What's up with the industry's attraction to Ricky Gervais?

Faux

This guy isn't funny.

Clearly, other people disagree with that.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I like him more in small parts (see Stardust). I was not too much of a fan of Extras, there were funny parts but it is still one of the few series I started and never finished. Another one was the UK version of The Office. That was just correlation not causation.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I suppose in his time of producing funny stuff he wants to join the action...but isn't good at it?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The industry is attracted to him because of his genius. He co-wrote and came up with the idea for The Office, he also produces the American version of the series and has won two Golden Globes, including one for his acting.

So, really, it's just your perception that he's not funny as a lot of people think he is.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Gervais is dry, tongue in cheek, subtle humour. I think he is very funny, and clever. Look at some of his standup.

I guess you're the type of person who is "spoonfed" funny. Unless it's a gorilla dancing to Beyonce's Single Ladies, I dont think you'd laugh.

Gervais is dry, tongue in cheek, subtle humour. I think he is very funny, and clever. Look at some of his standup.

I guess you're the type of person who is "spoonfed" funny. Unless it's a gorilla dancing to Beyonce's Single Ladies, I dont think you'd laugh.

Yes, you're a better person than me because I don't have the same sense of humor

Get off your high horse

The industry is attracted to him because of his genius. He co-wrote and came up with the idea for The Office, he also produces the American version of the series and has won two Golden Globes, including one for his acting.

So, really, it's just your perception that he's not funny as a lot of people think he is.

I already said he can produce good stuff, he just can't present it himself. He can't act but he keeps on trying. What's the film he was in? Origin of lying or something, those trailers _KILLED_ me. That passes for comedy?

Merged - Jimmy_jim

Yes, you're a better person than me because I don't have the same sense of humor

Get off your high horse

Grooving ? Jiving ? Discoing ? Rockin' ?

I never intended to come across that way. I never even hinted that I'm a "better" person than you.

I really liked The Office, both the Uk and American versions but i much prefered his standup to his acting. He's a genuinely funny guy.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I think Gervais is funny in real life without having to try too hard or be too obvious. I also think he's a pretty good actor, but probably nothing special. But he's a good choice to host the Golden Globes. He has a fantastic awareness of celebrity and is big enough that he doesn't have to pander to anyone except himself.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"