Tip.it Times 3 January 2010

Mirror

Regarding the First Article

I think a big issue with the RP occurring inside the game itself is time constraints for players.

The reason text-based Role playing is so successful is, it is very easy to post a few dialogues of text using up very little time and nobody is waiting for you. Its a turn based role play, so if you need to wait 5 minutes, or 5 hours to post your next action it hardly makes a difference.

In-game role playing can be much more of a challenge when it comes to time and "live" role-playing. Imagine that you and 5 buddies have just fishing smithing at the white knight armory and have heard a distress call from South Burthrope. As you begin your march and reach North Falador, 1 of your Soldiers gets called down to dinner. He has to go. One soldier less, your battalion marches on. A few minutes into the battle, another player has to go to bed. Another needs to be AFK for a few minutes. The armies of Real Life cripple your forces more than the warriors attacking Burthrope did.

This is the problem role-playing inside the game faces. Roleplaying has always been about using your imagination, so if people say lack of content is an issue, I would say they are simply not using their imagination enough. Jagex could add some "official" in-game role-playing themes to get things going, however time constraints still pose an issue. There is no theme and/or time that is convenient for everyone.

That being said, I would like to say there are also different types of role-playing.

I know for a fact, many people do role-play at the Rimmington House Portal on House Party Worlds. There you will often find "Fast Food Joints", "Hotels", "Fashion Parties", And more. But these role-playing houses are often quickly snuffed by lack of interest and people creating them simply to "show off their cool house". As for the more hardcore Roleplayers, you will find them on forums instead since the forums allow for much more freedom of choice. You certainly cannot be a purple-hooded orc of DOOM ingame, as you can be on the forums.

Another problem is people don't know where to start.

One way I would like Jagex to boost role-playing is by introducing randomly generated scenarios, only available on role-playing worlds. Players could pick a scenario, from set factions (like the white knights), and carry out their task to complete the scenario. The scenarios would not be limited as to be the same every time. Perhaps the scenario would simply be "go retrieve the stone of power and deliver it to bob". Its up to you to do decide what exactly the stone of power should be and how to go about getting it. Anyone could join the scenario with you, or you could do it yourself.

A minigame like that would not tell you what to do, or how to role-play, just simply give you an idea of where to start. Perhaps your journey of finding the stone of power would bring you on paths with another group protecting the streets of varrock from evil skeletons invading from the north. A group you chose to ally with and all work together on you next scenario of saving Yanille from a evil wizard. There would be, of course, no reward for scenarios other than the rewards you give yourself.

dawnsigblue-3.png

[spoiler=Very long argument about role-playing]

In my opinion, Runescape doesn't lend itself to role-playing. I don't even call it a role playing game. If you do the quests, at least, you can't really play your character as anything but a generic "walk to the right and kill the bad guys" kind of game.

For one thing, you can not access the abyss unless you help out a Zamorak mage. No problem, unless you didn't want to play a character who agrees with Zammy's beliefs, teachings and/or alignment (For those who know what Alignment is in this context). When I started that quest, my character was wearing Saradomin armour and carrying a Sara holy book. If I wanted to unlock a very important pert of the game, I had to swallow my character's beliefs and morals and help his sworn enemy. No character of mine in any role playing game would have just cheerfully tossed his morals to the wind and trotted off to obediently work for his enemy.

As far as a lack of races and classes, it really shouldn't destroy the roleplaying atmosphere in a game. There are the various skills you can specialize in, and these can define your character as easily as "Warrior" "Thief" or "Mage" can. For example, despite my character's level of 71 in magic, I consider him inept as a spellcaster. He uses teleports and that's about all. I've never played the mage minigames, and have no real intention to do so. The only time I train magic is when I discover I need a level for a quest, want to get to a new teleport spell or something like that. I only went into the mage arena place in Al Kharid to unlock the song tracks. (I got my Air Guitar emote that day) There is the thieving skill, there's a thief character for you, range makes a ranger, right? My character is a fisherman who bolts on the heavy armour to slog into combat when he must. I see him as sort of like myself, served in the military but didn't make a life of it, then went back to his old life. Sure, I'd rather play a dwarf. (5% of my ADVANCED Dungeons and Dragons {I am from the school that burned down before the old school was built. I played since 1st ed and when I got the name "Gamer" the word did not apply to video or computer games at all.} characters were not dwarves. Everyone always expected me to be a dwarf fighter/cleric. I nearly always was!) Who wouldn't rather play a completely different type of person once in a while? I always liked getting into the role of a person who was utterly not human. I used to love coming up with little pointless differences that made my characters different from humans. I had one race that would get totally drunk, fast and easily, from drinking sea water. That's not something people can do!! I can not do any of that on Runescape.

I think the single biggest thing that precludes roleplaying on Runescape is the fact that it's never been important. it will be pretty much impossible to really get roleplaying going now when pretty much all the players discuss xp, levels and skills by the skill name (What's your level in WC?" "75"" instead of "How goes the quest for lumber?" "Well, I am ready to begin cutting the enchanted trees, I believe I understand the tree well enough to keep from ruining the wood.") To really roleplay, you have to be able to talk like your character. "You fool, no novice warrior can hope to understand how to use adamant armour as well as he can use steel! The metals have different limits and strengths!!" instead of "You're not high enough def lvl to use that armour yet." People would have to learn to type in one manner to express their character's thoughts and a different way to express their own. I type in parentheses to show when I am out of character.

To get roleplaying really going, to really allow us to get into character, I think we'd need some entirely new worlds with little disclaimers that the world is for roleplaying and therefore conversations would not be the standard fare. We would need people to teach new players how to not talk like a modern person sitting at a computer. We'd probably be best off with worlds that were not even accessed through the same log-in area. I mean, aren't roleplayers almost always a breed apart anyway? Given the choice, I'd be happy to go to a different log-in page to get into Runescape to be able to play my character the way I want to play him. Unfortunately, as long as the game is being geared to younger and younger players, I doubt that anything as complex as roleplaying will come about.

[hide]

Indeed :blink:

2 things that your post brought up

1. I think that the fact that every character can train every skill inhibits the role-playing aspect, at least as you see it. There is no "thief", "mage", or "fisher" characters because those are all parts of every characters skill sets (Not considering pures since those are only for pvping). Personally I act differently that myself when I play, but I don't necessarily buy into the whole medieval England, Tolkien-esqe language that seems to drown out all fantasy RPGs.

2. The problem that arises with the whole alignment issue is the fact that there is limited content, and to unlock all possible training methods/skills/spellbooks/prayers/etc. you need to align yourself to many different factions (Though it seems overall you lean towards Guthixian or Zarosian). With D&D that isn't a problem because you can create your own adventures and plot, and in other MMO's with classes and different alignments, like World of Warcraft with its Alliance and Horde, whole continents are created with just that alignment in mind.

Nice post though, it was a fun read :thumbup: .

[/hide]

Okay so you both have alot of valid points, but there are things you understand wrong. first: yes there are types of characters, and its even better as you can change your type whenever you want (For example : I'm a battlemage now, but I was a thief some time ago(like a year or so)). The abyss argument is invalid because the abyss is a place FOR zamorakians, made accecible BY zamorakians, if you don't have the cunningness or will (or just simply cant bypass your principles) then don't do it, I myself, was interested in discovering another entry point to the lost city of Zanaris, as I was a well known thief and couldn't just barge in into the enchanted city. Nowadays I am unsure of what god I worship, I'm stranded between mighty Zaros and Seren, so I don't use the abyss anymore.

And anyways, who said that you can't create your own adventures and alignment? Well, it's pretty bad then, if you can't because I haven't been having any troubles.

Just roleplaying in the server made me meet some great people, who helped in my quest for helping an Asgarnian family, ive also met some great politicians, with whom i discussed the policy of King Roald and the Misthalinian allies.

You just got to keep Roleplaying, you see, theres alot of bashing, being called anoob and such, but by enduring it and continuing my quest i met some nice people along the road.

And you have a very nice point about the "XP talk" coffeesloth, But i advise you to not give up against the Mentally diseased (they obviously share the same mental disease with the bartender of Blue moon Inn, cause they all think life is "a game in some (magical??) box" )

Oh, and I propose to create a Tip.it Roleplaying league, or something like that.

That takes a lot of perseverance and courage to keep on roleplaying when almost no one else does, good job =D> . The point that I was trying to make was that JaGeX has made a game which if you want to play to the fullest extent breaks the sense of a real aligned character. For example, the reasons you stated for using/not using the abyss are atypical but still valid but in a traditional RPG like D&D you aren't constrained in what you can and cannot do because of your alignment because you create your own content, the sky's the limit; runescape is limited in that the content it has to offer constrains people of certain alignments.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Being relatively inexperienced in the world of Roleplaying games, I have a few questions I would legitimately like answered by those who know more about it.

To what extent does any roleplaying game actually immerse the player into a new world?

For me I quite enjoy being able to stroll around wearing medieval-styled armours and practicing a wide range of skills that are mainly absent from modern life. But I've yet to actually play any RPG that NATURALLY changed me or made me think and behave differently to how I normally would. Does any game do this? Or is it usually a question of the player's choice rather than the game's compulsion?

As far as I'm concerned, it is enough simply to enjoy the slightly Tolkien-esque surroundings of Runescape and its diverse activities. Whilst I too find things like the enforced Zamorakian alignments for the some of the most commonly used methods for Runecrafting (Abyss and ZMI) irritating, I would be much more frustrated if through some earlier decision to align with Saradomin/Guthix/Bandos/Armadyl etc I was then unable to access these two areas. I would also find it very irritating to be a warrior in constant fear of warlocks, or a ranger always looking out for a warrior simply because my class distinction rendered me largely incapable of defending against such attacks. To my mind it would make the game somewhat more unbalanced, whilst I would still suggest that perhaps most people would not act differently as people simply because of such class distinctions. Yes it would change the game and their characters, but would the people behind the pixels behave any differently? I suspect not.

Disclaimer: If you're a hardcore RPGer I'd much rather hear your thoughts on the questions posed at the beginning of this post than abuse for my final paragraph. Despite Dormado's eloquent case to the contrary, my lack of expertise/interest in Roleplaying is not because I'm mentally diseased, so I'd appreciate any further assertions of that sort to be left out when responding.

Being relatively inexperienced in the world of Roleplaying games, I have a few questions I would legitimately like answered by those who know more about it.

To what extent does any roleplaying game actually immerse the player into a new world?

For me I quite enjoy being able to stroll around wearing medieval-styled armours and practicing a wide range of skills that are mainly absent from modern life. But I've yet to actually play any RPG that NATURALLY changed me or made me think and behave differently to how I normally would. Does any game do this? Or is it usually a question of the player's choice rather than the game's compulsion?

As far as I'm concerned, it is enough simply to enjoy the slightly Tolkien-esque surroundings of Runescape and its diverse activities. Whilst I too find things like the enforced Zamorakian alignments for the some of the most commonly used methods for Runecrafting (Abyss and ZMI) irritating, I would be much more frustrated if through some earlier decision to align with Saradomin/Guthix/Bandos/Armadyl etc I was then unable to access these two areas. I would also find it very irritating to be a warrior in constant fear of warlocks, or a ranger always looking out for a warrior simply because my class distinction rendered me largely incapable of defending against such attacks. To my mind it would make the game somewhat more unbalanced, whilst I would still suggest that perhaps most people would not act differently as people simply because of such class distinctions. Yes it would change the game and their characters, but would the people behind the pixels behave any differently? I suspect not.

Disclaimer: If you're a hardcore RPGer I'd much rather hear your thoughts on the questions posed at the beginning of this post than abuse for my final paragraph. Despite Dormado's eloquent case to the contrary, my lack of expertise/interest in Roleplaying is not because I'm mentally diseased, so I'd appreciate any further assertions of that sort to be left out when responding.

Yes, It's actually always the player's choise to choose the way he plays the game, but some games are more roleplaying friendly some are less.

Hm, to what extent do they immerse the player into the new world? that too depends on how much does the player allows himself to be immersed,

and people would act diffirently only if they wanted to act diffirently, you cant enforce people to roleplay by adding a class system, I, myself am quite happy with the new system, it has all the classes one may need.

And forgive me for my last post if it has hurt you or anyone else in any way, forgive the blathering mage, for I know nothing of love.

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

No game can immerse you in an alternate world or alternate reality any more than you can imagine it, nor any more than you will allow it, nor any further than you are willing to allow it. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (Not the newest version owned by Hasbro, the TSR games) and about 20 other role playing games for longer than a lot of Runescape players have been alive. I started playing in about 1979, give or take. I've had Dungeon Masters who were excellent, I've had DMs who were bloody awful, and I've run games for players from skilled to amazing to utterly rank. A roleplaying game an not take you any further into another world than you allow it, first of all, not matter how skilled the game master (or program) but the other huge stumbling block is the other players.

If you have a group of six people sitting at the table, paper and dice everywhere, and five of them are very into the roles they are playing, the last player can ruin the whole thing. Imagine to your right is a person playing an elven wizard who is speaking with a fake accent, acting like their character (Inasmuch as you can act in a chair) and really getting into the game. On your left is a guy in a New York Yankees hat, blabbering about his baseball team, chugging strawberry soda and cramming his face with pork rinds. The Yankees fan is going to spoil the whole mood. You can't suspend your disbelief and let yourself really feel like you're talking to an elf when you're flanked by a belching oaf whose role playing skills peak at knowing which one is the six-sided die.

That's my personal problem with roleplaying in Runescape. I have never met anyone who wanted to actually try to role play their character in any way. Characters talk about game mechanics, real life and other things they should never know. For me it's pretty much impossible to stay in character when there is no-one to be in character with; when nobody else in in character at all. If there was a roleplaying clan, a well known and exclusive roleplaying world or even area within another world, someplace where characters can actually talk to one another in character without having some goon laughing and doing everything he can to bring everyone back to reality. Well, as back to reality as you can get when in a game, I mean.

I think a problem with roileplaying in the Runescape is the games that have been out for consoles and computers for years now that called themselves "role playing games." They were fantasy games, but you didn't play a character. You just controlled one. The kids (I am almost 40 years old, I can call a lot of, maybe most, Runescape players "kids.") who never played any rpg that made them sit at a table with nothing but books, paper and dice never had a way to learn how to play a character. They assumed that Final Fantasy 7 was really a role playing game. They were handed their character, they made him move around, they did the job, they finished the game. They never learned to talk in character because they never had the chance to do so. They think they are playing their character when they set him to chopping a tree and discuss what happened at school that day with their buddies. If you never learned that your character is not you, if you never learned that your character does not know what you know, you can't really play a role as such. You can just control a character.

If anyone wants to actually try to get into character with me in Runescape, look for Xinix Xaxx. That's my character's name, at least the character I am most likely to be playing. Just make sure you type "out of character" text in parentheses (like this, you know) so I know when you're talking to Xinix and when you're talking to me, ok? B-)

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

No game can immerse you in an alternate world or alternate reality any more than you can imagine it, nor any more than you will allow it, nor any further than you are willing to allow it. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (Not the newest version owned by Hasbro, the TSR games) and about 20 other role playing games for longer than a lot of Runescape players have been alive. I started playing in about 1979, give or take. I've had Dungeon Masters who were excellent, I've had DMs who were bloody awful, and I've run games for players from skilled to amazing to utterly rank. A roleplaying game an not take you any further into another world than you allow it, first of all, not matter how skilled the game master (or program) but the other huge stumbling block is the other players.

If you have a group of six people sitting at the table, paper and dice everywhere, and five of them are very into the roles they are playing, the last player can ruin the whole thing. Imagine to your right is a person playing an elven wizard who is speaking with a fake accent, acting like their character (Inasmuch as you can act in a chair) and really getting into the game. On your left is a guy in a New York Yankees hat, blabbering about his baseball team, chugging strawberry soda and cramming his face with pork rinds. The Yankees fan is going to spoil the whole mood. You can't suspend your disbelief and let yourself really feel like you're talking to an elf when you're flanked by a belching oaf whose role playing skills peak at knowing which one is the six-sided die.

That's my personal problem with roleplaying in Runescape. I have never met anyone who wanted to actually try to role play their character in any way. Characters talk about game mechanics, real life and other things they should never know. For me it's pretty much impossible to stay in character when there is no-one to be in character with; when nobody else in in character at all. If there was a roleplaying clan, a well known and exclusive roleplaying world or even area within another world, someplace where characters can actually talk to one another in character without having some goon laughing and doing everything he can to bring everyone back to reality. Well, as back to reality as you can get when in a game, I mean.

I think a problem with roileplaying in the Runescape is the games that have been out for consoles and computers for years now that called themselves "role playing games." They were fantasy games, but you didn't play a character. You just controlled one. The kids (I am almost 40 years old, I can call a lot of, maybe most, Runescape players "kids.") who never played any rpg that made them sit at a table with nothing but books, paper and dice never had a way to learn how to play a character. They assumed that Final Fantasy 7 was really a role playing game. They were handed their character, they made him move around, they did the job, they finished the game. They never learned to talk in character because they never had the chance to do so. They think they are playing their character when they set him to chopping a tree and discuss what happened at school that day with their buddies. If you never learned that your character is not you, if you never learned that your character does not know what you know, you can't really play a role as such. You can just control a character.

If anyone wants to actually try to get into character with me in Runescape, look for Xinix Xaxx. That's my character's name, at least the character I am most likely to be playing. Just make sure you type "out of character" text in parentheses (like this, you know) so I know when you're talking to Xinix and when you're talking to me, ok? B-)

The problem is "role playing" is very loosely defined. In most video games, you are playing the "role" of a fantasy character and thus it is a role playing game. Nothing like dungeons and dragons though. I wouldn't mind trying that someone if I found a bunch of other nerds :P

Whilst I too find things like the enforced Zamorakian alignments for the some of the most commonly used methods for Runecrafting (Abyss and ZMI) irritating, I would be much more frustrated if through some earlier decision to align with Saradomin/Guthix/Bandos/Armadyl etc I was then unable to access these two areas.

If you were "aligned" with Zamorak to use the ZMI, why do all the damned Zamorak worshipers attack you? Huh?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

If you were "aligned" with Zamorak to use the ZMI, why do all the damned Zamorak worshipers attack you? Huh?

God of Chaos, remember.

Do what you want because Chaos is free. Yar har fiddle dee dee. You are a heretic.

I liked the role-playing article somewhat, but the second one wasn't very interesting. Maybe its just not my subject.

I really liked the fictional and I wish there were more like it. I have often thought that time in game passes ridiculously fast, and that perhaps every 5 minutes of traveling would take almost a day in real life, if not more. This really gave that real time feeling. Takes me back to when I had to run all the way from draynor to Oog'log. :wall:

I just looked over my last post. I do get a tad long winded, don't I? Sorry about that.

Hehe perhaps, but it did a good job of demonstrating to me what proper roleplaying is about.

So thanks to you coffeesloth and also dormado for helping me out with that. :-) Much appreciated.

P.S. Dormado you didn't offend me, I just happen to be something of a pedant so thought I'd take issue with the whole "mentally diseased" bit just because I could! :-P

tbh I dont want class systems in runescape. I kinda like my player able to use all three forms of the combat triangle to the fullest extent.

a good start is to have choices in quest that lead to different paths.

I liked the article, but I thought that younger kids would be more imaginative than older people. well for me that is...

The second article was a bit short, lol. It was intresting to find out that during stressful times, people will get addicted more.

For the story, I loled on that one. I have to congratulate Zonorhc for the brillant descriptions that were written. It reminds me of a book im reading now.. :razz:

My problem with RP is that I RP a practical person. I say a sentence here and there. All these people running up to me with complicated - and dare I say.. contrived - scenarios usually fail as I sign their petition, then they ask me my name. I tell them I signed their petition. They ask me my name. I ask them if they are illiterate. They say obviously not because they are typing,duh.

This is how it is for me. I am a lax, lazy person... with a mismatched suit of battle scared armour and an otherworldly whip of much PAIN, just walking around doing their thing, currently collection junk to sell to buy bones to feed their addiction to ecto-power. I am rough somewhere around the center, and soft on the edges. I'm not the type of person who runs off with a party across the country and half the next, no, I am one who chugs a warm ale, teleports right to the spot, smashes things, gets the munchies, and heads out for kebabs (really off to dinner. Maybe makin kebabs that night even).

Or, maybe I'm not playing a high level adventurer mercenary, all round problem solver with a mythical crowbar of import. Maybe I'm 4th level Kalafai, bragging yo [wagon] out over hiding behind a bush and chucking runes at a highway man til he slips and falls while trying to scale a fence to strangle me and the roads are thus safer for his getting impaled on a branch.

The important thing is, if we meet in the wild, it's you, it's me, and I'm trying to decide if I should stay and stand shoulder to shoulder against the revenent with a stranger, or if I have a good chance of outrunning him so the blasted thing has an easier choice who to kill... I'm playing my roll. I need not give long speeches or actively tell you that I am. "Close the damned door!" is perfectly in character when I'm worried about spiders pouring in from the hallway and weakening us enough the giants can finish us off.

I'm sorry but I honestly stopped reading after "The concept of roleplaying games was popularized by the Dungeons and Dragons game." That's definitely an oxymoron: Popular D&D.

HAHAHAHA :rolleyes:

It was popular. Back in the 80's, it was a popular game. Unfortunately, attitudes shifted toward instant gratification and collectible card games slowly pushed AD&D off to the side. Since that point, the game seems, at least to me, to have lost popularity steadily. I could be wrong, the new Hasbro game they named Dungeons and Dragons (It's not the same game I learned in 1979. Not at all.) might be more popular than I think. It would have to be, if it's still in publication.

The post you have just read, and probably snorted at, is based solely on my own experience, observations and chats with the guy who owned the gaming store on the floor beneath my apartment. Things may have happened radically differently in your area.

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

Role playing in Runescape is really a joke.

Im not a role player i would never act like my character but its kinda to the point wehre i dont FEEL like im my character. like i agree with the article our first impression is hardly ideal.

We start off breaking the 4th wall (basically telling us were in a game this isnt a real world). We then arrive in a world with no consequences. You can steal from fellow NPCs and kill them at will with no recourse. This is terrible thing to do to a role player. In other games if you want to kill someone in a town ALL the guards will pile you, and the guards are strong enough to make you think twice about doing it. Also the dungeons aiming for account security and new player help fundimentally destroy role playing. How do you emerse yourself in a world only to go somewhere and it tells you to log off and set recovery questions. A role player would be thinking - i am a brave warrior traveling through the barbarian village into a dungeon for treasures and other rewards and then instead of some dark epic plot you get LOLRECOVERIES R GUUD. URR GUNNA GET HACKED DO IT.

Another major problem for role playing for me is the quests. F2p is actually BETTER then members for a role player. I see my role in the world as a new weak adventurer who goes from helping a cook make a cake, to slowly more dangerous and difficult quests. These quests end with me slaying a dragon and being able to wear a legendary Rune Plate. Members on the other hand its hard to get into stories because theres so many quest lines going on. You go from the plauge city series to a completely different plot in the Myreque series. This is a good thing but the lack of a CENTRAL plot in Runescape makes quests more for their rewards then their lore.

I also have a problem with changed lore. The main example that comes to mind is the dragon weapons came from Frankansea (sp?) and then it was changed to something entirely different. WTF

I also have the problem for role playing is just the random inconsistencies. For example why the hell is there a battlefeild in the middle of Kandorian? I understand the khazards are trying to kill the gnomes but it doesnt make sense for some random gnome village to be in the middle of human territory. Another major issue i have with it is Why is the army attacking from the north, when Khazard and port khazard are to the south east of Tree gnome village? Theres lots of little bits of inconsistant stuff like this that bug me to no end.

Role playing seems to be without saving in Runescape. But there are a few thing that do help. Perma-deaths of NPCs. Im a BIG fan of Jagex decision in WGS and Blood Runs Deep. Runescape NEEDED this to create a dramatic level that hasnt been seen before. Another improvement over the years is the music and the adition of ambient sounds. It helps you FEEL like your part of that area.

My suggestion to improve role playing would be, create consequences for killing your allies. I find it ridiculous that you can slaughter 5k white knights and still be loved by them. Or kill everything in the town of lumbridge. You notice no one kills anyone in Miscellania? because this has a negative consequence to it. This should exist throughout Runescape for roleplaying to exist. Another suggestion would be to improve the drama of quest series and - GASP - finish a series? I like that some of the newer quests create a feeling of immanent danger and i would love of this feeling continued. Another suggestion is tweak the ambient sounds to be even more realistic - a little work on that can go a LONG way. Also some of the newer quests have waaay better music quality then before. Zaros stirs sounds AMAZING imo.

Theres a lot more to be said but this is just my general opinion

Discrepancy? It said the dragon weapons originally CAME from Frenaskae (there is no correct spelling to this word) and were MADE by the dragonkin. Therefore, all that is required for those both to work is that the dragonkin originally came from Frenaskae.

In fact, perhaps there are still dragonkin there now supplying faries and monkies with dragon items.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

directed to roleplaying article:

i'd really love to do some roleplaying in-game while im in the mood to. its quite interesting conversations you have.

Its a lot more enjoyable then

" i cut a tree"

' I PWN NUBZ WIF MY 99 STR LOL !!!!ONEONEONE11111!!!"

i try to talk in character time to time, but people usually ask me what the hell im on.

:P and for the boards to know

Praise be to Saradomin!

still.png

still.png

directed to roleplaying article:

i'd really love to do some roleplaying in-game while im in the mood to. its quite interesting conversations you have.

Its a lot more enjoyable then

" i cut a tree"

' I PWN NUBZ WIF MY 99 STR LOL !!!!ONEONEONE11111!!!"

i try to talk in character time to time, but people usually ask me what the hell im on.

:P and for the boards to know

Praise be to Saradomin!

Ash to Zaros' feet!