I don't get it...

fenrir321

According to some people, my posting style is unique and easy to tell apart...but I can't see how, under normal circumstances. Look at all my recent posts. Most of them aren't flame bait or illogical crap.

On topic, I agree with your point of view. It's easy to tell people apart. Most of the major posters here I know quite well, their characteristics, posting style, etc.

So the three types of people in this forum:

1. The trolls and the people that post a lot without much crappy posts. Probably a significant portion of the population here.

2. The newbies and idiots that post crap. Enough said. A huge percentage of the population.

3. The in-between type. They aren't idiotic, but they don't post very often so I don't know them very well.

Wait a second, I don't fit into any of the three categories. The first two numbers go hand in hand and I don't consider myself a troll or an "inbetween type". I post quite a bit but I don't troll, so your logic is kinda weird. I'll assume you place me in the second category though.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

According to some people, my posting style is unique and easy to tell apart...but I can't see how, under normal circumstances. Look at all my recent posts. Most of them aren't flame bait or illogical crap.

On topic, I agree with your point of view. It's easy to tell people apart. Most of the major posters here I know quite well, their characteristics, posting style, etc.

1. The trolls and the people that post a lot without much crappy posts. Probably a significant portion of the population here.

2. The newbies and idiots that post crap. Enough said. A huge percentage of the population.

3. The in-between type. They aren't idiotic, but they don't post very often so I don't know them very well.

Wait a second, I don't fit into any of the three categories. The first two numbers go hand in hand and I don't consider myself a troll or an "inbetween type". I post quite a bit but I don't troll, so your logic is kinda weird. I'll assume you place me in the second category though.

Well, sometimes your posts are inflammatory to the logically-challenged, and since a troll can be:

1. a fierce monster in fairy tales and myths

2. to fish for or in with a moving line, working the line up or down with a rod, as in fishing for pike, or trailing the line behind a slow-moving boat.

one could arguably say you're a troll, albeit a logical and fair troll 8-) .

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

You're in category no.1 although you claim that you're not a troll but you do post a lot of logical posts and stuff like that...

1's are trolls, 2's are people that "post crap" and 3's are the people that you don't know enough to judge. So according to you, everyone that you know on these forums are either trolls or "idiots that post crap"??? o.O

I can't believe I haven't seen that thread yet as I am a huge fan of either the rants or debate forums.

I don't expect everyone coming to the rants forums to be an educated person with detailed arguments to expose his/her point of view. But I expect everyone coming here to vent or debate to be prepared to be challenged. There are things we cannot debates, tastes and likes are an example. If someone comes here to vent : I don't like the new update, it doesn't catter to me and I find the game boring, I can't really argue with that.

But if this person comes here to tell me the game was better before this or that, then it's either a matter of opinion or this person seeks a challenge (someone to tell them they are right or wrong), then I have every right to post my arguments with logic (an aspect of life not everyone has mastered it seems).

As for the repetitive arguments, what can you expect when people seem to rant about the same stuff over and over again. This game is player by teens mostly. You have to take that into account whe judging the general behavior of posters on this fansite. I don't expect them to have much experience in life expecially towards business (which is why lots of players don't understand many of Jagex moves - young F2Pers are a very good example in this case), I don't expect all of them to have proper writing and composing skills (some have English as their second language like me) and some are simply not prepared to be challenged (some of these posters will sometimes tell you to GTFO my thread simply for proving them wrong).

I wish the rants forums were better, but I don't expect it to change that much. One of our biggest loss was Compfreak. Praying to the fairies out there that we don't lose anymore of our most prominent "ranters".

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Well I am not much of a regular poster but I choose topics to post on and usually just lurk around the forums. I just have to say that some of you are the types who enter an argument determined that you are always right. You lack the ability to keep an open mind and arguing with many of you would be equivalent to banging my head against the wall. I don't know if it is stubbornness or you simply cannot handle being wrong but regardless learn to keep an open mind.

Well I am not much of a regular poster but I choose topics to post on and usually just lurk around the forums. I just have to say that some of you are the types who enter an argument determined that you are always right. You lack the ability to keep an open mind and arguing with many of you would be equivalent to banging my head against the wall. I don't know if it is stubbornness or you simply cannot handle being wrong but regardless learn to keep an open mind.

I agree that everyone should have an open mind when coming to either debate or rant on these boards. Sometimes though, arguying with logic will result in someone being right. I don't mind changing my mind WHEN proven wrong or at least not 100% right. As an example, I thoroughly denied every point of Jrhairychest on his debate regarding Pmods for about 4-5 months up until Jagex changed their policy about Pmods publicly.

I conceded a lot of merit to his arguments after that even though they were based on generalisation, they tended to show the truth or at least a "malaise" with Pmods.

Ohhh and if when facing logic you need to throw your head on the wall, you might have a slight problem arguying with me...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Ranting about rants, oh the irony.

The problem is, due to psychology people will either follow one view or not, if they see someone's view and agree with it, then you get similar arguments. Also there is the fact that many people seem to bring up the same rant topics, such as EVERYTIME a new update comes out.

I know it sounds elitist, but most of the time a lot of people struggle to think from different viewpoints or "angles" on a particular topic. It's the difference between subjective and objective.

If you agree with a view, then usually you will only come up with evidence to support your view, as the bias is always there inately without realisation. A large amount of the rants in this forum are lack-lustre in either effort, quality or quantity, as the OP applies a narrow maybe even dogmatic view onto their topic, and either:

a.) completely disregarding/not including the other side's view

b.) including the other side's view, but in barely any depth (and nowhere near the quantity or depth of the inclusion used for their own personal view)

Of course when you have such a strong opinion of a topic that you feel it a necessity to rant about it, you are unlikely to be using a fair or unbiased judgement to weigh up the argument's sides. It is typical of human behaviour.

Basically the OP is talking about psychology. Personality traits are not shown just through body language and facial expressions, also what we write can show others our personality.

Such as that it's possible to tell through my previous posts that I am misanthropic. :twisted:

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

What do you think of me? \' Actually, dont answer, some things are best left unknown.

Personally i think people are just bored when they decide to go to a rant and tear it apart. Every now and then theres a rant like "this person won't leave my hunting spot, is my spot" and "this person called me a noob" and "this person decided to actually use tactics in FOG" And we decide to post on it because we are bored. And to be honest, we seem to find satisfaction in every debate we "win" even if it was lost from the start.

Also I think if they are angry enough to post something in the rants forum, then its a valid rant. Of course a great deal of rants i disagree with... and if someone like quelmotz decides to have a differing view from mine (very common) i net myself a good post count.

O.O