Windows 2000... I thought Microsoft was giving up?

Hawks

As in after 2008, no longer forcing updates? Does anyone know for sure when they were ending support for it and what exactly that means? I read it to mean no more automatic updates, but that is apparently not the case unless I've got the year of end-of -service wrong.

ie, I was forced to restart (a 10 minute debacle) after it downloaded some random update. I know you can turn that off but I'm not at liberty to do so. And is there any place you can find out exactly what was in it and why it was a required automatic update, and not an optional patch?

All Windows 2000 support including security updates and security-related hotfixes will be terminated on 13 July 2010.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO

It just means that if some bug in Windows 2000 appears in August, it will not be patched. You can continue using the OS but you will not receive anymore updates from Microsoft for the OS itself.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO

Security updates will still be provided up to the dates listed in the link. After that, you're all alone on creating your own Windows 2000 patches :)

Edit: Good timing, laura0077.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

People still use windows 2000?

Wasn't that pulled after like half a yr due to being bug hell and quickly swept under the rug of xp?

Also end of support = BAD BAD BAD as it means any major security things are left open meaning ur computer becomes more vunerable day by day

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Wasn't that pulled after like half a yr due to being bug hell and quickly swept under the rug of xp?

I believe you're thinking of Windows ME.

People use 2000 for many reasons. Alot of people (like Hawkxs) have parents who won't let them upgrade the computer to XP or Windows 7. Others don't see the need to upgrade as they only use computers for things such as email and storing pictures. Those people generally don't worry about viruses, as they only use the internet for emails.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

People use 2000 for many reasons. Alot of people (like Hawkxs) have parents who won't let them upgrade the computer to XP or Windows 7. Others don't see the need to upgrade as they only use computers for things such as email and storing pictures. Those people generally don't worry about viruses, as they only use the internet for emails.

Yes, that was ME. I used to have a laptop with ME and it didnt look like much improvement over 98 SE besides the graphics. (Of course, I was still in grade school and didn't know much about computers back then.)

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

Yes, that was ME. I used to have a laptop with ME and it didnt look like much improvement over 98 SE besides the graphics. (Of course, I was still in grade school and didn't know much about computers back then.)

I thought ME was 200?

Since ME was meant to stand for Millennium aka 2000

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I thought ME was 200?

Since ME was meant to stand for Millennium aka 2000

ME was released in the same year. Maybe six or seven months following Windows 2000?

Meh, used ME for 7 years and I never really hit a bug, mind to give me examples?

Seven years? On your own personal computer? It had a slew of bugs that people still write about, even today.

Edited by laura0077
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Meh, used ME for 7 years and I never really hit a bug, mind to give me examples?

There was a major problem, where as soon as your computer turned on it would pretty much sat "Hi, I'm an ME computer, who wants to talk to me?" to the internet. My Cert II Hardware teacher had his computer full on infected first time he turned it on when connected to the internet.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

ME and 2000 were both released near 2000 (1999 I think).

ME was supposed to be the home version for 2000 however they just reworked the older kernel.

There completely different and if you've ever used both of them you'll know why.

2000 is pretty much stripped down XP where as ME is like a horrible abortion gone wrong.

We manage a fair few windows 2000 PC's still and the only trouble we have is software developers slowly moving away from 2000 (and the fact IE6 is the best MS will provide for 2000, but firefox sorts that out). From a management point of view theres a lot less the average user can toy with and the difference in 2000 to XP is minimal, so its never been worth the cost to upgrade the OS (and upgrade the PC's to cope with it) or buying new PC's.

I completely forgot the support ends 2010 July though so I suppose its time to start looking into new PC's.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I used ME for 7 years it was on the parent's computer, I didn't have my own computer in that time. My first personnal computer that I bought myself was in 2006 and I still use it to this day with Windows Vista which is a very good OS.

I didn't know that ME advertised itself on the network like that, Now I know the reason we had more viruses on that one than on most other computers.