Muscle Building F.A.Q's

LegendaryStu

Well first of all I will start by saying hi, some of you may recognise me from the forums while many of you probably won't.

I am making this thread due to the general lack of knowledge that many people seem to have when it comes to 'working out' and i feel that if there were many related questions on the same topic it would help change this.

What i would like to do with this topic is for it to be free flowing, if you have a question regarding which is the best exercise to work X muscle or what is the most effective way to get that extra pushup then ask away. I myself will do my best to answer as many questions if i can, and i hope (and welcome) others will contribute to answering. As (If) the topic grows I will gradually edit this topic, putting in the more common questions and answers, so hopefully we can create a database which we can all look at/use/help others with.

I'm not going to lie, I have no form of fitness instructor qualifications, I am just an ordinary guy. I am 19 years old and currently a student at university. However I used to be play rugby for my school/town and then my county, eventually leading onto country trials (Ireland). I also took part in a '2012 and beyond' White Water Kayaking Slalom selection course. This involved a lot of gym work and i have for most parts stuck with the things i have learnt. I won't pretend to know the answer to every question, if i don't then I will be honest and try to find out the answer you seek.

If a moderator deems this topic useless and/or unneeded then I apologise and by all means remove it.

a14z78.jpg

Overseer of Tip.it Clan Tournament 2010

Click

here to read the rules || Click here to sign up

`Stu` on #clans (irc.swiftirc.net)

Good idea, hopefully this will remove the need for all the duplicate threads here. Out of interest what are you studying at uni?

Marine Technology (Yacht and Powercraft / Olympic sailing craft etc design and construction, materials etc)

a14z78.jpg

Overseer of Tip.it Clan Tournament 2010

Click

here to read the rules || Click here to sign up

`Stu` on #clans (irc.swiftirc.net)

• 2 weeks later...

Got I got a question, what in your opinion is the best way to build my up my back muscles and my shoulders and would it be better to workout everyday or workout every other day and let my body a day of rest like I've been doing?

tFtfA.jpg

Got I got a question, what in your opinion is the best way to build my up my back muscles and my shoulders and would it be better to workout everyday or workout every other day and let my body a day of rest like I've been doing?

It's never good to do it everyday. Do it every other day, and make sure you're eating enough

Also, new routines posted.(Hardgainer, power builder, west side)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250231

As for back muscle/shoulder, use this and click on the muscle group

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

But it's really best to follow a routine.

yes.png

Deadlifts are the king of back exercises. Pullups are good too though. Shoulders...personally I superset military press with lateral raises, but I find shoulders a little tricky to work. See what suits you. And definitely give yourself a rest day if you're lifting heavy. Once you're deadlifting heavy enough you probably won't want to be doing them more than once or twice a week, so substitute bent over barbell rows in, or power cleans.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I'm going to try the military press the next time I go to the gym. I went last night but it was over crowded so I mainly did cardio and like 15 minutes on chest. What about abdominals exercises? Is there a better method then crunches because absolute hate doing crunches don't want to do them to be honest. I'm already a pretty slender guy 5'11" around 135-140 pounds so building my abdominal muscles would only be a plus.

tFtfA.jpg

I'm going to try the military press the next time I go to the gym. I went last night but it was over crowded so I mainly did cardio and like 15 minutes on chest. What about abdominals exercises? Is there a better method then crunches because absolute hate doing crunches don't want to do them to be honest. I'm already a pretty slender guy 5'11" around 135-140 pounds so building my abdominal muscles would only be a plus.

Yesyesyesyesyes. Do these: http://stronglifts.com/the-reverse-crunch-get-your-six-pack-abs/

MUCH better than crunches. Knees to elbows are also killer: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_Knees2Elbows.wmv Medicine ball twists are also pretty good too. You can have a great ab workout just doing reverse crunches (first link) but if you want variety do the other stuff too. But don't do crunches.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just going to go a head and ask a few questions about form, and maybe about what I could do at home with what I have.

First of all, for bench press and tricep bench press, where along my body should the bar be lined up when lifting? I'm kind of just assuming it's my nipples for both, but I'm just not sure.

Now, the second part.

I have:

Bench

15lb. bar

4 x 15lb. weights

4 x 10lb. weights

2 x 8lb. weights

2 x 5lb. weights

2 x 2.5lb. weights

Basically, I'm just wondering what muscle groups I can work. My school does allow access to our "full" weight room 2-3 days a week at lunch, however that is only an hour, and I think I may need more than that. I pretty much plan on following Starting Strength. I think that I'll just be leaving dead lifts/bench press until last, so that if I don't have time for them, I can still do them at home.

So maybe I've already got things figured out, but it wouldn't hurt to know what else I can do with what I've got.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Saw this topic and I feel I may as well share my knowledge:

Nutrition:

Firstly, nutrition is THE most important part of bodybuilding. If you aren't taking in enough of the nutrients your body needs to repair, you will very quickly over train and be unable to work out, potentially seriously damaging yourself.

If possible you should try to have 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, so for me this is around 160grams of protein per day. This should be spread out between 6 evenly balanced meals. Quite hard to do if you do not have the time or experience with preparing food and nutritional values already.

You also need to have carbohydrates and fat in your diet, however you should try to limit the amount of fat taken in through food.

Cardio:

Cardio is very important for your bodybuilding goals. If you want a more toned body, and the holy grail of the 8 pack, then you NEED to do cardio in order to lose the fat. Usually the level of fat required in order to see a 6 pack is around 6%. I have a 4 pack at 8.3% bf and 160lbs.

60 minutes per day is recommended if you are trying to lose fat. Also cardio does not necessarily mean HIIT (high intensity interval training), cycling, swimming, running etc. Walking at a faster than normal pace (enough to raise your heartbeat a fair amount) is good enough, especially if it is all you can manage.

However, a healthy fat loss is 1lb per week, otherwise your skin will end up sagging, i'm sure most of you have heard about the people who lose weight and have lots of excess skin.

Training:

Resistance training is obviously another key part of your bodybuilding goals.

First of all, I would recommend not using machines to train. Why? Because they DO NOT train stabiliser muscles. These may not sound important, but you will realise the problem when you look big, and someone challenges you to do use the dumbells for the same exercise, and you end up doing a quarter or less of the weight. The machines force you into a range of motion that is not natural, and cannot be achieved without the weight being stabilised.

Dumbells require most stabilisation, as in order to do the exercise you need to be synchronized with both arms, or because the weight is supported at a single point only. A barbell requires less stabilisation and gives better results to the target muscle, but as a result gives less development to the stabiliser muscles.

Despite what many people may say, body weight exercises are vital in a weight training program. There is no exercise for the lats that can compare to pull ups. These are one of the hardest bodyweight exercises to do. A large amount of people cannot even manage one. I can manage 7/8 with perfect form, how many can you manage? If you can do 15 pull ups with perfect form you deserve a medal.

Form is vital. If your form is off, not only will you not gain the best results possible, you may injure yourself. Perfect form depends on the exercise, but a general breakdown of perfect form is:

Moving only the body part intended i.e. only move biceps on bicep curls. no shoulder movement or body swinging to get the weight up.

2 seconds up and 2 seconds down = 1 rep

If you cannot manage perfect form, lower the weight. You may not believe it, but the results will be better if you do.

Also a pull up is not the same as a chin up. A pull up is palms facing away from the body, whereas a chin up is palms facing towards. Chin ups use less of the backmuscle than pull ups, however if you have been told that chin ups do not require back muscles, ask the person who told you, to curl their own bodyweight. Very unlikely.

Protein Shakes:

These are obviously one of the most common parts of a bodybuilders diet, as they provide large amounts of protein and can replace one of the six meals, if a few other pieces of food are added in, such as some fruit/veg. Obviously this depends on the nutrition provided by the protein shake.

Try to stay away from protein shakes that have less than 75 grams of protein per 100 grams of powder. This is because those tend to have more fats in them, which obviously lead to fat gain, which is probably not the main goal of your bodybuilding.

Creatine:

Another popular supplement. Creatine is widely used and gives quick weight gains. This is supposedly due to water retention, however it is proven that creatine does give extra energy, and therefore strength gains, which boosts progress.

Creatine monohydrate is the most common and cheapest form. It is also the most tested, and therefore most proven to be safe. If you buy it, make sure to buy creapure, which is produced in a german factory, as the other sources of creatine are in china, and are lower quality. Creapure is guaranteed 99.9% pure creatine monohydrate.

Some exercises for bodyparts (you will need to research the ones you do not know):

Calves:

Calf lifts

Reverse calf lifts

Quadriceps:

Leg press

Squat

Lunges

Hamstring:

Hamstring deadlifts (straight leg deadlifts)

Good mornings

Hamstring Raise

Glutes:

Long stride lunges (further forward you go the more the gluteals are used compared to quadriceps)

Abs:

Sit Ups

Crunches

Oblique abs:

Side Crunches

Side Planks

Bicycle Crunches

Spinal Erector Muscle:

Lying Supermans

Latissimus dorsi:

Dumbell Rows

Barbell Rows

Pull ups

Wide grip Pull Ups

Alternating grip pull ups

Chin ups

Serratus Anterior:

Incline shoulder raise

Serratus push ups

Pectorals:

Push ups

Roller push ups

Wide Push ups

Hip push ups (these work triceps a large amount)

Dumbell Flys

Dumbell Press

Bench Press

Anterior Deltoids:

Shoulder Press

Front Raises

Medial Deltoids:

Side Raises

(upright rows are an option, but they are damaging to the body so i DO NOT recommend them)

Posterior Deltoids:

Bent over lateral raises

Shoulder Rows

Trapezius:

Dumbell Shrugs

Barbell Shrugs

Bicep:

Barbell Curl

Dumbell Curl

Triceps:

French Press

Dumbell Kickbacks

Tricep Dips

Note: When working the back muscles, you also work the biceps. Same applies to chest and triceps. As the back and chest are the large muscles, work those out first, and then work out the arms afterwards, otherwise you will be unable to get the intensity required for the larger lifts needed for the back and chest.

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

[hide]

It's never good to do it everyday. Do it every other day, and make sure you're eating enough

Also, new routines posted.(Hardgainer, power builder, west side)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250231

As for back muscle/shoulder, use this and click on the muscle group

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

But it's really best to follow a routine.

Saw this topic and I feel I may as well share my knowledge:

Nutrition:

Firstly, nutrition is THE most important part of bodybuilding. If you aren't taking in enough of the nutrients your body needs to repair, you will very quickly over train and be unable to work out, potentially seriously damaging yourself.

If possible you should try to have 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, so for me this is around 160grams of protein per day. This should be spread out between 6 evenly balanced meals. Quite hard to do if you do not have the time or experience with preparing food and nutritional values already.

You also need to have carbohydrates and fat in your diet, however you should try to limit the amount of fat taken in through food.

Cardio:

Cardio is very important for your bodybuilding goals. If you want a more toned body, and the holy grail of the 8 pack, then you NEED to do cardio in order to lose the fat. Usually the level of fat required in order to see a 6 pack is around 6%. I have a 4 pack at 8.3% bf and 160lbs.

60 minutes per day is recommended if you are trying to lose fat. Also cardio does not necessarily mean HIIT (high intensity interval training), cycling, swimming, running etc. Walking at a faster than normal pace (enough to raise your heartbeat a fair amount) is good enough, especially if it is all you can manage.

However, a healthy fat loss is 1lb per week, otherwise your skin will end up sagging, i'm sure most of you have heard about the people who lose weight and have lots of excess skin.

Training:

Resistance training is obviously another key part of your bodybuilding goals.

First of all, I would recommend not using machines to train. Why? Because they DO NOT train stabiliser muscles. These may not sound important, but you will realise the problem when you look big, and someone challenges you to do use the dumbells for the same exercise, and you end up doing a quarter or less of the weight. The machines force you into a range of motion that is not natural, and cannot be achieved without the weight being stabilised.

Dumbells require most stabilisation, as in order to do the exercise you need to be synchronized with both arms, or because the weight is supported at a single point only. A barbell requires less stabilisation and gives better results to the target muscle, but as a result gives less development to the stabiliser muscles.

Despite what many people may say, body weight exercises are vital in a weight training program. There is no exercise for the lats that can compare to pull ups. These are one of the hardest bodyweight exercises to do. A large amount of people cannot even manage one. I can manage 7/8 with perfect form, how many can you manage? If you can do 15 pull ups with perfect form you deserve a medal.

Form is vital. If your form is off, not only will you not gain the best results possible, you may injure yourself. Perfect form depends on the exercise, but a general breakdown of perfect form is:

Moving only the body part intended i.e. only move biceps on bicep curls. no shoulder movement or body swinging to get the weight up.

2 seconds up and 2 seconds down = 1 rep

If you cannot manage perfect form, lower the weight. You may not believe it, but the results will be better if you do.

Also a pull up is not the same as a chin up. A pull up is palms facing away from the body, whereas a chin up is palms facing towards. Chin ups use less of the backmuscle than pull ups, however if you have been told that chin ups do not require back muscles, ask the person who told you, to curl their own bodyweight. Very unlikely.

Protein Shakes:

These are obviously one of the most common parts of a bodybuilders diet, as they provide large amounts of protein and can replace one of the six meals, if a few other pieces of food are added in, such as some fruit/veg. Obviously this depends on the nutrition provided by the protein shake.

Try to stay away from protein shakes that have less than 75 grams of protein per 100 grams of powder. This is because those tend to have more fats in them, which obviously lead to fat gain, which is probably not the main goal of your bodybuilding.

Creatine:

Another popular supplement. Creatine is widely used and gives quick weight gains. This is supposedly due to water retention, however it is proven that creatine does give extra energy, and therefore strength gains, which boosts progress.

Creatine monohydrate is the most common and cheapest form. It is also the most tested, and therefore most proven to be safe. If you buy it, make sure to buy creapure, which is produced in a german factory, as the other sources of creatine are in china, and are lower quality. Creapure is guaranteed 99.9% pure creatine monohydrate.

Some exercises for bodyparts (you will need to research the ones you do not know):

Calves:

Calf lifts

Reverse calf lifts

Quadriceps:

Leg press

Squat

Lunges

Hamstring:

Hamstring deadlifts (straight leg deadlifts)

Good mornings

Hamstring Raise

Glutes:

Long stride lunges (further forward you go the more the gluteals are used compared to quadriceps)

Abs:

Sit Ups

Crunches

Oblique abs:

Side Crunches

Side Planks

Bicycle Crunches

Spinal Erector Muscle:

Lying Supermans

Latissimus dorsi:

Dumbell Rows

Barbell Rows

Pull ups

Wide grip Pull Ups

Alternating grip pull ups

Chin ups

Serratus Anterior:

Incline shoulder raise

Serratus push ups

Pectorals:

Push ups

Roller push ups

Wide Push ups

Hip push ups (these work triceps a large amount)

Dumbell Flys

Dumbell Press

Bench Press

Anterior Deltoids:

Shoulder Press

Front Raises

Medial Deltoids:

Side Raises

(upright rows are an option, but they are damaging to the body so i DO NOT recommend them)

Posterior Deltoids:

Bent over lateral raises

Shoulder Rows

Trapezius:

Dumbell Shrugs

Barbell Shrugs

Bicep:

Barbell Curl

Dumbell Curl

Triceps:

French Press

Dumbell Kickbacks

Tricep Dips

Note: When working the back muscles, you also work the biceps. Same applies to chest and triceps. As the back and chest are the large muscles, work those out first, and then work out the arms afterwards, otherwise you will be unable to get the intensity required for the larger lifts needed for the back and chest.

[/hide]

I love that website that you gave Blood. I always hate looking for new exercises to do, only to have to read how to do them and hope I am doing it right. The little clip of a repitition is awesome. Also, it is categorised very nicely. Funnisam, I also liked how you categorised your workouts for the muscle groups. I was able to find a couple more that I haven't tried. This thread was actually of some help to me. Cheers! :thumbsup:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• 2 weeks later...

number one tip: choose activities you LIKE. that's the only way you will stick at it for years, retaining a healthy, flexible physique for old age as well.

Have to train balance, and stretch for maneuvrability in the long term. It's a MUST, although it make make you look less "bulky" and "Greeker" in your beauty.

number one tip: choose activities you LIKE. that's the only way you will stick at it for years, retaining a healthy, flexible physique for old age as well.

Have to train balance, and stretch for maneuvrability in the long term. It's a MUST, although it make make you look less "bulky" and "Greeker" in your beauty.

Do any on you guys know a site with stretches? because i can only think of really basic stretches like swinging ars and that kinda stuff.

also what do you advise to eat right after training i mostly eat chicken sandwich (bread with chicken nothing special)

And lastly

What do you guys think is the best cardio exercise (cycling, rowing,treadmill, crosstrainer)? or isnt there alot of difference?

~you don't always know where you stand till you know that you won't run away~

Anything that gets your heart rate in the right zone. That's all that matters, your heart rate. However, depending on why you are doing the cardio, you should choose a certain activity.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends of the intensity of your workout: it's its very intense even every other day might be too much.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.