Ads coming to Xbox Live?

Verminox

http://xbox360.qj.net/Microsoft-to-brin ... aid/132630

You may very well expect advertisements on your Xbox Live within this year. Microsoft has just announced that they will be bringing rich media technologies to their online service, with Silverlight spearheading the pack.

Silverlight functions as that gateway for advertisers to bring their interactive, interconnected online campaigns across multiple platforms. With this in the program, companies will now be able to build their ad campaigns that span four screens: desktop, television, mobile phone and Microsoft Surface.

That aside, one of the main considerations when talking about ads in this medium is how intrusive it will be. According to Media Post, the "Silverlight-powered media on Xbox will have the same appearance as ads seen on a Web browser."

Said Sean Alexander, director for Microsoft's Advertising Business Group, "We are just starting to scratch the surface of what's possible. As a marketer, your job is to build an emotional connection with the brand, no matter the platform."

Are Microsoft getting even more greedy? How can they charge their customers £40 a year and put ads on Live.

k9999-crazyarm.gif

Greedy? They're a company, it's not greedy to try and make more money.

I really hope it's not going to be popping up during games and movies and stuff though, just on the dashboard menus.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Though really, it does appear that they are just trying for more money.

I say again, they are a company. You make it sound like going for more money is evil.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I say again, they are a company. You make it sound like going for more money is evil.

When they already charge their customers for an online service, you don't want to see ads.

That being said, I'd hate to get ads with the PSN, but, I don't have to pay, so I wouldn't complain.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

When they go overboard. If the service costs too much and they put up ads, its usually going overboard in getting money.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

How exactly does the service cost too much? It costs about as much as RS membership, it's pretty good. Ads won't be a problem just as long as it doesn't take up half the screen in a game or video. If it's just in the dashboard, who cares?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

As long as the ads don't lag my Xbox up I could care less about them. It would be nice if they could reduce the cost of Live for us, but I doubt that will happen.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

As long as they are only in the dashboard I don't care, otherwise I will send an email to customer feedback with a subject saying the expanded version of fgsfds.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

As long as the ads are connected to gaming in some way I don't mind. I don't want to see crap about car insurance.

Agreed. It's fine if I see an ad about Call of Duty or something, but if it's Geico ads, no.

How exactly does the service cost too much? It costs about as much as RS membership, it's pretty good. Ads won't be a problem just as long as it doesn't take up half the screen in a game or video. If it's just in the dashboard, who cares?

I don't personally know the price of xbox live, but usually console stuff isn't cheap.

Besides, adding ads onto a system whose sole purpose is to enterain, is hypocrital and annoying. I don't see anybody having fun watching at ads. Ads are getting everywhere, and quite frankly, its pissing me [bleep]ing off.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It's smart; EA tried in-game ads a while ago and plenty of people refused to buy said software due to it. In this case, Microsoft is adopting a different approach, and putting it on the dashboard where you really can't get away from it. Either suck it up and deal with the ads or don't subscribe to LIVE and have any multi player experiences confined to the room with the x-box in it. Tricky tactic and it will probably work unless they get enough people refusing to use LIVE which makes the Ads counter-productive to their goal, which I really don't think is going to happen.

And from the sounds of things, it's going to be whatever ads they want from any company that is interested.

Microsoft aren't Google, targeted ads isn't their style.

I never use the dashboard. :D

Changed the settings so when the 360 turns on it auto loads the game, bypassing the dashboard.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!