Philosophy sub-forum on the Off-Topic board

Romy

Pretty self explenatory, create a sub-forum for Philosophy on the Off-Topic board, as there are quite many Philosophy threads&discussion there.

EDIT-

Question to any Mod who'd answer it- Is it against the rules to start a 'for and against' thread on the Off-Topic containing a petition list?

If there was one, i'd never do any of my philosophy homework myself :D

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

No need to fragment off topic any more than it already is, not to mention the fact that there isn't much philisophical discussion going on in OT, and when there is it usually quickly degrades to people calling each other idiots.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

What would be left, then, to discuss in Off-Topic?

This, lol.

Everything else? On the general Off-Topic board there are more none-Philosophy threads than Philosophy threads, and yet there are quite a few, IMO enough for a sub-forum.

No need to fragment off topic any more than it already is, not to mention the fact that there isn't much philisophical discussion going on in OT, and when there is it usually quickly degrades to people calling each other idiots.

I beg the differ, there's quite a bit discussion over Philosophy, and from what I've seen the TIFers like it.

If anything, I think a Philosophy sub-forum is more likely to lower idiot-calling over Philosophy, because the ones to go there would usualy be those who are interested in mature discussions methinks :^_^: .

I beg the differ, there's quite a bit discussion over Philosophy, and from what I've seen the TIFers like it.

If anything, I think a Philosphy sub-forum is more likely to lower idiot-calling over Philosophy, because the ones to go there would usualy be those who are interested in mature discussions methinks :^_^: .

While those mature enough to handle philosophical discussions, there's quite a large number of immature tifer's who'd go there solely to call people idiots because it gives them a good feeling that they obviously aren't receiving in real life.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

If anything, I think a Philosphy sub-forum is more likely to lower idiot-calling over Philosophy, because the ones to go there would usualy be those who are interested in mature discussions methinks :^_^: .

While those mature enough to handle philosophical discussions, there's quite a large number of immature tifer's who'd go there solely to call people idiots because it gives them a good feeling that they obviously aren't receiving in real life.

That's your opinion. I think the Off-Topic section is one that many mature TIFers go to, and a Philosophy sub-forum would narrow it down even more.

Surely some idiots would do as you said, but nothing more than any other forum/sub-forum.

I added a question to the main post for any Mods willing to answer. Thanks in advance.

No need to fragment off topic any more than it already is.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. If we have a philosophy subforum then why not a psychology subforum or a forum just for news articles or a forum for religion, etc. etc. I just don't see a philosophy subforum as necessary or particularly successful.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. If we have a philosophy subforum then why not a psychology subforum or a forum just for news articles or a forum for religion, etc. etc. I just don't see a philosophy subforum as necessary or particularly successful.

I think religion, to some extent, belongs under Philosophy.

As for the others, because they're not that popular. I can't see a Psychology sub-forum popular at all for instance.

I think religion, to some extent, belongs under Philosophy.

As for the others, because they're not that popular. I can't see a Psychology sub-forum popular at all for instance.

Those were just random examples. Philosophy doesn't seem all that popular to me either.. at least not on its own. Philosophy overlaps a lot of topics but not all topics are entered into with the intent of being a philosophical discussion.. many topics simply turn into that over time. The subforums we have now are there because many discussions are started with that topic in mind, but I have not seen many discussions start with philosophy in mind. It's something that people draw into a pre-existing discussion.. at least from what I've seen. I don't think it would exist well on its own because it overlaps so many different topics that are already discussed in Off-Topic. It would be a strain to try to channel those topics into a different forum or pick and choose where they belong (in Off-Topic or the hypothetical Philosophy subforum).

And actually, news articles and religion topics pop up all the time :P (well religion is integrated into many different topics).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

What would be left, then, to discuss in Off-Topic?

Pretty much this. Off-Topic does not need to be split up any more than it has been. Topics aren't flying off the page, they are easy to see/reply to/find again.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

• 1 month later...

Gotta agree with that.

I think a "News" sub-forum would be of far more use.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

In the case of Philosophy sub forum and a News sub forum, I definitely think a News one would win with me, but Off Topic is fine as is. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

I don't see the need for it.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln