Capital punishment right or wrong?

VEGHATERMEATLOVER

I'm fine with it as a deterant. Especially on people like rapists and pedophiles. Even if it doesn't deter anyone else, it'll stop those people from ever doing it again. Maybe because it's all done in private? I know a good round of public hangings could go a long way to not touching little kids.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I don't think it is right, but it isn't really wrong, either. It can be argued that they deserve it because, for example, they caused irreparable psychological (or physical) damage to other humans, but I think it is the easy way out for them. Let them rot in jail and think about it for 25 to life or whatever the sentence.

I say it is right because it allows us to not spend tons on housing criminals.

Actually, I read somewhere it is actually cheaper to house the criminals. Maybe it was one of my law textbooks. I don't know if it still is, but it was whenever that was written.

Is it really meant as a detterent? I think the fact that it is against the law should deter enough.

Apparently, it being against the law is not enough. And pretty much any sentences you can think of are meant to "deter" you from doing the crime associated with it.

Even if they do fell god awfull they should both tied up and have salt rubbed in there eyes. then they should be beaten up using mLlet type weapons. They should have rubber bullets fired at non essential organs at point blank range and then 10 years of solitary confinement to thin about what they've done.

You were talking about 11 year olds there.

Yet you don't believe in the death sentance.

I'm fine with it as a deterant. Especially on people like rapists and pedophiles. Even if it doesn't deter anyone else, it'll stop those people from ever doing it again. Maybe because it's all done in private? I know a good round of public hangings could go a long way to not touching little kids.

Is it really meant as a detterent? I think the fact that it is against the law should deter enough. Anyone else deserves their sentence.

Well, I think they should be locked up forever, but since that costs a lot of money, for the price of a few ropes and finding a few tall trees, that's much better.

Here's something similar to what I read in that class I mentioned above.

Here is a specific example: In New York State, the average annual cost to incarcerate someone not on death row is about $35,000 per year. On the other hand, in the years since 1995, when New York State brought back a death penalty law, 7 people were sentenced to death, none had more than one appeal and 3 had not even had their first appeal. New York shelled out well over $200,000,000 for its capital punishment system since 1995. Assuming each of the 7 men lives for 40 years the cost to incarcerate all of them for life would be under 10 million dollars.

The rest of it can be found HERE.

Just an FYI, capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent at all. States with no capital punishment more often than not have lower murder rates than states that do.

For 2007, the average Murder Rate of Death Penalty States was 5.5, while the average Murder Rate of States without the Death Penalty was 3.1

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterre ... rder-rates

^ lots of nice graphs to look at

I liked my Criminal Justice prof's explanation of why this is: When people commit crimes they don't think they'll get caught

yes.png

Death penalty should be banned under all circumstances.

1.) It's not a deterrent.

2.) It costs more money than life in prison (not due to appeals, either).

3.) It deprives the person of any right to overturn a conviction from new evidence.

4.) It's not used just for the most heinous crimes contrary to popular belief.

5.) People have been put to death despite being innocent.

6.) It targets minorities (particularly blacks and Latinos).

7.) It's discriminatory against the poor.

8.) Vengeance is not justice (in my opinion).

9.) It's unconstitutional, bearing in mind that it's cruel and unusual punishment.

10.) I wanted 10 reasons, but that's all I got. The state shouldn't have the right to condemn someone to death, especially when it's cruel and unusual punishment.

And this article seems relevant:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... ntPage=all

More than likely innocent man, or at least not without a doubt guilty man, was put to death for arson. The justice system is far too hazy for death; of course I'd oppose it even if it were definitive.

I'm very against Capital punishment, not because it's wrong to take a human being's life, but because it takes it away too quickly.

How many dollars do people in poverty in Africa live on? A dollar or two a month? That's how much we should be paying to maintain prisoners in their 6x5 foot concrete cells. Drains the life outta them very, very slowly. :thumbup:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

is capital punishment right or wrong? in my opinion it is wrong and it only acts as a detterant.

Discuss.

I say it is right because it allows us to not spend tons on housing criminals.

Also allows you to execute innocents. Saw it on the news recently too.

Yeah, because we all know how you can predict the future/read everyone's minds. I find claims like that laughable. There's no possible way to prove that someone wouldn't have done something if there was a different punishment involved. However, simple logic tells us that people are less likely to do something if they don't want to suffer the consequences for it. So what should I believe? Commonsense or statistics, which have the uncanny ability of distorting the truth ever so often?

3.) It deprives the person of any right to overturn a conviction from new evidence.

I agree with this point. I think they should only be used in cases where it's 100% proven that the person committed that crime, such as the crime being caught on tape or something like that.

4.) It's not used just for the most heinous crimes contrary to popular belief.

It should be.

5.) People have been put to death despite being innocent.

Pretty much what you said in number 3.

6.) It targets minorities (particularly blacks and Latinos).

Capital punishment targets minorities or the judge/jury targets minorities? I find that pretty irrelevant to whether capital punishment is right or wrong. You're just saying that it's been used wrongly.

7.) It's discriminatory against the poor.

Another point I agree with. If you can rub the government's back by giving them money, somehow that constitutes as atoning for your crimes. :lol:

Yeah, because we all know how you can predict the future/read everyone's minds. I find claims like that laughable. There's no possible way to prove that someone wouldn't have done something if there was a different punishment involved. However, simple logic tells us that people are less likely to do something if they don't want to suffer the consequences for it. So what should I believe? Commonsense or statistics, which have the uncanny ability of distorting the truth ever so often?

Just an FYI, capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent at all. States with no capital punishment more often than not have lower murder rates than states that do.

For 2007, the average Murder Rate of Death Penalty States was 5.5, while the average Murder Rate of States without the Death Penalty was 3.1

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterre ... rder-rates

^ lots of nice graphs to look at

I liked my Criminal Justice prof's explanation of why this is: When people commit crimes they don't think they'll get caught

Come on, you couldn't even be bothered to read all of the first page?

yes.png

Saying that capital punishment is not a deterrent is not just conjecture. I'd quote some studies but it's late and if you're interested you'll find them yourself. Generally the findings show that it's likelihood of punishment and not severity of punishment that is the deterrent.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Generally the findings show that it's likelihood of punishment and not severity of punishment that is the deterrent.

Well that doesn't explain why people are so afraid of skydiving even though it's very unlikely that their parachute would malfunction. The severity of consequences does have something to do with whether people do things or not. Would you rather skydive and have a 1% chance of dying or would you rather skateboard and have a 10% chance of scraping your elbow?

I think it's a far stretch to say criminals don't care about their own self-interest. I'm not believing your statistics because I want people to die or anything - I don't believe them because it makes absolutely no sense and that it's more logical to assume there is something fishy about the statistics. Sorry, but I choose logic over statistics. Correlation doesn't imply causation, people can manipulate statistics, bla bla bla.

Of course they don't. But they are aware of the possibility, and if they aren't then maybe I'm just giving these people too much credit. :lol: I don't see how people could not care about their own self-interest.

I'm all for it. Shoot them then bill the family for the bullet. Why should I waste my tax dollars housing them when the system ruins any chance for rehabilitation on those with potential to be released, or housing people that will never be released.

SoLawny.png

I'm all for it. Shoot them then bill the family for the bullet. Why should I waste my tax dollars housing them when the system ruins any chance for rehabilitation on those with potential to be released, or housing people that will never be released.

That's why you hang them. You can use the rope over and over again.

:thumbsup:

The rope can be made from the hair on their backs?

SoLawny.png

:thumbsup:

The rope can be made from the hair on their backs?

If not, maybe Robin Williams will let us shave the hair on his arms?

Couldn't you just have giant pit in prisons, it would be easy to make. you just put all the people you want to execute in there and then you execute them by pouring a slight bit of oil in and then setting fire to it.

another way is to shave off there hair and take there clothes, say there going to a kingdom where jews will be respected and loved for. there clothes will be sold to rich nazi familys and there hair used to fill up beds.

after that you send them to the showers to be cleansed, you gas them and then with a sort of tow. pick up all there bodys and then pack them as tightly as possible and drop them in the ocean. GENIOUS!

meatlover.png

Couldn't you just have giant pit in prisons, it would be easy to make. you just put all the people you want to execute in there and then you execute them by pouring a slight bit of oil in and then setting fire to it.

another way is to shave off there hair and take there clothes, say there going to a kingdom where jews will be respected and loved for. there clothes will be sold to rich nazi familys and there hair used to fill up beds.

after that you send them to the showers to be cleansed, you gas them and then with a sort of tow. pick up all there bodys and then pack them as tightly as possible and drop them in the ocean. GENIOUS!

Yes, because all forms of capital punishment are on level with the Nazis. Great argument. Hanging is still a legal form os execution in a few states in the US.

apparently hanging is supposed to be one of the best ways of dying as you die instantly wheras lethal injection is actully really bad.

lethal injection has three chemicals:

what happens is, one paralyzes you so you can't call out for help, you can't scream.

one blocks your breathing so you can't breath and you feel like your drowning but almost like bieng tied to a chair and drowning.

the other one gives a chemical which stops your heart, this is much later if you survive the death by suffocation.

meatlover.png