Official year of upgrades / Month 7 / FAILS

canadiansmurf

I will continue posting my thoughts on the year of upgrades as I want to highlight that this year is shaping up to be one of the worst RS years. Ever.

I don't like being negative but I want Jagex to realize that the direction they are taking RS is not a turn for the better.

More games are on the market daily, we have more choices now than ever, and there will be other games that will attract our attention. RS is special, while I play rarely now, I want this game to still be a good game.

I hate to see this year of updates turning into a year of downgrades.

Since my last post, Jagex has tackled agility. While it's a great idea to have rest and to essentially be able to do everything faster, this update has essentially ruined the agility skill. There is very little point in training agility past the short-cuts.

In my opinion killing a skill to please new players and f2p without putting in benefits for higher levels beyond clothing is just wrong.

Why level agility besides a 99 cape now?

Also in true jagex fashion, while they try to fix things they make things much worse like the PVP 26k trick, that is ruining the economy.

It's ironic that the party room which was a beloved fixture for years on RS was removed from so many worlds while the new pvp allows wealth to be directly generated in the players account with such little risk. Another example of the illogical thinking jagex has.

Also why exactly is the Grand Exchange still in beta version two years after it was created? And why take out lists that were being used by players like the most valuable items list? Again, in this year of upgrades much more seems to be taken away than is given.

Also jagex continues to be out of touch with how people play their game. GOP 50/50 games were being played socially and creating community. Jagex tweaked this to disable that feature. Why exactly was that neccessary? Why change something no one was complaining about. It seems like jagex is focussed on updates that kill community on rs. It's too easy to play this game without ever interacting with anyone else.

The same goes with the most valuable and most traded items lists that were on the GE database. Players were using these lists, but to jagex these lists were boring. Where do they get their ideas from? No player I know ever thought these lists were boring.

And upgrades seems to be a codeword for dumbing down the game, and reducing the effort needed to play it.

I can create a new account today, and it will automatically be created with advantages that took my old character a lot of time to get. This new account will have access to easier levelling, instant access to agility due to rest and the lute players, and once it reaches lvl 20 it can start to generate wealth comparable to a main character using PVP.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all the dudes name is quelmotz...learn to spell his name. Secondly, why don't you practise self restraint. This is the rants forum, and it is open discussion. If people have a different opinion than you, and you have to tell them to get off your threads, you are made out to be an idiot who can't take the heat. And how does posting on a thread need self restraint. I know, damn you Quelmotz for posting on a thread! How could you do that, the integrity of this site has broken!

I will continue posting my thoughts on the year of upgrades as I want to highlight that this year is shaping up to be one of the worst RS years. Ever.

Apparently you weren't around a couple years ago when everything was worse than it is now?

I don't like being negative but I want Jagex to realize that the direction they are taking RS is not a turn for the better.

Negativity created this thread, and your being negative toward Quelmotz...

More games are on the market daily, we have more choices now than ever, and there will be other games that will attract our attention. RS is special, while I play rarely now, I want this game to still be a good game.

First of all, learn how to put together a sentence. Secondly, there have been games on the market for as long as Runescape has been around (a little game called World of Warcraft?). How is this year any different? There is always a steady stream of games coming out for computers and consoles, but that apparently hasn't stopped people from Runescape. And if you rarely play, what the hell do you care what's going on to the game?

I hate to see this year of updates turning into a year of downgrades.

Every year someone complains that Jagex updates are downgrades. What's special about this year?

Since my last post, Jagex has tackled agility. While it's a great idea to have rest and to essentially be able to do everything faster, this update has essentially ruined the agility skill. There is very little point in training agility past the short-cuts.

First of all you used "essentially" two times in a sentence. Next, the rest is there so that people can easily get their run back. Very little reason to train in agility? As you stated, their are the shortcuts. Plus you can get longer run time. I don't know what your talking about.

In my opinion killing a skill to please new players and f2p without putting in benefits for higher levels beyond clothing is just wrong.

But you haven't posted specifically how it killed the skill. It didn't do anything but help the skill. It shouldn't matter to you though since you play rarely. It didn't kill the skill, it just made it easier to get your run back.

Why level agility besides a 99 cape now?

So that you run longer, so that you can get past all the shortcuts, so that when you are in the elven woods place you don't have to worry about all the traps everywhere.

Also in true jagex fashion, while they try to fix things they make things much worse like the PVP 26k trick, that is ruining the economy.

Oh god, the economy! It's always the ruining of the economy! The economy is fine! It is going, people can make money, no ones been laid off, and I don't see what it matters.

It's ironic that the party room which was a beloved fixture for years on RS was removed from so many worlds while the new pvp allows wealth to be directly generated in the players account with such little risk. Another example of the illogical thinking jagex has.

How's that ironic?

Also why exactly is the Grand Exchange still in beta version two years after it was created? And why take out lists that were being used by players like the most valuable items list? Again, in this year of upgrades much more seems to be taken away than is given.

I don't see why it matters if it is in Beta version. It still works. It's probably because it regularly needs updated. I never used a most valuable items list...

Also jagex continues to be out of touch with how people play their game. GOP 50/50 games were being played socially and creating community. Jagex tweaked this to disable that feature. Why exactly was that neccessary? Why change something no one was complaining about. It seems like jagex is focussed on updates that kill community on rs. It's too easy to play this game without ever interacting with anyone else.

Yup, that's Jagex logical plan. They plan to kill off the community in their game! That way no one will play runescape and everyone will be mad! HAHAHA! :twisted: That devious corporation!

The same goes with the most valuable and most traded items lists that were on the GE database. Players were using these lists, but to jagex these lists were boring. Where do they get their ideas from? No player I know ever thought these lists were boring.

Said the same thing twice...as I said, I never used the list. I never thought it was worthwhile.

And upgrades seems to be a codeword for dumbing down the game, and reducing the effort needed to play it.

I'm sorry, but the game is getting dumbed down specifically because Jagex knows that the original version of RS2 was messy. Autoers, scammers. Remember your first time playing? You were thrown into Lumbridge with absolutely no idea what to do. Now new players can easily learn how the game works. There are more and more new players coming in, and Jagex is catering to that crowd, and also the crowd that plays the game because they enjoy it. Why nitpick every bloody thing about the game. If you don't enjoy it, simply leave. You say you play rarely, then what does this matter.

So what if you can create a new account and it will be much easier to play than before? Deal with it! Deal with the fact that you had to play through the game and work harder than the new people playing. What the hell does it matter anymore. Play your original character, do whatever you do with him, and deal with the fact that you had to play through the game harder than the noobies. All veterans are probably kind of pissed, some may not be. I personally don't really care. Because of how much more help there is, the noobs are bothering me, they aren't asking for free stuff as much. And what does agility matter? You don't have instant access to agility anymore, the rest is just there so that you can easily regain your running stamina. You can't run as long as a person with 99 agility, and you can't get past traps and shortcuts.

As I say with everyone else who complains that Jagex is ruining the game, if it's so bad that you have to complain that much, then either A.) Leave B.) Live with it C.) Keep complaining and see how far that gets you :roll:

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Exactly, PvP Worlds are pretty good, Bounty Hunter is fun...

But because you bring up a point I am sure Smurf will tell you not to post here anymore.

I myself GOPed most of my wealth, and I'm not complaining.

I find it was rather lame i could do nothing and yet get 200k+ an hour out of it, nevertheless i milked the hell out of it.

O.O

Fine Ratchet - anyone can post on here.

Actually levelling agility to 99 is pointless currently. Even at level 80 agility it's possible to continuously runecraft without running out of energy. It's currently pointless to have higher agility - if the skill was tweaked this much that it should have been upgraded to reward those who do have higher agility with perhaps more shortcuts or increased running speed. The cape is pretty but there should be benefits to levelling a relatively hard and boring skill.

I'll double check with my friend but I think lvl 99 agility people still fail at elven lands.

Oh god, the economy! It's always the ruining of the economy! The economy is fine! It is going, people can make money, no ones been laid off, and I don't see what it matters.

Inflation matters. Usually I don't agree with people screaming about the economy seems too much like saying the sky is falling, but the numbers don't lie. Prices are going up, and most of my gp is in coins and not items at the moment. This directly affects me. 8 million for rangers boots? The last pair I bought were less than 3 million.

but the game is getting dumbed down specifically because Jagex knows that the original version of RS2 was messy. Autoers, scammers. Remember your first time playing? You were thrown into Lumbridge with absolutely no idea what to do. Now new players can easily learn how the game works. There are more and more new players coming in, and Jagex is catering to that crowd, and also the crowd that plays the game because they enjoy it. Why nitpick every bloody thing about the game.

I remember how much fun and exciting it was to absolutely not have any idea what to do. I had whole conversations with npc's who I thought were other players. For a time I thought other players could kill me like npc's when I misclicked on them so I avoided other players.

Yes I can read how to play rs, but it was funner being shown around by friends who were already playing. Strangers would even go out of their way to show me how to play.

There would be someone standing in a corner of a bank offering to cut my gems, and I would let them because I thought they were performing an essential service. When I was selling items to the general store I would always peek at the items for sale as they were sold so cheaply.

The game before had a truely medieval feel. There were scammers and dangers lurking back in the medieval world. This current rs has lost it's texture and adventure and excitement. The current game is too safe and too sterile and there is much less player interaction because you don't need other players help anymore.

I am ranting because the game I used to play really doesn't exist anymore and it seems with each update Jagex is eroding what RS used to be. It was fun having things be hard and working for an acheivement.

Yup, that's Jagex logical plan. They plan to kill off the community in their game! That way no one will play runescape and everyone will be mad! HAHAHA! That devious corporation!

Cute. I'm not sure what Jagex's plans are although the current RS seems to be becoming more of a cashcow than anything.

I myself GOPed most of my wealth, and I'm not complaining.

I find it was rather lame i could do nothing and yet get 200k+ an hour out of it, nevertheless i milked the hell out of it.

At least GOPing wealth is more honourable than generating wealth through the 26k trick.

I don't think earning 200k + an hour is excessive. PVP can generate so much more than that for much less work.

Why are they a cashcow? BECAUSE THEY ARE A COMPANY.

And what the hell is your problem. So you like scammers and that kind of stuff? Leads me to believe you were one too. Because everyone enjoys getting ripped off and screwed. So what if it's sterile, it's a game that was being used to make real world profit, that was full of people who would screw others over.

Yeah, I much prefer that to today.

Hmm, so I can't post here?

Too bad, I've just posted.

Why, scared of me ripping up your thread again?

Sorry, ratchet has already done the job.

I could rip it up again, but since ratchet has already said pretty much everything I wanted to say, I'll save myself the trouble.

And why make another thread? You could just update your old one.

When did this happen? and how did they stop 50/50 games this is the first i have heard of it.

I agree with you but i dont think jagex are ruining the game as you put it i just think that they have made alot of mistakes on updates.

SUPER.gif

I agree with where smurf is coming from and do agree with him to an extent. Yes, Runescape is missing that medieval feel. However, ratchet is right. When you played RS 3-4 years back, it was a relatively smaller game with an older population and so Jagex was able to be less stringent on security, scammers etc. I, myself did not mind the scammers because I felt if you were stupid enough to fall for it, too bad for you.

However, Jagex is a company and they do have to evolve. If there is more money in getting younger kids into RS, then thats what they will do, and as a result, the game has got easier. Its not really for better or for worse, because there is no way the game cannot evolve.

I wouldnt go so far as to say that their updates are all downgrades however. I think somethings (like Rest) is quite realistic. Having high agility means u can run for longer. You dont really want to rest when ur in the Wildy being chased by a Pker, do you?

equal_ibrium.png

Apparently you weren't around a couple years ago when everything was worse than it is now?

Just saying, I don't know what you're talking about. I started playing over 5 years ago at this point, and I enjoyed it way more a couple years ago than I do now. Which is why I no longer play.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Amount of wealth in PVP drop = amount of wealth your opponent was carrying at time of death.

[/answer]

We already scared off all the RWT'ers, and how is this any worse than what we have now?

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

Just saying, I don't know what you're talking about. I started playing over 5 years ago at this point, and I enjoyed it way more a couple years ago than I do now. Which is why I no longer play.

Maybe it was you who have changed, maybe you have grown beyond Runescape? Maybe you are stuck in the past?

This statement has been said by many about various things, a good example is when the majority of games switched from 2D to 3D, and people said that they enjoyed 2D more, or how about the switch from vinyl to 8 track?, or normal tuna to dolphin safe?

People can not handle change :lol:.

I would hope that it is the first statement that is true, and not the second, and that you have grown, but have yet to realize it.

Prism_Swords.png

The main thing I miss is, back in, I don't know, late 04, going to varock and having the vibrant marketplace feel to it. There were no super price items, phat's and gilded armor were the most valuable thing. Full gilded was 12m I think. Maybe that was 05, I don't know, but anyways, I just remember someone standing outside the bank trying to sell his mask set for 1.3m, and another trying to pawn off a santa hat for a few hundred k. I remember the best way to get money for me was killing druids in the taverly dungeon for herbs (back in the day when they were just called unidentified herb) then selling them for 1k a piece. Or 1.5k if I was lucky. Then I moved onto "merchanting". Back when real merchanting existed. They way I'd get money was go to the fairy world, but dragon daggers for 30k a piece, then buy super poisons for 8k a piece from players, then sell the daggers for 55k, making a 17k profit.

Wow I sound like an old person reminiscing.

It probably is just me, but the game was a lot more fun back then, when goals were more achievable. Let's say I wanted to get a phat now. That's several hundred million. Back then, it was only 10 million or so for a blue, which isn't too bad. There were no super powered weapons really either. When slayer first came out (january 05? maybe?) a lot of people thought abbysal whips were myths, since only one person had 85 slayer. I remember seeing one guy walking around with a blue party hat and full dragon (Or as full as it could be back then), and an abbysal whip, that was the first time I had ever seen one. Haha. Oh well, I'm still reminiscing. I'm done now.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

or normal tuna to dolphin safe?

It was the small amounts of dolphin that gave the tuna that extra kick.

But I can find you a few examples of sequels that failed because the public couldn't handle change. Lineage for starters. Asheron's Call.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The main thing I miss is, back in, I don't know, late 04, going to varock and having the vibrant marketplace feel to it. There were no super price items, phat's and gilded armor were the most valuable thing. Full gilded was 12m I think. Maybe that was 05, I don't know, but anyways, I just remember someone standing outside the bank trying to sell his mask set for 1.3m, and another trying to pawn off a santa hat for a few hundred k. I remember the best way to get money for me was killing druids in the taverly dungeon for herbs (back in the day when they were just called unidentified herb) then selling them for 1k a piece. Or 1.5k if I was lucky. Then I moved onto "merchanting". Back when real merchanting existed. They way I'd get money was go to the fairy world, but dragon daggers for 30k a piece, then buy super poisons for 8k a piece from players, then sell the daggers for 55k, making a 17k profit.

Wow I sound like an old person reminiscing.

It probably is just me, but the game was a lot more fun back then, when goals were more achievable. Let's say I wanted to get a phat now. That's several hundred million. Back then, it was only 10 million or so for a blue, which isn't too bad. There were no super powered weapons really either. When slayer first came out (january 05? maybe?) a lot of people thought abbysal whips were myths, since only one person had 85 slayer. I remember seeing one guy walking around with a blue party hat and full dragon (Or as full as it could be back then), and an abbysal whip, that was the first time I had ever seen one. Haha. Oh well, I'm still reminiscing. I'm done now.

Ya, I loved those good old days. I made most of my money from Barrowsing and I just loved nothing better than standing around Faldor park for hours trying to sell my wares, having idiot teams come in and try to undersell me. Having people trying constantly to scam me. Good times, good times.

newge4.png