Subtle References

fakeitormakeit2

There are also a few possible references to the band Dream Theater and a few of their songs, ex.

Dream Theatre (song)- British spelling of the band's name

Dogs of War (song) - DT's song, Prophets of War

The Root of all Evil (song) - DT's song, the Root of all Evil

Although the names of the RS songs would make sense even if they weren't allusions, due to their context.

Dogs of War is a Shakespeare reference from The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. "Cry havoc! and slip past the dogs of war!"

The Root of all Evil is a pun on the saying "The root of all evil is money"

Sorry, but it is ROUTE of all evil, not root.

Anyway, during blood runs deep, when Baba Yaga says, that she can transport you quickly to Relleka, she asks for your seal. After that she says: "What are you doing here fremmenik?!" in which your character gets a little confused, but after figuring out his quick way of transporting, you character say: "Oh, I see what you did there..."

Also, found this early in my Runescape career, but still remember it. If you keep talking to the Priest of Lumbridge church, you can actually eventually say: "You dont understand, this is a computer game." :smile:

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one about the 4 areas of the SoS is really cool. But..... Which one of them is War? (yes I have been geeking out about Darksiders the game, so has Draz..... It's amazing).

The first one is War, it ends when you find the gift of peace.

The second one is Famine, it ends when you find the grain of plenty.

the third one is Plague, it ends when you find the box of health.

the fourth one is Death, it ends when you find the cradle of life.

That is extremely interesting. I would have never seen that.

Too bad the third horsemen is actually Conquest.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

The third horseman is ones thts open for debate.

In most common things these days he is plague as people know what it means, but in alot of older stuff is Pestilence; which is essentially they same thing.

He also has a couple of other names all centred around illness.

Conquest is in fact another name for the first horseman War.

The 4th can also be called Mercy (based aroun d the fact dying is merciful after uve faced war famine and plague)

Famine has another too that I can't quite recall, but it better fits what he does as famine general means jsut food.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_all_evil

I bet to differ

Think about it, The route of all evil sounds like random words put together =/

But the ingame soundtrack is named Route of all evil. May I know what exactly were you talking about?

To prove me correct Here you are

And yes, the 4 horsemen are war, famine, pestilence and death.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

I bet to differ

But the ingame soundtrack is named Route of all evil. May I know what exactly were you talking about?

Hence the song Route of all Evil, that is unlocked during a quest whille finding a ROUTE through a maze to dig up a ROOT is a word play of the saying Root of all Evil

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I bet to differ

Hence the song Route of all Evil, that is unlocked during a quest whille finding a ROUTE through a maze to dig up a ROOT is a word play of the saying Root of all Evil

Um... what root are you exactly talking about? The quest features you chasing after surok and killing Bork. Thats it.

nimetnbb.jpg

Got my quests muddled.

But its still a pun.

Surok is doing evil and this is the Root of Evil

As in the saying.

You have to find a Route thru the chaos tunnels to follow him.

Still wordplay

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Got my quests muddled.

But its still a pun.

Surok is doing evil and this is the Root of Evil

As in the saying.

You have to find a Route thru the chaos tunnels to follow him.

Still wordplay

Suit yourself, then.

nimetnbb.jpg

Lol you seem to be getting annoyed by this.

How can you not see its a pun

Route and root (in uk english especially) are pronounced exactly the same way.

Hence swapping the words is word play making as spoken outload Route of all Evil is the same as Root of all evil

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Hence swapping the words is word play making as spoken outload Route of all Evil is the same as Root of all evil

but Shakespeare lived before the Great Vowel Shift of 1450-1750 (yes, 300 years), and so the pun would be lost on him. <3:

Sorry, just had to continue the line of argumentation all the way. Over-speculation and over-interpretation are over the top.

I am not getting annoyed at all.

Yes I can see it is a pun. But then again, reference it is not

nimetnbb.jpg

How can a word play on the popualr saying the Root of Evil not be a reference to the Root of Evil saying?

That is the whole point of a word pun, referencing something else.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Too bad the third horsemen is actually Conquest.

Actually, Pestilence, I believe.

Pastilence yes :thumbup:

The first one is War, it ends when you find the gift of peace.

When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, "Come!" Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a huge sword.

revelation 6:3-4

Agreed

The second one is Famine, it ends when you find the grain of plenty.

When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

revelation 6:5-6

Agreed

the fourth one is Death, it ends when you find the cradle of life

When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, "Come!" I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

revelation 6:7-8

Agreed

the third one is Plague, it ends when you find the box of health.

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

revelation 6:1-2

Hmm, how about no?

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

How can a word play on the popualr saying the Root of Evil not be a reference to the Root of Evil saying?

But it is far-fetched.

And pestilence is the same thing as plague.

nimetnbb.jpg

But it is far-fetched.

And pestilence is the same thing as plague.

*facepalm*

what i tried to make clear that it isnt pestilience or plague, but its conquest.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

You're Dutch. Who cares what you say? ;)

Not really to start hating here or something, but

DURR IM SEREPHURUS AND 911 HAPPENED BECAUSE TERRORIST HATE MY FREEDOM

(i still love you <3: )

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

You're Dutch. Who cares what you say? ;)

Not really to start hating here or something, but

DURR IM SEREPHURUS AND 911 HAPPENED BECAUSE TERRORIST HATE MY FREEDOM

(i still love you <3: )

LMAO :lol:

Aren't we discussing the plague, war, famine, and death references in the Stronghold of Security thing?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

revelation 6:7-8

In this passage they say the 4 damages the 4 horseman caused to earth: War, Famine, Plague and Death. The 4 horseman.

Also, there are various versions of the bible, and the bible itself was re-written by Alexander the Great, so it's hard to pinpoint the 3rd horseman.