Why does everyone say that Firefox is better than Opera?

runescape_rocks

What is the better browser?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is the better browser?

• Opera
    • Firefox
    • IE pwns both!!

Most people that use the internet don't have a clue that there is a difference between browsers. Then as they learn more, they hear about Firfox due to absolutely everyone praising it. They get firefox and after a while learn that there is another browser called Opera thats also quite good. However, once they have Firefox they see no point in changing. They have no problems with Firefox like they did with IE so why change to something they are unfamiliar with and may even be worse. Not worth the effort.

Btw, I am one of these people :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a really nifty feature of Opera is that it allows you to present yourself to websites as if you were IE. A lot of mainstream websites are hard to browse in with FF, Opera etc, but this allows you to 'pretend' that you're IE, while being secure and tabbed.
Comes as a Firefox extension to those who want it ;)
Nya ha! It's an extension! Not good enough to be as standard eh?
Well yeah basically. Most people wouldn't use that feature anyway so why put it in? :)

Also, there are some problems with using a different useragent... many websites will detect the "opera" bit in it anyway, and if you change it to declare yourself as a plain old IE useragent, some websites will serve you a different version of their code that's written specifically for IE which may format wrong in Opera.

I think a really nifty feature of Opera is that it allows you to present yourself to websites as if you were IE. A lot of mainstream websites are hard to browse in with FF, Opera etc, but this allows you to 'pretend' that you're IE, while being secure and tabbed.
Comes as a Firefox extension to those who want it ;)
Nya ha! It's an extension! Not good enough to be as standard eh?
Well yeah basically. Most people wouldn't use that feature anyway so why put it in? :)

Also, there are some problems with using a different useragent... many websites will detect the "opera" bit in it anyway, and if you change it to declare yourself as a plain old IE useragent, some websites will serve you a different version of their code that's written specifically for IE which may format wrong in Opera.

Ach, every bit of it is true.

One point that I am particularly sore about is the "Information Bar". This was first seen in FireFox and Opera. Then along comes M$ with their "new" Internet Explorer for XP SP2, and when there's even the slightest piece of Javascript or Flash on the page, They prevent it altogether and up comes a box saying "Have you seen the Information Bar?". When I saw that I was like "Yeah I've seen it in Firefox before". They parade it around like it's their own invention and make such a big fuss about "This page is using Active Content. It could compromise your security.", never mind that they were the ones that made the Internet a less secure place by introducing ActiveX in the first place.

Firefox all the way. I can't stand the default Opera UI and I don't particularily feel like dedicating time to making it less painfull to look at. It also has no feature that I require that Firefox does not have, so switching browser would be poinless to say the least.

I don't doubt that Opera will increase in popularity soon enough. When the hype around Firefox dies people who need to feel special/haxxor/randomterm will switch again.

I don't doubt that Opera will increase in popularity soon enough. When the hype around Firefox dies people who need to feel special/haxxor/randomterm will switch again.

haha, exactly. all the firefox people used to be able to say that they were different because they use ff. now everyone uses it, so those nonconformists have to find something different. they will jump onto the first bandwagon they see, which will be opera, until opera becomes submerged with people. by then someone will figure out how it all works and create a new browser that doesnt really do anything new, but not the majority of people use it so many will flock to it.

during all this people who know nothing about browsers are still using ie, and some people will still be using firefox and opera because they didnt really find the need to jump on every new browser out there. once you find something ok, just stick with it.

why i use ff over opera? when i started looking for new browsers after the netscape fad wore off and i didnt want to be left behind, i looked through a lot of browsers. i actually started with mozilla (regular, do they even have that anymore?) and opera and a few others. opera had ads, so i said screw that. the others i tried were freeware or shareware, and they mostly sucked. i just stuck with mozilla for a while, till i found out about firebird, and i like it better. wasnt even that big of a deal then, most people were just using mozilla. stuck with it when it changed to firefox and been using it since. tried opera a month or two ago, didnt have anything special about it, and i have everything configured the way i like it in ff. why change?

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

...then someone will figure out how it all works and create a new browser that doesnt really do anything new, but not the majority of people use it so many will flock to it.

Funny you should use that word ;)

http://www.flock.com/

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

...then someone will figure out how it all works and create a new browser that doesnt really do anything new, but not the majority of people use it so many will flock to it.

Hahaha, maybe it's subliminal ;)

Oh my...God have you seen the website :shock:

And then..I was all like...Bleaureuehrieehghgieh!!

My main reason for using Firefox (and the original Mozilla before it) in the first place was that IE wasn't secure and Opera came with built-in ads.

I have used Opera a little and I am with Pyro; the UI sucks. It just doesn't feel right. Having said that, I'm sure I would grow used to it.

There is the OpenSource argument too; how can someone put a patent or copyright on an idea?

You can't patent software anyways, so whatever :P
Yet... :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yet... :(

Hey, the EU already voted against it. And the USA isn't exactly looking to make it legal either, so it'll be a while ;)

I thought it's already legal in the USA? At least, computer companies obtain more patents than any others, I think... and then there's the fact that the EU commissioners don't know when to stop - they're still trying to push the laws through (again) :roll:

As for the person (Bubsa?) that said people will stick with hte first browser of these two, that's true :P

But you make it seem like people are bad for first using a better known browser? And to others: Why should browsing the frieking internet become a nonconformity contest? Seriously, just pick a browser and stick with it...

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

As for the person (Bubsa?) that said people will stick with hte first browser of these two, that's true :P

But you make it seem like people are bad for first using a better known browser? And to others: Why should browsing the frieking internet become a nonconformity contest? Seriously, just pick a browser and stick with it...

Heh, I was only kidding when I said that about nonconformity and Firefox funboys. It was just a mock on the current PS3 Xbox360 funboys around atm. Don't take it seriously man :P

Biox said it better than me really. He sees nothing to warrant the bother of changing browser from FF to Opera and for me it's the same vice versa.

Lol, I remember I installed it a few weeks ago. 100% useless.

mysig31ha.png

Dude, it's in beta, you're not supposed to be impressed with it yet.

The site already made its impression on me :(

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

The site already made its impression on me :(

Yeah, some basic knowledge of HTML and copying the code of Firefox and adding a bit.

mysig31ha.png