Tip.It Times - Total amount of GP in RS?

Eeeeediot

Let me give an example that might clear it up for you. Let's say a blue phat costs ~70mil right now and that you can buy steel bars ~550gp ea. That means you could buy ~127K steel bars with your blue phat.

However, if you would make all those steel bars into steel plates you would get 900gp per plate, or in other words, 180gp per steel bar back. This (intrinsic) value should be subtracted from the total value of the steel bar, because it has nothing to do with what people would be willing to pay for a steel bar if it didn't have 'mysterious high alch values'. So a steel bar would cost ~370gp then. The blue party hat doesn't have any mysterious high alch value, thus its price is still 70mil.

Now dividing 70mil by 370gp ea, shows that you can buy ~189K steel bars with your blue phat. Your blue phat can buy nearly 50% more bars then it may seem in the first place, thus the worth / buying power of rares is actually a lot higher then it seems too.

this argument that rares are underpriced does not make sense. :? what gives the blue phat its 70mil value in the first place? using your reasoning, there would never be a "right" price for rares. you would always be able to argue that you can cash your rare in for more steel bars than the initial trade through a process of high alching. also, would any1 be willing to pay the "full" amount of steel bars for a phat? the answer is no, because steel bars, like partyhats, can be resold. steel bars are not limited to be smithed and alched. even if the buyer does alch his steel bars, he is not limited to spend the money he receives from alching on another stash of steel bars.

as for your article, id have to disagree. smithing is grossly overcalculated, for the following reasons:

1. people have massive amounts of steel plates just sitting in their banks

2. a good chunk of the smithing exp came from items other than steel plates. iron and rune smithing account for a particularly large portion.

3. in the earlier days of runescape, smithing was not power leveled using steel bars. power leveling did not really begin until bluerose13x revolutionized the rs economy by hitting 99 smithing and unlocking all of the rune items.

combat is under-calculated. 200k per person is way too low of an estimate. there are individuals with around 100-200 mil combat-related exp, think about how much gp they alone would have produced.

btw, im curious, how did you come up with the total exp amounts?

adolpha2mp.png

[Jarkan (retired)]-[2001-2003]

[Adolpha (retired)]-[2003-2004]

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one big factor missed was the price for shops, shanaty passes, alkharid gates, and everything else that we use daily. it may all be in small amounts, but howmany times a day do we use those? they eventually add up to millions easly.

I disagree that the value of a Rare (in your example a Blue Phat at 70mil) is underpriced. It's not player perception of the Rare prices it's their perception of the Steel bar prices. The rare isn't worth more than the real 70 million gp if you buy steel bars, it's that steel bars are really "worth" less than 600gp each. It's the same if you traded another item for steel bars, you think your actually getting more for your items worth, but your actually getting more for your steel bars worth because they have a ROI after usage.

I disagree that the value of a Rare (in your example a Blue Phat at 70mil) is underpriced. It's not player perception of the Rare prices it's their perception of the Steel bar prices. The rare isn't worth more than the real 70 million gp if you buy steel bars, it's that steel bars are really "worth" less than 600gp each. It's the same if you traded another item for steel bars, you think your actually getting more for your items worth, but your actually getting more for your steel bars worth because they have a ROI after usage.

I didn't say rares were underpriced, I said the effective buying power of rares is larger then people may think. Yes it's true you can argue otherwise, which is what I basically showed too, that steel bars are worth less then 600gp each actually, and that any item's buying power of steel bars is larger then it seems.

However the point I wanted to make is that total steel bars you can buy with the phat is not only 127K steel bars which it seems at first, but it's actually 189K steel bars. What I really wanted to show with this is that high alch values have to be subtracted from the item's value if you want to know what your buying power really is, and if you want to determine how prices of items relate to each other.

btw, im curious, how did you come up with the total exp amounts?

Number 2000 on the hiscores has x exp and number 3000 has y exp the total exp of all people between 2000th - 3000th is, roughly estimated, 1000 * (x+y) / 2. If you do this various times and take the intervals small enough, this should give a very reasonable and accurate estimate.

That is what I was trying to say Duke. It's not that Party Hats give you this buying power, it's that the High Level Alchemy allows you more for your buck when it comes to Steel Bars. There is no difference in using a 70 million gp Phat item and a 7 million gp Armor item to buy the steel bars. It is still the High Alch ROI that gives you more for your buck, nothing to do with the buying power of an Item.

hey hi duke im sniper pro here hav u counted in the thieving skill...

there has been this thieving autoer goin arnd.. and has introduced billions and billions of gp into da game.. i suggest jagex shud remove the thieving skill =0

WOW....... Very nice calculations :-D

I never knew there was more than a bil gp in rs.. Then again that must be why I have a D in math.. :-(

Hehe, considering Duke Freedom and r2pleasant each have 1 billion in cash...they're not the only ones I don't think, either.

panoramiadk9.gif

he forgets the relatively big f2p money sink, well as big as f2p can get... 60 gp per trip to karamja...

It's not that big compared to other money sinks.

Anyhow, that was very interesting to read. The only possible inaccuracy that i could spot was the smithing one:

I calculated the amount of gp created by smithing the same way. The first 200,000 players got 63,500mil exp combined; 46,000mil exp after steel plate smithing. 46,000 divided by 275 exp for a steel plate means 170mil steel plates. 170mil steel plates times 1,200gp is 200 billion.

I think that may change a little bit given that since late RSC / early RS2 many higher level smiths made knives and arrowheads out of their bars. I'm thinking that a fair amount of that XP may have been gained making rune armor as well.

I agree, not many people level with steel plates now, there are better thing to alch. More people use knives and arrowheads,

mithmnoob,Weird%20Piggy2.gif

Currently: Skilling

• 1 month later...

what about the fellow legends...yes when i mean legends i mean the first 10 people ever to play runescape.. after figuring out that rune was involved (the best amour in the game back then) every1 went for smithing... but over time passed the hunger for rune went crazy. The plates were 10 mill at one point then up to about 20 mill ... R2h on the other hand was sold to pures for 13 mill. a full set of rune was about 35-50 mill. Addy was about 800k a plate. Now were did the money come from for that... when Rs was about 1 year old .. There was almost 689 mill in the game.. Certs were about 10k each for the rune makers ... but over time passed to about 4 years ... bam the game flew to 5,000 people wow was this amazing! And the total amount of money in the game was over3 bill by that time.. every month from there it just about doubled and more and more people played the rune makers made a group and called them selves the the 17 Heros... after they decided that, they were the first clan ever made. as people got higher in there levels money flew around.. and rune was cheaper! because of all you NEW PEOPLES!!!!!!!!!

Around this time there was 80 or more bill involved but over 4 more years it came out to be 800+ bill but the 17 'HEROS' quit the game around 4 -6 years of playing and the money dropped to about 649 almost 650 bill and over the years runescape has suffered that loss but have gaind over 200 bill... So there is about 800 bill + involved in the game. But the if the 17 heros now called the 17 Legends ever got on again it would add over 600 bill to the game because of there loss ..

Now i said the only took 150 bill bill in loss ... but i insure u that they have over 500 sets of rune each and over 3k sets addy each and over 500 p hats ( no longer to sell) So there is a little over a Trill in runescape today if they got on.

A fellow runescapist

Tks

only problem:

1. the level of the skill

2. People do not start off by making highest level things.

3. So you have to deduct the amount of experince they need until making yews.

(i didn't read the rest)

• 4 weeks later...

i belive theres about 20billion more then you said (no offence) but wow good calculating. :D and to some people :twisted: DO GET MAD AT THE RICH, ITS CALLED WORKING FOR YOUR $$$ :evil: so stop getting on everbody's case for being rich. and stop begging!!!! :x

I am a f2p with 99 smithing and 90 mining.

If i mine 90 runite ore every week and smith them into 40 rune legs or any 3 bar ruinte items (assuming i mine the coal myself) and high alch them, i can produce about 1.1 mill extra money each week into rs economy.

However, no smither of the right mind will high alch a rune leg for 38.4k when they can be sold for 45-50k to other players.

Now when the number of new player start to slow down and the number of runite items become much more easily available (more 99 smither and more rock being introduced due to additional new worlds)

Will rs economy collapse one day ?

Will price of a 3 bar runite items come down to below 38.1k one day? (Less 300gp for a nature to high alch it)

bikini+boybo.png

Buying runite ore 11.6k and runite bar 13.6k

A 100% f2p who believe in hard work and not begging

• 3 weeks later...

I hate bumping this, but I think that you may want to rework your numbers, knowing that freeplayers require better arrows, and the number of high level missile runes and such that come out of the market with the mage arena.

Also increase the number of barrows sets significantly, and their repair. Other things include conveniences (as in removal of gp through travel, boats rugs and the like), and introduction through treasure trails.

I remember doing a calculation similar to yours, and getting a 350 billion or so estimate (about the time you did it, maybe slighly later).

We should probably do it again.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

Yeah, it's been over a half year ago now so a lot changed in the meanwhile. I'm estimating the total gp at 800bil without doing calculations now. I've wanted to redo the calculations for some time already though.

Regarding the game mechanics I expect the change in the effect of barrows to be the most important in the meanwhile. I can't remember any other major additions to the gameplay.

I remember doing a calculation similar to yours, and getting a 350 billion or so estimate (about the time you did it, maybe slighly later).

Interesting (you never said or posted that I believe?). It's good that both estimates are quite 'near' to each other though.

Yeah, it's been over a half year ago now so a lot changed in the meanwhile. I'm estimating the total gp at 800bil without doing calculations now. I've wanted to redo the calculations for some time already though.

Regarding the game mechanics I expect the change in the effect of barrows to be the most important in the meanwhile. I can't remember any other major additions to the gameplay.

Interesting (you never said or posted that I believe?). It's good that both estimates are quite 'near' to each other though.

It was directly with a friend over MSN. Don't have the logs, now, though.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

hmm, since the p-hats, santa's and masks have gone up enoumously since then, i'd have to say there's ALOT more then that now, lol

Thats complete rubbish. Party hats do not equal cash, they equal a value and a worth. Therefore, just because the amount people are willing to pay for them does not mean that the total GP has increased a lot. True, the rise in price could indicate an inflation due to the increased amount of GP introduced to the game, but this would have to be constituted n every item in the game for this to be so. Therefore, no, your tehory does not hold true.

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
only 455 bill? meh duke freedom has that much in his pocket, my educated guess is prolly up in the trills, cause alot of people theive too im not sure if that was counted, not to mention runecrafters crafting nats and selling, also barrows has influenced a bit of money, and im sure everyone knows about santa hats :(

Indeed; and I estimate it's around 2000 billion to be honest.

I myself still have 60 mask sets, 4p hat sets and a few more pumpkins, easter eggs etc from the time I still often played RS, 4 years ago. I honestly can't believe that if I sell it all I have 1% of the total cash amount. Something like .2% would be more realistic :)

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

• 1 month later...

only .2 mill per combatant?

thats like 18 rune meds...

I'm sure people get more than that :P

also you should add crystals bows to the list of moneydrain items, they are actually the items worth the most in all of runescape! (if u carry 4 full bows there is no other item in the game u will keep when you die) and each time u recharge this it costs a lot of money (starting at 900k)

also there is stuff like battlestaffs that drain money (but then again ppl also alch the battlestaffs).

also a lot of low level skills are involved (a lvl 6 guy can still kill a lesser :P)

and there are things like respawns

also money is lost when some1 drops items or dies when no1 picks them up (especially since they reduced the time items stay in rs2).

also there is stuff like questrewards though these are usually pretty low.

you should send a query to jagex though I doubt they would reveil their secrets :P

• 4 weeks later...

This clears something up for me; there are some pics on the internet of a guy named Snowpotter's account, one has the full screen in it with the name by the message line. It had hundreds of phat sets, and all the armor kinds, including 700 full saras. I calculated the net worth of the bank at around 225 billion, and I realize now that this is obviously a fakie, theres no way one guy had half of the total gp. Anyway, nice job Duke on this article, I love all the RS economy stuff.

Has anyone else tried figuring out N0valyfe's net worth? I ended up at around 750 million.

If Bush's war was about money, we'd still be fighting WWII

do you guys relize that article was made over half a year ago???? why are you still posting here??

also, duke freedom himself sad on the holiday item article that was around feb or jan, that the total gp is 800b around now, and by around now, i mean 5 months ago.

So at this rate it should be 1.5T now, maybe less with pohs out.