more movies if they didn't pirate, but that is a crazy low percentage. Think about it, most people who pirate movies pirate them because they don't care enough to go spend $10 to see it. I don't really pirate movies but I would have the same method of thinking. I'll go see the stuff in the theater that I really want to watch, just because it's a better experience then, but other movies? I'd just pirate it.

Actually theres even some very good statistic evidence that piraters increase sales by a significant margin. Most people who watch pirate copies are very media savvy, and will because of the freeness of the pirated copies, watch a far wider range of films than others and as a result will be people who have developed their media awareness and thus are more likely to be a respected source of information about films to their friends and will also be likely to review stuff for their friends which their friends have not seen, who may then go out to the movies to watch it.

How many times do I have to say this? PIRACY DOESN'T NEGATIVELY AFFECT SALES. The small loss of people who would normally see something that instead pirate it is offset by the people who normally wouldn't see something, but now want to because they pirated it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

How many times do I have to say this? PIRACY DOESN'T NEGATIVELY AFFECT SALES. The small loss of people who would normally see something that instead pirate it is offset by the people who normally wouldn't see something, but now want to because they pirated it.

Exactly, I download episodes of House after they air in the US because I don't want to wait about 6 months for them to be aired in the UK or almost 12 months for the DVD came out. If I didn't get to watch them sooner I might lose interest in the franchise. I have almost all the 5th Season but I fully intend on buying the DVD when it comes out because I know it's worth it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Exactly, I download episodes of House after they air in the US because I don't want to wait about 6 months for them to be aired in the UK or almost 12 months for the DVD came out. If I didn't get to watch them sooner I might lose interest in the franchise. I have almost all the 5th Season but I fully intend on buying the DVD when it comes out because I know it's worth it.

Same here. If BBC America actually kept the same airing dates for Doctor Who and the other UK shows I watch (hell, I'm not even sure they've finished airing the fourth season of Dr. Who over here) I'd gladly watch them on TV, but having to wait months to watch something just sort of kills the excitement that comes from watching it when it airs originally and bothering friends with what you think will happen :P

Probably wouldn't? That's not a safe assumption to make. For instance, I do not have a television in my household and the only way I am able to view the news or television shows is through legal websites such as Hulu. Now, what if these websites did not exist? I'd probably buy a T.V. at least to watch the news. When something is free for a user, there's no point in paying to buy the same thing.

Look at the demographics of the people who pirate stuff. The majority of them are going to be students who wouldn't be able to afford to legally purchase artist's entire discographies or complete box sets of TV shows anyway.

Oh, and graphs: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/jun/09/games-dvd-music-downloads-piracy

Join us, Salad.

The Pirate way of life is dirty and dangerous--but you will be handsomely paid in digital data dubloons, snatches of this album and pieces of that movie.

I'd rather get some snatches from that movie.

I have 2200$ of softwares. If I was to make money from them (they're pro quality, there's actually only two), I'd buy them, but it's just as a hobby.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!